Comments for: Secret Chambers of the Heart

Talk to Adaneth

Nath - 06 Jul 12 - 8:38 AM

It was a pleasant surprise to see another story in this series starting. I'm looking forward to the updates.

Adaneth - 09 Jul 12 - 8:13 AM

Thank you for such prompt comments after my long absence, Nath, Elrûn, and Freyalyn!  It has taken me a while to convince the Dwarves to open up enough to tell this story, but hopefully you will find it worth the wait.

I can promise you will not be stranded in suspense while I hammer the end out of them this time, since the story is essentially complete and the next is clear in my mind.  (Anybody want to see the RL vs. Dwarven Muse cage match?)

Cheers--

Adaneth

Adaneth - 12 Jul 12 - 5:44 AM

I'm glad you're enjoying the story, Akatsukami!  And here's another chapter for everyone.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Adaneth - 19 Jul 12 - 6:36 AM

I'm glad you're enjoying the story, Nath and Elrûn.  I've just posted the next chapter, so you can find out whether you'll be seeing more of Grimr!

Cheers--

Adaneth

Adaneth - 27 Jul 12 - 5:26 AM

Glad to see all these Dwarves haven't put you off, Nath!  Bitterness is, alas, something they are prone to, but hopefully Grimr's luck will turn.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Akatsukami - 25 Oct 12 - 5:38 PM

I don't know :(

I'll have to re-read Chapters  9 and 10 carefully, but it seems  to me that in the matter of the bridge Sút was guilty of no more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Is Veylin's not unjustified distaste for her leading him into being harsher toward than he should?

chix - 01 Apr 13 - 11:32 AM

I have just discovered your Dunhebaid Cycle, and I am addicted! I hope there's more to come. Thank you for sharing your work!

Elrûn - 07 Jul 12 - 1:31 PM

Ch. 1: Longest Day

Dear Adaneth,

How glad I am to see your story continued - and in such a brilliant way, too! Just like your previous instalments, this new chapter shows an immense narrative depth. I will eagerly await its continuation.

With gratitude for a half-hour full of mirth:

Elrûn

Freyalyn - 09 Jul 12 - 2:42 AM

Ch. 1: Longest Day

I'm so glad that we're learning more about your take on this world.  Thank you.

Akatsukami - 12 Jul 12 - 3:57 AM

Ch. 1: Longest Day

I'm glad to see another story from your pen (or word processor Grin)

Nath - 12 Jul 12 - 10:56 AM

Ch. 2: Try the Man

Another enjoyable chapter!

Elrûn - 15 Jul 12 - 12:43 PM

Ch. 2: Try the Man

Dear Adaneth,

Grimr strikes me as a worthy dwarf - I find myself wishing for him to play a part in the fortunes of Gunduzahar...

Elrûn

Elrûn - 24 Jul 12 - 10:24 AM

Ch. 3: Ninth Part of a Hair

Dear Adaneth,

Grimr seems to harbour great bitterness, indeed - may the future be kinder to him!

Elrûn

Akatsukami - 08 Sep 12 - 7:33 AM

Ch. 3: Ninth Part of a Hair

"Are only Men poor?"

The Gunduzahar venturers seem fairly well off!  Grimr's share (a tenth of a penny on a shilling) is probably only about a third to a half of what he would ordinarily expect as a master-level smith…but he's getting his room and board gratis, which in turn would ordinarily account for the great majority of his income.  Gunduzahar's productivity, or Veylin's assertion that "I do not believe a stinted man can give his best work.  I want a man's best, and I am willing to pay for it."?

Adaneth - 14 Sep 12 - 1:46 PM

Ch. 3: Ninth Part of a Hair

Thank you for your comments, Akatsukami!

Gunduzahar is a profitable venture, unusually so for the Blue Mountains at this time in Middle-earth's history.  With two kindreds of Dwarves (Firebeards and Broadbeams) working over the mountains for three Ages of the world, I expect most of the riches were found long ago, and the smaller lodes worked out.  This is why I've put the rich pickings near the sea, which Dwarves normally avoid.

The copper and other minerals coming out of Gunduzahar itself are profitable, but the real wealth comes from Veylin's prospecting for gems, which is why he keeps fretting that he doesn't get to do more of it.

As for Grimr's pay and perqs, he is benefitting from the fact that Veylin is an unusually generous Dwarf.  "Your hands will flow with gold, but over you gold will have no dominion."  Such a softie.  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 29 Jul 12 - 1:10 PM

Ch. 4: Most Knowing of Persons

Dear Adaneth,

The glimpse of the dwarven mansion is most intriguing - as is Auð's openness to Grimr...

Elrûn

Elrûn - 06 Aug 12 - 11:52 AM

Ch. 5: Fast Friends

Dear Adaneth,

This chapter even benefits from the long months that stretch between its making and the previous instalments - it gives you a realistic feeling of the amount of time during which Saelon and Veylin did not see each other. Their relationship remains enigmatic - even to Veylin himself...

Elrûn

Adaneth - 09 Aug 12 - 12:55 PM

Ch. 5: Fast Friends

Thank you for your continuing comments, Elrûn!  This week you can find out what Dírmaen thinks of Veylin's visit.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait an extra week for the following chapter, however.  I'm running off into the Wild, as I do this time of year, but unless the wolves or bears get me, there will be more to read before the end of the month.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 24 Aug 12 - 7:18 AM

Ch. 6: Man to Man

Dear Adaneth,

It has always been somewhat puzzling to me why dwarves should be in awe of horses... May Grimr yet find more pleasant - and profitable - employment for his skills!

Elrûn

Adaneth - 26 Aug 12 - 10:15 AM

Ch. 6: Man to Man

Hello, Elrûn--sorry for the tardy reply (and posting), but I have returned from the Wild.  Fortunately no one had started selling my spoons.  Wink

I have always assumed Dwarves don't like horses because they are just so big.  Dwarves don't have any problems with ponies, but if you're between three and a half and four and a half feet tall, a horse is awfully high.  (And Dwarves dislike situations where their height leaves them open to ridicule.)

But don't worry--Grimr is having a better time in the chapter I just posted.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 28 Sep 12 - 12:15 PM

Ch. 11: The Innocence of Our Neighbors

Dear Adaneth,

Having just returned from the wilderness myself, I finally find the time to briefly commment on your latest installments. I find them really riveting, all the more since you rise to the challenge of describing dwarfen matters of the heart. All in all, I would describe your writing with a term coined by the French classics: it is vraisemblable, which is a rare treat indeed. Thank you for it!

Elrûn

Adaneth - 28 Sep 12 - 1:12 PM

Ch. 11: The Innocence of Our Neighbors

It is vraisemblable, which is a rare treat indeed.

Adaneth - 28 Sep 12 - 1:15 PM

Ch. 11: The Innocence of Our Neighbors

Arg!  Where did the rest of that comment go?

Let's try again.

Thank you, Elrûn!  I'm glad you like the way I've fleshed out Dwarvish culture based on the little Tolkien gave us.  When I started writing these stories, I wasn't sure it would work at this level.  I hope you find the next installment as life-like.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 19 Oct 12 - 11:38 AM

Ch. 14: A New Road

Adaneth,

I really like the occasional reference to the First Age. That adds a lot of mythic grandeur to your story. I am really curious to find out how things unfold!

Elrûn