Comments for: A Cat In King Elessar's Court

Talk to Agape4Gondor

Kitt Otter - 30 Mar 08 - 7:44 AM

A very different perspective here - and creative. How can I ever again read RotK without looking for a cat? That cats feel emotions I agree on; thanks for the link.

I look forward to more!

-kitt

Agape4Gondor - 03 Apr 08 - 10:09 PM

Hi, kitt!

I'm glad the two of them finally met! I had begun to dispair. Sometimes, the cat does what he wants!

Thanks for your kind comments!

Agape4Gondor - 14 Apr 08 - 9:07 AM

Thanks, kitt, for your comments. Most appreciated!

The Cat is definitely proud - what would one expect from a descendant of Beruthiel's cats??? It also protects him, to a degree, in the atmosphere in which he now lives.

helga - 26 Dec 08 - 10:32 PM

I'm glad to see this back.  It seems to have been removed from the site for awhile?  Anyway, I'm relieved it's re-appeared, and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Very enjoyable and clever, a good mix of humor with more serious and touching writing.  If Henneth-Annun has a "Best Cat-Fic Award," this should definitely be nominated.

Kitt Otter - 31 Mar 08 - 8:55 AM

Ch. 5: Greetings and Salutations

Good, Pippin is brilliant! I am glad Pippin has someone to unburden to, and that Alqua keeps him from going too far.

-kitt

Kitt Otter - 05 Apr 08 - 10:04 AM

Ch. 6: Ill News and Foul Memories

Bearer of much bad news, I can imagine; I do not envy Alqua that task.

The interactions of Denethor and Alqua are so interesting. It is a side of Denethor (cat-liking!) that is unseen any other way.

-kitt

Kitt Otter - 12 Apr 08 - 10:41 AM

Ch. 7: An Unexpected Chat

Oh, that was surprising! I should have suspected the Wizard had known...

Alqua must retain his pride - so very like a cat. He must serve - excuse me - help both Gandalf and Denethor now, but at least that is a similar task for the moment: tail Pippin.

-kitt

Kitt Otter - 17 Apr 08 - 9:09 AM

Ch. 8: Livery

I am sure rationing would be no fun for a cat. (Horrors to think of the looks my cats would give if I called a rationing day!) Ah, so, the Cat's heart is cut between Pippin and the Steward. I like the pride Alqua has for them both, especially when his own "recomendations" are followed through.

-Kitt

SurgicalSteel - 20 Apr 08 - 5:59 AM

Ch. 8: Livery

Glad to see you posting this here! I feel sorry for the poor cat having to endure rationing - wouldn't be a fun thing at all. And even worse times are coming for all of them.

SurgicalSteel - 20 Apr 08 - 1:03 PM

Ch. 9: Saved

Sensible cat, recognizing the danger that the Nazgul represent!

Kitt Otter - 21 Apr 08 - 5:13 AM

Ch. 9: Saved

I like the different inflections given to Alqua's name. Hah, curse of Denethor!

Silly Pippin! Almost giving away everything again.

The only sensible thing is to be afraid of Nazgul; of course is Alqua.

-Kitt

Agape4Gondor - 02 May 08 - 12:00 PM

Ch. 9: Saved

Thanks, Kitt and Surgical Steel, for your kind words. The Cat is clearly aware of the dangers present with Nazgul.

Kitt Otter - 02 May 08 - 5:06 PM

Ch. 10: Daggers

This is a very sad scene; you skillfully follow it with the Cat. Yes, I wish humans would sometimes see as cats see!

-Kitt

Kitt Otter - 09 May 08 - 12:11 PM

Ch. 11: Understanding

Alqua's loyalty to Denethor still is refreshing; especially fascinating is his view on the situation and the particulars he sees.

I really liked this conversation between the cat and wizard.

-Kitt

Kitt Otter - 17 May 08 - 10:42 AM

Ch. 14: The Fate of Faramir

I love that Alqua got to talk to Faramir and reassure him.

Lots of heartbreak here - and sure to get all the worse. How will the Cat respond to his Steward's death?

-Kitt

Kitt Otter - 27 May 08 - 9:31 AM

Ch. 17: Denethor's Fire

A heart tearing trio of chapters! I almost wept with the Cat. I have rather been dreading Denethor's death. I think you showed the Cat's feelings so well; his tear from Denethor, his loneliness and his despair. At least he has Faramir to live for… but at the moment it doesn't seem at all hopeful. It was so sad, yet I loved the scene where the Cat mews to Faramir.

-Kitt

Kitt Otter - 25 Jun 08 - 5:07 PM

Ch. 23: Reality and Relief

You captured Ioreth's chattiness well. (But I do like her.)

How sad for Faramir, the Cat, and then Beregond! All torn by grief and guilt. Though the hobbits put some welcome light on after the past darker chapters.

Kitt

Agape4Gondor - 03 Jul 08 - 7:20 AM

Ch. 23: Reality and Relief

Thanks ever so much for your review, Kitt Otter... I like writing Ioreth - she was quite intelligent, IMHO, but I think lonely - Beregond will, I think, endure regret for the rest of his life. And yes! It is wondrous to have a Hobbit about during dark times. Blessings

Kitt Otter - 03 Jul 08 - 9:26 AM

Ch. 25: A Tent Full of Wonder

I liked Alqua's high thoughts on Merry - that he must, after all, be polite. The end of this chapter was beautiful. The Cat's revelations have me wondering back through the story; was his mind so poisoned; was he seeing clearly? The comparison of Aragorn's to Denethor's way of ruling was interesting.

Kitt : )

Kitt Otter - 30 Jul 08 - 9:24 AM

Ch. 26: Questions

I loved this chapter.  Aragorn is so understanding, but poor Alqua won't let himself be conforted.  So now can the Cat forgive Gandalf and see that Denethor as he knew him was gone?  Really, Denethor's death was almost necessary, as Aragorn says, would he have given him Gondor?   All interesting stuff, makes me think.

Chapter 27 needs to be tweaked... I cannot view it (but I gotta know what happens).  *g*

Kitt

Kitt Otter - 31 Jul 08 - 8:53 AM

Ch. 27: Allegiance

Thanks for updating!  I like the oath coming from the Cat - tickling but solemn.  And no, of course Alqua would not forswear it, and not after Aragorn entrusted his people and friends to him.  At least Alqua is finding happiness again!

Agape4Gondor - 02 Aug 08 - 7:06 AM

Ch. 27: Allegiance

I toyed with the oath - thought it should be changed somehow - but the lineage of the Cat demanded a proper oath... so I went with Tolkien's. Why not - he is the master after all.

As for happiness... There will always be a hole in Alqualonde's heart, but some of it will be filled.

Thanks ever so much for the review, Kitt Otter!

Kitt Otter - 19 Oct 08 - 10:17 AM

Ch. 31: The Tunnels of Mindolluin

Today was the day I decided to read this again… so much time slipped by without my knowing. I was delighted that the cat met Legolas and Gimli! I never imagined Gimli the cat-person, but he meant well. *snickers* No, beard hairs does not sound palatable in cream.

Pippin squealing in delight at the sight of Alqua reminded me so much of my brother it was almost scary. Be sure, his enthusiasm overwhelms most of the cats. I love this line: I held my paw to my forehead. A funny image that conjures up. Oh dear, the Cat really does have a loose tongue; and here he was chagrining Pippin!

I do think eating apples and cheese to the tale of the Witch-king was a wee bit out of place. But quite hobbity. Too bad Ioreth had to swoop in on them. Poor, poor Hurin! *giggles* I hope he is not too bruised.

This was a sadder chapter. I had not thought that much myself about the continuation of Alqua's lineage. It is true that the wounded soldiers would die as soldiers, even if not at the Gate. And what could the Cat be up to now?

Kitt

Agape4Gondor - 21 Oct 08 - 7:56 PM

Ch. 31: The Tunnels of Mindolluin

Your comments were priceless, Kitt. Many thanks!

So your brother resembles a hobbit? LOL

And yes, soldiers will die, whether in combat or protecting their people in 'hiding.'

Bless you for continuing to read and respond.

Kitt Otter - 06 Jun 08 - 9:17 AM

Ch. 43: Responses to A/N... FYI

Very believable grief - I say, Gandalf sometimes deserve a clawing. Aragorn's comfort was beautiful. And now Pippin knows... and that is just as well, I am glad he does. But he sure confused the poor Cat. Now things are in flux; this isn't the end of troubles and I am restless to see how it goes.

I do not consider this AU – very much "speculative canon". You show the complexities of Denethor and fill in spaces so wonderfully.

Kitt : )

ziggy - 27 Dec 08 - 10:30 AM

Ch. 43: Responses to A/N... FYI

Have just read this in one go and enjoyed it so much ! You portray Denethor in a really sympathetic light, which is great becasue he is much maligned in the films. He was a great steward who made one mistake - OK, quite a big one. Also, I have never thought about Gandalf NOT telling Denethor the Rohirrim were on their way- that put it all in a different light. My favourite chapter is actually the meeting between Gandalf and the Cat - wonderful!