Comments for: The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins, or, Tales of the Forbidden Silmarillion

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

Meril - 08 Mar 07 - 6:08 AM

Greywing, this story is an absolute delight to read; the last chapter is my favorite, I think, but there are so many gems through the whole thing...!

Well done!

~Allie

Meril - 08 Mar 07 - 6:11 AM

Bugger.  Because greywing's name was mentioned in the last chapter, I mistakenly addressed the review to the wrong person!

G.A., your story is positively wonderful.

Well.  My mistake just means I was so eager to read it that I skipped over all niceties like who wrote it.  Quibbling little detail, that.  Wink

Apologetically,
Allie

Greywing - 08 Mar 07 - 8:24 AM

My ego is now hugely inflated from being confused with the illustrous G.A.! Smile  You can imagine my elation when G.A. decided to use my lowly scribbles for her appendix. This is such a wondrously creative collection of stories. Let's have another round of applause for her, please!

Gandalfs apprentice - 09 Mar 07 - 8:37 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your comments on "The Blue Book." I've been dodging thunderbolts and giant eagles all week.

Freyalyn: I hope you have stopped choking by now.

Oshun: I think Feanorian obsession rubs off onto Feanorian fans.

Meril: no sweat on author identity: I'm proud you can't tell me apart from greywing!

Greywing: keep the madness coming.

kenaz - 11 Apr 07 - 10:06 AM

This whole thing is genius from beginning to end.  "Notes from the Translator" is my particular favorite, but I'm utterly astounded at your ability to weave canon, folklore, original storytelling and fandom in-jokes into such a lovely, adept, and cohesive whole!!  Fantastic work!

Gandalfs apprentice - 12 Apr 07 - 9:29 AM

Dear kenaz:

Thanks for your kind remarks on my story--it was great fun to write. Tolkien's intent to create a living mythology is one of the strongest aspects of his work, and I wanted to make the connections with "real" mythology more explicit--and tell jokes in the process! Greywing is now illustrating the entire piece--I'll post a note as her pictures go up.

DrummerWench - 15 Apr 07 - 8:56 PM

Hi, GA!
Congrats on your positive reviews!  This suite of stories certainly deserves it.
Your plan to expand the "living mythology" is wildly successful.  I'm not sure what JRRT would have thought of it, but I think it's fabulous--and hysterical!
DW

Gandalfs apprentice - 16 Apr 07 - 10:39 AM

DrummerWench: Thanks for your comment. I can't imagine that JRRT would have liked this irreverent set of tales, but certainly he would have recognized the sources and understood the goal of creating a "living mythology." My aim, of course, is to entertain.

Ithilatta - 17 Jul 10 - 5:11 AM

ROFL wow.... Thurender the Thilmaril ROFL ...... GA, you are blessed to be able to write something this gorgeous. When/If I'm able to calm down from laughing like mad I'll try another comment on this.

ROTFLMAO

oshun - 08 Jan 07 - 4:26 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Very pleased to see that you are beginning to post these here. I can't wait to read upcoming additions.

Also, like Bilbo's voice here and what it reveals about Aragorn that he is trusted with these tales that are "as much part of the story" as the "cleaned up" tales in the Red Book.

Maeve Riannon - 08 Jan 07 - 11:30 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Hey, I like this! It has the real mythic quality of explaining how things of varied nature came to be (aitía) that I find lacking in Tolkien´s legendarium.

And the lady could put things clearly, LOL! I love the idea of the Númenor babies becoming dolphins. Only that I wonder why they left that story out from the Red Book... if the storyteller dresses Uinen up for narrative purposes and leaves out the paragraph about forbidden loves, it contains nothing objectionable.

Vilwarin - 09 Jan 07 - 3:40 AM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

That was wonderful G.A. I like the contents as well as how it was written - or translated. The letter gives a nice contrast to th other parts. I am looking forward to further stories.

Gandalfs apprentice - 09 Jan 07 - 12:54 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Hello, oshun, Maeve and Vilwarin: thanks for commenting!

Maeve: Uinen's defiance of Manwe is pretty blasphemous by Tolkien's standards, don't you think? Aside from the forbidden love, of course.

The next few stories in the collection will push the envelope a bit further.

Maeve Riannon - 10 Jan 07 - 1:03 AM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

I suppose so. Only that now, I wonder; Aulë defied Eru creating the Dwarves and he didn´t get his scenes cut... hmmh, methinks the Dwarves must have been a powerful lobby at the time of the Red Book´s publication. ;)

And I´m quite anxious to see the envelope pusshed a bit further, indeed I am!

dancingkatz - 23 Apr 07 - 6:32 PM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading this story because it is beautifully written. You have certainly given the tale "Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor" a voice that would not be amiss in one of hte good Professor's own collections.

I am most fond of "just so" stories and the like and this is certainly one of my favourites so far. I have bookmarked this so that I can re-read it at leisure, for it is a tale worth enjying again and again.

Gandalfs apprentice - 24 Apr 07 - 10:14 AM

Ch. 1: Of Uinen and the Children of Númenor

Dancingkatz: Thanks! The Silmarillion is, after all, only a summary of the great tales...so I am adding a few longer ones to the list. I hope you enjoy all of them.

DrummerWench - 11 Jan 07 - 9:05 PM

Ch. 2: The Judgment of Tuor

Oooh, so you've got Idril leaving Maeglin for Tuor!  Very clever--no wonder he was pissed!

Excellent tale, nice reworking of both traditions.

IVIaedhros - 28 Feb 07 - 7:44 AM

Ch. 5: The Passions of Manwë

Heh, a wonderfully witty blend of LotR cannon, AU, and old myths.  This was a really excellent idea and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Gandalfs apprentice - 28 Feb 07 - 2:31 PM

Ch. 5: The Passions of Manwë

To me, the Sil reads as if a censor had his way with it. "The Blue Book" is an attempt to set it right! Thanks for commenting.

Maeve Riannon - 26 Feb 07 - 11:31 PM

Ch. 6: The Great Mother

A very worthy end!

You have given poignancy to the mostly boring babblings and arguments of experts on the Mediterranean Great Mother. But the touch of evemerism in the end is a bit too blasphemous. Not that I am going to complain. ;)

One little thing that made me "euh?" was how the women are called Women and then the men are called Men. It´s the fault of English that the word "woman" comes from "man" and not the other way round, so the effect is a bit curious. I imagine it´s a translation from an Elvish text, and yet this is one of the very few ocassions where I could use an Elvish word. :)

This story has definitely grown much since it started, and this does not mean I´m complaining about the beginning. Your ability to weave myths into seamless patterns has increased, both in delirious and in "reasonable" mode. ;)

oshun - 07 Mar 07 - 9:05 PM

Ch. 8: Notes from the Translator

By far my favorite chapter--obviously since I love Maedhros and Maglor. Still not sure Dior would have handed the Silmaril over that easily if he understood the request, but your arguments are persuasive within your own wickedly skewed world. I like the idea that Maglor had the best ear for languages (also share his annoyance at being pegged as second-best to that wimpy Daeron--I refuse to believe it). The picture you paint of Maedhros's dilemma in trying to deal with his brothers' shortcomings, is cruel to the other six, but funny and has scraps of truth.

Freyalyn - 08 Mar 07 - 1:26 AM

Ch. 8: Notes from the Translator

I think you'd better go and sit down now with a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.  Perhaps you might like a cold compress for your head, and put your feet up.

I'm sure you'll feel more normal shortly.....

(I certainly won't - I'm still choking....)

Shasta - 25 Mar 07 - 2:40 PM

Ch. 8: Notes from the Translator

The translator's notes made all the previous chapters suddenly and inexplicably hilarious. THANK YOU.

As a side note, my condolences to the realm of Doriath.

Alassante - 27 Apr 07 - 9:57 PM

Ch. 8: Notes from the Translator

OMG I think I almost hurt myself laughing! I cannot believe that last bit by Greywing. That girl is a nut!

"I thaid, thurrender the Thilmaril!"

Then this line killed me...

"So that was what you wanted?" he rasped. "Why didn't you just ask—"

ROTFLMAO

Elena Tiriel - 25 Apr 10 - 12:05 PM

Ch. 8: Notes from the Translator

Oh, this is so funny, GA!  So that's where LaCE came from.... ROTFLMAO

The tales cheered me up -- and the artworks did, too.

Very nicely done, thank you for sharing this!

- Barbara