Comments for: South

Talk to Aliana

South

DKP - 11 Dec 06 - 12:23 AM

Ch. 1: South

Hello, Aliana,

I loved this story. You use such beautiful and poetic prose and vivid descriptions that I felt like I was sharing Merry's dreams and experiences. There are too many sentences and phrases that jumped out at me to list all of them, but I really loved: The quiet minutes are as full as a busy hour of Shire-gossip.

and: But in some ways his world is also smaller, now, shrunk down to the roomful of people with whom he can sit in silence and not feel the need to explain.

I also very much enjoyed the parallels and differences that you drew between the two important women in his life, and the different ways he loves and needs them.

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this.

Denise

Go to South

South

Aliana - 11 Dec 06 - 4:11 PM

Ch. 1: South

Thanks, Denise!  I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Go to South

South

Raksha The Demon - 11 Dec 06 - 7:01 PM

Ch. 1: South

This is beautiful - Merry and Eowyn shared a strange and terrible time in which they owed each other their lives; that, and Merry's love for Theoden and his kin, binds them together in the peaceful future as well as the past.  And it all seems very natural as written here.

I love the imagery of Merry's dream of the horses.

Go to South

South

Aliana - 11 Dec 06 - 10:06 PM

Ch. 1: South

Thank you, Raksha!  I'm very happy that you got a sense of the deep bond between Merry and Eowyn, and also his ties to Rohan.  I see it as one of the most important aspects of his character and also his maturity after the War.

Cheers, Aliana

Go to South

South

Dwimordene - 15 Dec 06 - 4:28 PM

Ch. 1: South

Hi Aliana,

I saw this go up about a week ago, and have just had time to read it.

Marvelous! I love the way you can string these wonderfully dense, yet precisely worded moments together. It's like a collage, but there's always the thread of memory and silence that pulls all the ends that might have dangled back together.

Wondeful stuff!

Dwim

Go to South

South

Aliana - 15 Dec 06 - 11:32 PM

Ch. 1: South

Hi, Dwim!

Thanks, this means a lot to me, as brevity's grown more and more important to me as a writer over the past few years.

I've often had my writing described as snapshot-like, so I'm glad to hear that the pictures cohere into something whole. ;)

Thanks for reading!

Aliana

Go to South

South

Larner - 21 Dec 07 - 4:13 AM

Ch. 1: South

For those who have been through the glory and terror of war as has Merry, there is so often the need to connect again with those who shared that time with them.

A marvelous, thoughtful tale.

Go to South