Comments for: The Land of Gift

Talk to Maeve Riannon

The Land of Gift

Gandalfs apprentice - 03 Jan 07 - 11:18 AM

Ch. 1: The Land of Gift

What an extraordinary, intriguing idea! I like it for both the fates of Idril and Tuor and the founding of the land.

Go to The Land of Gift

The Land of Gift

Maeve Riannon - 03 Jan 07 - 1:36 PM

Ch. 1: The Land of Gift

Hehe -thanks. I told myself, if even Tolkien found an uncanonical solution for this, why shouldn´t I? ;) Who cares that metamorphosis is not a Silmarillion notion?

Actually, about Tuor and Idril, I always felt somehow cheated because of the way that Tolkien skirts around the issue. If we read the rest of his writings, it is obvious that no Man can become an Elf, and if this was true for Beren then it should be true for Tuor, too -not to mention that the terrors of Elf/ Man marriage, that very few people have dared to brave, lose their meaning a bit if everyone finds some sort of arrangement that prevents them from being torn apart by old age and death.

Go to The Land of Gift

The Land of Gift

Aganaphel - 12 May 07 - 4:47 PM

Ch. 1: The Land of Gift

What a great story!

I like it better than Tolkien's implied happy end for I&T! *hides*

Go to The Land of Gift

The Land of Gift

Maeve Riannon - 13 May 07 - 3:10 AM

Ch. 1: The Land of Gift

What a great story!

I like it better than Tolkien's implied happy end for I&T! *hides*

Thanks, Aganaphel!

Even though I wrote it last year, I think it might stand as a brief apology for not highlighting the Immortality Issue in "my" Númenor as much as Tolkien intended. Those sorts of things are better conveyed in mythical than historical mode, perhaps. Smile

Go to The Land of Gift

The Land of Gift

TariElfLady - 16 May 07 - 9:34 AM

Ch. 1: The Land of Gift

What a beautifful yet haunting ficlet.  So glad Marta recommended it.

Tari

Go to The Land of Gift

The Land of Gift

Maeve Riannon - 16 May 07 - 11:26 PM

Ch. 1: The Land of Gift

What a beautifful yet haunting ficlet.  So glad Marta recommended it.

Tari