Comments for: The Abduction of Éomer, King of Rohan

Talk to Lialathuveril

Cuinwen - 19 Feb 10 - 7:19 PM

I am enjoying your Lothiriel/Eomer story very much!  This is rollicking good fun and I look forward to your next installment.

Karajada - 12 Apr 10 - 8:35 PM

I adore this story!  The character interaction is fantastic. An excellent and unique development of the relationship between Éomer and Lothíriel.  I can't wait for the finish, but I don't want it to end, it's too much fun!  Smile

Ailiniel - 15 Apr 10 - 11:10 PM

Although I was noy a hudge Eomer's fan,you are going to make me one for sure!

Thank you for this wonderful story and may your hand recover soon!

Ailiniel

Angaloth - 18 Jan 10 - 6:35 PM

Ch. 1: Chapter 1

Another great start to what I assume will be another great Eomer/Lothiriel story! I have a very strong feeling that this "Leona" is in fact no ordinary courier, but a certain someone who wanted to meet the Princess of Dol Amroth...

Freyalyn - 19 Jan 10 - 2:13 AM

Ch. 1: Chapter 1

I'm pretty sure we can guess who Leona is!  But I'd have been really insulted that if someone had thought I didn't know how to ride outside my own back door!  She's got a good comback though.

tinwen - 20 Jan 10 - 6:44 AM

Ch. 1: Chapter 1

Hello Lia!

All your E/L stories are excellent and I know this one will be too. I hope Léona is Éomer in disgiuse. I eagerly wait for more. Hugs Judit

Wave

Bluedot - 25 Jan 10 - 1:25 PM

Ch. 2: Chapter 2

I cannot wait to see what plan is unfurling in Lothiriel's mind - although the title may be a giveaway here? I have no doubt this will another excellent story - I very much look forward to the next instalment!Smile

Angaloth - 25 Jan 10 - 5:09 PM

Ch. 2: Chapter 2

I love cases of mistaken identity; this means that there is going to be drama, and if the title of this fic is any indication, humor and lots of Eomer/Lothiriel goodness--excellent. What could she possibly be planning? I'd watch out if I were "Léona".

Just out of curiosity, is Amrothos your favorite prince of Dol Amroth? Or do you simply use him most of the time because he is the youngest of Lothiriel's brothers? Either way, I guess he's always been my favorite of the three since he's commonly portrayed as the charmingly handsome Lothario of Middle-earth and is usually Lothiriel's confidant.

I'm also wondering who pseudo-Eomer will end up being... my guesses will be either Elfhelm or Erkenbrand.

Freyalyn - 26 Jan 10 - 12:53 AM

Ch. 2: Chapter 2

Oh dear, I just know she is going to do something stupid and be horribly embarassed.  And we'll love reading about it. But I hope 'Leona' is going to pay for his way of checking out his bride.

Angaloth - 02 Feb 10 - 9:17 PM

Ch. 3: Chapter 3

Curiouser and curiouser! I wonder what Lothiriel is hoping to accomplish... if I understand the situation correctly, she wants Amrothos to "escort" her to Minis Tirith and have everyone else think she ran away by going the "long" way around Cair Andros? Interesting...

I love the images you present, especially these: "Some of the Rohirrim and a good number of King Elessar's guard must have come to visit their Dol Amroth comrades, at least judging by the loud and off key singing drifting through the night", the image of poor drunk/drugged Amrothos happily snoring away in his carpet cacoon, and the very end, "a boat-length away an arm emerged from the water, flailing about wildly. A heartbeat later a head followed." I can't wait to see what his reaction is--I also can't wait to see where you're going with this!

Bluedot - 03 Feb 10 - 10:52 AM

Ch. 3: Chapter 3

What a cliffhanger! I had to read it twice as the first time I read it too quickly. Excellent chapter again,  I love how independent and capable Lothiriel is, although perhaps a little too much? Glad you post so regularly, it's torture to have to wait for the next chapter.

Brilliant stuff!

Bluedot Smile

Freyalyn - 05 Feb 10 - 12:29 AM

Ch. 3: Chapter 3

I have a feeling it's not Amrothos she's kidnapped...

Bluedot - 10 Feb 10 - 11:57 AM

Ch. 4: Chapter 4

I'm really loving this story, and the interaction between Leona and Lothiriel is fascinating. You can see there are equal amounts of attraction and dislike - but I can guess which one will win in the end (thank goodness!).

I laughed when she drew on her royal position and ordered him about - serves him right really! Yet she did notice the smell of 'wet man'. Let's hope it's not as bad as wet dog!

Thanks for updating so swiftly - it's helped me through a rough day at work.

Bluedot

Angaloth - 10 Feb 10 - 9:22 PM

Ch. 4: Chapter 4

I totally didn't see that coming...at all. Excellent.

This chapter also really made me like Lothiriel's character (and Eomer's too). Lothiriel doesn't seem like the type of person who is easily cowed, but I wonder if she would be as arguementative if she knew of his higher rank; she also doesn't seem to have noticed the fact that he addresses her by her name, which seems a bit familiar to me... even if he is a king. But that seems like such an "Eomer" thing to do, especially with the way you usually characterize him. : )

Their banter is fantastic, by the way. I love Lothiriel's logic: "Well, you shouldn't go to sleep in my brother's tent then, should you." Serves him right then, in my opinion.

Best line(s) of all: "I can guarantee you that the King of Rohan won't be interested in marrying you after this escapade. You may have my word on that." --if only she knew!

I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Freyalyn - 11 Feb 10 - 2:45 AM

Ch. 4: Chapter 4

Oops!  I wonder how long it'll be before Leona confesses!  What is Lothiriel going to do when she realises that she has completely ruined any reputation she has?   Great fun.

Bluedot - 25 Feb 10 - 9:19 AM

Ch. 5: Chapter 5

Wonderful chapter - seems to really flesh out the characters and some possible hints about where it's all going. I get the distinct feeling that 'Leona' is really rather enjoying all this, although he seems to be warming to Lothiriel too. Slowly ... of course.

I'm impressed as well by Lothriel's knowledge of birds and particularly edible plants - always useful when you end up kidnapping the wrong man and end up having to rough it in the wilds! Wink

Bluedot

Angaloth - 24 Feb 10 - 3:02 PM

Ch. 6: Chapter 6

Something that stood out in this chapter was the very end. Lothiriel makes some interesting observations about Eomer while he's sleeping; the one that sticks out most is the last one--"Vulnerable." Actually, it's the fact that she has to remind herself of their "differences" in rank that I find interesting. She is obviously fighting off her attraction to him now that she notices his vulnerabilities, not just in the way he looks while he's asleep, but his mental vulnerabilities, which are made evident by the descriptions of Wormtongue and his family's deaths. Not that she's not already attracted to him, but this seems to be one of the first times, if I'm remebering correctly, that she knows who "Leona" is and she *somewhat* admits to herself that she's attracted to him. Also, she doesn't really make any observations about him being half naked; I mean, she notices that he is well-built and in shape, but what seems to stick out for her are the physical scars. I can only conclude that Lothiriel is the nuturing type and while I do not want to say "maternal", I think she wants to nuture him...she evens says, "I just wish I could do something to help." I think in most of your other stories, physical attraction plays a bigger role--and it might later down the road in this one.

Anyway, it just seems different...less focus on the physical attraction and more on the emotional bonding. : )

Most importantly...I liked this chapter. Hope you don't mind the rambling.

Bluedot - 25 Feb 10 - 9:29 AM

Ch. 6: Chapter 6

Mmm, things are definitely going up a notch! I suspect that 'Leona' hasn't really had much opportunity to talk about the war, and the sacrifices he has had to make, and it does seem to open Lothiriel's eyes too.

It's good to see 'Leona' from a different angle, although there's nothing wrong with the wet shirt angle either. Two mentions of 'wet man' in the same story (not that I'm counting or anything ...).

Can't wait for the next instalment - really glad you choose to share it.

Bluedot

Bluedot - 04 Mar 10 - 11:26 AM

Ch. 7: Chapter 7

Ooh, wonderful chapter again, the tension is really building up! And not just in terms of action ...

What a lovely tender moment that was, when 'Leona' and Lothiriel have that embrace. Really well written. And then to add that sense of fear with the men following them ... phew. I think Lothiriel is finally beginning to realise that her plan will have serious consequences, not just by causing great distress to her family but also by putting herself in danger.

Also love the way you describe the environment, animals etc - makes it very easy to imagine what is all looks like.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

Bluedot

Freyalyn - 05 Mar 10 - 12:35 AM

Ch. 7: Chapter 7

*Now* she realises what a twit she's been!  Love how you're writing this, even if I do want to give this particular Lothiriel a slap.

Bluedot - 16 Mar 10 - 1:35 PM

Ch. 8: Chapter 8

A late review but hopefully it's worthwhile! This was quite a tense chapter, in the sense that the attraction that has simmering for some time, is really coming into its own! It's been building up for a while, but phew - I had to read that bit twice!

I'm really impressed how you've described their budding romance, as well as their reactions, which seem wholly natural. How gentlemanly of Leona to allow Lothiriel to hit him ... although I'm glad she didn't. I would imagine she's not be too kind (but only if he's really deserved it)!

I must admit I cannot wait how Lothiriel will react when she realises who Leona really is, but don't worry, I shall wait patiently until that happens and continue to enjoy the story.

Bluedot.

Bluedot - 18 Mar 10 - 11:24 AM

Ch. 9: Chapter 9

This chapter had it all - humour, tension, adventure, romance ... I loved it!

That was indeed a very clever trick to evade being caught, and I think you did this with a great deal of humour.

I'm really sorry you've strained your hand, and I hope it's not too painful for you. All my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bluedot.

kathie1441 - 24 Mar 10 - 4:02 PM

Ch. 10: Chapter 10

Oh poor Eomer! He can't win for losing can he? By the time he actually manages to tell her his true identity she's going to be ready to take him out to the street and burn him! Speaking of which, I died laughing at Lothíriel's reaction to that bit of info! Somethings it might be best if he didn't share - she's a self confessed pyro after all!

Another wonderful chapter, thank you! Hope your hand is better soon!

Freyalyn - 25 Mar 10 - 3:58 AM

Ch. 10: Chapter 10

Yep, Leona's backed himself into a real corner here - she'll skin him when he confesses all.  And please, hurry to the denouement.  I really want to see this Lothiriel tell all the men in her life exactly what she thinks of them!  (And then go and die of embarassment....)  But do look after yourself, too.  Thank you.

Bluedot - 25 Mar 10 - 10:39 AM

Ch. 10: Chapter 10

Ooh ... what a moment to cut the story off! Like the other people who have commented, I cannot wait how Lothiriel will react and how much trouble 'Leona' will be in once the truth is out (and let's face it, he is definitely in big trouble no matter what!)

I really liked the addition of the couple which further showed the positive side of Lothiriel's elopement, in that her actions have inspired Maedwen to leave her abusive husband. On the negative side it made Lothiriel realise again (or perhaps made it even clearer) that she is causing her family serious concern and upset and also how much danger she has put herself in.

Very well written - I really admire how you've created these very believable characters and cannot wait until the next update.

I really hope your hand will get better soon. Perhaps this would be a good time to encourage your children to do some more chores at home  so you can rest your hand!

Bluedot

Thanwen - 26 Mar 10 - 12:36 PM

Ch. 10: Chapter 10

So Gondor's women are taking a leaf out of Lotiriel's book...Aragorn should really be thankful that Eomer will take her to Rohan soon, ridding him of the danger of being King of a country full of runaway wives and daughters and burning beds! I enjoyed that bit of Rohan customs very much and have quite a bad conscience for being so greedy for more.

Don't let me foolishly press you though, take your time and look after your hand, I'll wait patiently and will enjoy the next chapter all the more.

Thanwen

kathie1441 - 31 Mar 10 - 6:15 PM

Ch. 11: Chapter 11

That girl really needs to know when to shut up doesn't she? Laugh out loud First she gives Maedwen away, then herself! So embarassed! We still haven't gotten to see Eomer tell her the truth, and now we've got a cliffie to suffer until the next update. You are an evil one aren't you? You little devil! Glad to hear your hand is doing a bit better though. Happy Easter!

Thanwen - 01 Apr 10 - 8:32 AM

Ch. 11: Chapter 11

Uuaahh! What a way to stop a chapter leaving us cliff-hanging over Easter! I really enjoyed the comming up of some action though and the possibility of an ending quite different from what I have been expecting up to now.

It's nice to see the difference of these two young couples: really the hawks and the pidgeons! I admire the way you make this spoilt brat of a princess think and behave usefully and rationally the moment ther is a real task in front of her that has to be managed, be it cooking or fighting rogues, and the way she and "Leona" interact as a team against odds. That surely looks hopeful as far as their future is concerned.

Thank you and Happy Easter!

Bluedot - 03 Apr 10 - 7:34 AM

Ch. 11: Chapter 11

Great cliffhanger moment, and what a nasty piece of work that Corethir is (and wonderfully realised, all the more to show 'Leona's' good traits perhaps?).

Now I know that it's necessary for Lothiriel to learn a few lessons, but I do hope she won't have to suffer too many more injuries! Poor thing.

Glad to hear your wrist is on the mend, do take it easy though! Have a good Easter yourself.

Bluedot.

kathie1441 - 08 Apr 10 - 12:08 AM

Ch. 12: Chapter 12

Oh no you didn't! You cliffied me a twice in a row!! I know you said you do enjoy cliff hangers but have a heart - twice in a row! Tongue out So the truth is out now. Poor Lothiriel is having something of a bad day, isn't she? Clonked on the head and then she finds out her courier is a king and managed to pass out herself! Still I hope she doesn't drag it out to far, he's been a really good sport for her. Not every King would put up with being kidnapped and dunked, twice now, and humor her runaway dreams as he did. I don't think I expressed that very well, but it's 3AM and I am very tired. I couldn't bring myself to wait though, when the email notification hit my phone I had to log in and read it! Thank you for another excellent chapter. Keep looking after that hand!

Thanwen - 09 Apr 10 - 6:37 AM

Ch. 12: Chapter 12

I just don't know, is it me overinterpreting, or is there really a much more serious trace in this chapter? For the first time in your lovely story I feel like having to take Lothiriel serious and even to pity her. What a development from the mischievous girl of the beginning!

Certainly she is mentally shaken as a result of her fight with Corethir and perhaps aswell because of her injury, but she cries due to relief that "Leona" is OK! From the moment she recovers, she is concerned about his wellbeing, despite her obvious concussion, and she not only lets him touch her and/or enjoys the more or less accidental moments of bodily contact as before, but embraces him, not because she feels somehow attracted, but because she realises, how much she cares for him. I've got the feeling that here a much more responsible young woman comes to the surface, one we have up to now only seen like momentary flashlights blinking through her "I'm the Princess of Dol Amroth"-attitude.

I think it's quite cruel of you to show her clinging to "Leona" body and soul, thinking of what problems he might have with his king, being so utterly naive on the one hand and intelligent and responsible on the other at the same time, and have Eomer asking her to trust him, knowing all the time he is misleading her. Well, I have to admit that you really managed to portray him as an incarnation of guilty conscience, but my... I don't think being pushed off the pier will be enough punishment! I enjoyed the way you let his feelings show through his body language.

And as for Lothiriel: It's amazing how vulnerable you make her appear even in her fierce confrontation with Leona/Eomer just by keeping her voice low in a situation she would be yelling at the top of her lungs just a few days ago. It really does you proud!

Well, as Firefoot is already present, show some mercy and pack them off to the Houses of Healing before Imrahil gets suspicious and decides to have Eomer's hide! Thank you for one more convincing chapter!

Bluedot - 11 Apr 10 - 9:45 AM

Ch. 12: Chapter 12

What an ending ... I was cheering and letting out gasps of shock at the same time! I always knew Eomer was going to be in deep trouble once he revealed who he really was, but Lothiriel's agony and pain is quite beyond what I had expected. It completely sits right with the story and I think it shows she has developed and changed even within the short time she has been away. Whilst Eomer's really untimely revelation of who he is has completely thrown her, I suspect she'll get over it soon enough (I certainly hope so!).

Absolutely brilliantly written chapter, I cannot tell you how much I enjoy the story!

Glad you are back to your old writing self - hope the hand is completely better!

Bluedot.

Freyalyn - 14 Apr 10 - 2:39 AM

Ch. 12: Chapter 12

What a cliffie!  But really, it's appalling of Leona, and I think you've now left yourself with a big job of sorting them out.  Lothiririel has put herself in the situation of being stuck with him now, but he's misled her unforgiveably.  How will she ever regard him amicably again?

Hurry, please?

Freyalyn - 14 Apr 10 - 1:01 PM

Ch. 13: Chapter 13

Well, if I was this Lothiriel I think I've had stabbed him by now, or at least pushed him in the river with his arms wrapped up in his cloak.  I'm steaming on her behalf.  Don't you dare let her go all wet on him (metaphorically speaking!).  But thanks for a lovely story.

kathie1441 - 14 Apr 10 - 1:25 PM

Ch. 13: Chapter 13

Another cliffie! Oh well, I can't say you didn't warn me. Poor Lothiriel - so very confused. She had begun to understand the consequences of what she'd done before the got home - but learning of the rumors that her continued actions are feeding finally opened her eyes truly, I think. I am a little shocked that the prince didn't realize the consequenses of offering a reward for her. So Eomer must have been in contact with his men at some point post kidnapping, or they'd have no reason to put out the story that he was ill instead of missing, nor would they have known when and where to meet him with his horse. I half wondered about that, and suspect it was when he'd gone to get the cabbages and supplies the first day, while Lothiriel slpet. I totally did not expect a reversed kidnapping when I tried to guess how you'd work this out. How perfectly in character for Leona! Which I suspect may be his point? That she fell in love with Leona and he wants her to face that he is Leona. I wonder if Amrothos is in on this, or in for a shock?! Another wonderful chapter Lialathuveril! Can't wait for more!

Bluedot - 14 Apr 10 - 2:57 PM

Ch. 13: Chapter 13

Oh my, she didn't quite break her head but her poor heart ... She is well and truly within her right to be utterly furious with Eomer though  - and he deserves it. He can be a bit ... righteous, can't he?

I am half wondering if Corethir has come back from the dead and seized his moment to kidnap her but I am sincerely hoping Eomer is simply taking a leaf out of her book to just really get his point across.

I know that my favourite couple from Middle Earth will get it together but I still cannot wait to see how you've decided to get to that point. Fantastic bit of writing.

Enjoy your holiday and have a lovely, relaxing time. Look forward to the next chapter!

Bluedot

Thanwen - 15 Apr 10 - 8:48 AM

Ch. 13: Chapter 13

Madness seems to be catching, let's hope it is not hereditary! That was my first emotional reaction, reading about Eomer abducting Lothiriel, but when I thought it over, I had to admit that it is quite in tune with the general atmosphere of the story and throughout logical with regard to how the two protagonists have been presented up to now. Tolkien himself presents Eomer as a man who is able of rather strong emotions and can be swept away by them past any limit, as his actions on the Pelennor, where he rather recklessly risked his army, show. His reputation in Minas Tirith being lost anyway, he does just what general gossip believes him capable of: He abducts her "in a fit of unrequited love".

I'm just not sure if it really was a fit or a planned action, because as we come to realize now, he must have done quite a bit of planning during the last days, not only while Lothiriel slept and finds after waking up that she does not like his "self-satisfied smile on bit",but aswell later in the same chapter, when a boat is rowed upstream past her hidingplace while "Leona" is in the nearby village. So some planning obviously is there in showing up on the pier, but I'm not so sure if he was determined to abduct her before talking to her.

Why? Well, he promised her that he would not do anything against her will, and I do not expect such a violation of character at the end of a story that has up to now not shown any kind of that. Look at her contradictory behaviour, when she talks about Eomer with her father and her brother! Imrahil has quite a reason to sigh! And then: She is an incredibly bad liar, and throughout the story "Leona" was well able to understand her true thoughts and feelings, regardless of what she told him.

If we now look at their talk on the pier, and read about her thoughts and feelings, we can well imagine what Eomer can see plainly: She wants to throw herself in his arms, but she can't, as a matter of principle! And when she turns away to hide her tears, we can be quite sure that he knows she is crying. So perhaps he acts on the spot, like when he kissed her at the end of the journey, because he realizes that there won't be another chance for them!

Oh my...I've written quite a lot in defence of madness, but anyway: It's spring folks!

Thank you Lia, for a nice surprise!

Cuinwen - 15 Apr 10 - 6:08 PM

Ch. 13: Chapter 13

Hmm, well now Éomer DID promise to escort Lothiriel to Minas Tirith, didn't he?  And he hasn't quite gotten her there, has he?  And then, too, there is the matter of his promise to that unfortunate couple that he would speak to the powers that be on their behalf, for which he needs a second reliable witness.

To be honest, all this chapter long, I was wondering why he was so ready to walk away from his committments.  I have my fingers crossed he hasn't.

Nice twist, though.  Lothiriel is mending, but clearly not to be reasoned with just now, and a little bit of 'turnabout is fair play' feels right for Éomer.

Lithoniel - 20 Apr 10 - 1:12 PM

Ch. 14: Chapter 14

Well, have a lovely holiday but do please please hurry back. I'm looking forward so much to the epilogue and the conclusion to this lovely story.

Ailiniel - 21 Apr 10 - 1:47 AM

Ch. 14: Chapter 14

I knew it!The King of Rohan missing and no panic caused smells like somebody had his hand in and that hand smelled like athelas!

May you have a nice and inspirationnal holiday!

Freyalyn - 21 Apr 10 - 3:29 AM

Ch. 14: Chapter 14

OK, I'll admit it, you finished it well for them both.  I think I'd have slapped him, but he 'crawled' as best he could, and the admission of love came at just the right time.  Thank you for another lovely little story.

Bluedot - 21 Apr 10 - 12:14 PM

Ch. 14: Chapter 14

Well, what a lovely ending - I sincerely hope that Imrahil won't be too upset, and Amrothos will accept his new brother-in-law! And how nice to see a slightly softer side to Eomer, even though he found it hard to show. I really like this Lothiriel, she a very human but strong character and I hope you will weave her into a future story.

I look forward to the epilogue to finish the story off completely.

I was a bit premature with the holiday wishes last week but I do hope you have a good break - just try and avoid going anywhere with volcanos!

Bluedot

Thanwen - 13 May 10 - 3:29 AM

Ch. 15: Epilogue

"... but I recognized cabbages when I saw them."ROTFLMAOOh my... Lia, you really saved my day! Just to imagine Eomer as he ordered to have that engagement present made for her, and the dumbfolded expression of the goldsmith made me cry with mirth.

Thank you for such an easy-going ending of your story, it makes it easier to part with it, just by keeping me giggling for the rest of the day.

Bluedot - 16 May 10 - 7:26 AM

Ch. 15: Epilogue

Wonderful ... perfect ending, and I just love how well Lothiriel and Eomer suit each other. I can imagine they will still be like this in their eighties!

I'm very sad it's come to an end so soon! I very much look forward to your next bit of writing which I hope will include my favourite couple from Middle Earth!

Thanks so much for this marvelous story and sharing it with us.

Bluedot

Ygrain - 16 May 10 - 11:06 AM

Ch. 15: Epilogue

"... but I recognized cabbages when I saw them." That'll be the quote of the year, I suppose Laugh out loud. Thank you for keeping me entertained. Some continuation, please?