Comments for: The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Meril - 08 Mar 07 - 6:08 AM

Greywing, this story is an absolute delight to read; the last chapter is my favorite, I think, but there are so many gems through the whole thing...!

Well done!

~Allie

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Meril - 08 Mar 07 - 6:11 AM

Bugger.  Because greywing's name was mentioned in the last chapter, I mistakenly addressed the review to the wrong person!

G.A., your story is positively wonderful.

Well.  My mistake just means I was so eager to read it that I skipped over all niceties like who wrote it.  Quibbling little detail, that.  Wink

Apologetically,
Allie

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Greywing - 08 Mar 07 - 8:24 AM

My ego is now hugely inflated from being confused with the illustrous G.A.! Smile  You can imagine my elation when G.A. decided to use my lowly scribbles for her appendix. This is such a wondrously creative collection of stories. Let's have another round of applause for her, please!

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Gandalfs apprentice - 09 Mar 07 - 8:37 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your comments on "The Blue Book." I've been dodging thunderbolts and giant eagles all week.

Freyalyn: I hope you have stopped choking by now.

Oshun: I think Feanorian obsession rubs off onto Feanorian fans.

Meril: no sweat on author identity: I'm proud you can't tell me apart from greywing!

Greywing: keep the madness coming.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

kenaz - 11 Apr 07 - 10:06 AM

This whole thing is genius from beginning to end.  "Notes from the Translator" is my particular favorite, but I'm utterly astounded at your ability to weave canon, folklore, original storytelling and fandom in-jokes into such a lovely, adept, and cohesive whole!!  Fantastic work!

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Gandalfs apprentice - 12 Apr 07 - 9:29 AM

Dear kenaz:

Thanks for your kind remarks on my story--it was great fun to write. Tolkien's intent to create a living mythology is one of the strongest aspects of his work, and I wanted to make the connections with "real" mythology more explicit--and tell jokes in the process! Greywing is now illustrating the entire piece--I'll post a note as her pictures go up.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

DrummerWench - 15 Apr 07 - 8:56 PM

Hi, GA!
Congrats on your positive reviews!  This suite of stories certainly deserves it.
Your plan to expand the "living mythology" is wildly successful.  I'm not sure what JRRT would have thought of it, but I think it's fabulous--and hysterical!
DW

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Gandalfs apprentice - 16 Apr 07 - 10:39 AM

DrummerWench: Thanks for your comment. I can't imagine that JRRT would have liked this irreverent set of tales, but certainly he would have recognized the sources and understood the goal of creating a "living mythology." My aim, of course, is to entertain.

Go to The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Ithilatta - 17 Jul 10 - 5:11 AM

ROFL wow.... Thurender the Thilmaril ROFL ...... GA, you are blessed to be able to write something this gorgeous. When/If I'm able to calm down from laughing like mad I'll try another comment on this.

ROTFLMAO