Comments for: Affiliations

Talk to Dwimordene

Affiliations

Soubrettina - 26 Mar 07 - 8:57 AM

The very definition of 'fills plot hole'. So much is missing as to how the rangers actually lived between the fall of the North Kingdom and the Ring War (quite a bit missing about the North Kingdom all together, really). One imagines towns like Bree which survived devolved into thier own bailiwicks, rather like the Shire.

Go to Affiliations

Affiliations

Dwimordene - 26 Mar 07 - 9:52 PM

Hi Soubrettina,

Thank you for your kind words, especially this bit: "The very definition of 'fills plot hole'". I got a kick out of that!

No doubt. It's kind of eerie to think of them falling away from each other, and many of them just falling back into the wilderness, period.

Dwim

Go to Affiliations

Affiliations

Agape4Gondor - 07 Dec 06 - 1:20 PM

Ch. 1: Confession

Oh, Dwim.... you took my breath away with this. Something very special.

Go to Affiliations

Affiliations

Dwimordene - 07 Dec 06 - 9:31 PM

Ch. 1: Confession

Thank you, Agape. Glad you liked it!

Dwim

Go to Affiliations

Affiliations

RS - 15 Dec 06 - 1:29 PM

Ch. 1: Confession

Hi Dwimordene!

I've read this several times and felt sorrow for "the line" of chieftans and "kings to be" that were born into this duty (or should I say burden), whether they liked it or not. And boy, what a life!

This is a beautiful piece of work.  Aragorn pondering about his history while (I'm imagining) holding his son.  Giving his forefathers' personalities made it more real for me.

A wonderful history lesson!

RS

Go to Affiliations

Affiliations

Dwimordene - 15 Dec 06 - 4:04 PM

Ch. 1: Confession

Hi RS,

Dynasty is no easy thing, especially when responsibility is taken seriously, along with vulnerability.

This is a beautiful piece of work. Aragorn pondering about his history while (I'm imagining) holding his son.

Yes, that's the image in my head. I always find images of young fathers with their children very moving (not that Aragorn is young, but he's new to this at least). It's an interesting combination of energy and restraint.

A wonderful history lesson!

Thank you! I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

TTFN,

Dwim

Go to Affiliations

Affiliations

Earmire - 19 Dec 08 - 12:41 PM

Ch. 1: Confession

This is astounding - you have given so much body to what might be a laundry list, and done it with such beauty and economy of words. It puts so much about the North and about the culture in which Aragorn is raised - of storytellers instead of record-keepers, laconic but humane and with long memories. Fantastic. Thank you for writing this.

Go to Affiliations

Affiliations

Dwimordene - 19 Dec 08 - 3:41 PM

Ch. 1: Confession

Thank you so much for your comments, Earmire! "Laconic and humane" is about what I was aiming for - I'm not sure this story could easily bear anything more lush than laconic story-telling!

I'm really glad that this little piece succeeded in lifting fourteen names off a page for you and giving them a life that illuminates something about the culture of the Rangers and the Northern Dúnedain.

Take care, and happy holidays!

Dwim