Comments for: Meddling

Talk to Dwimordene

Meddling

daw - 30 May 07 - 10:21 AM

Ch. 1: Meddling

One of the things I like about fanfiction is the way it allows us to know more about the minor characters who jump out of the original story fully formed.  It's tempting to take them that way, but this is an insightful look at what it must have been like for Halbarad to come to terms with what his kin had to do in order to meet his destiny.  Also, it was a fun read.

Go to Meddling

Meddling

meckinock - 30 May 07 - 6:51 PM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Oh, Dwim, this iwas such a wonderful surprise!  Thank you so much.  And you picked my two favorite characters, too  (don't tell Aragorn).  I loved your portrayal of Halbarad - earnest and good-hearted and even at this tender age, already fiercely loyal to his Chieftain - and prescient in knowing that "we need him."  Wouldn't it indeed have been devastating to Halbarad to lose this newfound hope of the Dunedain so soon, and what better target for his outrage than Gandalf!  Gandalf exhibited the perfect balance of kindly patience and old-fashioned Maia-ly superiority here, not taking any guff from the young whippersnapper yet fondly taking him under his wing.  And I loved his last line.

Go to Meddling

Meddling

RS - 30 May 07 - 9:12 PM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Hi Dwim!

My favorite lines........"Window, or did you pick the lock?" .... "The locks here are easy,"

This was wonderful.

Go to Meddling

Meddling

Dwimordene - 30 May 07 - 9:30 PM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Agreed!

It's tempting to take them that way, but this is an insightful look at what it must have been like for Halbarad to come to terms with what his kin had to do in order to meet his destiny. Also, it was a fun read.

Thank you! One does wonder what the Dúnedain must have thought when Aragorn decides to head off to Rohan and Gondor for thirty years, and especially how Halbarad might have reacted.

I'm glad you enjoyed this, daw!

Dwim

Go to Meddling

Meddling

Dwimordene - 30 May 07 - 9:34 PM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Hello Birthday Girl!

Thank you so much.

You're welcome. It's really your fault anyway - the nuzgul came from *your* FFN bio musings.

And you picked my two favorite characters, too (don't tell Aragorn).

(Don't worry, I'll take care of him...)

I loved your portrayal of Halbarad - earnest and good-hearted and even at this tender age, already fiercely loyal to his Chieftain - and prescient in knowing that "we need him." Wouldn't it indeed have been devastating to Halbarad to lose this newfound hope of the Dunedain so soon, and what better target for his outrage than Gandalf!

Gandalf is probably lucky he only met Halbarad several months later, not immediately upon Halbarad's return to the Angle to hear all the news.

Gandalf exhibited the perfect balance of kindly patience and old-fashioned Maia-ly superiority here, not taking any guff from the young whippersnapper yet fondly taking him under his wing. And I loved his last line.

Gandalf is always a challenge, but I figure it's hard to go wrong by confronting him with earnest good-will. :-)

I'm glad you liked it! Happy belated birthday once again!

Dwim

Go to Meddling

Meddling

Dwimordene - 30 May 07 - 9:36 PM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Hello RS,

[snip favorite lines]

They were in honor of Meckinock's Halbarad, who has a way with doors that don't open. Also a way with people and small rooms. Heh.

This was wonderful

Thank you! I'm very pleased you enjoyed it.

Dwim

Go to Meddling

Meddling

Celebcùen - 31 May 07 - 12:05 AM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Hi Dwimordene,

This is the first time that I comment one of your stories, but I read a few of them.

I like this one a lot. I love the way you write dialogues, they are so natural and yet so meaningful.

The two characters are wonderful, watchful and still trustful, and Ilike the way they guess each other's thought and feelings.

A really good piece!!

Celeb

Go to Meddling

Meddling

Linda Hoyland - 31 May 07 - 12:05 AM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Most enjoyable.I have a soft spot for Halbarad and this filled in nicely what must have been a difficult time for the Rangers.You are spot on with Gandalf too.

Go to Meddling

Meddling

IVIaedhros - 15 Jun 07 - 12:19 PM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Heh, I like the image of Halbarad as the hovering mother over a young Aragorn.

Go to Meddling

Meddling

Dwimordene - 16 Jun 07 - 8:00 AM

Ch. 1: Meddling

Oops, I guess I've neglected comments for a bit!

Celeb, dialogue is something I love writing. It's so much fun, trying to get the characters to a point where what they say feels right for each of them. I'm glad you enjoyed that aspect of the story.

Linda: I have a soft spot for Halbarad. It's a common weakness among Dúnedain fanciers, I suspect. Thanks for your praise of Gandalf - he's always a challenge.

IVIaedhros: Halbarad is rather the fiercely protective sort in my mind, and especially at this age, he hasn't learned to moderate that impulse very well.

Thanks for commenting, everyone!

Dwim