Comments for: A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

Talk to Darth Fingon

A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

maeglin - 14 Jul 09 - 5:53 PM

Darth, this is beautiful.  All the characters are so alive.  Turgon's memories of Elenwë - poignant.  Fingon's philosophy - heh heh, I think 'Fingon' is right.  Glorfindel as an awkward young man - how clever!  Nice to see he didn't come out of the womb perfect as he was at the end of the Third Age.

And Idril.  She gave me (my pen-name is 'Maeglin' for a reason) the shivers.  The only fitting words I know to match your 'Idril' are from the ending of H. P. Lovecraft's 'Pickman's model' - "You know how damned lifelike Pickman's paintings were - how we all wondered where he got those faces.  Well - [the model] wasn't [anything imaginary] after all ... What it showed was simply the monstrous being he was painting on that awful canvas ... But by God, it was a photograph from life!"

Go to A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

Olorimë - 01 Jul 10 - 1:47 AM

I am so happy to see this story updated.  I have been hunting all over the archives for this story and I am happy to see it here where is a bit easier to read.

I love Oropher in this story and my heart breaks at all the toils that you put young, awkward Glorfindel through.  Idril and Fingolfin make me want to tear my eyeballs out, they are so awful and I love to hate Fingon -- such a beautifully layered character.   You have many works in progress but I hope it doesn't take too long for this story to be updated again.  Wink

Go to A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

Agape4Gondor - 09 Jul 09 - 8:29 PM

Ch. 1: Finwe

Wow, Darth - very interesting and unusual story so far. Am looking forward to continuing with this 'play.'

Go to A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

Lissa - 05 May 09 - 12:15 PM

Ch. 2: Predestined

How exciting to finally read the next part of your story! I've looked much forward to it. Smile

Fingon's beliefs, however twisted they are, certainly explain a lot about his previous behaviour.

Poor Glorfindel. It is sad, but only too realistic, how he has been dealing with the pressure and the guilt. So he's in trouble for that, and--on top of everything else--suddenly he's in the king's sights, too.

What a family! I still cannot find anything good to say about your Fingon - you've drawn a wonderfully dark character here - but I think Fingolfin may be even scarier.

Go to A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

Darth Fingon - 08 May 09 - 12:10 PM

Ch. 2: Predestined

Thanks for the review, Lissa.  I started writing this a while back, and am only now finally starting to post it in any public archives.

Of course, Fingon thinks his belief system makes complete sense, regardless of how dodgy it may seem in the eyes of others (especially Turgon).  But if you want something nice to say about him... hey, at least he's consistent, right?

Go to A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness

Brandywine Taster - 04 Sep 10 - 7:30 PM

Ch. 7: Jewels

This is just wonderful! Vicious, catty, timid and self-loathing Glorfindel is such a radical take on the character that I love it! I hope you write some more in this AU. I'm curious to see what happens with his addiction and how Fingon deals with his father's interest in Glorfindel.

And kudos on not mary-sueing the elves to death.

Go to A Further Shadow Despite the Darkness