Comments for: The Boatbuilder

Talk to DrummerWench

The Boatbuilder

Gwynnyd - 12 Sep 06 - 9:50 PM

What a nice story!  You have a deft touch with the decription of sailing.  I hope you've done a lot of it.  Sigh.  I'm feeling very nostalgic for sailboats and want to run Cirdan down on the dock.  No such luck on the Great Lakes!

Gwynnyd

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

DrummerWench - 13 Sep 06 - 1:18 PM

Thanks, Gwynnyd!  As you know, I was a little uncertain about the whole thing!

I haven't done much sailing, though what I have is exactly as described in the story.  I also didn't mention the Dramamine Anna popped before embarking...

I got "Jack" to vet the story for sailing faux pas, and had been pestering him over the past month with small detail questions.  I think he was rather taken aback to find himself inserted in the tale!

In my personal AU, I think you can get to the Straight Road from Lake Superior.  Just sayin...

DW

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

JunoMagic - 02 Oct 06 - 12:42 AM

Ch. 1: The Boatbuilder

I love that idea! Círdan gets so little attention from fanfic writers. I'm looking forward to read more. Heart Thank you very much!

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

Adaneth - 02 Oct 06 - 4:34 AM

Ch. 1: The Boatbuilder

That was wonderful.  And I speak as a sailor as well as a writer.  You have all the little details that can only come from your own experience: the dip of the dock, the way you bring her in in light airs.

It is such a pleasure to see your alternation between mortal and Elven, modern and ancient perspective, so the seam frames the art rather than breaks it.

"Dan" is genius.  Smile

Cheers--

Adaneth

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

annarima - 02 Oct 06 - 11:37 AM

Ch. 1: The Boatbuilder

Hah! against all my expectations (I didn't expect to enjoy AU) but I really enjoyed that. Nice shifts of POV and I could feel those docks. Thanks for the story.

Annarima -new kid on the block

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

DrummerWench - 03 Oct 06 - 1:39 PM

Ch. 1: The Boatbuilder

Hi, JunoMagic,
Thanks - I'm glad you liked it!  Ummm, not sure if there's any more of this, though.  Not yet, anyway!
DW

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

DrummerWench - 03 Oct 06 - 1:39 PM

Ch. 1: The Boatbuilder

Hi, Adaneth,
Thank you for your welcome comments!  Yes, I have been out sailing several times, and I have witnessed "Chuck" bring "Abracadabra" into the slip w/o using the motor.  Also, I think Elanor has no motor - I don't think they work once you're on the Straight Road, but that's just me.
The language switch happened automatically with the POV switch; I only noticed it afterward.

DW

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

DrummerWench - 03 Oct 06 - 1:41 PM

Ch. 1: The Boatbuilder

Hi, annarima,
I'm glad the POV shifts work well - it was sort of an experiment, and I was unsure it would come together.
Thank you for reading and for commenting.  Also, Welcome to HASA!
DW

Go to The Boatbuilder

The Boatbuilder

oshun - 04 Oct 06 - 10:20 PM

Ch. 1: The Boatbuilder

Lovely--almost makes me miss the Bay Area. Used to take my kids to Angel Island for their birthdays. If I had known I might have met Círdan around those parts I might have stayed!

Oshun