Comments for: Unto the ending of the world

Talk to Nath

Skeeve - 31 Dec 07 - 11:00 PM

I hope you keep going with this story, it's excellent. A very believable account of how things might have been.

A couple of questions, though...

Why does the breaching of the gates of MT happen much later than the arrival of the Rohirrim? It's been awhile since I read ROTK, but I seem to remember that the sound of Grond pounding on the gates was the impetus for Theoden's charge.

And I thought Denethor was already possessed by the Palantir (and Faramir out of action) at about the same time.

Minor quibbles, though (and it is AU, after all). A very well done piece, and I hope to read more of it in the future.

Nath - 01 Jan 08 - 1:37 AM

Hi Skeeve!

Thank you for reading. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

And yes, there will be more. I can't quite promise when, but a number of chapters beyond what there is now already exist in various stages of draft.

And good questions... I'll try to answer them without giving away spoilers.

Much later indeed... the next day even... I'll try and get the timeline so far in shape to post it (so don't get too excited at the next update Wink )

Sauron's plan of attack isn't the same as in the book. For a start, since he is certain that Aragorn doesn't have the Ring, he can deploy the Nazgûl differently, so it's not the Witchking in charge of the attack on Minas Tirith (this is technically a spoiler, but I had already given that one away...).

Correct, but keeping Denethor alive is an important part of the divergences from the book. The major point of divergence is that Frodo isn't captured by Faramir, but panics and runs. The other one is of course Aragorn using the palantír a second time.

One of the effects of Frodo running is that Faramir doesn't go against Denethor's wishes in letting him go free, and therefore both he and Denethor are in a better mood in the next few days. No "Do you wish then that our places had been exchanged?" conversation... With the attack on Minas Tirith going differently, Faramir isn't wounded or stricken with the Black Breath, so Denethor doesn't use the palantír at that point (just as well, with Sauron holding the Ring) and doesn't fall into despair.

Akatsukami - 07 Aug 10 - 7:09 PM

Have you read John Reilly's take on Sauron regaining the Ring?  http://www.johnreilly.info/tghtop.htm

Nath - 07 Aug 10 - 7:59 PM

Akatsukami, no, I hadn't heard of him before; and it looks interesting, though I won't read more than the bit of the first chapter I just saw before I finish this story, in case we're thinking in similar directions. But definitely thanks for the reading tip Grin

Sirannon - 03 Sep 10 - 2:55 AM

Thank you, Nath for another chapter. Faramir is my favorite character, and it is nice to see him do what he does best. I wonder whether Sqauron is sending further forces towards Lorien. It is hard to see how anything can turn out for the better at this point. I'm really looking forward to the continuation.

Aiwendiel - 18 Oct 11 - 7:07 PM

I've been periodically catching up on this tale for some time. This is a chilling and thrilling version of fate gone awry, all too easY to imagine the moment of chance that led to this terrible divergence. But you have woven this AU work brilliantly. I look forward to retreading and delving into the richness and detail, the characters, and to follow the many thread of mystery yet unfolding. Thanks for this excellent piece, Nath!

helga - 22 Nov 12 - 8:40 PM

A very engaging story with insightful characterizations, in which Denethor gets to say "I told you so..."  Actually, he hasn't really said that (yet), but I bet thought it!  - and a nerve-wracking Gandalf who may or may not be subject to certain influences through his possession of a ring of power.    Very interesting take on what would happen if The Quest failed; all is not automatically trashed by the enemy, and in keeping with one of JRRT's major themes, it's hinted that "there is always a chance of the unexpected happening," folks have faced worse situations in the past.

Nath - 25 Nov 12 - 5:38 AM

Hi Helga,

I'm as good as certain Denethor thought "I told you so." Who, me?

Glad you're enjoying it so far:)

helga - 03 Dec 12 - 11:08 PM

Yow,  there were, indeed, some surprises, most of them heart-rending and very insightful charaterizations.

I definitely did not see  the Mirkwood fatalities coming (although maybe I should have guessed more of the major characters would be picked off here and there).  And it's carried out beautifully  - the pacing is perfect, you keep the reader on the edge of her  seat, not knowing if this little sliver of hope means the character might pull through or - well, but in the last chapter, that other guy didn't make it.. .

I would never have guessed who the Presence was (nor did I figure out who/what the Mariner was in Hands of the King, so thank you for answering two questions).  I think both major and lesser characters have been very well fleshed out, with some very touching characterizations.

Arwen is another nice surprise - really perceptive insights into what she might have been thinking, what her choice might mean, what options are still left to her.  Best, her resolve to actively resist - this is a nice added touch that really deepens her character.

I had to laugh at poor Saruman.  I w as kind of right, he kind of reformed, kind of, at least kind of a little.

Now it looks like you might not be finished?  I hope not.  A lot of things are left hanging, and one wants to know how things turn out.

More guesses/predictions (ridiculous to not exactly sublime):

- Elfhelm must die; seriously, you can't expect Faramir not to annoy his father by marrying a barbarian and giving Hurin a nervous breakdown.

- Arwen is gonna kick some major Sauron butt, and Gollum is gonna help out in some way he probably won't like.

- Saruman will get what's coming to him, almost, but will also be offered mercy.  He and Boromir's ghost are sent to work with underprivileged students at a school run by Rhadaghast.

- And where IS Rhadaghast?  He's out there, somewhere, as far as the reader knows.....

Nath - 04 Dec 12 - 11:06 AM

Hi Helga,

Thank you for the comment - I'm glad I solved the mystery of the Mariner for you Wink

Rest assured, it doesn't end here... I'm a bit stuck on getting the next few chapters into shape, but the main outline is there in greater or lesser detail right to the end (I try to tell myself I'm about halfway through, but then I remember that I thought it was going to be about 75000 words when I started).

Those are some interesting guesses... and anything that gives Hurin a nervous breakdown is a good idea, even if it means I'd have to find a way to get Faramir and ElfhelmEowyn together Who, me?

Aganaphel - 27 Jun 07 - 1:41 PM

Ch. 1: Palantír

Great story!
I hope you will continue. It will be interesting to see what happens to Halbarad and Denethor. Cheers, Aganaphel

Nath - 27 Jun 07 - 6:53 PM

Ch. 1: Palantír

I have no intention of stopping here... don't worry. But it takes me some time to beat a chapter into shape, so it may be a while before the next update.

IVIaedhros - 15 Jan 08 - 7:59 PM

Ch. 2: The Crownless

Awesome AU so far...I'm glad I discovered it.

Aganaphel - 18 Dec 07 - 12:27 PM

Ch. 4: Stand

Oh Nooo... you killed the Witchy! *sniff* I so hoped that without Eowyn he would live - the world will be dull without our favorite ringwraith.  Well, you also did in Aragorn, but here I don't mind - hail to Chieftain Halbarad! And I am glad to see Denethor well and in charge - but why wasn't he present at the Gate? - Rightfully he should have been the one to reply to Mordor's terms. Isn't Gandalf really foolish to wear Narya? That won't end well.

Nath - 18 Dec 07 - 1:31 PM

Ch. 4: Stand

Thank you for the comment, and umm... did I say 'Witchking' anywhere Innocent ?

Denethor isn't at the Gate precisely because he is in charge. Of everything. Faramir and Imrahil are in command of the direct goings-on on the battlefield. Denethor is in the Citadel. He knows better than to use the palantir at this point, and the point of the Citadel gives him the next best thing for an overview.

If they hadn't run when the Nazgul came through the Gate, Imrahil or Faramir could have taken care of any negotiations, not that I think they were expecting any - also this 'offer' is made as much to taunt Gandalf and create unrest/discord with the defenders as from any expectation that it would be seriously considered, let alone accepted.

And yes, Gandalf isn't being very wise here at the end...

IVIaedhros - 15 Jan 08 - 8:08 PM

Ch. 4: Stand

Good fight...I don't think I've seen an actual horseman vs horseman fight that wasn't a charge in a long time.  That last bit is technically incorrect though.  The proximity of the wraiths don't effect Sauron's ability to manipulate the other rings.  Once he puts the One on, he can immediately see everything in the wielder's mind.  Meh, whatever.

Nath - 15 Jan 08 - 10:18 PM

Ch. 4: Stand

Yep... Gandalf's not thinking straight here. Isn't it a shame...

Skeeve - 28 Jun 08 - 1:02 PM

Ch. 5: Fall

Still enjoying it...Gandalf seems somewhat OOC here, especially his seeming indifference to Aragorn. Something to do with Narya? If he has a plan he's certainly keeping it close to his chest. I don't remember the Gandalf of the books ever being so reticent about discussing strategy...

Nath - 29 Jun 08 - 3:15 AM

Ch. 5: Fall

Hi Skeeve,

You're right, Gandalf isn't quite himself here; maybe he shouldn't have put on Narya again after the fight with the Nazgul. Whether or not he has a plan? Who knows? Well, I do, but it will be a number of chapters before that question can be answered... Devilish

Calenlass Greenleaf - 09 Jul 08 - 8:29 AM

Ch. 6: Loss

*silence*

I did not really think you would kill him.

Aragorn...dead...

*walk around in a daze*

But that was bloody good writing. :)

~Calenlass

Anglachel - 01 Aug 09 - 12:11 PM

Ch. 11: Vigilance

That is an evil cliffhanger, Nath. Just saying...

Ang

Nath - 01 Aug 09 - 9:53 PM

Ch. 11: Vigilance

Innocent Evil cliffhangers? Me?

Dang, that halo's too tight...

Devilish Ah, better...

helga - 29 Nov 12 - 12:29 AM

Ch. 19: Queen

Ha - great chapter ending!  I really like the bits of humor in this, as well as the really ingenuous ways in which this AU is working out, and the characterizations.  Denethor, Eowyn, Halbarad all seem very well realized.    Poor Eowyn, all cooped up..... Poor Faramir, looks like he's out of luck.

Also good are the cliff-hangars and nagging little questions, like, what happened to Gollum and Who was that presence that aided Aragorn in his final moments?  I'll be interested to find out if my guesses are right...

Nath - 29 Nov 12 - 11:04 PM

Ch. 19: Queen

Hi Helga,

Yeah, looks like tough luck for Faramir.

Once you get to that point, I'll be interested to know what your guesses were... Who, me?

helga - 30 Nov 12 - 7:24 PM

Ch. 19: Queen

I'd post my guesses now, but perhaps should give this a Spoiler -Maybe warning?

For the Good Guy mysterious presence, my first guess is Gandalf, who, even if fighting off whatever influence he may be hit with. May also have other reasons for his odd behavior.  Other guesses, which are mostly silly but fun: Frodo, who isn't dead, yet,but has manage to co-opt some of Sauron's mind; Denethor 2.0 (now that he's over being crazy, he's not being taken in again, he has some experience ve with this palate or mind-meld stuff,and he would just love to get back at Sauron); Saruman, reformed. No, Forget those last three......

As for Gollum, my reaction at the point he's mentioned was, " oh man,don't tell me,the unforeseensurprise is that Gollum saves the day." Well, he would've drawn toward the Ring, right?  And with Saruman making a bid in his own own power play ending up keeping Sauron distracteD, thatwould giveGollum a chance to get in there and screw things up (for Sauron).  The same Plan Araorn had, but carried out bby the bad guys, or at least, less thang good guys.

Hm, maybe yu can see why I read, but don't write, these things.....

helga - 30 Nov 12 - 7:26 PM

Ch. 19: Queen

Eek, too many typos.   I blame it (Mostly) on auto-correct.....

Nath - 30 Nov 12 - 10:42 PM

Ch. 19: Queen

*heh* Interesting guesses... And all I can say to any of them is that I don't think I said that Frodo is dead (as Sauron wants to know, "Where would be the fun in that for me?")

(and, errr.... always blame auto-correct for typos Who, me? )

Aiwendiel - 25 Oct 11 - 9:31 AM

Ch. 21: Ashes

Well-crafted and intriguing portraits of Elrond and Arwen and their inner thoughts and feelings of the changed awful reality. And what a hook at the end... hmm... hope live on,, in some fashion? Very interesting!

Aiwendiel - 04 Nov 11 - 6:39 PM

Ch. 23: Relief

A chilling, exciting chapter. Too little is written about the battles for Lorien,whether in canon or out of it. Love that Galadriel wields a sword and wanted to challenge her brother's murderer. Great characterizations of Celeborn and the twins, too. And very interesting mystery at the end!

Aiwendiel - 23 Feb 12 - 9:23 AM

Ch. 25: Hunt

Oh. My Goodness. As dark as this AU is, I somehow never expected... this. You snuck this in after lulling me peacefully with men's councils and wars threatening but till far off... and then to have these two, ever the survivors, stalwart friends to the end, fall to... spiders!

You broke my heart with these lines more than any I have read in a long time:

"Gimli, I can hear the Sea," Legolas whispered, so low that Gimli could barely hear him, yet the words cut straight to his heart. "Can you hear it too?"

"Yes," Gimli responded, tears blurring his eyes. "Yes, I can."

Wonderful writing... wonderful story.

Aiwendiel - 16 Mar 12 - 6:37 AM

Ch. 27: Sleep

Oh, Nath! You continue to stretch my poor heart between scenes of grim hope and awful reality. This chapter, immediately coming after one full of strategy and men doing what they can to stave off the day of final reckoning, is all the more heartbreaking. And a cliff hanger -- literally as well as figuratively! Can I read in this a flimsy thread of hope that maybe one of our gallant brothers might have.... Oh, no, I suppose not... Sigh. Wonderful tale, wonderful writing... Keep at it, please!

RS - 15 Apr 12 - 11:37 AM

Ch. 28: Silence

Oh Nath,

I am so at the edge of my seat!  I'm sweating to death and my heart is palpitating!  This chapter just gave me anxiety and total anticipation!  Hurry up with the next update!

Aiwendiel - 19 Apr 12 - 7:09 PM

Ch. 28: Silence

Ohh I have a very bad feeling about this! Beautiful but so intensely disturbing. The fate of Luthien was truly a complex one, and she was one amazingly courageous character -- thanks for highlighting this oft overlooked fact! Sharing her fate is fraught with ... complications! I am shivering with anticipation. Keep writing fast! Great chapter!

Aiwendiel - 19 Jun 12 - 7:27 PM

Ch. 29: Feast

How wonderful to discover a new chapter in this tale! I appreciate how you continue to 'tell it slant' through secondary characters viewpoints. Erkenbrand is merely a cardboard image in the original and you have fleshed him out fully. Nice take on the similarities of the marriage customs between Rohan and The Shire, too -- except of course, hobbits would have it all down on paper with multiple signatures! So poignant, in contrast to your recent chapters full of so much loss, to see the most common ceremony and celebration of all playing out, despite the world falling to pieces. And the wedding night shenanigans at the end... perfect! Nicely done!

Aiwendiel - 13 Jul 12 - 10:02 AM

Ch. 31: Watch

Oh, Nath... Such heartbreaking chapters, but so finely wrought! I hadn't held out hope for even one of the twain to survive, and it is almost worse to have it be just the one... As I know well... The grief of loss is terrible. But I am surprised and very intrigued by the mysterious voice! Wow,what an unexpected, but perfectly fitting idea! Can't wait for more. Wonderful story! A

Aiwendiel - 30 Aug 12 - 7:37 PM

Ch. 32: Impression

Glad to see an update on this tale. This chapter is a very interesting take on how the remnant of Arnor must appear to such a "civilized" fellow as Hurin. What a character he is -- and not at all admirable!

Nath - 30 Aug 12 - 8:09 PM

Ch. 32: Impression

Hmm, yes, Hurin is very certain of his Gondorian superiority, isn't he?

Aiwendiel - 08 Jan 13 - 2:43 PM

Ch. 33: Ring of Doom

Whew! This was not at all what I expected when I imagined where your tale would take Gandalf... but it seems entirely fitting. And of course, leaves so much potential for the future... I'm so glad you found a very clever way to rid your much changed and darker Middle Earth of another wizard, as well! Very nice... looking forward, as always, to much much more. Aiwendiel

Nath - 09 Jan 13 - 7:50 PM

Ch. 33: Ring of Doom

Hi Aiwendiel,

Glad you enjoyed these chapters.

Gandalf is still in an unpleasant position, and yes, I do have plans for him... You little devil!

As for the other, I suspect he's not going to enjoy explaining himself (a scene which probably falls outside the scope of this story, but if inspiration strikes it might work as a spin-off).

Looking at 34, that character will at least play some further role in events...

Aiwendiel - 08 Jan 13 - 2:50 PM

Ch. 34: Rest

Oho! That's the explanation for the 'presence' at the bedside in Minas Tirith... again, unexpected but perfectly appropriate... I find your approach of threading in this mysterious, starry character very intriguing...

helga - 15 Apr 13 - 10:38 PM

Ch. 35: Earth

This chapter is a very nice touch, and an interesting addition to Merry's character, as he is becomes assimilated into a different culture (through a shotgun - crossbow - wedding?)   Finally, a little reprieve from all the  stress!  But there is also a undercurrent of sadness, especially as we see how the characters base their actions and attitudes on the fact that they may not have a lot of time left; even those lacking pirivileged information have the sense that they're in for some tough times.

Merry's thoughts upon reading Saradoox' letter also lead the reader to wonder ifhe (and any of the other hobbits) will ever get back to the Shire alive.....

helga - 18 Aug 13 - 11:05 PM

Ch. 36: Wind

Oh no, not Eri - ....!   Good thing Imrahil is so smart..... A nice surprise of discovering a new chapter was made even better by the latest developments.  This "interlude" chapter is wonderfully written.  Your additions of small but significant or colorful details, such as the diary given to Halbarad or thoughts of Imrahil as he considers what the heck those Corsair ships are doing, really flesh out  the characters  and motivations.  The way  impending disaster, confusion, stress  and loss are intermingled with more mundane events gives this story a unique tone.  If this were a hard copy book, I'd say it was a page-turner.  Maybe a scroll-fast-down-the-page-er....

helga - 18 Aug 13 - 11:07 PM

Ch. 36: Wind

By the way, who is name2?

"And what do we do?" name2 asked."

Corsair spy, no doubt......!

Nath - 19 Aug 13 - 3:46 AM

Ch. 36: Wind

Hey, glad you're enjoying the ride so far Smile

By the way, who is name2?

Err... oooops? So embarassed! (Fixed now, though Meldoron is crying on his first mate's shoulder over your accusation ;-) )

helga - 16 Oct 13 - 10:54 PM

Ch. 37: Fire

Oh my - what an exciting chapter!  Those Corsairs!  Seems like a pretty good strategy to cut off the Elves' one means of escape, if that's the point?

Along with the surprises and excitement, I really like how you very nicely mix in a bit of reflection (Elrohir mentally apologizing for his Choice) and  the hopeful thoughts that appear in spite of the situation:  "He wondered what Bilbo would make of the encounter – and I hope I will have the chance to tell him." Very nice work setting the mood at the start of the chapter, where Elrohir is taking a rather leisurely pace, figuring there's no need to hurry and wishing he was engaged in something more important , when the reader knows he' s  about to get his wish, big time....

And, also the humor: "Only had Denethor sent his own son and the Prince of Dol Amroth could he have sent a higher-ranking delegation. Only had he come himself would this delegation have been more difficult to deal with. "   The description of impatient Cirdan  getting ready for battle...

Well, I'm just glad Elrohir didn't have to shoot the horse.  Shades of Bill the Pony...

Nath - 17 Oct 13 - 9:48 AM

Ch. 37: Fire

Hi Helga Wave

It's certainly part of the point... And I suspect Elrohir has a long walk or a slow ride ahead of him to try to get back home.

It was a toss-up whether Cirdan would be trying to armour up over a nightshirt, or this; but I decided it was more likely he sleeps commando and put on trousers before rushing to the wall. And now I can't unsee the nightshirt... Laugh out loud

helga - 04 Dec 13 - 11:30 PM

Ch. 38: Birthday

Yay, my suspicion that Arwen would be taking a critical role seems to be on target!  Well, everyone else keeps getting killed off...

Perhaps Hunthor can convince the Corsairs to kidnap Hurin and hold him for ransom?ROTFLMAO

Nath - 05 Dec 13 - 9:36 PM

Ch. 38: Birthday

Ransom? Hmm, I suspect Denethor might be prepared to pay for the Corsairs to keep Húrin...

helga - 10 Jan 14 - 8:48 PM

Ch. 39: Need

OH dear - another nicely written and moving chapter, and cliffhanger ending! What do we learn from this?  Always listen to the horse.   We don't yet know if Elfhelm is another casualty, so there's that nail-biting question along with the poignant news that he may be or would have been a father.

helga - 10 Jan 14 - 8:51 PM

Ch. 39: Need

Hey, wait - I just realized, maybe there dis hope for Faramir, after all.....  kind of sad, but .........Eeeek!

Nath - 11 Jan 14 - 2:33 AM

Ch. 39: Need

Hi Helga - definitely listen to the horse Grin And as for Faramir's chances; well... I'm none too good at looking innocent yet mysterious at the same time, but I'll make an attempt Who, me?

helga - 03 Sep 14 - 7:53 PM

Ch. 40: Questions

Thank you for another masterfully written chapter!  Your writing always moves the action forward, while adding layers of information, excellent descriptions of interaction among the characters, and insightful characterizations.  The depiction of the ever collapsing states of the various cities and societies, and the struggle to maintain what is left, seems very  realistically portrayed - some of the collapse is slow, some hits suddenly and explosively (as with the attack on the Grey Havens).    I really like the way you present information the reader is dying to know, such as the fates of Cirdan (referred to in just a few words - but that tells the reader everything), that one Peredhil twin (I get them mixed up, they both look so much alike, but you know, the one who's still alive), or what the heck is going on with Elrond.

Another nice feature is the bits of humor (in this chapter, both Gandalf and Bilbo hope the other has a better grade of tobacco to share).

Do you think Hennth-Annun should take up a betting pool on which characters make it to the end alive?  If any??  (Just because no one dies at the END of this chapter doesn't mean no one has died!)

I'm really glad to see my hunch about Arwen may be on the right track. SOMEONE's got to keep a cool head and start figuring out how to survive, just in case it turns out to be possible - which it does, increasingly, appear to be.  As the story progresses, the reader also gets the sense of some higher (good) power.

And Poor Gandalf.  Now he's going to duke it out with Sauron?  Is this a smart move on his part?  Is this idea entirely motivated by desire for redemption? oooo, another nail-biter!  I"m looking forward to the next chapter!

Nath - 06 Sep 14 - 12:19 PM

Ch. 40: Questions

Hi Helga!

So embarassed! Wow... Thanks for the comment!

All I can say on betting pools is that I'll have to have PoV characters left to make it to the end of the story Wink

Yes, someone will have to keep a clear head... it might even be Arwen. As to whether Gandalf's move is smart? Well...

Aiwendiel - 10 Sep 14 - 4:56 PM

Ch. 40: Questions

Dear Nath, I just noticed another chapter of your great AU fic and enjoyed it thoroughly. You have Bilbo just right, and begrudgingly, you also have Gandalf spot on. I increasingly admire your Arwen and of course she is so much more flesh and blood and active than the original. Wonderful forshadowing, and perfect move to have the Grey Wanderer take to the roads before seeking the advice he thought he was looking for... once he found his real purpose in remaining on this shore. Excellent! Write faster, plz!

Nath - 12 Sep 14 - 11:45 PM

Ch. 40: Questions

Aiwendiel, thanks. I'm glad Arwen comes across well Grin

As for writing faster... I've told the Muse the floggings will stop when morale and writing speed improve Who, me?

Silbereth - 14 Jul 10 - 12:09 PM

Ch. 42: Notes

I love this story, it has me on the edge of my seat! the best thing is I have absolutely no idea who will live and how it's going to end. Can't wait for the next chapter :)

Nath - 14 Jul 10 - 10:59 PM

Ch. 42: Notes

Hi Silbereth,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the story Grin

I'll be keeping you in suspense a bit longer, I fear, but don't worry too much: the next chapter will be along by the beginning of September.

(And as to the ending, well... let's say that I know what it will be You little devil! )

Silbereth - 13 Nov 11 - 4:14 AM

Ch. 42: Notes

You killed them! :( :( nooooo..... Still I'm enjoying it immensely.  I just wish Thranduil could have seen his son again :'(. I just love your writing style though so keep up the good work you have me on the edge of my seat!

Silbereth - 28 Feb 12 - 10:40 AM

Ch. 42: Notes

Not the Peredhil twins!!!! There's still hope, you haven't put anything on the timeline... My heart is racing!