Comments for: Not Fade Away

Talk to Jael

laureleaf - 03 Oct 06 - 7:46 PM

Ok, so I had to laugh outright at the wordplay 'I'm not a sue'.  At this point, I have a fair guess on several of the characters...but some have me quite stumped.  I also love the small slips that indicate just who they are. I can't wait to read more - which is a nice suprise, as most of the modern day stories that i've tried to read tend to leave much to be desired...

Beleth - 07 Jan 08 - 11:28 PM

So this was where the pic of Thranduil in the janitor's outfit came from?!

I love how you moved between the different times and places. It's very subtle.

This just shows that the Valar weren't all that and not everyone was content under their 'rule.' I also see that this story just proves Thranduil's love for his wife even more. Legolas was such a sad character when I learned that he already buried two wives, and was doomed to fade. He really deserved that he married someone else who deserved his love. The part about Linda being one of those elves from Cuivienen was a line that stood out the most. Not because it was in the last chapter, but because it emphasizes the sadness that comes with a long life for the Elves.

My favorite really has to be the realism of Posey's divorce. You have done a great job of slowly changing her feelings throughout the story.

Thanks for writing!

lilyoftheval5 - 30 Sep 08 - 2:17 AM

Thank you for the story. It has been a bitersweet pleasure reading it.

DrummerWench - 30 Jan 10 - 9:00 AM

Hi, Jael -Just reread this through, since it was there... Enjoyed it just as much as (or more than!) the first time.  What a great story!

Aiwendiel - 09 Feb 10 - 5:09 PM

Really enjoyable, witty writing and very skillful weaving of modern and mythical -- both in scene and story, and language and character. I was most amused by the way those wild ancient folk do love their jukeboxes and boilermakers. Loved it!

JunoMagic - 04 Oct 06 - 8:04 AM

Ch. 1: Prologue

Oh, what a lovely, authentic prologue. It sets the mood perfectly: real and mysterious at the same time!

JunoMagic - 04 Oct 06 - 8:10 AM

Ch. 2: The Cruelest Month

I think that was a very efficient and realistic way to get the story under way. And with some of the more exotic spam mails I get I wonder what would happen if one of them promised a way into another world and it turned out to be true...

JunoMagic - 04 Oct 06 - 8:14 AM

Ch. 3: Reversal Of Fortune

Very well written, it's exciting to be able to sense the mystery beneath it all when the protagonist is still completely clueless!

Iel_o_Thorongil - 03 Oct 06 - 10:35 PM

Ch. 4: What's Your Name, Who's Your Daddy?

man she just doesn't have a clue huh. This has me quite giddy with possibilities. I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

JunoMagic - 04 Oct 06 - 8:33 AM

Ch. 4: What's Your Name, Who's Your Daddy?

If I were a government agency, I'd be suspicious of that conglomerate, too! LOL!

This is shaping up to be a really interesting story, I'm really looking forward to reading more of it now, so you'd better hurry up with writing and posting! Wink

The only thing I'm having trouble with is identifying who is who among your disciples of the long hair cult... though I think I can make an educated guess about Leif's identity! Wink

laureleaf - 04 Oct 06 - 7:54 PM

Ch. 5: Trust I Seek

No fair! The sneak of an ex must be up to something...I love it and I can't wait to see how long she stays clueless (or if the ex will want her back once he realizes she's making much more now).

JunoMagic - 05 Oct 06 - 1:40 AM

Ch. 5: Trust I Seek

I loved the scene with the painting, brilliant: now it's time for our protagonist to become really suspicious. Hehehe.

And I was ROTFLMAO at the  "...They're better looking nowadays, but they're still with us."

Where's the next chapter? Wink

Jael - 05 Oct 06 - 11:18 AM

Ch. 5: Trust I Seek

Quick save by Glenn, making her think the Margaux have affected her.  One more 'clueless' chapter and we get down to business.

Where's the next chapter?

On my hard drive, fortunately, or I'd be feeling some serious pressure to perform and we all know what effect that can have! Laugh out loud

And now, Chapter Six, Santa and His Elves, is up!  Enjoy!

laureleaf - 05 Oct 06 - 1:53 PM

Ch. 6: Santa and His Elves

Laugh out loud She's still blissfully unaware - even with some of the more obvious things, I love it.  Just like the Govt - doggedly go after the wrong people! I can't wait to see where this goes - it's a fun story to read.

Iel_o_Thorongil - 05 Oct 06 - 9:52 PM

Ch. 6: Santa and His Elves

uhoh. stupid duncan and fitzhugh. always showing up at bad times. tsk tsk. I'm sure Leif and Glenn looked quite dashing in their 'costumes'. Thanks for the update!

JunoMagic - 06 Oct 06 - 3:49 AM

Ch. 6: Santa and His Elves

Oh, great chapter again. I loved that scene. Santa Claus and his Elves. *g*

And nice fore- and backshadowing, too! :-)

laureleaf - 06 Oct 06 - 5:35 PM

Ch. 7: The Snare

Well - I guess, she can't miss the obvious now! Wink  That was quite an interesting way to, um save 'Aaron' - wonder what 'Glenn' thought of that...I'm lovin'it!

Don't leave us hangin' too long, k?

Iel_o_Thorongil - 06 Oct 06 - 11:35 PM

Ch. 7: The Snare

and so it is revealed. very dramatic!

JunoMagic - 07 Oct 06 - 1:48 AM

Ch. 7: The Snare

I hate to sound as greedy as I am... but where is the next chapter? Wink

Very nice, once more!

laureleaf - 07 Oct 06 - 5:43 PM

Ch. 8: If All Were Told

Grin I like the way you broke everything to her...and I loved her expectation of 'reality show' trick that never came.

I know i'm greedy, but, can't wait for the next chapter!Innocent

JunoMagic - 09 Oct 06 - 10:46 AM

Ch. 8: If All Were Told

Oh, oh, oh, what a brilliant reward for a tedious day.

My favourite lines - I simply *have* to share them:

"... and she had drooled on him in her sleep. There was a glistening snail track of her saliva down his lapel. Wonderful."

That's exactly the kind of thing I love to put into my stories, too. What a great reality check. And so funny. Laugh out loud

And: "All right, he was an angel, and there was no way this was a hidden camera TV show. The coma scenario was back at the top of the list."

Tee hee hee.

And how you manage to keep it serious despite those hilarious moments is what really wins my heart!

Great job.

oshun - 09 Oct 06 - 11:00 AM

Ch. 8: If All Were Told

Jael, I'm hooked too. I like humanistic mixture of humor and seriousness. What fun.

Oshun

erunyauve - 20 Sep 07 - 11:43 AM

Ch. 8: If All Were Told

>>The world is full of the descendants of Aragorn and Arwen, and much of what is good has come from them.

Ahhhaaa.  I had to go back and read the prequel, as I'm enjoying the new story so much.

>>"As long as we have a reason for living; as long as we listen to Thranduil and don't succumb to sadness and inertia, we will not fade"

I think there's a lot of truth here.  Cirdan was older than Galadriel, yet he still seemed very much a part of the world.  The same was true of Thranduil.  Yet, to avoid fading, one must be willing to change, and Aaron Rivers has adapted himself to the present quite well.

JunoMagic - 09 Oct 06 - 11:09 AM

Ch. 9: The Sorrows of Her Changing Face

First off: this chapter needs a beverage warning. A very clearly visible, sufficiently impressive beverage warning.

Then my first real nitpick: You got the thing with the German "Tannenbaum" wrong. "Tannenbaum" means only "fir-tree". "Tanne" is "fir" and "tree" is "Baum". The word for Christmas tree in German is not "Tannenbaum" or "Tannebaum" as that well-known Christmas song suggests, but "Weihnachtsbaum". "Weihnacht" is a short form of "geweihte Nacht" - "hallowed night".

It's difficult to say what I love most about this chapter... maybe how you see love between mortals and immortals. That has always been one of the themes in my own Tolkien stories, and I visualize it much the same as you do. True love doesn't die with age or sickness in our world. Why should Elves love their mortal partners less, only because they remain young and pretty?

And then your attention to detail: the bit about Bilbo's gift is simply perfect!

Jael - 09 Oct 06 - 11:50 AM

Ch. 9: The Sorrows of Her Changing Face

Quite aware of that, I am.  For that much German I have!  This was my allusion to the fact that the Pagans were worshipping trees at the Solstice long before the Christians co-opted the custom.  My German Garndpa always called it the Tannenbaum -- but then, I suspect his religious affiliations. Wink

JunoMagic - 09 Oct 06 - 11:55 AM

Ch. 9: The Sorrows of Her Changing Face

Quite aware of that, I am.  For that much German I have!
Oh, ok! That wasn't quite clear from that scene. I rather got the impression it was intended as purely etymological explanation. My bad. Embarassed

I do love those Pagan feasts, though. Grin

Jael - 09 Oct 06 - 5:16 PM

Ch. 9: The Sorrows of Her Changing Face

Oh, nay!  'Twas my bad for not making it clearer that this was a subtle bit of sociology thrown in.  And if anyone wants my very own personal theory about why nearly all of us celebrate some kind of Solstice holiday, drop me a line offline or in Ask Jael.

There was an awful lot of personal philosophy thrown into this story -- maybe not so subtly in most cases.

I do love those Pagan feasts, though. Grin

So do I.  My very first fanfic ever (in 1982) was about a bunch of good folks celebrating Samhain.  I think the Elves celebrate Beltane too, as the little elves are mostly born in the spring.  In my universe, Galion was born in the spring, and as his Silvan father said, "It was quite a party!" Laugh out loud

laureleaf - 09 Oct 06 - 11:33 AM

Ch. 10: Go, Leaf, It's Your B-Day!

Ha! I knew it! Finally, Posey and Leaf both have a chance for real happiness...yup, so far i've enjoyed all of your stories, but this one is now one of my fanfic faves!

Boy, I bet this is gonna be a hard pill for the ex to swallow, orc that he is!

JunoMagic - 09 Oct 06 - 11:48 AM

Ch. 10: Go, Leaf, It's Your B-Day!

Tab A, Slot B. And LaCe adorably dissected. What's not to love about this chapter? Heart

Iel_o_Thorongil - 09 Oct 06 - 11:26 PM

Ch. 10: Go, Leaf, It's Your B-Day!

Well. Somehow, I had an inkling that was going to happen. It was still a bit of a shock, but there was an inkling :).

Good for Legolas. Haha!

JunoMagic - 10 Oct 06 - 2:24 PM

Ch. 11: A New Leaf

WHAT?

That can't *possibly* be the end!!!

What's with those agents, and I need to see them a year from now and I want to know if our heroine will ever and and and!!!

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!

Moriquendi + Balrog = better make that another beverage warning for this chapter! You have a really wicked sense of humour!  ROTFLMAO

Thank you. I haven't enjoyed a fanfic story about Elves as much as this one in many months. It even inspired me to post a new chapter to my own fanfic epic! Laugh out loud

oshun - 10 Oct 06 - 6:11 PM

Ch. 11: A New Leaf

Fun story. You really need to market that t-shirt: 'Moriquendi and Proud of It!'

Oshun

Jael - 10 Oct 06 - 6:18 PM

Ch. 11: A New Leaf

That can't *possibly* be the end!!!

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!

I thought it would be when I wrote this.  But let me say that this story has spawned a few plot bunnies.  We'll see . . .

Then something good came out of it!  Grin

Iel_o_Thorongil - 10 Oct 06 - 10:19 PM

Ch. 11: A New Leaf

happy ending. A lovely story to be sure. Thanks for a very enjoyable read!

erunyauve - 21 Sep 07 - 11:35 AM

Ch. 11: A New Leaf

>>"Wings?" he said with an enigmatic smile. "You don't know how long I've waited to be able to explain this! A Balrog has -- "

Chicken!

Again, wonderful use of an OC, proving that a good author can do romance without turning her character into a MarySue.  The story never strays far from the source material, and what we learn about Posie is necessary to us, as she is our eyes and ears in this world.

Kestrel - 05 Oct 07 - 7:51 PM

Ch. 11: A New Leaf

This was so much fun to read.  I'd like to work  at any one of "Randy's" companies!  Since Galion is also one of my favorites, I'm glad to see he found a happy ending.  LOL!