Comments for: Not the usual stakes

Talk to Lialathuveril

Not the usual stakes

Gwynnyd - 20 Sep 06 - 10:37 AM

LOL - well, that was interesting.  My mind is boggling more on the concept of a separate room called a 'bathroom' adjacent to the King's rooms in Meduseld than the picture of Eomer changing a diaper.  Chamberpots and tubs brought in in front of the fireplace seem a tad more likely, but... yes, 'interesting' is definitely the word for this story.

Gwynnyd

Go to Not the usual stakes

Not the usual stakes

Lialathuveril - 21 Sep 06 - 9:08 AM

Hello Gwynnyd,

thank you for your review. Since this was only a short oneshot and not meant too seriously either, I didn't really go into the details of the layout of the private rooms in Meduseld.

The way I imagine them, they would be on the southern side of the Golden Hall and not all that big. The 'bathroom' wouldn't be like our bathrooms with built-in bathtub, etc, but rather a small adjacent room with a fireplace, maybe a screen to keep off the drafts and a wooden tub that could be filled with water whenever needed.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Lia

Go to Not the usual stakes

Not the usual stakes

pv - 17 Oct 06 - 8:01 PM

Ch. 1: Not the usual stakes

I love the smiling baby and the affectionate parents - a warm, cheery story!

Go to Not the usual stakes

Not the usual stakes

Lialathuveril - 18 Oct 06 - 11:06 AM

Ch. 1: Not the usual stakes

This story actually originated in the discussion with a fellow writer what was the worst I could throw at Eomer....

Lia

Go to Not the usual stakes

Not the usual stakes

pv - 19 Oct 06 - 9:50 PM

Ch. 1: Not the usual stakes

People have different skills - some have an impressive knowledge of Tolkien facts &  some have an impressive vocabulary & writing style - but very few have the ability to make characters come alive, & you've done that!

Go to Not the usual stakes

Not the usual stakes

Lialathuveril - 20 Oct 06 - 5:06 AM

Ch. 1: Not the usual stakes

Thank you! This story is a spin-off from a much longer story that I wrote last year. In that sense I already knew the characters really well.

If you're interested in it, you can find it here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2629396/1/

It's the first story I ever wrote and I intend to publish it on this site sometime, but first I want to go over it again and 'clean it up'. Only I never seem to find the time!

Lia

Go to Not the usual stakes

Not the usual stakes

demeter d - 23 Jun 07 - 9:26 PM

Ch. 1: Not the usual stakes

Greetings!  I have not read any other of your work, yet, but after this, i will look for more.  This is delightful.  "Only for Mums,indeed, or very brave daddies with strong stomachs. The comment that he would rather be fighting uruk-hai than changing diapers reminded me of my world war two veteran father-in-law saying he would not have had the courage to brave the delivery room as his son, my husband, did.  But I am sure the harried papa found the snuggles afterward, with the clean little one AND his mama, were well worth the hazardous duty!

Go to Not the usual stakes

Not the usual stakes

Lialathuveril - 26 Jun 07 - 5:56 AM

Ch. 1: Not the usual stakes

Hello Demeter,
first of all, sorry for my late reply - unfortunately I am having a few real life issues which keep me really busy at the moment!

But I'm pleased to hear you like the story. As you can probably guess it is based on my own experiences a new mother (quite a while ago!). I can still remember using up half a pack of disposable nappies when changing my new born daughter at the hospital for the first time - her godfather who was there at the time and has children of his own nearly collapsed with laughter. At least the harrowing experience inspired me to write this piece. Grin

As for the rest of the story, I have not found the time yet to publish it here, but if you're interested you can find it here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2629396/1/

Thank you for your comment - it's much appreciated!

Lia