Comments for: After Stormy Seas

Talk to Adaneth

mffantasia - 15 Feb 08 - 12:01 PM

Adaneth,

I just recently discovered your stories, and they blow me away. I have been reading LOTR fanfics for a while now, and usually my favorite site is Stories of Arda, but sometimes I come to HASA to see the stories here. Don't know why I haven't seen yours, but they are GREAT. I can hardly wait for an update.

Usually I don't review, English is not my first language though I live in the States and speak, read and write the language every day but, you see, I'm an Engineer and technical English is so easy…I love to read, your information about the highlands is priceless, I'm not familiar with the Scots, only what Sir Walter Scot & Shakespeare wrote, some movies, what I learn in school (not much) and maybe the Outlander series by Diana Gavaldon…Anyway, back to your series, I like Saelon, what a brave, wise woman she is, and Veylin, incredible character ( I like all the dwarves, in fact, his sister is incredible). I do like how you portrait the elves, real people, some good, some less good as is suppose to be, they are no Gods, they have their bad moments too, you can ask Feanor for that…I think that you can give her the opportunity to interact with them and see that they can be good allies as the dwarfs, Elrohir and Elladan were not that bad with her, especially Elrohir.

Now, I like Dirmaen, I like how his character has developed, he is a Ranger of the North, he serves his Lord, the Chieftain and is loyal to his command, but he can help it, he admires her, loves her and I like the idea. Being strong is great, but is better when you have a partner, no a lord, but an equal. That is how I can see them together. Saelon must stop and try to understand him too, well I guess that you'll figure it out if you want them together, but a touch of romance is nice in the story.

About Gaernath, he has some Dunedain blood; will he live a little longer than the other men as the people of Gondor? It is just a doubt that I have, The men of Gondor were dunedain, but mixed with lesser men, so they live around 100 years (Faramir, Imrahil) the North Dunedain were more pure, I believe, Aragorn lived around 200 years. Now that I say that, it is funny how the South Dunedain keeps their kingdom even if they were less pure than the north ones, just a comment.

Well, I do love these wonderful series, keep updating and know that I'm a loyal reader.

Fantasia

Adaneth - 15 Feb 08 - 12:48 PM

Thank you for that lengthy comment, Fantasia.  I'm glad you're enjoying my stories so much.

(This is all a conspiracy to get me to write all weekend, instead of getting my work done, isn't it?  Grin )

Ah, Dírmaen.  Yes, he's been on my mind a lot lately.  Let me finish this story up, and I'll see if I can't get his life a little better sorted out.

As for Gaernath, only time will tell.  Life can be dangerous in Eriador.

I should have another chapter for you soon, so keep dropping by HASA.  There are a lot of other great stories here, too!

Cheers--

Adaneth

Adaneth - 11 Jun 08 - 10:50 AM

Dear Adaneth,

Mithlond's trade negotiations seem to be lengthy, indeed. Yet surely even Elves must make a decision at some point?

I am yearning to find out about how Saelon and her folk will fare... Any chance of a continuation soon? I would be overjoyed...

Elrûn

Pardon, readers, for leaving you in suspense so long, but it was becoming obvious to me that pressures from real life were starting to take a toll on "After Stormy Seas," and so I set it aside for a while, until I could do it justice.

Things have begun to ease up, and I have returned to the story, making (so far) comparatively minor revisions to Chs. 3-7.  These chapters have been reposted, so if you like, you can tide yourself over and get back into the storyline by looking them over.  Subsequent chapters have been temporarily moved "backstage"--I expect the revisions to become more substantial from here, and am currently working on Ch. 8.

Thank you for the nudge, and I hope to begin posting more regularly in a few weeks.  Grin

Cheers--

Adaneth

Shelob - 17 Jun 08 - 6:53 PM

Hi Adaneth, I've been enjoying these stories very much even though my tastes usually run more to elves than dwarves. But what happened to Chapters 8,9, and 10? Are you re-writing them or have they vanished permanently?

Shelob

Adaneth - 18 Jun 08 - 6:59 AM

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying my stories, Shelob.

But what happened to Chapters 8,9, and 10?

*sheepish look*  They are being revised, and Ch. 8 is proving particularly frustrating.  I had hoped to have 8 and 9 to you by now, but it's probably going to be another week or so.

But they will be coming.  I'm almost as tenacious as a Dwarf.  Wink

Thanks for the comment!  They make it easier to go back and face the manuscript again, knowing you're all waiting.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 30 Sep 08 - 4:35 AM

Adaneth,

Thank you for this wonderful story. Do not let yourself be rushed by impatient readers! I am looking forward to seeing your sequel posted when it is ready.

Elrûn

Lady Bluejay - 24 Jan 11 - 4:37 AM

Wonderful descriptions of the Grey Havens and Cirdan.

And it was a real Middle-earth history lesson.LBJ

Freyalyn - 13 Dec 07 - 2:06 AM

Ch. 1: Casting Off

Glad to see this back.  Poor Veylin and Saelon, so tried by those around them.

Elrûn - 19 Dec 07 - 9:07 AM

Ch. 1: Casting Off

Dear Adaneth,

the way Saelon treats Dírmaen is outrageous! Surely he deserves better. Will she not warm to him?

As always, I enjoyed your writing very much. Do give me another glimpse!

Elrûn

Adaneth - 21 Dec 07 - 6:10 AM

Ch. 1: Casting Off

Ah, Elrûn--you are becoming quite the Dírmaen partisan!  I invite you to read the latest chapter, to see how things are developing.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Adaneth - 03 Jan 08 - 5:41 AM

Ch. 3: Any Port in a Storm

Apologies, oh readers of mine!  Embarassed

It has come to my attention that I neglected to post the second half of this chapter.  I have corrected the omission.

Thanks to DKP for pointing out that there were notes that didn't connect to the story!

Cheers--

Adaneth

Freyalyn - 04 Jan 08 - 12:21 AM

Ch. 3: Any Port in a Storm

That makes more sense - I thought it was just me.

I do enjoy your characters, and watching the situations they make for themselves.  Thank you.

Elrûn - 07 Jan 08 - 4:47 AM

Ch. 3: Any Port in a Storm

Dear Adaneth,

thank you for showing Dírmaen in a much more favourable light. I cannot help feeling sorry for the ranger although I understand Saelon's shyness.

Your writing is as fascinating to me in this new year as it was before - thank you once again.

Elrûn

Elrûn - 10 Jan 08 - 1:41 AM

Ch. 4: Coming to Haven

Dear Adaneth,

the last stage of the travel - I like your starlit description of it. As for being a Dírmaen - partisan, I really should include Gaernath in my pleas. May he find solace where Elves yet dwell!

Elrûn

Elrûn - 16 Jan 08 - 7:47 AM

Ch. 5: By and Large

Dear Adaneth,

Saelon's disappointment with the Elves is quite understandable: The luxuries she encounters must seem obscene to her who has been struggling for survival against raugs and tempests. Yet surely some of her hosts will be wise enough to bow to valour, mortal though it be?

Elrûn

Adaneth - 16 Jan 08 - 1:51 PM

Ch. 5: By and Large

Wait and see, Elrûn; wait and see.  Wink

DKP - 08 Feb 08 - 4:12 PM

Ch. 7: Before the Mast

Hello, Adaneth,

I'm sorry that I'm so far behind in commenting on this story; I hope to rectify that soon one way or another, as I've certainly been enjoying every installment very, very much.

Your interactions and conversations are always wonderful, but so many in this chapter felt especially priceless to me. I laughed and grinned all the way through; I love the new Elves you've introduced, and for all the trouble they've apparently been giving you, their characteristics are delightful and refreshing.

If one did not set strong-minded people straight at once, they were liable to persist in their mistaken notions.  *cough* Ah, yes indeed, Saelon – what an apt observance.

And: "Like love, the first is the worst.  After that, one can attend to the subtleties." Wisdom just oozes from this chapter (even more than typical, I think). *g*

A lovely finale to it, too: I was as surprised as Saelon!

And as usual, I read your end-of-chapter notes with joy: I learn something new every time, and you make it as enjoyable as the tale itself.

Denise

Adaneth - 11 Feb 08 - 3:36 PM

Ch. 7: Before the Mast

*cough* Ah, yes indeed, Saelon – what an apt observance.

*wide-eyed innocence*  It's early days yet.  Grin

Thank you for your kind words, Denise.  You may have just contributed to the further procrastination of several tedious chores.  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 14 Feb 08 - 1:47 AM

Ch. 7: Before the Mast

Dear Adaneth,

your sea-lore is amazing indeed. Thanks to the last few chapters I now can claim to know at least something about seafood, too.

Other than that, I was intrigued by the very down-to-earth way you portray the elves. It reminds me more of Thranduil's merry subjects than of the loftier images conjured in the Lord of the Rings. I am now looking forward to learning about the meeting of Cirdan and Saelon!

Elrûn

Adaneth - 15 Feb 08 - 12:39 PM

Ch. 7: Before the Mast

Hello, Elrûn!

Well, most of the Elves of the Havens would be related to the Elves of Mirkwood (and Lorien): mainly Nandor (those who refused to cross the Misty Mountains on the journey to Aman, although some finally came west into Ossiriand) with some admixture of Sindar.  All members of the Third Clan, in any case, and since they never reached Aman, more rustic than the Noldor.

Although I must confess that I have been influenced by Jael's wonderfully full-blooded Elves.  Wink  Most of whom happen to live in Mirkwood.

Thanks for the comment!

Adaneth

DKP - 04 Mar 08 - 4:34 PM

Ch. 8: Old Man of the Sea

You've crafted a superb characterization of Círdan: this is an Elf in which I can visualize ages of wisdom, blended with what I've always thought of as the more practical and down-to-earth (but not lesser) nature of the so-called "Dark Elves". Sealon can learn much from him, and I love her various reactions during their conversations.

Also, I've been enjoying the nautically-themed chapter titles and intro quotes, but I particularly love what you chose for Círdan - just perfect!

Adaneth - 05 Mar 08 - 10:32 AM

Ch. 8: Old Man of the Sea

You've crafted a superb characterization of Círdan

I'm glad you liked it.  It gave me fits, because I like to have "real" things to bounce off of, as you may have noticed.  Wink  And there is so little on Círdan in Tolkien's writings--aahh!  Too much blank canvas!  Laugh out loud

As for the quote, I didn't expect to have to go back so far to find something I liked.  (Hmm; maybe I should have gone with the shoulder-riding shapeshifter Sinbad got drunk. *snork*)  It's interesting to see perspectives on a character change over the centuries.

Oh, and a little side note: Nereus was supposed to have daughters (a whole bevy of prophetic lasses who liked to help out sailors).  If anyone wants to take that nuzgul home, they're welcome to it.

Grinding my way through the next chapter . . . only a few hundred words more . . . .

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 14 Mar 08 - 12:31 AM

Ch. 9: Bow and Stern

Dear Adaneth,

please show some pity for the lovestruck ranger! Wouldn't they be a formidable couple? After all, they face a world beset with dangers and arrogant firstborns...

As always, I enjoyed your writing very much. Thank you for it!

Elrûn

DKP - 21 Mar 08 - 4:18 PM

Ch. 9: Bow and Stern

*g*

So Dírmaen is, after all, learning to read Dwarves; to temper his reactions to them, the Elves and to Saelon; and to exercise patience. Saelon's (for her) effusive praise took me by surprise also – small wonder Dírmaen is overwhelmed. Hopeless romantic that I am, I loved: ... or was it that his soul no longer dwelt wholly in his body, circling Saelon's as heedlessly as a moth about a flame?

A tiny bit more on Dírmaen's past, too! That's always a treat. :) And thank you for giving us some insight into Saelon's current thoughts about Dírmaen. The alternating PoVs are great.

Saelon's rejoinder to Calennae over the Silmarils – I was whooping and cheering. Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to seeing more of these two together. Even as I dislike many of your Elves personally, I love the complexity and wholly believable range of behavior and attitude that you've introduced. Truly excellent characterizations. And it looks to be quite the interesting return journey...

Delightful writing and turns of phrase, and marvelous descriptions, as always. I'm ever-thrilled to get an update notice for your chapters!

Freyalyn - 11 Apr 08 - 1:38 AM

Ch. 10: Docking Fees

Very interesting point about the Dwarves having closed minds.  And of course, don't forget the Elves' arrogance - most would take a closed mind (once they realised there was a mind there) as a personal affront!

Lovely story, as ever.  Is Calannae  going to cause more trouble?...

DKP - 12 Apr 08 - 6:59 PM

Ch. 10: Docking Fees

You use the alternating PoVs to great effect once again. I enjoy the glimpses into how each individual is more open-minded than many of his race, yet still we clearly see their firmly-held biases. A complex and realistic mix, and an excellent scene of their meeting.

Nice job of interweaving brief history lessons through the narrative. I love the conversations of the two apprentices – particularly in the anteroom! – and Veylin's opinion of Círdan's splendid silver beard made me smile. I can't wait to find out what Calennae is so furious about... In fact, in that one brief scene with him, you gave me much to think about regarding the ever-perfect and timeless memory of the Elves, and how it is both blessing and curse.

I really commend you for your A/N thoughts on Dwarves and the Ósanwe-kenta; your extrapolation is logical, easy for me to accept, and explains so much about the lack of interracial harmony. Nicely done!

Adaneth - 14 Apr 08 - 6:44 AM

Ch. 10: Docking Fees

Thanks for the comments, Freyalyn and DKP!

Is Calannae  going to cause more trouble?...

Where would a writer be without conflict?  Wink

. . . regarding the ever-perfect and timeless memory of the Elves, and how it is both blessing and curse.

It would certainly be harder to forgive, if one could not forget.  How many of the Eldar went West because of their version of post-traumatic stress disorder?

I'm glad you like my hypothesis regarding the closed minds of Dwarves.  It was one of those times when the puzzle pieces seem to fall neatly together.  The implications for the reknown Gimli-Legolas friendship are interesting.

The encouragement is much appreciated, and will help the next chapter along.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 06 Aug 08 - 2:09 AM

Ch. 11: All Flags Flying

Dear Adaneth,

How good to see another chapter of your story! I have to marvel at Veylin, both for understanding the comments made in Quenya and for staying his hand. Once again my heart goes out to poor Dírmaen: so eager to please, and yet so empty-handed... Please don't make him suffer more than necessary!

Elrûn

Adaneth - 06 Aug 08 - 4:16 AM

Ch. 11: All Flags Flying

Thanks for picking up the story again so quickly, Elrûn.  Profuse apologies for leaving you all hanging so long, but RL has been a pest, and I didn't want the story to suffer for my distraction.

To anyone else who might comment, if you don't get a reply in a timely fashion, it is because I am about to be dragged off an an adventure in the Wild.  But I will get back to you as soon as I return.  If the beasties and such don't get me.  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

DKP - 30 Sep 08 - 8:33 PM

Ch. 11: All Flags Flying

Ah, Adaneth, what a joy it is to submerge myself back into your world after a time away! And, because you'd made some changes to the already-written chapters, I had an excellent excuse to go back to the story's beginning. Well worth savoring...

I'm just repeating myself, but I love your writing, the descriptions, the characterizations, the way you put such lovely flavors into each PoV with perfect metaphors, etc., whether Man, Elf or Dwarf.

Perfect chapter title as always - Saelon's appearance before the Elves was wonderful. All those spectators; such a pity some of them were disappointed. It made me wonder if some of what drew all those people was contrived by Cirdan, given the seemingly purposeful misdirection in his words to Saelon that can now be spread by the attentive audience. I did love getting it all from Veylin's perspective, too.

mffantasia - 29 Sep 08 - 8:55 AM

Ch. 12: Freedom of the Seas

Adaneth,

I'm glad that you update d this story, but not too much that it is finish. I like your characters a lot, and I haven't see this plot before, the friendship between a dwarf and a dunadaneth, it is different. I like her, she is strong, and brave. I like that she has some understanding with Cirdan, at the end, he is one of the wiser elves in Middle Earth, and won't be beneficial for her and her people to be a t odds with him. I'm a little romantic, so I fill a little bad for Dirmaen, she really is hard with him. Bu do I see a little concern from her about him? Only his health? it was funny her thoughts about him not knowing how to take care of himself and want to take care of a wife. At least she knows that she is the cause of his unhappiness, Vexing man and woman, both. Are you going to write another part of this series soon? Thanks again for this story, even if I don't review often (well, almost never) I do enjoy and read it always.

Fantasia

DKP - 30 Sep 08 - 8:38 PM

Ch. 12: Freedom of the Seas

She minded him of Laegeleg, the Sharp-swift, a most gallant ship yet one that had given its best only on the very edge of the wind, prone to gripe under the hand of any but a knowing steersman.

Very apt! Although the "knowing steersman" part doesn't bode well for Dírmaen at this point. Nice to see her taking some notice of the fellow, though, and I actually grinned in approval at his comment that he might soon be leaving her. Not quite an ultimatum, but a push at least to make up her mind, although he's not winning any points in this chapter!

Nice turn with Gwinnor's name, too – I had no idea until Saelon did - and Cirdan's insights are a great way to leave the story. If only others might clue in now...

P.S. I've no complaints at waiting between chapters, or even rewrites. It's easier than waiting for the whole story to come out completed, truth be told! But please do what is easiest for you; your zealous and faithful readers will be waiting.

Adaneth - 01 Oct 08 - 6:37 AM

Ch. 12: Freedom of the Seas

Thank you for the kind comments, when there have probably been times when you wondered if I would ever finish!  Embarassed

Yes, Fantasia, there will be another story in the Dûnhebaid Cycle.  In fact, I've already started work on it.  (Elrûn would probably hunt me down and do something unpleasant to me if I left things with Dírmaen where they are now. Wink )

Hm; I was planning on waiting to post it until all or most of it was done, so readers wouldn't have such interminable waits between chapters, but it seems some of you would rather have dribs and drabs sooner.  If you feel particularly strongly one way or the other, please feel free to send me a private note, and I will see which way the wind is setting.

Ah, who knows what Círdan may or may not have arranged, DKP.  Isn't it rather peculiar that Saelon just happened on him in the shipyard like that?  Grin

Cheers--