Comments for: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Talk to DrummerWench

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

DrummerWench - 19 May 07 - 9:51 AM

Thank you, Adaneth, Gwynnyd, and IVIaedhros, for your encouraging comments!  Grin I'm glad you find it useful and understandable.

DW

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

DrummerWench - 22 May 07 - 6:20 PM

Hi, Juno & Agape
Thanks for your appreciative comments!
I had thought about adding a bit on the possessive & verb forms, though really, it's all at one's fingertips with Google.  If y'all think it's worth it, I'll see if I can come up with something (properly Tolkien-related, of course).
DW

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

erunyauve - 24 May 07 - 11:14 AM

>>Note also, in the conversations between Aragorn and Éowyn in The Passing of the Grey Company,  he uses "you" or "your" in addressing her, that is, polite usage, while she uses the intimate "thou" and "thee".  Aragorn keeps her linguistically at arm's length, and she's trying to get closer to him.

This is so very interesting - I knew of the distinction between the words, but I'd never really looked at these passages in that context.  I think it partly fails to impress itself upon us because we know 'thee' and 'thou' only in an archaic sense.  Even when we know, objectively, that these are familiar rather than polite terms, our brains insist upon understanding them as polite because of the context in which we've seen them used.  (I think it seems a bit strange to people these days that the *familiar* form of 'you' would be used to address a deity.)

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

DrummerWench - 26 May 07 - 8:25 AM

erunyauve wrote:

Thanks, erunyauve!

Though I've read LOTR more times than I can count, I didn't pick up on this conciously until I analyzed it for this essay.  Then I went, "Oh, that's why I get this squicky feeling--I'm watching Éowyn basically humiliate before Aragorn."

Thanks for reading & commenting!Smile

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Adaneth - 17 May 07 - 6:15 AM

Ch. 1: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

I wish everyone could explain things this clearly, Drummerwench.

All right, no more excuses--you've all been told, now!  Grin  Thou hast got it?

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Gwynnyd - 18 May 07 - 7:07 AM

Ch. 1: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Very useful!  Thanks for compiling this.

Gwynnyd

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

IVIaedhros - 18 May 07 - 8:23 AM

Ch. 1: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

A nice bit of investigative work.  Thanks for writing this.

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Agape4Gondor - 19 May 07 - 9:18 PM

Ch. 1: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

That was lots of fun to read and interesting to boot!

Now doest and diest, knowest and goest and all such manner of speach - wouldst thou consider writing a little thesis on these?

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

JunoMagic - 20 May 07 - 2:11 AM

Ch. 1: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Very nice. Should be mandatory reading for all writers of Tolkien fanfic who think of attempting Tolkien's (pseudo-)archaic style!

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Elfique - 17 Mar 10 - 4:45 AM

Ch. 1: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

This is so, so useful!

*bows down* Grin

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

DrummerWench - 07 Apr 10 - 10:05 PM

Ch. 1: Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"

Thanks, Elfique, for your welcome comments! I'm sorry I let your note slip down the list. So embarassed!

Go to Tolkien's Usage of "Thou" and "Thee"