Comments for: Coda

Talk to Imhiriel

Coda

DKP - 18 May 07 - 11:56 AM

I still love the symbolism and subtle backstory that you've woven into this, reaching across two Ages to another terrible downfall, also catalyzed by folly and pride. Wonderful!

Go to Coda

Coda

erunyauve - 22 May 07 - 11:41 AM

>>May this gift be guide, reminder and warning.

I think it's difficult to 'show' rather than 'tell' in the cramped format of the drabble, but you do this quite effectively.   This is really more like a picture snapped at just the right moment - the sort that become symbolic of a whole event.

Go to Coda

Coda

Elena Tiriel - 11 Jul 12 - 5:43 PM

This drabble is stunningly vivid in its imagery, and its warning about the pitfalls of pride is haunting. History does indeed repeat itself.

Incredibly beautiful, Imhiriel!

- Barbara

Go to Coda

Coda

Maeve Riannon - 19 May 07 - 1:52 PM

Ch. 1: Coda

I liked this very much. The ending was like a swift punch, which is the ideal of a drabble.

History repeats itself, indeed, since Man is the only animal who stumbles twice with the same rock. (so they say around here). Or Elves, for the matter...

Sigh.

Maeve

Go to Coda

Coda

Elena Tiriel - 07 Jan 09 - 5:03 AM

Ch. 1: Coda

Imhiriel,

This drabble is exquisite!

I can literally see the images in  my mind's eye.... And they break my heart.

Beautifully wrought!

- Barbara

Go to Coda

Coda

Earmire - 10 Jan 09 - 12:28 AM

Ch. 1: Coda

Fantastic!I've often wondered what part of the Feanorians went into Numenor - because, as you point out, there's such a strong parallel - and this is telling and pointed.

Go to Coda

Coda

Elena Tiriel - 10 Apr 11 - 8:02 AM

Ch. 1: Coda

Imhiriel,

"Coda" is such an extraordinary drabble....

"Scrolls of lore written in scarlet and black" is one of my favorite phrases of Tolkien's, and you wrought it into an image of exquisite vividness -- and heart-rending poignance.

I sought it out to re-read, to remind me that words of such poetic impact can still exist... even when my country seems so steeped in hubris and venality that I, too, feel adrift, floating in the wreckage of a once-great civilization corrupted by profound evil.

Thank you for this shining star in a long, dark night.

- Barbara