Comments for: Deeper than Breathing

Talk to ziggy

Imber - 18 Apr 10 - 4:47 AM

Only recently registered with this site so haven't been able to comment before. I have really enjoyed this story. Your characterization of Legolas is close to mine! I like the lack of explanation - meaningful looks that I have to understand (or not) without the author spelling it out for me. I'm looking forward to following the sequel. Please don't abandon this site although I have had a look at FFNet as well.

curiouswombat - 22 Dec 08 - 5:08 AM

Ch. 1: Chapter 1: Legolas

A fascinating chapter.  I look forward to more of this story.

curiouswombat - 24 Dec 08 - 4:16 PM

Ch. 2: Chapter 2:

This is a fascinating idea, and is really holding my interest.  Thank you.

ziggy - 24 Dec 08 - 5:19 PM

Ch. 2: Chapter 2:

Thanks Curiouswombat (great name- there's a stroy in that somewhere!) It is nice to know someone's reading and enjoying this. Hope I've got the balance right.

Ziggy

curiouswombat - 29 Dec 08 - 3:58 AM

Ch. 4: Grima

Another well written and fascinating chapter.

The scenes with Grima were so poignant - like Legolas I felt sad that he had
had to be killed rather than saved.  Which is pretty good going, as he is
not a character for whom I had previously had any sympathy.

I am now curious about Gandalf...

curiouswombat - 03 Jan 09 - 3:41 AM

Ch. 5: Chapter 5: Eomer

This really is quite beautifully written, from

"the elf lingered in his thoughts like a taste"

in the opening paragraph of this chapter to

"Eowyn blazed, like a wildfire, with intensity, and Eomer had the strength, the slow burning warmth of the sun"

towards the end of it. The relationships between the characters are so well portrayed, and the way the story twists and entwines itself with canon is so well done.

I look forward to each new chapter with anticipation, and am also impressed that you are able to update regularly!

curiouswombat - 15 Jan 09 - 2:49 PM

Ch. 6: Chapter 6: Gimli

I rather want to take both Éomer and Legolas and give them a hug at the moment.

And then give Éomer a hard poke with a pointy stick on the subject of women being able to help!

oshun - 17 Jan 09 - 2:12 PM

Ch. 6: Chapter 6: Gimli

I really like this story. Love the characterization and shading in it. Looking forward to reading the rest.

curiouswombat - 13 Feb 09 - 2:31 PM

Ch. 8: Chapter 8:Gandalf.

That chapter has left me quite breathless.

From the opening attempts by Legolas to break the pre-battle tension going into such real and frightening battle scenes was an excellent contrast.

I am always admiring of anyone who can write good battle scenes, and yours is very well written - I could feel, hear and taste it.  I thought the sudden jolt, the reminder that Legolas is a Mirkwood elf in the midst of a mens' battle but his own people are in the same war, was perfectly placed as well.

curiouswombat - 18 Feb 09 - 10:15 AM

Ch. 9: Chapter 9:Eomer and Legolas

Again a note just to say how well written this is.

I particularly liked Gimli's decision to stop Éowyn from elvish temptation by depositing her with someone 'reliable, scruffy and unattractive, like Aragorn'...!

curiouswombat - 15 Mar 09 - 8:50 AM

Ch. 10: Chapter 10:Fangorn

I really like Aragorn's air of innocence!  And Gimli possibly barking up the wrong tree...

The description of the effect Fangorn has on Legolas is very powerful; and how right Gimli's recognition that it is what he felt in Moria.

Oddly we seem to be writing in parallel - I am currently writing about elves skirting Fangorn, and have coined the slightly more feminine Sindarin phrase of 'adel-bein' for someone's beautiful behind!

ziggy - 15 Mar 09 - 11:34 PM

Ch. 10: Chapter 10:Fangorn

Thank you again, Curiouswombat!

I'm glad you liked the effect on Legolas of Fangorn. I am working on a side fic- almost fininshed, about Legolas and the Old Forest - will post probably this week. Next chapter of this is written and ready to post once Anarithilien has checked it.

WIll check out your stuff again to see what you are doing.

Ziggy

curiouswombat - 09 Apr 09 - 10:47 AM

Ch. 11: Chapter 11:

What a good idea about the tatoos - it makes perfect sense to me and I rather wish that I'd thought of it first!

curiouswombat - 16 May 09 - 3:24 PM

Ch. 12: Chapter 12 Pippin

Ah - firstly thanks for the shout-out.

Secondly - I have taken your advice and have been over to the Pit of Voles and read to the end - and it is a perfect ending point - if you are not going to post the rest of it here I shall have to bookmark it over there.

Thirdly - as it is finished, why not just post the rest of it a chapter a day here, simply so that it is marked off as 'complete', and no-one gets almost all the way through in the future and then finds it abandoned - even though the end is written?

curiouswombat - 01 Nov 09 - 7:28 AM

Ch. 13: Chapter 13: Saruman

I am so glad that you decided to finish this on this site too - it is selfish of me, but makes it easier to find to reread.  I had forgotten just how powerful this chapter is - it leaves me almost breathless.

curiouswombat - 07 Nov 09 - 12:11 PM

Ch. 16: Chapter 16:The choice

I have so enjoyed reading this here.  I really like your, fey, slightly other, Legolas.   His friendship with Gimli developing throughout the story as important as the tenuous, sweet, relationship with Éomer which 'is what it is'.

The language you use to describe Gimli's relationship with stone, metal, heat, and the forge is wonderful - so different from, yet evocative of, the way the Wood Elves relationship with forests and streams is usually written.

The sense of unease and awe in which Legolas holds the sons of Elrond is interesting, and rings true, I will be interested to see how this plays out in the sequel - somehow 'Sons of Thunder' makes me think of the twins, I wonder if I will be proved correct?

Aiwendiel - 23 Mar 12 - 11:55 AM

Ch. 16: Chapter 16:The choice

Okay -- at long last I have finished this lovely, rich story. Found Sons of Thunder first and had to go back and read the prequel. Mmmm, what a delicacy! Erotic, thick with sensual imagery, wildness, true friendship, and an amazingly interesting new take on the canon. Superb!

Now, just when are you going to get going and finish SofT?? Hurry up, please!