Comments for: Green Magic

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

Green Magic

Gandalfs apprentice - 06 Jun 07 - 8:25 AM

Hi, Maeve: Anyone visiting a Redwood forest just has to think of Ents and Huorns, and who else to guard them?? This story was inspired by a trip to the Muir Woods. Glad you liked it! It was great fun to write.

Go to Green Magic

Green Magic

Dwimordene - 04 Jan 07 - 8:19 AM

Ch. 1: Green Magic

Hi GA,

I just saw this had been reviewed, and I'm so pleased! I love the way you've integrated one of the most stubbornly enigmatic and idiosynchratic of Tolkien's characters into a modern day journey under the hill, as it were.

(Although I still find it rather unfair of you to leave us wondering about the other son. Perhaps, however, that is part of its eerie charm.)

Dwim

Go to Green Magic

Green Magic

Gandalfs apprentice - 04 Jan 07 - 4:42 PM

Ch. 1: Green Magic

Hi, Dwim: thanks for the kind words on my story. This particular character strikes me as by far the most American of all Tolkien's creations. He just had to turn up in California! As for the other son: well, part of the challenge was to write an ending with a twist.

Go to Green Magic

Green Magic

Dwimordene - 05 Jan 07 - 8:28 AM

Ch. 1: Green Magic

Tom Bombadil, hippy at large. ;-) Somehow, I just never saw that until this story! But now that you mention it, yes, California, and somewhere up north, sort of around Berkeley, would be the place for him...

Yes, but now I have visions of the poor kid getting raised by Bombadil and becoming a Thomas the Rhymer analogue--disappears for seven years only to return one day unable to do anything but speak the truth in hip-hop rhyme...

Dwim

Go to Green Magic

Green Magic

Maeve Riannon - 05 Jun 07 - 1:55 PM

Ch. 1: Green Magic

Scary. I actually found myself cheering at the ending. ;=)

This is a nice and light tale that blends Middle-Earth with our world quite effectively. *Too* effectively, maybe. I must confess that this Tom Bombadil felt far more sympathetic and natural to me than the book one. Maybe it´s because book Tom feels too eerily modern, too much like a Father Christmas or something of that kind....  and this feels a bit jarring in an ancient mythology^_^

Maeve

Go to Green Magic

Green Magic

AFriedman - 17 Oct 07 - 10:53 AM

Ch. 1: Green Magic

True dat.  The forests of Tolkien's world are very different from the forests of our own--unless you think about the California redwoods...  That's precisely the place where a Bombadil would belong.  AFriedman

Go to Green Magic

Green Magic

Sulien - 02 Dec 09 - 3:52 AM

Ch. 1: Green Magic

Anywhere redwoods grow is my favorite place to be and I can imagine that old Tom would definitely be drawn to the redwoods, especially there in Humboldt County where they still have a few groves of the beautiful old growth trees.  I have often found myself wishing that Tom, Treebeard and the other Ents were still around to help protect my beloved redwoods.  Thank you kindly for sharing this, I enjoyed it greatly!

Also, did you know that there is a redwood Ent who has gone treeish in Henry Cowell State Park?  He's a fairly short way along the main loop trail on the right side if you walk the trail from the end point to the beginning.  You can't miss him, he's got both arms upraised to the sun. ;-)

Go to Green Magic