Comments for: The Sons of Thunder

Talk to ziggy

The Sons of Thunder

Erulisse - 21 Jan 11 - 6:19 PM

Ch. 25: Vigil

Jeez, Ziggy.  Just when I thought this couldn't possibly get any better, it does.  Now bringing the others into the mix, and leaving it where you did...  And Elrohir's admission of guilt to Elladan...  I always look forward to the next chapter, and I'm always disappointed when I am finished reading it (although I will read it again and again), but you never fail to deliver something that keeps me seated on the edge of my chair.

- Erulisse (one L)

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Tanis - 21 Jan 11 - 7:29 PM

Ch. 25: Vigil

Damn!  As I've been thinking about this story and what might be coming, I was wondering if you were going to throw us back to Minas Tirith for an easy, quick chapter and a little breathing room.  I was gonna be so wicked if you did that to us!  And what happens, the chapter opens with GImli and Elladan on the walls of the city!

::howls:: what a showman you are!  You could give lessons to P.T. Barnum!  (maybe he isn't famous across the pond, but on the US side, he's a famous entertainer - well known for his showmanship).   Almost - I threw up my hands and went to egg houses to burn off my wrath, but I perserved and found, to my great relief, the entire chapter was not about the folks left behind!

AND my tarnished hope is brightening considerably after this chapter.  I printed it out before reading it this time, but it was no different, I still had to put it down and pace around the kitchen often before picking it up to read again.

So the things I loved about this chapter ... the descriptions of Elrohir handling the threads of Legolas' soul - incomparable.  The etheral tenderness woven into the words describing Legolas in his vulnerable state, terribly frightened by the ending he's obviously sensing, yet unwilling - still - to have Elrohir use the ring.  Gimli's grief - served up with perfect side of righteous indignation.  Gandalf's tenderness, now the elf is dead (damn him too!), but still heart-wrenching.  Elrohir's brokeness (he deserves to be a sorry, broken elf- he's still not forgiven) as he gives Legolas to Gandalf, and then with Elladan.  And the putting on of the ring ... oh golly ... where oh where will that lead?  Will Elrohir be able to fight the power of it, when he meets the Nazgul again, which appears to be immienent.  Will he be able to turn its power to his own use?

Not that I care - the Nazgul can nibble him to death from toes to fingers so long as Gandalf and Gimli get Legolas away.  But then what if the Maia does not have the power to return the fear (no little umlats or punctuation marks on my computer, I have to copy and paste them all - sorry) to the body on his own????  What if he needs Elrohir to sing to Legolas to seal the seams and make him whole again?

Oh god, flay me with that feather boa the snakey Nazgul adorned himself with in the last review.  I'm dying an exquisite inch-by-tortourous inch death as you play with my mind, Ziggy!

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

elftart - 22 Jan 11 - 4:04 AM

Ch. 25: Vigil

OMG How could you leave us hanging like that !!!!!

i will hold my breath till the next chapter so please may it be ASAP.This is a great story , even if we are all very stressed out here. Please hurry..

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

Azalais - 22 Jan 11 - 1:46 PM

Ch. 25: Vigil

Wonderful tension on the walls of the City as they watch the mountains; I did heartlessly enjoy Gandalf's horror as he realised how far things had departed from his oh-so-clever plan! Serve him right!

And Gimli, again, just right - his steadfastness, his very private rituals (so Dwarven), his fury and grief. Stroke of genius to have his presence be the thing that makes it possible for Legolas's rapidy-fading spirit to follow his body down the mountain.

And now the Peredhil get to take their fury out on the Nazgul, and vice versa - that should be a battle and a half! Waiting impatiently...

(Also finding myself speculating ahead about whether, if Legolas *is* saved, he's going to be fit enough to ride out to the Black Gate - seems most unlikely on the face of it; or, come to think of it, will the entire assault  by the Captains of the West prove unnecessary in this AU since Sauron is presumably quite distracted enough already? But I'm getting way too far ahead!)

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

curiouswombat - 25 Jan 11 - 1:49 PM

Ch. 25: Vigil

I have put off reading this chapter because I knew how strong, and how painful, it was likely to be and I have been writing a Rumil/Tindómë sex scene - it was never going to mix!

And what a powerful chapter. Gimli is perfect - I love the idea of a dwarven rosary.  And what an excellent portrayal of Gandalf, there on the city walls, when he realises the plan may not, really, have been his at all.  Although I wanted to yell 'serves you bloody well right!' and possibly hit him with something like a heavy dwarven boot.

And Legolas - I want to take his frightened, lost, fëa and hug him.  I even want to hug Elrohir - and then hit him - hard!

All this emotion -  I was right to wait until I'd finished the gently kinky het sex!

Go to The Sons of Thunder

The Sons of Thunder

AndreaH - 10 Sep 11 - 3:39 PM

Ch. 25: Vigil

Not at all the twist I thought of 2 chapters back when I wondered about Elrohir's plan. Lovely twisting and turning, I'll have to go back and read again (but it's midnight, so not today).

Gimli telling a rosary, what a beautiful, unexpected image. And of course, why hadn't I ever wondered what happened to Angmar's ring? Can Gandalf put Legolas back together without Elrohir fast enough? Why doesn't Gandalf realize that Elrohir is wearing the ring, he should sense it immediately! Or is he?

And how is Elladan going to cope with his brother's confession...

Go to The Sons of Thunder