Comments for: Hand to Hand

Talk to Adaneth

Hand to Hand

DKP - 12 Jan 09 - 11:55 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

I had a good laugh after finishing the chapter when I reread your title and intro quote - you do such a great job on those!

Superb descriptions of the ancestral mansion, and thank you for the link to the real mountain on which it's based - spectacular. I love how Veylin's attachment to his new delf comes through as he looks on Sulûnduban.

Your Dwarves and Dwarven society are outstanding, as always. Your impeccable depth of research and world-building shine out in this chapter, with all the incredible details unfolding so naturally through the equally impeccable prose.

Bless Veylin! I adore him anyway, and really feel for him in this chapter. "You can choose your friends, but..." No wonder he enjoys Saelon's straightforward honesty! I also laughed at his reflections on Gwinnor (That he could not be bothered to do so was one more reason why he did not deserve its treasures. Excellent reasoning, IMHO. *g*)

It's easy to reflect on the petty and not-so-petty wranglings going on in here and weigh them against the growing Shadow, and see connections between the influence of Evil and a race's diminishing. Lof perhaps has much of the right of it, there.

Go to Hand to Hand

Hand to Hand

Freyalyn - 13 Jan 09 - 12:31 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

"Beardfoot" is inspired.  And your detailing and dialogue is as excellent as every.

Thank you for continuing this wonderful story.

Go to Hand to Hand

Hand to Hand

Elrûn - 13 Jan 09 - 1:40 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

Adaneth,

I can only agree with DKP: the one thing that comes to my mind when I read your stories is a feeling of depth. This is true of the latest chapter - but also of the grave way in which you portray the rangers' lot. Thank you for your inspired writing!

Elrûn

Go to Hand to Hand

Hand to Hand

Adaneth - 13 Jan 09 - 7:02 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

"Beardfoot" is inspired.

Thank you, Freyalyn!  It's one of those words that just "happened," and I keep thinking that maybe Tolkien used it somewhere, so I'm leery of taking credit for it.  Grin

Glad you're enjoying the story!

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Hand to Hand

Hand to Hand

Adaneth - 13 Jan 09 - 7:05 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

Well, it's difficult for Dwarves to reach great heights, so they go the other way.  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Hand to Hand

Hand to Hand

Adaneth - 13 Jan 09 - 7:52 AM

Ch. 5: Blue Devils

Bless Veylin! I adore him anyway, and really feel for him in this chapter.

Oh, he puts up a good front, and you'd think he had the world by the tail, but he's got his problems, too.  Dwarves grumble about the little things, but they don't want you to know about the serious ones.

Cheers--