Comments for: Loudwater

Talk to Adaneth

Loudwater

Freyalyn - 28 Feb 08 - 1:59 AM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

Oh, I like this. I realised what you were describing on the second reading.

"foul, foundered feet" - must remember this.

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

arelenriel - 28 Feb 08 - 12:36 PM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

Excellent poem and it describes the Bruinen wonderfully.

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

DKP - 29 Feb 08 - 8:24 PM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

This is gorgeously descriptive, Adaneth. I had such clear, shimmering images in my mind of the river, and the events at the Ford are perfectly played out from this PoV.

I love how you tied in Ulmo's use of the water (carrying news of the land to the Sea) and Elrond's own familial tie to the Sea.

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

Adaneth - 03 Mar 08 - 12:58 PM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

Thank you, Freyalyn, Arelenriel, and DKP, for those kind words about my drabble.  You all just want me to write more short pieces, don't you?  Wink

Just can't get away from that, can I? Grin  (I would have gotten back to you all sooner, but I was wandering the strand, feeding my Muse.)

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

Elena Tiriel - 10 Apr 08 - 7:00 PM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

Hi Adaneth,

This drabble is such a treat that I re-read it at every opportunity -- and I was pleased to see it featured on the HASA front page....

I've commented on it before, but please bear with me while I burble on again.... LOL!

The most surprising part is the PoV: what an inventive idea! And your Bruinen indeed has much to say.

Starting with "Drifts of rain or drifts of snow" is brilliant; it's just water, not even coalescing into a rivulet yet, or emerging as springs... yet it is already a conscious, sentient entity.

The language is so picturesque and evocative, I could almost feel the Bruinen's revulsion at being sullied by the feet of the Nazgûl horses.

I love how Elrond is referred to, as simply the Master or the Mariner's son... the river is busy taking messages to Ulmo, and so is privy to the more mythic aspects of Elrond's background.

And "Haven of the Mariner's son" is a perfect example of the many layers of meaning you put into this, suggesting Eärendil's ports of call as well as directly describing Imladris.

Sorry for the relatively inarticulate babbling, but I just had to let you know how much I enjoy reading Loudwater. I have added it to my Inspiring Drabbles playlist... and I'd like to subvert your muse, er, encourage you to write more drabbles in the future, since you clearly have such a talent for the form.

- Barbara

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

Adaneth - 14 Apr 08 - 6:27 AM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

. . . and I'd like to subvert your muse, er, encourage you to write more drabbles in the future, since you clearly have such a talent for the form.

Coming from you, Elena Tiriel, this is praise indeed.  I'm glad you enjoyed my first sally to much.  But you're not the one who has to live with the increasingly impatient Dwarves--and Ranger--in my head!  Wink  I need to get everyone home to Habad, so their stories can continue to unfold.

I think it's safe to say that I will probably write more drabbles at some point, whenever the Muse is taken that way.  I do have another short in mind, but have to get the cycle to the proper place for it to be told.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

Larner - 15 Jul 08 - 8:40 PM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

Again a joy to read, and such a wonderful response to Imhiriel's challenge.

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

Adaneth - 21 Jul 08 - 10:57 AM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

Again a joy to read, and such a wonderful response to Imhiriel's challenge.

Thank you, Larner!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I had better get back to convincing Veylin to share the next scene in my current story with me . . . .  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Loudwater

Loudwater

Freyalyn - 15 Dec 08 - 12:31 AM

Ch. 1: Loudwater

This reads aloud wonderfully.  Lovely piece of work.  Thank you.

Go to Loudwater