Comments for: Black Wing

Talk to Anglachel

Black Wing

Nath - 01 Aug 10 - 7:37 PM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

*heh* One cannot help but think that Denethor is enjoying himself a lot more than Aragorn, and that Gandalf is not having fun at all.

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

maeglin - 07 Aug 10 - 10:16 AM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

Awesome.  Instantly the best Denethor-survives story.  Hope there'll be a chapter 2!

maeglin

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

Anglachel - 07 Aug 10 - 10:47 AM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

Nath - Denethor is clearly having the most fun. Aragorn, however, is handling the situation best, I think.  He's the only one whose heart has not hardened.

maeglin - The entire AU is written out in my head. I'm not sure it will make it to virtual paper, but maybe.  Bilbo is tapping his foot impatiently and giving me The Eye to remind me I have some unfinished work in the Shire.

Ang

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

Julie - 03 Sep 10 - 1:34 AM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

In middle of the night I had an urge to reread a HotK scene, and happily found this. Thanks for more Denethor ... and a *snerk* for the Gandalf bit.

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

Rugi - 26 Feb 11 - 5:49 AM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

I am a sucker for stories where Denethor survives the pyre.  Because I love Denethor and also because I'm fascinated to see how such a proud, intelligent, and strong man would deal with what he'd done.  I loved getting this glimpse of your HotK characters grown - seeing Holle in Faramir and vice versa.  And I also enjoy your slightly jaundiced take on Gandalf and, to a lesser extent, Aragorn.  Aragorn's " I left you alone for too long," really cut me to my heart.  Loved it.  Like everyone else, I'd be interested to see more, although this story works beautifully as a stand alone.

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

Agape4Gondor - 26 Feb 11 - 1:36 PM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

Very glad for the comments section on the front page! I don't know how I missed this on it's first go-round, but glad I found it today.

Wonderful piece. I loved the 'cutting,' the clothes, the surprises, and especially, the ring of secret. I love that you put the little bit about 'look-alikes.' It is very important to me - that bond that must connect them somewhere.

Well done! Now - waiting for chapter two, though I do so want more Bilbo.

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

Anglachel - 26 Feb 11 - 9:19 PM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

Hi Rugi,

Sorry for not answering sooner. I'm traveling at the moment and only look in sporadically.

As I wrote HotK, it became clear that there were two loves in Denethor's life - Finduilas and Thorongil. Yes, he was jealous of Thorongil and resented the usurpation, but by Umbar, he was ready to acknowledge the king because he loved and trusted the man. What I didn't realize until quite late in the story was that Thorongil returned that respect and affection, but not the trust. It's probably only in hindsight that he grasps what his flight did to Denethor, and he is profoundly guilty. I left you alone for too long.  To him, Denethor was a big brother, much as Boromir was to Faramir, the powerful, decisive, elder who never stopped being the younger's defender. It shocks him to see this person fall so far. Even as he knows how and why Denethor's flaws led to his downfall, he has no less love for his big brother. He knows Denethor well enough that, without anyone saying a word, he instantly grasps what Denethor has done, addressing him correctly as Captain-General.

Denethor knows this. It is a source of solace and of anger. If you love me why did you go? Can you really forgive me, or is this just pity? Hence his reply that he wishes to see if his faith in Thorongil was well placed - the path to redemption for both of them (the flight after Umbar, the suicide/murder attempt) lies is getting this right.

Anglachel

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

Anglachel - 26 Feb 11 - 9:25 PM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

Hi Agape,

Heh. Denethor is always ready for a good secret, especially at the Captain's expense. As I said in the previous comment, to me they are brothers or almost-twins, manifesting different facets of the traits they share. No second chapter being planned, though I did think through a scene of Denethor meeting Eowyn for the first time. He rather approves of her.

Anglachel

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

helga - 30 Nov 12 - 8:54 PM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

Yay  - omg!  I discovered this awhile ago, but jut now read it.  "Hands of the King" is one of my all time favorites, and I really love this "extension."  After creating such an intriguing Denethor - that the reader wants to like - I was so glad to see what you did with this alternate ending.  Or, if you need any encouragement, if this isn't yet the end, I will be looking forward to the next episode.  It would be interesting to get Denethor's reaction upon meeting Eowyn, especially if she ends up as his daughter-ion-law.  I'd kind of like to see him remain in Minas Tirith after it's all over - what would he do?  Set up an alchemy/science lab?  Translations from Haradic?

Go to Black Wing

Black Wing

Anglachel - 24 Sep 13 - 7:42 PM

Ch. 1: Black Wing

Hi Helga,

I'm so sorry I missed the comment you posted, um, last November. (Hides head in shame...).

Denethor likes forward, strong-willed women, having been brought up in a clan of them, so Eowyn would be right up his alley. He'd always maintain that Faramir was not quite good enough for her (though not really - he'd be proud of the kid for winning over such a cool wife). And the grand-babies would be spoiled like no one's business.

I don't think he could stay in Minas Tirith, especially after Arwen showed up, but he would do interesting things elsewhere. Much to Thorongil's annoyance. Kind of a permanent thorn in the side of the new king. The dynamic between them would be interesting, to say the least, with Denethor pulled between seething resentment and helpless devotion, while Aragorn tries to win his "brother" back and gain Denethor's trust, despite the opinion of pretty much everyone that the former Steward's hatred is implacable.

It all hinges on forgiveness, as the mariner said.

Thanks for reading,