Comments for: To Dwell Among Strangers

Talk to Allee

To Dwell Among Strangers

J11T37 - 03 Aug 07 - 8:41 PM

Lovely! To me one of the ripest areas for "gap-filling" is the time spent at Rivendell before the start of the quest, and this works very well. I really liked the idea that Legolas started very certain about his opinion of dwarves, Quenya, etc. and ends with a more open mind. This sets up the idea that Legolas could become friends with Gimli quite nicely. One  tiny nitpick, near the beginning of the story you have secrete when I believe you mean secret.

Go to To Dwell Among Strangers

To Dwell Among Strangers

Allee - 04 Aug 07 - 11:48 AM

Thanks, J11T37.

I did post a reply to your much appreciated comment; however, it appears that it's not showing, so I'll have another go at it. Hopefully, it won't end up showing up twice now.

Anyway, I agree completely: the time between the Council of Elrond and the actual start of the quest is a ripe period for gap-filling (Thank you, Professor Tolkien!).

And thank you, thank you, thank you for pointing out my typo. Just when I think my beta and I have found everything . . .  Smile  It's fixed now.

Allee

Go to To Dwell Among Strangers

To Dwell Among Strangers

mistry89 - 06 Oct 07 - 3:14 AM

Ch. 1: To Dwell Among Strangers

Thank you! Given that elves are considered by most of the inhabitants of ME to be wise and all-knowing, it is lovely to this early hint that not all elves are the same in length and breadth of experience and that ignorance is not arrogance.

Go to To Dwell Among Strangers

To Dwell Among Strangers

Allee - 06 Oct 07 - 3:21 PM

Ch. 1: To Dwell Among Strangers

Thank you, Mistry. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It certainly is true that all Elves are not equal in terms of their length and breadth of experience. When writing this story, I couldn't help but think how Legolas--a relatively young Elf--would have felt among lore that was somewhat alien to him, because of both his age and the differences between various elven cultures.

Allee

Go to To Dwell Among Strangers

To Dwell Among Strangers

DJ - 12 Oct 07 - 3:03 PM

Ch. 1: To Dwell Among Strangers

Lovely story; heart-breaking at times. I like how the friendship described in the letters somewhat mirrors the friendship that would later develop between Legolas and Gimli. Your Legolas is very believable--a relatively young elf, from an isolated realm, discovering there's more to life and people and history than he imagined.

DJ

Go to To Dwell Among Strangers

To Dwell Among Strangers

Allee - 12 Oct 07 - 6:24 PM

Ch. 1: To Dwell Among Strangers

Hi DJ,

Thank you for letting me know that you enjoyed To Dwell Among Strangers. I can't imagine what it must have been like for Legolas--who, as you pointed out, was both relatively young and from an isolated realm--to have visited Imladris. Culture shock! So much history . . . so many different sides to that history.

Thanks again,