Comments for: In the Prophet's Tent

Talk to The Lauderdale

In the Prophet's Tent

thelauderdale - 13 Feb 10 - 4:23 PM

Interesting, in an oddly non-squicky way.  I like the way you put more into your OC orcs than most do.

@Freyalyn:

Thank you for commenting.  I have a fondness for them and it probably shows. 8)  Glad you didn't find the story too squicky.

Go to In the Prophet's Tent

In the Prophet's Tent

DrummerWench - 11 Mar 10 - 9:20 PM

I really liked this! It "humanizes" the orcs, and shows the humans as not much better...  Also really appreciated the enigmatic treatment of the seer's vision & the way you let the reader wonder just what she said.  Very very nice!

Go to In the Prophet's Tent

In the Prophet's Tent

thelauderdale - 15 Mar 10 - 6:32 PM

@DrummerWench:

Thanks for your review!  I enjoyed writing from this particular character's POV.  I'm also glad that you enjoyed the ending - I have an RL friend who read this story and was completely irritated by the ending and felt like it had wasted her time, so I know it could have gone the other way...

Go to In the Prophet's Tent

In the Prophet's Tent

Lynx of Isengard - 03 Jul 11 - 8:47 PM

I do so love this story - worth a read again and again. Viewing it with fresh eyes, I must say, it's refreshing to read Orcs being Orcs and then some. That is to say, as crude as they are, they're more than beasts, and the relationship the narrator has with the Southron woman is certainly not static.

It's also nice, the air of mystery you leave. Whereas I feel in my writing I might be giving too much up, this particular story keeps me wondering and wanting more. With all due respect, I'd love adopting that kind of tone in my future writing, for sure, and very soon.

Go to In the Prophet's Tent

In the Prophet's Tent

thelauderdale - 07 Jul 11 - 7:02 PM

@Lynx of Isengard:

Thank you for commenting on my story!  I appreciated what you said about the relationship between the Orc and the Southron woman not being static.  Was it friendship, or was it something more, or was it never more than a matter of convenience?  I actually change my mind about it myself, and I think our unnamed friend keeps more secrets than just that one at the end.

With regard to that enigmatic quality: it's not always a balance that I strike in my other writing.  And I'm not sure it necessarily has to be.  It depends in large part on the story in question and on what you want it to accomplish.  But I was very glad to pull it off here.
Happy to find you posting on HASA, and excited to discover the the rewrite of "Foul Dips Into Fair" in progress!  If you want to talk Orcs, feel free to stop by the local Here Be Orcs forum.  (Yes, I use that title in more than one place.  Yes, I have no shame.)  It's been sitting inactive for a while, but I'm getting ready to post there again, and it would be fun to talk Orcs and Orc-fic with a fellow fan. ;)

Go to In the Prophet's Tent