Comments for: Of Like Passion

Talk to Adaneth

Adaneth - 12 Dec 07 - 3:33 PM

Tindome, thank you so much for your comments on my stories.  I know you were looking for this one--it's back!

And the new one's just started, too.  Grin

Tindome - 21 Aug 09 - 5:37 AM

When I read your stories,  my faith in humankind is restored. They are simply awesome, you write so well, and I believe, master Tolkien himself would not object.

What do YOU get from writing stories so elegant, interesting, well-paced and intelligent?

Most certainly you are no dwarf, giving us wonderful gifts without expecting anything back - and all we can offer are few praises in comment-box.

Thank you so much!

Adaneth - 21 Aug 09 - 12:29 PM

Tindome, I think you have just ensured that the Muse will be in good humor this evening.  Thank you very much for your kind comments.

What do YOU get from writing stories so elegant, interesting, well-paced and intelligent?

Um, I suffer from a not uncommon problem among writers: I have a hard time finding things I can read with unalloyed enjoyment.  So I amuse myself by writing what I'd like to be reading.  If you and others enjoy the stories as well, that is icing on the cake.

Praise such as yours in the comment-box is wealth indeed.  *takes off hood and bows*

Lady Bluejay - 22 Jan 11 - 10:24 AM

Poor Dírmaen, frustrated in love and denied the chance to hunt the wolves.

A great read - I love all the depth and detail you give .

Aganaphel - 04 Jun 07 - 5:10 AM

Ch. 1: No Friend Like

Ahh, Veylin and Saelon are back! ... And a bearded Dwarven woman. Awesome.

Keep updating, please! Aganaphel.

Elrûn - 04 Jun 07 - 5:21 AM

Ch. 1: No Friend Like

Adaneth,

your words are still precious, as precious as fire opals...

Adaneth - 04 Jun 07 - 7:49 AM

Ch. 1: No Friend Like

Hello, Gilnaur, Aganaphel, and Elrûn--glad to see you're still with me.  Thank you for waiting while I got a couple of chapters ahead of myself.  I expect to post pretty regularly over the summer.

And a bearded Dwarven woman.

Ssshh, Aganaphel.  It's supposed to be a secret.  Wink

as precious as fire opals

I wish they'd buy me a tidy little mansion on the West Highland coast!  Grin

Elrûn - 08 Jun 07 - 1:28 AM

Ch. 2: Corn and Copper

Adaneth,

I very much enjoy the way your story unfolds. For all their sobriety and accuracy, your words are both inspired and inspiring.

Let me sum up some aspects I appreciate in particular. Clearly, you do not have to rely on magic and the supernatural. Nature is ready to offer her own charms, as are cultures clashing. Then, there is no excess amount of "action". Instead you desribe the inter-actions that play out between your protagonists. Finally, your plot is in line with, yet not burdened by canon. All of that makes for a highly refreshing story, and I thank you for it.

Aganaphel - 09 Jun 07 - 1:24 PM

Ch. 2: Corn and Copper

Great story, as usual!

Adaneth - 11 Jun 07 - 10:21 AM

Ch. 2: Corn and Copper

Dear Elrûn,

Thank you for your comments.  Smile  It's good to hear from people who enjoy a change from the more common slam-bang action and/or hot n' steamy romance stories.  (Not, as you know, that I don't like a good monster-slaying on occasion.  And the title of this story should suggest, hm, other possibilities. Wink )

All things in their measure--one wouldn't want the palate to become jaded.

If you like clashing cultures, wait until after Chapter 4.

The magic and the supernatural are there--as I think they often are in "everyday life", running just below the surface--but if you aren't paying attention, it's easy to miss, or dismiss as something else.  We take so much for granted, particularly in nature.  Our ancestors did not.

Elrûn - 09 Jul 07 - 6:23 AM

Ch. 6: Rivals in Affection

Adaneth,

well done - once again, I should say. Not only am I thrilled by your recent introduction of an Elf (I am really eager to see how things will play out with Lindon...): Moreover, I am intrigued by the growing intimacy between Dunádan lady and Dwarf lord... All of it told in your unique style, taking your time, avoiding the obvious... Yours is definitely my favourite story these months...

Adaneth - 10 Jul 07 - 7:43 AM

Ch. 6: Rivals in Affection

Ah, always pleased to intrigue, Elrûn!

Forgive me, therefore, for running off into the Wild for a couple of weeks, and leaving Lindon's verdict in suspense.  (Yes, really the Wild: I'm not portaging the laptop as well as the canoe.)

I will--unless Beorn's kin get me or my party is waylaid by Orcs Wink --post the next chapter as soon as I get back.

Elrûn - 26 Jul 07 - 3:50 AM

Ch. 7: A Little Knowledge

Adaneth,

good to see you back from the wilderness - and even better to see the haughty Noldo bested by a ragged mortal!

Adaneth - 27 Jul 07 - 5:32 AM

Ch. 7: A Little Knowledge

Ah, it's a little early to say Gwinnor has been bested, Elrûn!  A clear hit, yes, but those Elves are made of tough stuff.  Wink

Elrûn - 02 Aug 07 - 1:29 AM

Ch. 8: Ebb-Tide

Adaneth,

although fortunately my own harvest does not depend on his good will, Gwinnor is starting to exasperate even me. But then, you should not expect a Noldo to appreciate the Song of the Sea. Maybe an earth-won jewel will clear his view...

Adaneth - 08 Aug 07 - 3:43 AM

Ch. 8: Ebb-Tide

Gwinnor is starting to exasperate even me.

Dear Elrûn,

Alas, Mortals often find the Firstborn maddening.  (In a variety of ways!)  Smile

The newly posted chapter, "Settlement," brings the matter at hand to a close.  I am setting off on an Adventure again, so you will have to wait a bit longer than usual for the next chapter.

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on one of those sweet little boats from Lorien?  Something a Hobbit can portage would be a joy.  Grin

Elrûn - 08 Aug 07 - 5:22 AM

Ch. 9: Settlement

Dear Adaneth,

ah, Gwinnor is showing some sense at long last. Running off into the Blue - Mountains???  Please do return to the Sea eventually...

Elrûn - 27 Aug 07 - 5:51 AM

Ch. 10: Useful Trouble of Rain

Dear Adaneth,

good to see both men and dwarves thrive! Yet what about those gleaming gems? Surely they cannot lie hid forever...

Adaneth - 28 Aug 07 - 5:04 AM

Ch. 10: Useful Trouble of Rain

Patience, Elrûn.  Smile  That opal has lain there, hidden by the tide, for Ages.  Are you sure that Gwinnor has given up interest in Veylin's doings so near the Sea?

I'm glad you're enjoying my story so much.

Elrûn - 31 Aug 07 - 4:48 AM

Ch. 11: Houseraising

Dear Adaneth,

a lively tune indeed! Should I ever intend to raise a house myself, I will definitely refer to this chapter... Wood and stone, comfrey and ale: substance comes in different hues, yet it is always present in your writings. Although I suspect things might spring into action all too soon: What lies in store for the dwarves and men?

Elrûn - 07 Sep 07 - 5:45 AM

Ch. 12: Gentle as Falcon

Dear Adaneth,

hah, I knew it! I always thought your plot was rather unfair to Dirmaen. The way you portray him now, he seems to be more than likeable: I do hope his feelings will not stay unanswered. And I very much like how you describe his tentative courtship, You can almost feel his torment...

Elrûn - 18 Sep 07 - 4:15 AM

Ch. 13: Fault Lines

Dear Adaneth,

fault lines in the dwarves' delf, none in your plot though. What about Gwinnor? Surely the dwarves would unite when confronted with the haughty elf... I will be happy to find out, once your RL-fiends are slain!

Adaneth - 18 Sep 07 - 5:02 AM

Ch. 13: Fault Lines

What about Gwinnor?  Really, Elrûn, you sound almost as paranoid as Veylin!  Wink

Back to the fray--

Elrûn - 20 Sep 07 - 3:57 AM

Ch. 13: Fault Lines

Paranoid, am I? Well, this being your story I won't place foolish bets. Still, I would be surprised if the Firstborn contented themselves with benign neglect... Can't wait to see how everything unfolds:

littlehobbitlost - 21 Sep 07 - 5:27 AM

Ch. 14: In Confidence

These stories are fantastic. Absolutley enthralling and with such vivid descriptions. The characters are very well thought out and are developing brilliantly. I am utterly hooked. One of my favourite characters is the environment, the hills, the moors and the sea. Your setting is my homeland-can it get any better?!

Keep writing! Thanks!

Adaneth - 22 Sep 07 - 5:38 AM

Ch. 14: In Confidence

Thank you, Littlehobbitlost!  It's been too long since I stood on the West Highland coast, the wind blowing me over  Wink  in my hair: I'm glad my mind's eye has been true.  Such a striking land--how can it not be as important as the people who walk it?

I'm glad you're enjoying my stories.  There aren't too many more chapters to this one, but the next is starting to take shape already.  So, RL permitting, we can all see how this strange experiment of mine continues to unfold.  Smile

Catsma - 22 Sep 07 - 11:52 AM

Ch. 14: In Confidence

I like the details of every day life in this story. The endless foraging for foods and herbs, the anxious eye on the weather and hoping the grains and animals grow so they have things to trade.

Keep it up, I really enjoy this series.

Adaneth - 24 Sep 07 - 4:25 AM

Ch. 14: In Confidence

Thank you, Catsma!

The last couple of weeks have been on a par with some of Saelon's medium-bad ones, so the encouragement is especially welcome.  (Too many things bad, not painful things bad.)

I put all those details in because, in my heart of hearts, I want Middle Earth to be real and not just a fantasy.  Of course, someone who likes Dwarves would want things well-grounded!  Wink

If installments are a little late for the next month or so, be patient.  I'll get there.

Onward!

DKP - 07 Oct 07 - 3:53 PM

Ch. 15: Heart of the Mountains

I've spent the last few nights reading this story cycle, and it has been well worth the loss of sleep. I am very much a character-driven reader, and yours are living, breathing, three-dimensional individuals, complete with strengths, weaknesses and quirks. It is wonderful watching each of them grow and change through the series. They fit perfectly into this incredible world you have created, with complex and well-developed cultures and - of course - the wild and extraordinary scenery. Their interactions with each other and their environment are often priceless and always well handled. I've been entranced since the first chapter of Rock and Hawk (see above on loss of sleep).

In this installment, I've enjoyed Gwinnor very much, for he is quite entertaining even at his most annoying moments. That Saelon finds he is actually beyond her ability to handle is a tremendous hurdle for her, and (as much as I adore her strong character) an important step in her development; I'm glad that you never shy away from showing her limits.

Auð's introduction and perspective has been excellent as well, as have all the Dwarves. So even Dwarves think Veylin has a tender heart... I'm really feeling for him right now, thinking that the coast is finally clear, and here comes Gwinnor back to White Cliffs.

The romantic in me is thrilled with Dírmaen's latest developments, even as I ache for him, poor fellow. I'm not sure exactly why, but I have held high hopes for "the quiet one" ever since his appearance in Fair Folk and Foul. I am very interested to see if and/or how he figures out Saelon: the reasons for her inability to see his regard are obvious to us, having seen her perspective on Men's lack of respect for her strength and independence - which came very recently from the Rangers themselves. Whether it ever works out or not, it be no easy road for either of them.

Adaneth - 08 Oct 07 - 4:43 AM

Ch. 15: Heart of the Mountains

Thank you, DKP--and for catching that mispelling in Fair Folk and Foul (which has been corrected)!

I'm beginning to wonder if I don't need to post some kind of warning, given the number of people who seem to devour this when they discover it.  That wasn't a problem earlier, but as the cycle grows, so does the danger!  Wink

That Saelon finds he is actually beyond her ability to handle is a tremendous hurdle for her, and (as much as I adore her strong character) an important step in her development; I'm glad you never shy away from showing her limits.

No matter how strong you are, there is always someone or something that you cannot overcome.  (At least not alone.)  How you deal with hitting that wall says a lot about your character . . . and, ideally, you learn from the experience.  Challenges help us grow.

Saelon has learned not to mind (so much) that the Dwarves are so much wealthier than her folk.  Let's see how she does with an intellectual superior.  Grin

Cheers---

DKP - 08 Oct 07 - 11:57 AM

Ch. 16: Trade Mission

What a delight, to have a new chapter so soon after I belatedly caught up. Yay! for Gaernath; one cannot blame him for his attitude and manner, especially given his youth. Dírmaen is obviously an excellent teacher. I also enjoyed that glimpse into Gwinnor's passion for the hunt, although it surprised me, too, that he'd be fired up to go after regular (non-warg) wolves. Noldor vs. Sindarin sensibilities? Or an excuse to get back into the hills, or to pump Gaernath for information? Or all of it...

And is Saelon's dream foresight, or subconscious wishfulness... I have to remember that there are issues and events between Veylin and Dírmaen that she knows nothing of.

Even better, we may soon be getting a taste of inter-Dwarf trading, and more of Auð! Yes! Another excellent chapter, Adaneth.

Elrûn - 15 Oct 07 - 6:11 AM

Ch. 16: Trade Mission

Dear Adaneth,

a fortnight away from my computer gifts me with yet another three of your chapters. As always, your writing is fabulous. Please do not say Dírmaen will have to suffer forever! He is as clumsy as only love-struck men can be, and yet... Since she already dreams of him? Even the raging sea needs a calm harbour...

Adaneth - 16 Oct 07 - 12:35 PM

Ch. 16: Trade Mission

Never fear, Elrûn; Dírmaen will not suffer forever . . . for he is a mortal Man.  (Gwinnor!  Shoo!  Elrûn already finds you annoying.  Wink )

Ah, and the good Ranger has acquired another partisan.  I try to post a chapter every week, Denise, although real life is putting me a bit behind that timetable.  At this point I can tell you that Chapter 18 will start with Dírmaen's pov.

A raging sea, you say?  Are you Foresighted, Elrûn?

DKP - 16 Oct 07 - 11:03 AM

Ch. 17: Fabric of Society

Saelon earns even more of my respect (not to mention the dwarves') for being such a good bargainer. Having travelled in parts of the world where hard dealing is considered an art form, I know myself woefully outmatched by the masters. I would not have thought that I would find a scene all about trading to be so fascinating. It was fun and believable to see Saelon's brief beguilement over the silver, and perceptive of her to discern the terms of Dirmaen's last visit to the hall.

Please keep the updates coming as quickly as possible! I hope we get some of Dirmaen's PoV about this little episode, but I'm eager to see whatever comes next.

Denise

Elrûn - 17 Oct 07 - 6:03 AM

Ch. 17: Fabric of Society

Dear Adaneth,

so Habad-e-Mindon is in for nasty wheather? I thought courting season had just begun... I liked the way Gaernath delivered the third wolf... And is Saelon really ignorant of the fact she is not negotiating with a "kinsman"? She should be mortified once she learns the truth!

Elrûn - 23 Oct 07 - 7:28 AM

Ch. 18: Tempest

Ah Adaneth,

my heart bleeds for Dírmaen... Maybe the storm will clear his mind - or Saelon's?

Adaneth - 23 Oct 07 - 9:14 AM

Ch. 18: Tempest

It's an ill wind, Elrûn, that blows no one any good!

Hang in there--

Elrûn - 29 Oct 07 - 8:54 AM

Ch. 19: Lee Shore

Dear Adaneth,

Saelon certainly deserves his jewel - as you deserve one for writing this story! My earth-lore is rather limited - please accept my virtual gratitude instead!

Adaneth - 02 Nov 07 - 8:27 AM

Ch. 19: Lee Shore

Ah, but can Veylin convince Saelon to accept the sea-jewel, Elrûn?

For those of you who prefer to wait until a story is complete, I am pleased to announce that "Of Like Passion" is now ready for your attention.  (Yes, that means you, G.A.! Grin )

DKP - 02 Nov 07 - 11:48 AM

Ch. 20: Give and Take

Normally, I prefer to read completed stories, too, and avoid WiPs with determination. After getting started on this saga with RaH and FFaF, though, I hopelessly lost all willpower...

Ah, after your lovely but... disheartening... opening quote, Adaneth, that was quite an "understanding" that Saelon and Dírmaen reached. At least they both were able to frankly state their minds. Saelon's dictation is well-made, too, for Dírmaen's prejudices are definitely getting in the way.

It leads me back to the previous chapter, where you used Auð's PoV so eloquently to highlight Veylin's own prejudices and their parallels with the Ranger's: both seem to have met the "wrong" types (or I should say, "typical" types) of each other's race on the road, and neither seems very willing to allow for exceptions. (I notice, for example, that Veylin does not mention Halladan's respectful relationship with Saelon.) I thought I might have caught some allowance being made in Veylin's attitude towards Dírmaen at the end of this final chapter, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Small points I really enjoyed: I love Auð's thoughts about her menfolk (and male Dwarves in general) in the previous chapter, and Veylin's opinion about Thyrð's curiosity in this one. Veylin's care in his speech with Saelon is touching in its deep respect and regard. I love the twists that you so naturally and casually tuck in: The strangeness of Men was a lode that could not be exhausted. I know cultural differences are a main part of your stories, but you repeatedly allow me to truly walk in a Dwarf's boots.

I have a renewed appreciation for your title: you've shown us everyone's various passions, so alike even in their dissimilar focuses. I can't praise your stories highly enough, whether the topic is pacing, tone, style, quality, characterizations, setting – they are all done so very well. If anything, I am always left wishing for more details. (Did Saelon find anything of note herself when the tide went out? What was it like for her and Dírmaen to be stuck in the hall for the storm's duration? Etc. etc.)

It promised to be a most interesting journey to Lindon. Oh, indeed – I can hardly wait for you to get us started, even though I'm now approaching it with mixed enthusiasm and trepidation...

Elrûn - 06 Nov 07 - 1:09 AM

Ch. 20: Give and Take

Dear Adaneth,

Dírmaen is so jealous it hurts. Nonetheless, I hope his luck will yet turn. I cannot wait to see how your story unfolds!

Adaneth - 06 Nov 07 - 10:38 AM

Ch. 20: Give and Take

Thank you once again for your comments, Elrûn and DKP.  Please accept my apologies for ending things where I did--but if I didn't cut it off there, I would have had to go on for another 40,000 words, and I'm trying to keep each story at a managable length.  Since I had resolved the issues raised at the beginning of the story, it was time to move on.

But I'm already working on the next story, and should begin rolling it out by Thanksgiving.

In the meantime, I've got a short "prequel" one-shot in the works.  Someone asked for Dwarven romance for their birthday . . . .

Gilnaur - 31 May 07 - 6:58 PM

Ch. 21: When, Where, and Who

As usual, you write a darned good story. Looking foreward to this continuation of the Cycle.