Comments for: Stirring Rings

Talk to Larner

dwelf - 02 Sep 06 - 4:27 AM

I'd like to take that opportunity to thank you for all your stories. You write beautifully but most of all you wander deep in the mind all your characters and Tolkien's. It's always such a wonderfull experience to travel at your side in Middle Earth. I fell in love with your Frodo and your Sam, and the Shire as you see it, so real and yet a piece of paradise. Aragorn is not anymore a character of legends but a man of incredible proportions. Thank you a thousand times for all the time and energy you spend writing about all of them. Also congratulation for going so far, so deep, over the boundaries of the unknown of ME, in Harad with the "Lesser Rings", in Tol Eressëa, places where few dare wandering. That brings me to "Stirring Rings".

Much is unsaid of the 5 istari, and I can't tell you how excited I am to read your vision of them.

It's interesting that Finarfin and Finrod are the one asking for help for their sister/daughter, and the one starting the snowball. I would not have thought of that. But it makes sense, there are few still alive in Ennor who have relatives in the Blessed Realms, who can "plead their case" and who needs it more than Galadriel.

Why am I not surprised by Curumo's attitude? But I'm sure he had good intentions at the beginning. We have a saying : "Hell is paved with good intentions", I think it is so true, for humans, but when I look at Sauron and what he was, it is true for many others too. And pride!

I was surprised by Manwë, more by his position in fact. I always thought that there was no stated lord in Valinor, that all look up to Manwë and seek his council because he was so more knowledgable and more powerfull than the others, and afterall he heard more of the Song than anyone else but Eru. But not as a leader or lord.

Finally, isn't Olórin facinating?! I love the idea that he did not have one "field" but a more complexe nature and many interests, and loved and appreciated all things. And where we recognise your style is in those little things that reveale so much and synthesise all of their personnality: the proud Curumo, the humble Aiwendil and the faithful Olórin who in the end only asked for blessing (small and humble request but such a powerfull one).

Thanks Larner. I shall follow you in this adventure.

Aiwendiel - 02 May 09 - 7:32 PM

Ch. :

Another wonderfully rich chapter, true to the sketchy details given to us by the Professor of these turbulent times, but made real and alive, full of characters and interesting foreshadowing. I think Gandalf is going to regret having agreed to show off his fireworks, though with excellent short term benefits, in the long run.Can hardly wait for more!

Larner - 04 May 09 - 9:17 AM

Ch. :

I'm so honored you feel this way, Aiwendiel!  The final war between Angmar and Arnor appears to have been so devastating in so many ways!  We know that all took part in the defeat of the Witch-king's forces, including Hobbits.  We also know that of those who marched out to face Arnor's forces, only Bucca returned.  They must have come to have been respected in a special way by those who saw them fight and how much courage they displayed.

And the thought that much of the courage later seen in Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam was seen in their ancestors, and that Gandalf came to respect it in them and then perhaps came to wonder if it might have been merely a fluke when for generations he doesn't see it at all--that's been fun to imagine and play with!

Now, if only the next chapter doesn't prove as obdurate as those that have come before.  The ending chapters of this story are finished, btw--have been finished for a year!  Now--to get the middle chapters written!

Aiwendiel - 05 Sep 12 - 6:47 PM

I've just started re-reading your new version of this wonderful tale. And it has not yet failed to intrigue and entertain me! You do a wonderful job with the characterizations of Gandalf and Saruman, of course, but all the rest of the characters, minor, major and everything in between! And that goes doubly for your Hobbits. Thanks for this work of art in progress.

Agape4Gondor - 09 Sep 06 - 8:33 PM

Ch. 2: Debate in Valinor

Excellent beginning - I was surprised at the petitioners but found it plausible.

I also laughed - I'm always grateful for a touch of humour.

The discourse and the method you chose to distinguish between who was speaking was well-done and easily discernible. I also like each one of the characters.

Nice beginning - I'm bookmarking this to read the rest in the near future!

Aiwendiel - 01 Mar 09 - 1:47 PM

Ch. 2: Debate in Valinor

I last saw this when it was much less developed. I'm looking forward to enjoying the expanded version. This introductory chapter is intriguing, and captures the many personalities and voices of those mysterious behind the scenes powers.

Larner - 04 Mar 09 - 12:29 AM

Ch. 2: Debate in Valinor

Thank you Aiwendiel.  Believe it or not, I am working on the next chapter, but it is also coming, it seems, a few paragraphs at a time.  I HOPE to have it posted sometime in the foreseeable future!

Strange--the end has been written for quite some time--it's the middle chapters that eke their way into existence.

TariElfLady - 18 May 12 - 12:56 PM

Ch. 2: Debate in Valinor

I'm so glad I found this story and am thoroughly enjoying it.

The five Maiar have been picked.  Unfortunatley, later on  Curumo succumbs to Sauron's power even though he swore not to.  Makes him almost human.

Peregrin_Ionad - 31 Aug 06 - 3:46 AM

Ch. 3: Marching Orders

ooohhh, very nice, and in deed refreshingly different from all I have read this summer!

Peregrin-Ionad

Larner - 03 Oct 06 - 5:20 PM

Ch. 3: Marching Orders

Your response itself is refreshing, Peregrin_Tonad.  This will be a bit slower in coming than many of my stories, and I hope you find it worth waiting for.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but the computer's been having difficulties, still.  I HATE hackers.

TariElfLady - 22 May 12 - 10:49 AM

Ch. 3: Marching Orders

Curumo's thirst for power and his arrogance manifest themselves already.  Vaire had a premonition of what was to come but could not alter the future.  Olorin is definetely the wiser of the two.

Aiwendiel - 05 Mar 09 - 4:59 PM

Ch. 6: Journey Begun

Full of wonderful and chilling forboding. I am reading on in anticipation! (And referring frequently to my appendices...)

Larner - 07 Mar 09 - 10:54 PM

Ch. 6: Journey Begun

Oh, thanks so very much, Aiwendiel.  And you, too, are referring frequently to the Appendices?  I'm sitting here with Appendices, Sil, and UT open so much of the time!  Heh!

curiouswombat - 02 Mar 12 - 11:14 AM

Ch. 7: Arrivals

I have kept this until end of work on Friday as a treat to look forward to - and how right I was.

Saruman who is so full of his own importance and superiority to all those around him that he causes the heir of Cardolan to be murdered (and even benefits from the attack), is all too believable.  Then comes Radagast, who accepted the remit in trepidation but is already beginning to love this land...

The brothers who will ride off the edge of the map, and beyond the story,  are still given personalities and individuality.  And so we come to Olorin - and the tale of his joining the Istari, his journey so far - all is so well written.

I look forward to seeing what the Eldest makes of this latest arrival.

Aiwendiel - 13 Apr 09 - 10:41 AM

Ch. 9: The Coming of the Periannath

Very intriguing and satisfying explanation of the origins of hobbits in general and one line of them in particular...and a nice coincidental meeting between the Grey Wanderer and the ancestor (one must assume) of some very important future characters! I am fascinated and very much engaged in your history of the Five Wizards, perfectly accented by small well crafted vignettes. Thank you for this. Aiwendiel

TariElfLady - 08 Jun 12 - 11:01 AM

Ch. 9: The Coming of the Periannath

What fascinating history of the Hobbits.  So this is how Gandalf and Bilbo may have met.  Well done.

Aiwendiel - 14 Apr 09 - 6:31 AM

Ch. 13: The Taste of the Enemy

Another well-woven chapter, full of rich details and very believable explanations for the twin tragedies of the Kin-Strife and the plagues of Gondor... and the actions (intended and unintended--or perhaps careful and careless would be a better way to put it) behind the scenes of a couple of wizards. I'm totally hooked.
A

Snerg Delarue - 01 Jan 07 - 11:08 PM

Ch. 14: The Granting of the Shire

I am very favorably impressed both by your work on the very early history of the Hobbits in the West and by your clever, understated description of how the names and naming-systems evolved in the earliest families.  I think that if you published the family trees it would be of interest.

Iel_o_Thorongil - 04 Feb 07 - 4:11 PM

Ch. 17: Fireworks and Protocol

Love the update. This is one of my four favorite stories to read and I was pleasantly surprised to find this update. Thanks!

Larner - 12 Feb 07 - 11:36 PM

Ch. 17: Fireworks and Protocol

I'm so glad you appreciate this, and to hear it's one of your favorites is wonderful.  Thank you!

I've had recurrent technical difficulties lasting so long I'm about to despair of ever getting back onto a regular posting basis; and trying to keep two ongoing sagas going makes it slower writing each chapter.  But I find looking at how differently Curumo and Olorin developed once they came to Middle Earth fascinating.  I hope to get another chapter posted within the next week.

Aiwendiel - 15 Oct 12 - 11:12 AM

Ch. 19: Fighting Fire With Fire

Ah! Working in a little medical history, Larner! A tribute to Edward Jenner. Many thanks for another intriguing chapter in a fine series...

curiouswombat - 07 Jun 12 - 11:26 AM

Ch. 20: Wainriders

This is really just a note to say how much I am enjoying this detailed look at the history of Middle Earth from a slightly unusual perspective.

Aiwendiel - 15 Oct 12 - 3:38 PM

Ch. 23: A Crown in Question

You portray the suffering brought on by the all too human attribute of pride. One powerful man who feels slighted and hurt can do so much damage... Oh, that it were not still the truth in our world today... Nice work.

Freyalyn - 12 Dec 07 - 12:42 AM

Ch. 24: The Deep Breath Before the Plunge

Lovely detail and characterisation, as ever.

'Troops' not 'troupes'.  Sorry....

Very dark feeling to it, even with the hobbit episodes.  The lights are going out.

Larner - 13 Dec 07 - 3:16 AM

Ch. 24: The Deep Breath Before the Plunge

Unfortunately, within a relatively short time there will be a kingdom with no king in the south, and a king with no kingdom in the north; Arvedui will be dead alongside his second son; and his older son and widow will be taking refuge in Mithlond.  Yes, the lights are going out.

As for "troupes"--it is a variant spelling and the one I've used predominantly in my writing.  Hope you don't mind too much.

Aiwendiel - 17 Oct 12 - 7:02 AM

Ch. 29: Terror Released

I am finding it so interesting how you are weaving the many pre-Ring war events of the IIIrd age into one tale--so many important moments (like this chapter in which Dwarves delve too deeply) but previously only appeared as footnotes in an appendix or the barest outline of an unfinished tale. And through all of it you link the "stirring rings" of various kinds and tales of the Istari -- especially one of them. I find myself smiling at the idea that our dear Gandalf manages, not unlike Forrest Gump, to be just off center of the action time and time again, sometimes on purpose, sometimes "by chance" if such a thing as "chance" exists in Middle Earth. I continue to be very intrigued and eagerly look forward to more chapters!

Aiwendiel - 17 Oct 12 - 7:23 AM

Ch. 31: Kingless is Crown

Mmm.. nice... I've always wanted a tale of Mithrellas, and you've given us a beautiful one. And of course, Forrest Gump -- I mean Gandalf -- shows up too...

Aiwendiel - 17 Oct 12 - 7:41 AM

Ch. 32: Seeking to Answer Questions of Identity

Fabulous chapter!

Aiwendiel - 17 Oct 12 - 8:07 AM

Ch. 33: The Watchful Peace

Dear Larner, I am particularly enjoying all the foreshadowing you work into this tale. This chapter is truly an excellent example of that! Well done!

Aiwendiel - 07 Dec 12 - 6:50 PM

Ch. 34: The Return of the Shadow

Chilling interlocking tales from the end of the Watchful Peace. I am so glad that you found a way to account for all the Five, dark though your story of Pallando turns out. And of course, the threads of fate begin to weave together more tightly now, and we are introduced to a familiar and cunning character who will have so many crucial parts to play in the future. I really like his grandmother -- wise and powerful and just like he ultimately describes her! Another fine chapter.

Aiwendiel - 07 Dec 12 - 7:01 PM

Ch. 35: Galadriel Calls for a Council

Shivering with the building dread!