Comments for: From Afar

Talk to Lizbit

Gwynnyd - 10 Mar 08 - 9:37 PM

It's not quite automatic, but the alert feature does exist.

Members can sign up for alerts for any story. Look on any story overview page in the center section called "My Library" to request one for that story.

Authors can send an alert to everyone who has requested one with one message by choosing "Send story alert" from their "My Stuff" menu or, after they add a chapter, there is also a link under the "Story" menu on the left hand side of their overview page.

Gwynnyd (with her Site Manager hat on)

Elfhild - 12 May 08 - 3:37 PM

You have written an excellent "what if" tale and did a really good job of exploring the trauma a character from the Third Age would feel if he suddenly found himself in today's world. First would come the shock and horror, the disbelief, homesickness, and finally acceptance. I thought the epilogue added greatly to the story, because the reader got to see what eventually happens to all of the characters. I liked the way that you wrote modern day life in the Tolkienesque style; it really gives everyday life an unexpected twist.

I read recently that you were ill. I am sorry to hear that and hope you are feeling better now. :)

I hope you write more stories in the future.

Elfhild

Arcadia - 08 Mar 09 - 2:00 PM

When I read the description, I didn't think I would enjoy this story at all. I thought it would be another self-insertion fic that was lame and painful to read. I found myself pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the story. Your portrayal of Boromir's puzzlement and fear of modern technologies is both believable and amusing. Overall, it was an enjoyable read, and it's a shame you don't have any other stories archived here. ;)

lubartow - 10 Feb 08 - 11:35 AM

Ch. 2: Madhouse

I am already hooked on this story and cannot wait to see why Boromir's elven-boat took so many milennia to get to Maine from third-age Middle Earth.  The purpose of my note is just to say - "Please continue the story!!"

Thanks

littlehobbitlost - 11 Feb 08 - 2:21 PM

Ch. 3: Back to Reality

Hi Lizbit,

Just a quick note to say that I'm really enjoying the tale as it starts to grow and also thanks to the other reviewers who saved the story before you deleted it.

Interesting direction you've taken-usually people get 'taken' the other way. I hope you stick at this and give it a proper go.

Good luck,

Little lost Hobbit

lubartow - 12 Feb 08 - 4:17 PM

Ch. 3: Back to Reality

Thanks to Elbereth that you did not delete this story!  Although the new chapter didn't answer my questions (anyway I didn't think that it would so soon), it certainly helped develop the two characters.  Although Boromir is extensively described by Tolkien, we never get to look inside his head - and your analysis of his thoughts is consistent with what we do read in the book.

Please keep going.

lubartow - 14 Feb 08 - 11:59 AM

Ch. 4: Mercy

A good chapter, but the story seems to be taking an ominous turn - how is she going to get Boromir out of there?  Morgan was quite right when she said she should have gone to another hospital but the basic problem is the same.

The basic premise, that the 21st century C.E. would completely disorient any strangers from milennia earlier, is believable.

(I have to admit that I usually don't like stories set in the modern USA rather than "authentic" ones from Middle Earth, but your writing is so good that this tale has "grown" on me.)

Peregrin_Ionad - 21 Feb 08 - 9:09 AM

Ch. 4: Mercy

Hey! great so far!

"I fear your Honda is dying,"  *snigger*

I wouldn't normally read things with Boromir in...but I'm rather enjoying it!

Pip Scuba

lubartow - 17 Feb 08 - 12:39 PM

Ch. 5: The English Patient

I just read Chapter Five and I have a question.  I don't think you (personally) are torturing Boromir - as some of your readers have accused, and actually he's still being treated better than the prisoners of Sauron or Morgoth!  But I don't understand why Morgan has not attempted to contact him?  Otherwise the story is quite believable in our paranoid age.

(Also I have what Tolken would call a "niggling" comment - I don't think Boromir could have thought he was being punished for his sins because to the best of my recollection there was no concept of "sin" in the Christian sense in middle earth.)

Elfhild - 17 Feb 08 - 3:54 PM

Ch. 5: The English Patient

This is an excellent story of culture/time shock. It's both very amusing, but yet at the same time, quite grim. If it had been a weaker man than Boromir who found himself in this situation, he probably really WOULD have gone crazy by now. Your depiction of a man from another time suddenly transplanted to today's world is very realistic. If he doesn't play his cards just right, the poor son of the Steward might soon find himself on the FBI's Most Wanted list and on the run from government agents who suspect him of terrorism.

I wonder why Boromir has found himself in the 21st century, however; whether he is there for some greater purpose, or if it is only the vagaries of time and space.

lubartow - 19 Feb 08 - 8:56 AM

Ch. 6: Land of the Free

No complaints about Chapter Six!  Please keep going - it seems that at this point Morgan will have to find out more about who Boromir really is.

lubartow - 20 Feb 08 - 5:54 PM

Ch. 7: An Education

Chapter Seven is certainly in a lighter vein than the earlier ones.  What intrigues me now about the plot is how Morgan (or any person now alive) could possibly ever believe the truth about Boromir.  What proof can he possibly give that his life was really lived in Middle Earth.  I know you have the answer (or I hope you do!) but I cannot possibly think of a happy ending to this dilemma.

I guess this is just another way of saying that you are managing to keep your readers interested in your story.  Well done?

Rithralindë - 20 Feb 08 - 11:28 PM

Ch. 7: An Education

'Rob Roy' was definitely out.

XD Definately...
Though, Robin Hood might be kindof funny to see what would happen, or The Princess Bride...
:-P

I enjoyed this chapter, and the earlier one involving his first experience in a 'Honda'. I think that is one of my favourite lines now, "I think your Honda is dying!" :-)

Episcopal Witch - 25 Feb 08 - 7:49 PM

Ch. 7: An Education

Two images especially stay with me after this chapter. One, Boromir after his bath, dripping and sexy (which although I am firmly bookverse I cannot help but imagining as Sean Bean). Two, Boromir getting wrought up over "Braveheart," a scene both funny and touching! Speaking of touching, that's how I find Boromir's last comments to Morgan. I hope he never finds out about her role in committing him to the mental hospital....

lubartow - 25 Feb 08 - 5:52 PM

Ch. 8: The Dinner Party

I loved Chapter Eight because Boromir finally got a chance to impress people by showing his skills as a warrior.  Unfortunately though, as Morgan's brother noted, people nowadays don't use swords much any more.  In some ways Boromir would have a harder time fitting into 21st century America than - for example - Faramir because he's more of a one-dimensional character (as I think your story as well as the book make clear).  But as he proved when he got out of the asylum, he is intelligent enough to cope with surroundings that certainly to him are quite bizarre.

A well-done chapter.

Rithralindë - 28 Feb 08 - 8:30 PM

Ch. 9: Unicorny

That is interesting you had Boromir reading Hamlet, I was thinking about your story the other day and thought how Hamlet might have been a better 'break the ice to the film concept' choice, but having him read it is far better! :-)
Though, I wonder what his opinion on Elizabethian english would be?Wink

lubartow - 29 Feb 08 - 1:29 PM

Ch. 9: Unicorny

In Chapter Nine the plot really develops, since Boromir and Megan have let their feelings be known.  Now maybe Megan will start to understand who her houseguest really is (at least I hope so).  I'm looking forward to it!!!!

Great job!

lubartow - 07 Mar 08 - 1:34 PM

Ch. 10: Marco Polo

This chapter was worth waiting for.

But it got me thinking - I've read stories about parallel universes (and enjoyed some), but I know from everything thing I've ever read about Middle Earth that it was only our earth as it was milennia ago.  So.....are our heroes on the right path?  And where is this leading?

Write some more!!!  I have too many questions.

lubartow - 09 Mar 08 - 1:45 PM

Ch. 11: Gondorian Idle

Just a note to say I enjoyed the latest chapter - it answers one question ("How on earth could someone from Gondor make a living in Maine?").  I don't know much about horses, but I am sure that training them has changed little through the centuries.

By the way, I'm probably as much of a stickler for detail as anyone, but I've learned to accept the fact that in these type of stories everyone speaks (or reads) English right from the start.  Having strangers learn the new language they encounter is just a detail that has to be gotten of the way, since anyone with any intelligence will get over it eventually.  So (and I think most readers will agree with me) why bother to make a big deal of it?  Your story is working just fine without any explanation of the language issue.

disa - 10 Mar 08 - 11:08 AM

Ch. 11: Gondorian Idle

Hi! I'm also new to HASA, and I had no idea you'd have to write me the email alert yourself! I guess I thought a message would pop up automatically in my inbox when you posted a new chapter or something lol...

I've been spying on this story for a while, but normally I never comment on any story since English isn't my first language and it would be so typically me to unintentionally say something really stupid:). Anyway, I liked this chapter! That Boromir got something to do made the story move forward - in a direction that I like! I'd miss him if you decided to send him back to Middle Earth:). And he has nothing to do there besides being dead anyway, right? *looks at you with big puppy eyes*

And I really like that you treat ME as a parallel universe and not the past, as some do, btw. Just the small fact that ME doesn't develop progressively would totally ruin the story for me otherwise;)...

Thanks for the story, and good luck with your writing!

disa

Rithralindë - 12 Mar 08 - 8:36 PM

Ch. 11: Gondorian Idle

I particularly liked this chapter, maybe it's because Boromir and I have gone through some of the same employment problems, and rewards. This may be the year of the rat, but it took me forever with interviews and millions of apps to start work back up again. I ended up finally finding a place the first time I walked in (which, situation wise, was literally the same as here Boromir. The person who previously had my job just got up and left, then like the fey I just decided to try the place and gave them an application, and was hired. To make it even more creepy, I work with animals too, but in pet grooming, except I have my fair share of dogs that could be horses if they wanted to...Rolling my eyesLaugh out loud).
I really enjoyed how you hit the nail on the head with his feeling afterwards. If anything could be exactly what it felt like for me to have a job again, it is as you wrote. That really made the chapter enjoyable and in some ways, heartwarming.

Wonderful work again! Keep it up, please!

lubartow - 14 Mar 08 - 2:43 PM

Ch. 12: Such Sweet Sorrow

Chapter Twelve is very good.  It shows considerable story-telling skill.

PLEASE get Chapter Thirteen out soon - the suspense is too much!!

Rithralindë - 15 Mar 08 - 6:29 PM

Ch. 12: Such Sweet Sorrow

Moglie dies?! Cry

The Tempest is indeed more humorous, I wonder what he'd think of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Always makes me laugh. Though, I'm really fond of The Merchant of Venice, but I see it more as a satire than the humor MND has.
That is neat you included more Shakespeare.

Ooh, now I can't wait for what happens next. Please keep writing, you are doing lovely m'dear.

tcilurso - 17 Mar 08 - 2:53 AM

Ch. 12: Such Sweet Sorrow

I've just signed up for HASA and found your story. I am ABSOLUTELY loving it. I absolutely adore Boromir (because I'm a huge Sean Bean fan) when he can survive Amon Hen. And your story is just so unique! Please keep the chapters coming because I'm totally enthralled with this.

disa - 17 Mar 08 - 7:17 AM

Ch. 13: Boromir the Brave

Oh, this made me so sad: I have a dog myself and I can totally relate to Morgans feelings! After reading the last chapter I was absolutely sure that the intruder was her ex, and it's intriguing that it looks like it might be more complicated than that:).

Write more soon!

disa

lubartow - 18 Mar 08 - 2:14 PM

Ch. 13: Boromir the Brave

The fight scene in Chapter 13 was worth waiting for!  It seems that the intruder (whoever he was - hope you'll let us know!) was no match for a warrior of Minas Tirith.  But someone should let Boromir know exactly what a pistol can do (though he is wise enough to sense it's pretty nasty).

The amazing thing about Tolkien's work is that it is such a treasury of stories that are only hinted at, such as the story of Mithrellas that you mentioned (which I had never even noticed), and how she was an ancestress of the Princes of Dol Amroth.

lubartow - 26 Mar 08 - 1:56 PM

Ch. 14: Farewell to Moglie

Glad you returned to the story for Chapter 14 - the song at the grave shows a side of Boromir that his friends never saw or suspected.  Well done!

tcilurso - 30 Mar 08 - 10:29 PM

Ch. 14: Farewell to Moglie

I'm really enjoying this story Lizbit. The lament for Moglie was so sweet of Boromir and I love that he and Morgan are finally getting closer. Am sorry to hear that the end is coming though.

This is really a fresh addition to the "miraculously undead Boromir" universe.

lubartow - 02 Apr 08 - 12:49 PM

Ch. 15: Boromir Son of Carl?

I read Chapter 15 and just wanted to send you encouragement to keep going!  The story is going well.  The romance is believable (assuming that Boromir was really interested in a woman's chastity, which is not something that Tolkien ever discussed) - in fact his emotions are very realistic.

Just a suggestion (not really a crtiticism) - the chage mid-way between the characters having lunch around noon and then going to bed that night was a bit abrupt - I had to re-read to realize that some time had elapsed.  Just a sentence or two could fix this.

Rithralindë - 10 Apr 08 - 5:24 PM

Ch. 16: Revelation

Oooh! Lovely chapter, this one transitioned beautifully!

At first I thought the jewelers' shop was going to fleece him or something, but that completely set up a happy-good feeling, thinking that really things were going to go well. The closing was wonderful, I couldn't think of a better way to leave us readers in anticipation.

Keep writing good lady! Hope that the next chapter is even more exciting.

tcilurso - 30 Apr 08 - 2:38 AM

Ch. 18: Epilogue

Lizbit -

I'm so sorry that you have been ill, and I too have been busy and had computer problems. Updates to this story have always brightened up my in-box, and I will miss them; however, I greatly enjoyed this story and glad that they had a happy ending.

If you ever write more stories (with Boromir or not), I'll be happy to read them.

Thank you.

Teri Cilurso

typ4doc@earthlink.net

lubartow - 01 May 08 - 2:50 PM

Ch. 18: Epilogue

I'm glad you shared the story with us (I was beginning to think it had been abandoned).  It kept my interest through the last chapter, which makes it a success in my opinion.   Well done!

Rithralindë - 14 May 08 - 8:32 PM

Ch. 18: Epilogue

Sorry I haven't been back so soon to let you know what I think, I've had so many things going on with work and a few of my classes, ugh.
Now that's over though, I greatly enjoyed the last chapter (even if it almost broke my heart as well! Thinking you'd do such a terrible thing...My lips are sealed), especially that it was written with such suspense and kept us on our toes (well, mine at least). I really enjoyed how you didn't take the easy way out, it made the story all the more thrilling to read and charming. Personally, when reviewing stories, I always try to look for this, and you m'lady have a knack for it!

As Teri has said, if you ever write any other works, please let us know!!! I'm really looking forward to any future works with any characters. Keep up the work, and don't be afraid of your talent and truly making a saga.