Comments for: A New Day

Talk to oshun

oshun - 06 Oct 07 - 6:20 PM

Thank you for your comments, Kestrel, glad that you enjoyed the first chapter. Funny you should mention the curly hair, that and how red-is-the-red have been the subject of a few geeky discussions I have had about Maedhros. Hope you read the rest of the chapters and let me know how they strike. This is my current obsession--getting to the end of this novella, although another one will follow it. I'm planning to write the whole story of their lives, but dividing into novellas for the sake of manageability.

Silvana - 07 Mar 07 - 1:35 AM

Ch. 1: Bright Morning

It is beautiful and very promising, I am eagerly waiting for moooooore!

I liked "Hatred" and it intrigued me and now, that you have woven it so graceful and credible in this story, it gives me a sense of familiarity and warm reassurance, to encounter it again ...this "dark, sizzling ficlet" becomes alive and this is wonderful.

I wish more and more details turn alive until this entire marvelous universe lives and developes a hröa through the power of its mighty fëa to which so many other beautiful fëar bring their contribution.

Silvana

oshun - 07 Mar 07 - 10:12 AM

Ch. 1: Bright Morning

Silvana, thanks so much for reading and reviewing. (It follows my recent Maedhros and Fingon story, "Maitimo and Findekano." Same story arc but very different period of their life.) I am excited about this one, but it will be more of a challenge--more history and politics required. On stealing from Dawn's "Hatred": what a privilege that she is so generous.

Gandalfs apprentice - 07 Mar 07 - 3:31 PM

Ch. 1: Bright Morning

You bring the pain and joy of Maedhros and Fingon marvelously to life.

Greywing - 07 Mar 07 - 3:53 PM

Ch. 1: Bright Morning

Great characterisation, even for the minor characters! I've already told you countless times how much I like the Sindarin healer :)

Jael - 07 Mar 07 - 4:20 PM

Ch. 1: Bright Morning

It has been a lot of fun to watch this story develope from the early drafts.  The final product is superb!

My favorite details are the reaction of Findekano to the new sun.  I had never really thought of that, but it must have taken some getting used to for people used to the light of the Trees, and even more so for those living in starlight or semi-twilight.

I also liked the detail about Maitimo's matted hair and Findekano's desire to spare as much of it as possible.  That had never occured to me either -- the physical effects of exposure on Elven hair and skin.  Nice touch.

oshun - 07 Mar 07 - 7:19 PM

Ch. 1: Bright Morning

Hey, thanks so much for reading, Gandalfs Apprenttice, Jael and Greywing. I am glad it worked for you especially, G.A., since I know elves are not really your thing (although I do sense erosion around the edges of your resistance). I appreciate that you were able to read it again, Jael. I was afraid I'd spoiled it for you forever--multiple drafts from the typo-queen here are torture. I am happy that you like my healer, Greywing, since you have created a classic with the one in your latest WIP.

Kestrel - 06 Oct 07 - 5:46 PM

Ch. 1: Bright Morning

Maedhros is one of my favorites.  I was surprised and quite pleased to find that someone else sees him with curly hair!  Most fanfiction, and almost every fan-drawn picture, depict him with straight hair.  So I'm glad Fingon was able to save the hair, and the rest of Maedhros.  So far, anyway.  I like the undercurrent of uncertainy here, and feel the Noldor are beginning to realize that this new world they've come to isn't going to be so accepting of them.

Kestrel - 07 Oct 07 - 2:29 PM

Ch. 2: Cousins, Lovers and Conspirators

I think the dialogue between Maitimo and Kano is very good, throughout the story.  I like that they are able to have some happiness, despite the tragedy.

Kestrel - 07 Oct 07 - 2:39 PM

Ch. 3: Lost But Not Forgotten

Feanor's sons remind me of Don Corleone and his brood, from "The Godfather".  Laugh out loud  Big and noisy!  I like Tadiel, she seems to be able to handle anything.

Kestrel - 07 Oct 07 - 3:01 PM

Ch. 5: The Games They Played

This story overall gives good insight to the Noldor, in Aman and in Middle Earth.  The Silm is my favorite Tolkien story, and you have done a very good job showing how complicated the Noldor and their lives were.  Snce I know how it ends, this is bittersweet to me, but you do a wonderful job showing this extended family.

oshun - 07 Oct 07 - 6:21 PM

Ch. 5: The Games They Played

Thanks again for further reviews on this novella, Kestral. I am hoping to add a new chapter really soon. You say, "This story overall gives good insight to the Noldor, in Aman and in Middle Earth." Thanks so much--I've tried to do that (from my minority position of shameless admirer of the Noldor and their incomparable contribution to the survival of the Eldar in Middle-earth beyond the first few years of the First Age!).