Comments for: The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

oshun - 08 Jan 07 - 4:26 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Very pleased to see that you are beginning to post these here. I can't wait to read upcoming additions.

Also, like Bilbo's voice here and what it reveals about Aragorn that he is trusted with these tales that are "as much part of the story" as the "cleaned up" tales in the Red Book.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Maeve Riannon - 08 Jan 07 - 11:30 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Hey, I like this! It has the real mythic quality of explaining how things of varied nature came to be (aitía) that I find lacking in Tolkien´s legendarium.

And the lady could put things clearly, LOL! I love the idea of the Númenor babies becoming dolphins. Only that I wonder why they left that story out from the Red Book... if the storyteller dresses Uinen up for narrative purposes and leaves out the paragraph about forbidden loves, it contains nothing objectionable.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Vilwarin - 09 Jan 07 - 3:40 AM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

That was wonderful G.A. I like the contents as well as how it was written - or translated. The letter gives a nice contrast to th other parts. I am looking forward to further stories.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Gandalfs apprentice - 09 Jan 07 - 12:54 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Hello, oshun, Maeve and Vilwarin: thanks for commenting!

Maeve: Uinen's defiance of Manwe is pretty blasphemous by Tolkien's standards, don't you think? Aside from the forbidden love, of course.

The next few stories in the collection will push the envelope a bit further.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Maeve Riannon - 10 Jan 07 - 1:03 AM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

I suppose so. Only that now, I wonder; Aulë defied Eru creating the Dwarves and he didn´t get his scenes cut... hmmh, methinks the Dwarves must have been a powerful lobby at the time of the Red Book´s publication. ;)

And I´m quite anxious to see the envelope pusshed a bit further, indeed I am!

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

dancingkatz - 23 Apr 07 - 6:32 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading this story because it is beautifully written. You have certainly given the tale "Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor" a voice that would not be amiss in one of hte good Professor's own collections.

I am most fond of "just so" stories and the like and this is certainly one of my favourites so far. I have bookmarked this so that I can re-read it at leisure, for it is a tale worth enjying again and again.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Gandalfs apprentice - 24 Apr 07 - 10:14 AM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Dancingkatz: Thanks! The Silmarillion is, after all, only a summary of the great tales...so I am adding a few longer ones to the list. I hope you enjoy all of them.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion