Comments for: Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Talk to erunyauve

Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Adaneth - 02 Jan 07 - 4:49 AM

Ch. 1: An Essay

I know enough about linguistics to appreciate this, and I wish I knew enough to be able to keep all the lenition and such straight in Tolkien's languages!

Ah, the messes we get in with our pidgin-Sindarin.  Smile

Thanks for the correction--

Adaneth

Go to Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

oshun - 02 Jan 07 - 11:57 AM

Ch. 1: An Essay

Thanks! The reason why I use Sindarin references sparingly and only from limited sources (usually David Salo).

Go to Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Gwynnyd - 02 Jan 07 - 4:54 PM

Ch. 1: An Essay

(clears throat)

Well! I am very glad I never used 'pen-neth' anywhere.

Um, what would you suggest if someone wanted to say "young one" correctly?

Gwynnyd

Go to Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

erunyauve - 03 Jan 07 - 5:15 AM

Ch. 1: An Essay

>>I wish I knew enough to be able to keep all the lenition and such straight in Tolkien's languages!

I think it's easier to spot than it is to use, and as usual, Tolkien changed his mind from time to time, so we get some unexpected examples from the corpus.

Go to Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

erunyauve - 03 Jan 07 - 5:28 AM

Ch. 1: An Essay

>>The reason why I use Sindarin references sparingly and only from limited sources (usually David Salo).

He's done a lot for those of us more interested in Sindarin than Quenya.  I realise that a lot of his work is theoretical, but he is careful to note that and to explain how he came to his conclusions.  For our purpose, as fan fiction writers, we're often in the same position he was in when he did the translations for the films - the corpus just doesn't exist, and we have to resort to what we do know of Sindarin and Quenya to fill in the gaps.

Go to Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth

erunyauve - 03 Jan 07 - 5:36 AM

Ch. 1: An Essay

>>Um, what would you suggest if someone wanted to say "young one" correctly?

I think 'nethben' would be the likely result.  I sort of quibbled over whether 'one' would usually be found in compound, and I think that's what Tolkien intended by 'enclitic'.

Go to Without Young, or the Curious Fanon of Pen-Neth