Comments for: The Sons of Thunder

Talk to ziggy

The Sons of Thunder

curiouswombat - 26 Dec 11 - 3:04 AM

Ch. 41: Chapter 41: The Last Battle

Oh my!  What a Christmas gift for us - this long, complex and wonderfully visual chapter.

What a picture of the battle you paint for us - and what a swirl of emotions.  Bravo Ziggy!

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

eliza61 - 26 Dec 11 - 10:30 AM

Ch. 41: Chapter 41: The Last Battle

Wow, now that was a rollercoaster ride.  One minute I'm screaming "about time" to Elrohir and the next I'm screaming "they're all going to die".   I also love to read Pippins perspective on the events.

Well done Ziggy & thanks.

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Aiwendiel - 28 Dec 11 - 2:10 PM

Ch. 41: Chapter 41: The Last Battle

Whoa -- this chapter left me breathless! What a mad, chaotic, thrilling battle scene. Loved so much of it: the intimate scenes with Pippin; Gimli, indominable, Gimli; Legolas the supreme archer of all time; fleeting glimpses of shining Gandalf; Imrahil, Eomer; Aragorn -- wha...! But but...wait a sec...; and of course, OF COURSE you just excel here with Elrohir and the converging wraiths -- I'm getting shivers just commenting on it -- please, will you save them, please? Next chapter immediately, I demand it!

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

AndreaH - 28 Dec 11 - 2:27 PM

Ch. 41: Chapter 41: The Last Battle

Argh!! Where are Frodo and Sam, and what are they doing??? Besides increasing the tension mightily? That damn sword, you've been hinting at something like this for chapters. Excellent work!

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

ziggy - 01 Jan 12 - 7:26 AM

Ch. 41: Chapter 41: The Last Battle

Oh yes- that cliffhanger, Andrea- sorry about that. Inevitable I'm afraid. But don't worry- the second part of that chapter is just about ready and should be up by next weekend at the latest. You'll understand why it had to be like this when you've read the next bit. And that damned sword, oh yes! It was always going to leave him, wasn't it.

You know I said just one more chapter... well, things just don't always turn out like you think they will...Smile

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Azalais - 18 Feb 12 - 12:46 AM

Ch. 41: Chapter 41: The Last Battle

Reading this chapter really brings home to me how little detail of this battle we get in canon. Presumably JRRT just wanted to push on with his plot... but it's easy in canon to feel as though hardly any time at all elapsed between the beginning of the battle and the coming of the Eagles/fall of Barad-dur. You put all that horror and fear back in terrible detail.

Poor Pippin - I hadn't thought of that implication for him of the suggestion to the Nazgul that Merry had the Ring...

Good to see moments of energetic, able Legolas back, "striding quickly through the ranks of Men to the front line, arrows loosely held in one hand, his bow in the other" - I've really missed that Legolas these last few chapters!

Love the fact that Legolas can withstand the Nazgul's threat -

I tire of you, whelp of Azgarâzir. When this is done, do not think we will neglect you.

but falls apart when he thinks Elrohir is dead.

Oh, oh, and this:

"I will find you,' he said, pulling back and gazing into the green-gold eyes that were full of wonder. 'When this is done, I will find you.'"

gave me a great big lump in my throat.  (Can't wait for them to get there!)

Go to The Sons of Thunder