Comments for: Fair Folk and Foul

Talk to Adaneth

Aganaphel - 02 Feb 07 - 2:11 PM

I have read your story in one sitting and then the next day I have read the prequel. It is really an OUTSTANDING story: the plot, the language, the setting - everything.

I have never before read a story where Dwarves were portrayed so well: noble and greedy, quick to anger and slow to friendship...   so much like Tolkien wrote them. Men are also delightful, so very realistic. And Elves. I think I have read a score of stories with Elladan and Elrohir in them, but yours is the best. And the Elven coastal guard... I can picture him so well.

I hope you continue and write another sequel. I will be loath to abandon your characters, Veylin and Saelon.

Best wishes,

Aganaphel

Adaneth - 05 Feb 07 - 5:49 AM

Thank you, Aganaphel.  I'm glad you're enjoying my stories!

I am very fond of Dwarves, as you can probably tell.  I don't think most people do them justice--although that goes all the way back to Tolkien's source material, like the Volsung Cycle (aka the Nibelungenlied, Wagner's Ring Cycle) and Volund's saga.  But they can be nasty little buggers, too!  Laugh out loud

Yes, further stories are planned, so Saelon and Veylin should be around for a while.

Apologies to my regular readers--no chapter today, and probably not until later in the week.  The Dwarves felt they weren't getting their fair share of the plot in "Fair Folk and Foul," but we seem to have negotiated a satisfactory compromise.  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Elrûn - 26 Mar 07 - 12:16 AM

Adaneth,  please let me tell you how much I like your stories.  In general, I am impressed by the way you describe everything. And then, each chapter is filled with so much substance - must have something to do with dwarven influence...

I have never commented on your story before. This is a shame, I have to admit. Moreover, by many standards your stories are the most subtle and beautiful ones I have ever read. It is clear to me that you are in the process of creating something extraordinary, even unique. On this occasion, I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing it with me.

Adaneth - 26 Mar 07 - 6:03 AM

Elrûn, what a lovely thing to find among my e-mails early on a Monday morning!  Thank you: today is going to be a grind, and this will lighten my heart along the way.

I'm glad you like the "substance," because I can't help myself: I'm an archaeologist, and things and places tell me so much about people.  Undoubtedly this is one of the reasons why I find the company of Dwarves so congenial.  Grin

Credit should go, however, where credit is due.  I would never have written these stories if it wasn't for the pleasure and creative stimulation I have found on HASA.  In my very hectic life, I would occasionally pop in for much-needed mental refreshment, and finally succumbed to the inspiration I found here last summer.  It is an honor to hear that I can bring people some of the joy I have found here myself.

Keep reading; keep writing.

Adaneth

"Heroism is endurance for one moment more."
--a Sherpa proverb

Songster - 24 Apr 07 - 2:16 PM

A quick note to let you know how much I appreciate your stories, especially your detailed depictions of the cultural differences between dwarves, men, and elves.  Clearly, a great deal of research and thought has gone into your work!

Songster

Adaneth - 26 Apr 07 - 4:11 AM

Thank you for complimenting the "background" bits, Songster.  Smile   Yes, I have spent a fair amount of time musing on things like "how do you relate to people who live less than half as long as you do?"  (I will continue to explore this, since it gets even more difficult when one of them is your friend.)

I will continue to, hm, delve  Wink  into these kinds of cultural differences in the next story in the cycle, which will start appearing before too long.

So, Aganaphel, don't waste too much pity on the fact that this one is over.  More is coming.  Grin

Cheers--

Adaneth

Mantida - 08 Jun 07 - 7:01 AM

The second part is equally engaging as the first one! Smile More on the forum.

Dwimordene - 15 Aug 07 - 5:40 PM

Another superb story, Adaneth! I enjoyed this one just as much as the first installment, and was intrigued to watch the hints of dwarven culture get unfolded here in greater detail.

Given my love of the Rangers, I loved your depiction of Dirmaen and his perspective. He's interestingly in the middle - a Dunadan, but not one of Saelon's folk, nor wholly trusted by them; a traveller who knows Dwarves on the road, but has never dealt with them on their own terms and ground.

And now there's that elven ship still to think of...

Well done, thanks for a great read!

Dwim

Adaneth - 28 Aug 07 - 5:25 AM

Thank you for the comment, Dwimordene--I would have replied sooner but I was guiding a party of adventurers through the Wild (and wishing I could stay there).  Laugh out loud

A little more and you will have caught up with my continuing saga, although perhaps you are one of those readers who would rather wait until the whole story is finished before you start.  In any case, the third tale, "Of Like Passion"--wherein I venture deeper into dwarven culture, Lindon calls the Men to account, and Dirmean becomes more entangled with Habad--should be complete before long . . . .  The fourth is already starting to tease my brain.

You're welcome.  It's a pleasure to write for an appreciative audience.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Lady Bluejay - 16 Jan 11 - 6:34 AM

The fiends slain at last. Immensely exciting action!

I love the weaving of real culture, landscape and customs into a imaginary world.

A fabulous read - on to the next. LBJ

Adaneth - 21 Jan 11 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for reading, Lady Bluejay!  I always enjoy your stories, so I'm glad to return the favor.

Many apologies to my long-time readers--I know I appeared to drop off the face of Middle-earth for a while, but getting a dwarven muse to face something unpleasant is difficult, especially when RL is unrelenting.  I am pleased to report, however, that things are moving forward again.  I have been tidying up the earlier stories in my Dûnhebaid Cycle (Of Like Passion will be reposted this weekend) and the Dictionary; by the time that is finished, I should have finished my current WIP, "Hand to Hand."  I have three new chapters finished, but rather than leave you all hanging again, I will wait until the last two chapters are complete.

If StubbornCloud is still out there, thank you for your e-mail!  Yes, I know Saelon and Dírmaen do not seem well suited, but even the wise are not invariably so, and life sometimes surprises us.  I am still waiting for the characters to tell ME what will happen!  Grin

Dindrane, thank you for the kind invitation, but if I join any more forums, I won't have time to write!  Frown  If you'd like to chat, can you drop by my forum here?

I hope to have more time to catch up with you all soon, but I better get that WIP done first . . . .

Cheers--

Adaneth

DrummerWench - 17 Dec 06 - 9:24 PM

Ch. 2: Debateable Land

Hi, Adaneth!

Once again, I greatly enjoy your tale of Saelon and Veylin.  The characters are all so real, with quirks and failings as well as talents.

DrummerWench

Adaneth - 18 Dec 06 - 6:31 AM

Ch. 2: Debateable Land

The characters are all so real, with quirks and failings as well as talents.

What would we do for plot twists, DrummerWench, if it wasn't for personality quirks and character flaws?  Smile

I'm glad you're enjoying their company, regardless.  I'll be introducing you all to someone new, and a new pov, in the next chapter.

Cheers--

Adaneth

Gwynnyd - 18 Dec 06 - 9:10 AM

Ch. 2: Debateable Land

I have not forgotten the fiends,

Oh, me neither.  But this is great! I like the way  Saelon is growing into her role.

Gwynnyd

Gilnaur - 29 Jan 07 - 8:19 AM

Ch. 8: --You Can See the Stars

Adaneth - 30 Jan 07 - 3:58 AM

Ch. 8: --You Can See the Stars

Your story is up to its usual outstanding quality. Your characters continue to have great deepth and believability. Love your main character Saelon. She has spirit. Looking forward to more chapters.

Glad you're still enjoying the ride, Gilnaur.

I thought it was important to show that even strong-willed people have days when they want to pull the covers over their head and wish the world away.  Monsters are so much simpler, in many ways, than other people and the daily grind.

More chapters are coming, but they may come a little more slowly for a while.  Real life is nipping at my heels.  Smile

Gangorn - 09 Feb 07 - 6:44 AM

Ch. 9: Harvest Home

Thank you for another excellent chapter.  I will be eagerly awaiting the next one.  You have no idea how much seeing any author alert in my email brightens my day.

Gilnaur - 09 Feb 07 - 8:58 AM

Ch. 9: Harvest Home

Another great chapter. Love the interplay between the characters. You write a great story!

Adaneth - 10 Feb 07 - 7:39 AM

Ch. 9: Harvest Home

Thank you, Gangorn and Gilnaur!

Now, wait until they've all had a snootful of ale.  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Gangorn - 28 Feb 07 - 7:07 AM

Ch. 11: Hard of Heart

Thank you for another great chapter, please keep up the good work.

Aganaphel - 24 Mar 07 - 1:49 PM

Ch. 13: Doubtful Friends

Excellent new chapters, Adaneth!

I have a bad feeling that the hunt will end badly for Haplan and Aniel. Only Dírmaen seems really up to the task. Please continue your wonderful story,

Cheers, Aganaphel

Adaneth - 25 Mar 07 - 6:42 AM

Ch. 13: Doubtful Friends

I'm glad you're enjoying the ride, Aganaphel.

What, you don't think 15 Dwarves can handle 5 Dunedain-slaying monsters without the help of a few long-legged striplings?  Wink

Cheers--

Adaneth

Gilnaur - 10 Apr 07 - 12:25 PM

Ch. 15: Monsters of the Mere

Wonder if they got them all? Story still is very compelling and will be looking for the further adventures of the dwarfs.

Aganaphel - 15 Apr 07 - 10:46 AM

Ch. 15: Monsters of the Mere

It is incredibly captivating and wonderfully written. I can't wait to see what happens next...

Adaneth - 16 Apr 07 - 12:29 PM

Ch. 15: Monsters of the Mere

Well, Gilnaur, they must have missed one, or Beowulf wouldn't have gotten his shot at fame! Wink

(If you remember, one of the small ones ran off during the foray when the Chieftain was killed, with Rangers in pursuit.)

I'm glad you're enjoying it too, Aganaphel.  The next chapter is the last in this story, but the third story in the cycle is in preparation.  Would you like to meet Veylin's sister?

Thanks for the comments!

Adaneth

Elrûn - 23 Apr 07 - 6:34 AM

Ch. 16: Satisfaction

Adaneth,

once again you have my sincere gratitude for what you are writing and sharing. I have nothing to add to my previous general comment. As it was not exactly scathing, I will leave it to that.

As for the last chapter, while your story's protagonists may well be satisfied, I am not: Please let me hope more of you writing will see the light of day to chase the sometimes grey shadows of reality...

Elrûn

Gilnaur - 23 Apr 07 - 7:43 AM

Ch. 16: Satisfaction

Nice ending for this portion. Looking forward to the next!

Adaneth - 24 Apr 07 - 4:27 AM

Ch. 16: Satisfaction

Satisfaction is relative, Elrûn--after what they've been through, they'll settle for this.  For the winter.  Wink

Give me a little time to lay some RL fiends to rest, and I'll come back with more tales to tell and some new people to meet.  I hope you'll only have to wait twice as long as Saelon did.

I'm glad my stories can brighten your day.  Writing them certainly helps me get through mine.  Smile

Cheers--

Adaneth

Aganaphel - 24 Apr 07 - 1:11 PM

Ch. 16: Satisfaction

Wonderful story! Pity it has ended. I loved every word of it!

Cheers, Aganaphel

Gilnaur - 10 Dec 06 - 11:01 AM

Ch. 17: When, Where, and Who

Glad to see the new installment. I really like the personalities you create for your characters. They are believable and the atmosphere and times of the country they reside in are true to the canon. Great work! Looking foreward to the next chapter.