Comments for: Old Man Willow

Talk to Nath

Old Man Willow

Julie - 21 Nov 07 - 8:35 AM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

That was "fun"! Good job.

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

AFriedman - 22 Nov 07 - 11:50 AM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

This is a very interesting take on LoTR and I like its non-canonical spirit.

Tolkien's view of nature is that it has a certain neutrality--despite its perceived benevolence or malevolence, it is relatively immune to the lure of power.  Tom Bombadil, for example, cannot be affected by the ring and only seeks to remain within his small domain.  Shelob as well may seek alliance with Gollum, but she herself does not lust after the Ring or world domination in the Sauron sense--she simply wants to stay in her hole, have children and get enough to eat.  Although organisms are in an unsteady balance with one another that more or less keeps them from destroying other life forms, I do imagine they would take over the world if they could.  I like that in your AU story, the tree can and would take over middle-earth.  Trees and plants that are overrunning the world is a possibility Tolkien does not seem to consider, but in theory it can be as bad as anyone else overrunning the world.

Well done!  I'd like to see you writing about any alliances that are re-drawn because of Old Man Willow's threat (light and dark creatures working together to fight the trees after Willow decides he wants his revenge on both??!!)

AFriedman

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

Nath - 23 Nov 07 - 4:16 AM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

Wave at Julie.

AFriedman, thanks for the detailed comment. When I first had this idea, I thought of using Treebeard, but then I realised that Old Man Willow did have the perfect opportunity to grab the Ring, and is already a malevolent, or at least self-oriented, character.

I can see some possibilities for looking at this  further from different POVs, even if this is essentially a one-shot. But who knows what the muse will inspire?

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

Raksha The Demon - 19 Jan 08 - 11:20 PM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

What an original and well-written story.  And I love the ending, very sly and appropriate.  Valar, look out!

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

Agape4Gondor - 31 Mar 08 - 12:55 PM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

Whoa, Nath! This was indeed spine-tingling chilly! Linaewen and Marta suggested I read it - and well worth the read - though I'm glad it is daylight and there are no such beings near me, for the nonce.

Excellent extrapolation going outside of Tolkien's boundaries.

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

Elena Tiriel - 31 Mar 08 - 9:25 PM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

Not the kelp! Noooooooo!

*shivers*

This gives me the creeps, Nath!

- Barbara

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

Nath - 02 Apr 08 - 8:26 AM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

Agape4Gondor, Elena Tiriel, thanks for your comments on my twisted little tale. I'm a lot more wary now of the willow tree that I pass by on my way to work every day Grin

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

Larner - 02 Apr 08 - 8:59 AM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

Oh, Nath--and this possibility is horrible, too!  Old Man Willow--lord of the Ring!  Horrors!

Go to Old Man Willow

Old Man Willow

Stefania - 15 Apr 08 - 12:58 PM

Ch. 1: Old Man Willow

What a terrific concept, Nath, which you carried through beautifully right to the chilling yet ironic conclusion. I'm somewhat of a tree-hugger myself, so I almost chuckled at Old Man Willow's exploits until that ol' ring-induced meglomania set in Wink.

I'm not set up to post comments yet on Henneth Annun. I really wanted you to see my thumbs up, thus this quick comment.

- Stefania