Comments for: Unwilling

Talk to Elena Tiriel

Unwilling

Adaneth - 15 Jan 08 - 8:16 AM

Ch. 1: Drabble

This is so poignant, Elena.  I have reached the age where I can compare the landscape around me unfavorably with what it was when I was younger: browner sky around the horizon, more asphalt and concrete.  And I'm not even an adult yet, by Elvish reckoning.

There are still some bastions of the Wild, and even some slight gains, however.  Once a year I have the privilege of taking a passle of 18-year-olds to a place where you can still drink the water right out of the lakes, and there are more stars in the sky than most of them have ever seen before.  Less than a century ago most of it was clearcut, but to the untrained eye it looks like pristine forest.

But these places are islands, and the tide is rising.  Stop to look at the trees, people.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Unwilling

Unwilling

Elena Tiriel - 22 Jan 08 - 12:24 AM

Ch. 1: Drabble

This is so poignant, Elena. I have reached the age where I can compare the landscape around me unfavorably with what it was when I was younger.... And I'm not even an adult yet, by Elvish reckoning.

Thank you, Adaneth! I, too, feel very callow by Elvish standards, but see how the changes have degraded our land. The soil in this valley is some of the richest and most productive in the world, yet it is now mostly covered in concrete.

There are still some bastions of the Wild, and even some slight gains, however.

That is so heartening! When I walk through an old-growth redwood forest, the peace, awe, and reverence in my heart is far greater than when I visited the Cathedral at Chartres.

Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement, Adaneth!

- Barbara

Go to Unwilling

Unwilling

Marta - 03 Feb 08 - 12:48 AM

Ch. 1: Drabble

E.T., there's a truly gripping poignancy of that last line, and the whole paragraph. This drabble really breathes life into the ents, makes them emotionally comprehensible to us humans without sacrificing that "other" quality. Well done!

Go to Unwilling

Unwilling

Elena Tiriel - 07 Feb 08 - 7:22 AM

Ch. 1: Drabble

Hi Marta!

Thank you so much for your kind words!

You know, I was actually thinking that the tree was just that, a tree... possibly a very ancient one. I  selected yew as the species because of its special properties (long-lived, good for making bows) and it's embedded in British mythology....

But I'm really pleased and excited by your suggestion that the tree is actually an Ent - what a great idea! I hereby deem it to be a Yew-ish Ent. (And I expanded my author's notes for the drabble, and gave you credit.)

Thank you for your great comments, Marta!

- Barbara

Go to Unwilling

Unwilling

Larner - 21 Sep 08 - 12:14 AM

Ch. 1: Drabble

And so the spirit of an Elf remains with the yew tree?  How sad, and yet how proper to the Elf's fading.

Yes, proper imagery here!

Go to Unwilling

Unwilling

Elena Tiriel - 23 Sep 08 - 11:40 PM

Ch. 1: Drabble

Hi Larner!

Yes indeed! And the yew-Ent is mourning the fading of the Elf after having lived so many millennia.

I must admit, I get the sniffles whenever I read this -- even though I already know what it says!

Yes, proper imagery here!

Thank you so much, Larner, for your very kind words!

- Barbara