Comments for: Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Talk to Dwimordene

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

IVIaedhros - 04 Dec 08 - 11:06 AM

Ch. 45: The High Road

Hmm, what a wonderful afternoon surprise.  I have no real comments to offer in this straightforward section here other to than to once again say that you do a wonderful job of channeling the good professor (indeed, this chapter, I think more than any other in memory) through your language and your themes of fellowship and endurance while still finding your own flare.

Oh, and I love this,

" but the other part was moving already – out of habit, or mayhap something less benign."

Tolkien himself implied several times throughout his books that a higher power pushed Frodo and the others.  In the movies, we see Galadrial.  While that line might have specifically refered to ring, I think it's fascinating to think of Frodo being steered and nerved against his normal will by the likes of the Elves and the Valar.  It kind of reinforces the sacrifice that was demanded of him.

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Dwimordene - 07 Dec 08 - 1:40 PM

Ch. 45: The High Road

Hi IVIaedhros,

It's been a long wait, hasn't it? Thanks for sticking with me!

And again, thank you. I keep trying to figure out ways of injecting something new into the descriptions, to mark a distance from Tolkien while still using a style that is more like his own. Glad it's working out!

Higher or lower, depending on how one views them, I suppose. But certainly we're dealing with possession of a sort, so I figure it's appropriate to exploit the opening.

Now, to get across Gorgoroth...

Dwim

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

ziggy - 23 Dec 08 - 4:05 AM

Ch. 45: The High Road

At last a small ray of hope, even though it is amidst complete desolation. THe gradual solidifying of Sam into a real presence over the last two chapters has been fascinating, but also the deep tenderness Sam has is terribly moving- just that line, 'Time to go' is very quiet and gentle. And throughout that despair, the way they are almost playing out their parts even though it is doomed, hangs over everything when I read this. I am more thna  little overawed to tell the truth!

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Dwimordene - 24 Dec 08 - 1:19 PM

Ch. 45: The High Road

Dear Ziggy,

The gradual solidifying of Sam into a real presence over the last two chapters has been fascinating

Yes! I'm so glad that that transition into a solid real presence is working.

I'm also very relieved that the emotional rapport seems to be believable. You would not believe how hard Sam fought me for those last paragraphs, especially!

Thanks so much for commenting - happy holidays, and happy reading!

Dwim

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Skeeve - 02 Jan 09 - 1:05 PM

Ch. 45: The High Road

Excellent work, as always. Still trying to figure out where you're going with it. I had thought that Sam's presence in Frodo's mind (real or imagined) might be some kind of temptation on the part of the Ring, but that doesn't square with the fact that Sam is apparently helping Frodo "get 'er done." Now would be the perfect time to betray him to Sauron, after all. Maybe the Ring has ambitions of its own?

Well, enough fruitless speculation. I eagerly wait the next installment, hopefully coming in the not-too-distant future (as they used to say on MST3K).

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

docmon - 05 Jan 09 - 11:40 AM

Ch. 45: The High Road

Dwim!

A long-awaited update! Very glad to see it.

So, so, so glad to see Sam here, with a physical presence no less (didn't expect to get that much). Regardless of what he is, how it came to pass, for now, I'll take it. I don't for a minute assume that he's alive. I've learned to abandon my hope when reading this story.  Devilish Besides, I've noticed little clues, like how Sam seems to know Frodo's thoughts. Whatever he is, it's my guess he's not human. That's my opinion, at least!

The longer we wait, the less there is of me to go forward.

That line captured for me the despair and heartbreak present in both Tolkien's version and yours. The whole chapter was a portrait of despair, in fact. It downright hurt to read Frodo's agony while climbing through Mordor, but that was the point wasn't it? And I doubly appreciated the moments when he stopped to appreciate and wonder at Sam's presence. I was nearly as grateful. As I was for this update. Hopefully it won't be as long for the next! Grin

docmon

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Dwimordene - 07 Jan 09 - 10:03 AM

Ch. 45: The High Road

Hi Skeeve,

Sam is meant to be mysterious at this point. Eventually, you'll be able to test your theories, though.

Maybe the Ring has ambitions of its own?

It definitely has its own mind. I'll pass on speculating as to whether that mind includes independent ambition.

Hopefully in the not-too-distant-future (okay, more like May...) I'll be able to post the next chapter. Thanks for your comments!

Dwim

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Dwimordene - 07 Jan 09 - 10:09 AM

Ch. 45: The High Road

Hello docmon,

Yes, a rather lengthy wait for an update. Sorry about that. This chapter was evil.

I don't for a minute assume that he's alive. ...Whatever he is, it's my guess he's not human. That's my opinion, at least!

Good guess - won't say more than that, but good guess. Devilish

Pretty much. Honestly, he probably should be dead, but there are forces at work, etc.

Oh good. That part was really tricky to pull off. I needed it, but I am still not certain it was the best way to write it. I just couldn't find another way! But I'm pleased that it seems to have struck the right note regardless of all the trials and travails it gave me.

Hopefully, the next update will come sometime in May, after the semester is over. We'll see. I swear, getting through Mordor is almost as hard for me as it is for Frodo...

Take care,

Dwim

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash

thelauderdale - 24 Dec 11 - 9:48 AM

Ch. 45: The High Road

...what ARE you, Sam?

It's true that you are being all manner of tender and Sammish with Frodo, and the happiest explanation would be that you are an honest specter allowed to attend your poor master by a higher power - or, a needful delusion crafted by Frodo's desperate brain.  But my theories are darker than that.  Wouldn't *this* be a great way to reel the Ringbearer in...

Go to Lie Down in the Darkness, Rise up from the Ash