Comments for: No Man's Child

Talk to Anoriath

Gandalfs apprentice - 08 Aug 06 - 9:37 AM

Anoriath: This is a hauntingly beautiful and lyrically sad piece, although I hope there may be some moments of joy before the end. Your characterization is vivid and deft. Your AU is, of course, an all-too-likely one--what would happen if Aragorn's death looked imminent, and he had no heir? My heart bleeds for all the major characters here. Thank you! I will follow your story avidly.

Anoriath - 08 Aug 06 - 4:06 PM

Hey there, Gandalf's apprentice!

I am honored. Thank you for your kind comments, and so eloquently expressed, too. They made my day.

~Anoriath (aka Silli Marilli)

Anoriath - 18 Aug 06 - 3:46 AM

<i>What a well-wrought scene! The heroine's courage and decency come through in her actions, as does Aragorn's sorrow and conflict. Such a sad story</i>

Thanks for your kind words, Gandalf's Apprentice!

Tolkien seems to idealize romantic love, and while I enjoy that, I also wonder at the other side of life that lurked unexplored in his writing.  With the political structure of ME that he built, there had to have been arranged marriages, and I can't imagine that the sacrifice that made them necessary was always easy.

Gwynnyd - 06 Sep 06 - 12:55 PM

Ahem! Well, that was quite nice. I look forward very much to new chapters.

No, that does not do it justice.

That was WONDERFUL! New chapters? Now, please? Please, please, pretty please???

One really tiny quibble. I know natural dyers. They give me madder to grow for them and assure me they will come for the roots in oh, five or ten or, yeah, probably better to wait fifteen years. No dyer would expect to get a good dye of out one summer's growth.

Anoriath - 06 Sep 06 - 5:41 PM

That was WONDERFUL!

Awwww! *blush* Thanks, Gwynnyd!

New chapters? Now, please? Please, please, pretty please???

*huffpuffhuff* *clicketyclick* *baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackspace* *groan* What IS that word? *click?* nope *clickclacketyclickCLACK* ugh... even worse.

Workin' on it. ;)

Wow... didn't know that. Good! Good! I've dabbled in fiber arts just enough to know the jargon and have a tactile-kinesthetic sense of it, but I lack that kind of depth of experience that you're talking about. Thanks for the heads-up. And, certainly, if you see anything else like that that jars, please let me know!

Thanks again, Gwynnyd! I'm tickled you're reading and enjoying the story.

Petunia Uphill - 22 Sep 06 - 12:33 PM

I find this story most delightful. I have often pondered how things might have turned out had Aragorn made the choice he made in this story, though I never could have made my imaginings such a living picture as you have done here.

The first person narrative suits the story and style perfectly, and the old-style language is like icing on the cake. Not many can make it just the right blend, but you appear to be one of those blessed with genuine skill.

I shall wait for the continuation eagerly.

Anoriath - 23 Sep 06 - 5:25 AM

Thanks Ms. Uphill. It took a long time to get that "voice" clear in my head. But now it's there, I can't get rid of it so easily. Rather plays havoc with my professional writing. ;)

Thanks, again!

Gwynnyd - 11 Oct 06 - 7:07 AM

Brava!  I don't manage to comment on every chapter, but I want to let you know that I am avidly reading along and enjoying this immensely. This is one of the best, if not the best, depiction of life for the regular Rangers of the North I have ever read.  Your Aragorn is not quite how I envision him, but I can definitely see him as someone who is capable of being a king when the need arises.  And your love interest is so very much a complete and real person that she comes alive.

Fantastic job!

Anoriath - 11 Oct 06 - 6:07 PM

... I want to let you know that I am avidly reading along and enjoying this immensely. This is one of the best, if not the best, depiction of life for the regular Rangers of the North I have ever read.

Hee! Thanks Gwynnyd!

Yes, that is rather the danger of fleshing out a character who is so well-loved, but is almost more of a symbol and a myth in the original story. I'm moving him more out of myth and trying to ground him in reality. (eek! You mean he's actually carrying a FUNCTIONAL sword and no longer qualifies as a warrior-monk?? Grin)

I must confess, the more I flesh Aragorn out - put him in situations in which we did not get the chance to see him in LOTR - the more my own view of him changes. I'm glad you're not finding the differences in our visions of him too disconcerting.

Good! Thanks! It's been very reassuring to hear things like that. I was terribly worried that I wouldn't be able to create an OFC who could stand up to interacting Aragorn's character and still capture the imagination and empathy of the reader.

Thanks again!

ratcreature - 01 Feb 11 - 2:56 PM

I enjoyed this a lot, even though it is unfinished and likely abandoned by now. (Not that I would mind miraculous updates years later...)

But as the WIP stands I still enjoyed the OFC, and seeing a version of how everyday life might have been against the backdrop of the increasingly dire situation before the ring war. The AU premise was also quite credible, that Aragorn might have bowed to the pressure to continue his line, even though he still loves Arwen.

Gandalfs apprentice - 17 Aug 06 - 4:50 AM

Ch. 8: Chapter 7

Anoriath

What a well-wrought scene! The heroine's courage and decency come through in her actions, as does Aragorn's sorrow and conflict. Such a sad story...I'm wondering how you plan to resolve this heartbreaking situation.

Gandalfs apprentice - 22 Aug 06 - 8:36 AM

Ch. 10: Chapter 9

Your rendering of life in the Angle is carefully wrought and clearly very well researched. Yet again you have described a scene that is on the surface about every day matters--such as would be the concern of a woman like this Dunedain wife--but the emotion underneath is intense. It seems to me that the wife is faling in love with her lord, but she is well aware that the feeling is not returned. Is she going to find out why? And how are you going to resolve this problem? Who will be Queen of Gondor and Arnor?

Anoriath - 22 Aug 06 - 2:27 PM

Ch. 10: Chapter 9

Thanks GA.  Doing the research was a pleasure, if a rather intense experience.  For everything new I read it generated a ton of ideas for the story.  LOL!  I barely knew where to focus.

LOL!  *is tempted to answer*  Weeeeellllllll....... nope.  :oD

Very good questions and ones I promise to answer... at some point.

~ Silli

Gandalfs apprentice - 26 Aug 06 - 8:58 AM

Ch. 12: Chapter 11

Another carefully wrought portrait of life in the Angle, full of meticulous research and amply described through the conversation between the two women. Of course, my attention is riveted on the solution of the wife's central problem--her lord's reluctance.

I think there is a typo toward the end where she refers to "wanders" instead of "wanderers."

Looking forward to more!

Anoriath - 26 Aug 06 - 10:25 AM

Ch. 12: Chapter 11

*blink* Funny how the words blur together when you look at them for so long. Ah, found them! There were 2 instances. Thanks for the heads-up, GA.

Yeah, it's a pretty tricky line between including enough detail to bring a place and scene to life and overwhelming the reader with an intellectualized account. I try to stay away from too much detail (ala the accounts of hydrodynamics in A Perfect Storm or the differences between a mizenmast and, well, about every other piece of hardware on a fighting vessel in Master and Commander).

But, in this chapter, I wanted to create in the reader an experience of just how overwhelming the task of managing a village that is bursting at the seams would be - and how important it is that Nienelen make allies among the folk of the Angle. No way to accomplish anything on her own.

LOL! Good! Hopefully the denial of immediate gratification makes you want to turn the page to the next chapter rather than just annoying the heck out of you. ;o)

Gandalfs apprentice - 29 Aug 06 - 5:33 AM

Ch. 13: Chapter 12

Hello, Anoriath

Very moving. My heart aches for both of them. Your Aragorn is one of the finest I've read. I have to say, though, that I saw an extension of this scene at another site. You have left out the good part. Why?

Toward the beginning you have "team" when you mean "teem."

Anoriath - 29 Aug 06 - 8:04 AM

Ch. 13: Chapter 12

Toward the beginning you have "team" when you mean "teem."

Got it. Thanks for your eagle eyes, GA!

Your Aragorn is one of the finest I've read.

Ah, what a lovely compliment. Thank you!

You have left out the good part. Why?

Oh, lots of little reasons, none of which amount to much individually but together convinced me to post the excerpt separately.

Partly, my homebase is an archive that maintains a PG-13 cap. Not that we don't write or share harder scenes, we just don't put them in the archive because of having teen members. And then, I also wanted to write a story that a wider range of people could read. I know a few teens whose parents only allow them to read G to PG-13 rated material and have a few adult friends who stick to that level, too.

And, finally, and probably the real reason, it's the only scene like it in the whole story. From a plot POV, it would release the building tension far far too early in the proceedings. I'm relying pretty heavily on just that tension to propel the reader forward in the story.

So, although I joked about rationalizing the reason for writing this chapter more explicitly, in truth, it really was the reason why I wrote it. I felt like I needed to know more about their first encounter to fully grasp the unspoken dynamics of their relationship. Most times I have a pretty good idea what I want from a scene, but I never really know how a scene is going to develop until I sit down and start pecking at the keyboard. Often, I get a bug and the scene takes off somewhere unexpected. Sometimes I know it's just right, and sometimes I know it's just plain wrong. But, I never really know what it's going to be until I get there.

oshun - 03 Sep 06 - 8:07 AM

Ch. 13: Chapter 12

This story is breaking my heart! It is so thoughtfully written--the quiet restraint is overwhelming. Being the curious, greedy, undisciplined sort that I am, I had to find the "missing" appendix to this chapter that G.A. referred to in an earlier comment. It is as lovely as the rest. But you are right--it is not absolutely necessary to convey what you wish in this chapter. Your portrayal of Aragorn, the Angle and the Rangers (especially Halbarad) is convincing.

Anoriath - 03 Sep 06 - 9:04 AM

Ch. 13: Chapter 12

Being the curious, greedy, undisciplined sort that I am, I had to find the "missing" appendix to this chapter

LOL!

Good! I'm glad it's coming across as restrained. My writing sins tend toward melodrama and purple prose. I've been working on balancing my desire for deep feeling and a kind of magical quality to the beauty that can be found around us with a sparer prose... at some times more successfully than others.

Thanks Oshun, both for reading and your kind words!

Gandalfs apprentice - 31 Aug 06 - 8:40 AM

Ch. 14: Chapter 13

You write the best tales about the women of Middle-earth that I have read. It's hard to carry off, but you have successfully blended Tolkien and historical research.

I'm dying to know what it was that Aragorn's wife whispered in the bride's ear.

Anoriath - 31 Aug 06 - 5:19 PM

Ch. 14: Chapter 13

You write the best tales about the women of Middle-earth

Thanks, GA!

I wanted to take a look at courage and honor that was more traditionally feminine in nature. A quest that turns inward, if you will, instead of looking out upon the wider world.

I'm dying to know what it was that Aragorn's wife whispered in the bride's ear.

*g* I could tell you, but it wouldn't be nearly so fun as you getting the chance to speculate.

Gandalfs apprentice - 05 Sep 06 - 4:23 AM

Ch. 16: Chapter 15

You are winning me over to this marriage. She is in love with him, even if she doesn't know it (but I think she does). The question is, what's in Aragorn's mind?

A beautiful chapter. I'm so impressed with the meaning you can put into everyday events and the beauty of your writing.

Anoriath - 05 Sep 06 - 6:32 PM

Ch. 16: Chapter 15

You are winning me over to this marriage.

Kewl! *g*

Thanks, GA!  I seem to find inspiration in the tension of opposites:  fear and courage, distance and intimacy, what's declared and the subtext beneath it.

Gandalfs apprentice - 09 Sep 06 - 7:32 AM

Ch. 18: Chapter 17

Good move, Aragorn! He said earlier in the story he didn't wish her to act like just another servant, and now he is acting on that, at least as far as the politics of the Angle are concerned. The heart, however, is another matter.....

Anoriath - 09 Sep 06 - 9:55 AM

Ch. 18: Chapter 17

Good move, Aragorn!

Yes, wouldn't you just love to have him as a mentor?

The heart, however, is another matter.....

Too true.

Thanks GA!

Gandalfs apprentice - 16 Sep 06 - 5:58 AM

Ch. 21: Chapter 20

Anoriath:

Again, beautiful and sad. You are a very gifted writer. Your use of the mythology here--Huan and Beren--is so well done, I am in awe.

One niggly thing: Missing a word in "How do find Halbarad?"

Anoriath - 16 Sep 06 - 12:14 PM

Ch. 21: Chapter 20

One niggly thing: Missing a word in "How do find Halbarad?"

LOL! *face-palm* You have no idea how many times I read that passage... and still didn't pick up on that. Funny how our brains work. I hear that professional proof-readers read the material backwards. With good reason, I suppose, but it sounds like rather a tortured experience.

Your use of the mythology here--Huan and Beren--is so well done

Thanks, GA. The parallels begged to be brought to life. :o)

Dwimordene - 23 Jun 07 - 9:38 PM

Ch. 21: Chapter 20

It is a chaste kiss, rich in affection and dismissal.

Gently slips the rhetorical knife in, and then there comes the fatal twist at the end. I wouldn't be Nienelen for the world.

Dwim

Anoriath - 24 Jun 07 - 8:01 AM

Ch. 21: Chapter 20

Dwim

No, not a comfortable position at all, but one full of compromises that pit the heart against the head.  That tension has so much potential in it to explore human relationships and character development.

I'm so tickled you're reading, particularly as it was this passage:

"I have been asked if there was no one at all that I would get a child on, in or out of marriage."

and

"Gilraen never remarried, nor shall she ever: she loved my father so. And though for long I knew nothing more of Arathorn than that, have you any idea of what that means to a lad? I would be to the mother of my children what my father was to my mother, and I cannot see myself as able to do that if it is a union, or even a marriage, only in order to get heirs."

that bit me about the ankles and made me write No Man's Child.  I don't suppose it sounds familiar, does it? :D

Thanks Dwim.

Gandalfs apprentice - 19 Sep 06 - 2:40 PM

Ch. 22: Chapter 21

Is Aragorn's heart beginning to melt? Your portrayal of him here is perhaps the very best in the story so far. You show the leadership and the warmth as well as the conflict.

Anoriath - 19 Sep 06 - 7:10 PM

Ch. 22: Chapter 21

You show the leadership and the warmth as well as the conflict.

Thanks, GA! I'm glad you're enjoying him. It's been kinda nice to have a guy like him hanging about in my head.

Gandalfs apprentice - 21 Sep 06 - 8:32 AM

Ch. 23: Chapter 22

That's a daring move at the end, Anoriath, moving out of your character's POV for the scene with Aragorn and the old man. But it works! Well done! Beautiful chapter.

Anoriath - 21 Sep 06 - 8:02 PM

Ch. 23: Chapter 22

Hey there, GA.

Thanks! Good, I'm glad it works. It was a bit of a risk.

Gandalfs apprentice - 28 Sep 06 - 8:42 AM

Ch. 26: Chapter 25

She will show him instead, eh?  Wonderful mix of politics and love, here. Aragorn is teaching her to be a great lady--or a queen?

Anoriath - 28 Sep 06 - 5:33 PM

Ch. 26: Chapter 25

She will show him instead, eh?

LOL! Yes, she's being just a tad coy.

Aragorn is teaching her to be a great lady--or a queen?

*g*

Thanks GA!

Gandalfs apprentice - 03 Oct 06 - 9:25 AM

Ch. 28: Chapter 27

For the first half I was thinking that all the details dragged, but you ended the chapter with such punch that I eschew all criticism.

Well, he doesn't love her, but he treats her very well. Still, so sad, for both of them. And Arwen too. At least one heart is to be broken here. I really can't see you working out a "happy" ending in that way, although there must be a resolution of sorts.

Anoriath - 03 Oct 06 - 4:21 PM

Ch. 28: Chapter 27

For the first half I was thinking that all the details dragged

Hmmm... I'll have to take a look at it, then. Thanks for the feedback! Sometimes I become too enamored with the idea of something (like the politics of a hallmoot) and indulge myself just a little too much.

I've got enough focus on individuals to give it life and energy, I think.  But, to balance it out, I'm sure some of the details could be wittled down to tighten the chapter up a bit. Just because meetings of that nature probably had their share of tedium doesn't necessarily mean I need to induce it in the reader. ;D

you ended the chapter with such punch

Thanks, GA!

I wasn't so sure how that idea would be received. I'm introducing something from the real world that Tolkien didn't mention as being a part of Me culture.  But, neither did he state it wasn't and I wanted to create some uncertainty. Adding that idea helps increase the range of possible endings and I'm hoping to keep the reader guessing as long as I can.

Well, he doesn't love her, but he treats her very well.

Yeaaaah. A truly honorable man. *wibble*

Thanks again!

Gandalfs apprentice - 10 Oct 06 - 4:40 AM

Ch. 31: Chapter 30

Beautifully done, and very moving. Edainion, eh? Well, one of my questions has been answered....

You've got a typo, "should," where Aragorn first brings in the cloth and the herbs.

Anoriath - 11 Oct 06 - 4:48 AM

Ch. 31: Chapter 30

Beautifully done, and very moving.

Thanks, GA.  It was actually a difficult chapter to write.

Edainion, eh? Well, one of my questions has been answered...

*chuckle*

Ah!  There it is.  Got it.

Thanks again, GA!

Gandalfs apprentice - 12 Oct 06 - 7:24 AM

Ch. 32: Chapter 31

This is as close to "domestic bliss" as you've allowed your story to get, so far.

A question: shouldn't Edainion have one of those Ar(a) names? If not, we need a reason why.

And Roheryn--Tolkien says he was called so because he was a gift from Arwen. The nature of Aragorn's relationship with the daughter of Elrond is still an unanswered question for this reader--so are you AU on Roheryn, or is he named that for Nienelen (AKA "lady") or is Aragorn running around with Arwen behind his wife's back? Inquiring minds want to know.

How close to the War of the Ring are we now? I'm interested in how old the kid will be at that time....and whether Arwen is in Rivendell at this point in the story.

You need to adjust the quotemarks on the bedtime story she tells Edainion. Lose the endquote at the end of each paragraph, until the very end.

Anoriath - 12 Oct 06 - 5:07 PM

Ch. 32: Chapter 31

There is a reason why, but, like many of the questions raised by the story, you'll have to wait for the answer. Grin You'll notice about 3.5 arcs in this story. We've just completed one arc, and this and the last couple chapters are busy setting up the tension of unanswered issues and questions for the next arc.

That just seems so, well, odd, to me, but you're exactly right. What a bizarre little bit of grammar funkiness.

And Roheryn--Tolkien says he was called so because he was a gift from Arwen.

*sigh* Yeah, unfortunately I forgot about this until another astute reader brought it to my attention. I've been struggling with what to do about. Actually, I think I'm going to post more about it on my story forum, cuz, if you're willing, I could use some feedback/help on it.

Thanks GA!

Gandalfs apprentice - 17 Oct 06 - 8:35 AM

Ch. 34: Chapter 33

A delightful chapter, with a sad foreshadowing at the end. I love seeing Aragorn with his son.

Toward the beginning, "proceed" should be precede?

Anoriath - 17 Oct 06 - 8:03 PM

Ch. 34: Chapter 33

Yes!  Aragorn was so stern and yet loving and solicitous of the young hobbits I can only imagine that he would have made a very good father, once he figured it out.  :)

Toward the beginning, "proceed" should be precede?

Ah, and yes it should be "precede."  Thanks for catching that.

Thanks again, GA.

IVIaedhros - 18 Oct 06 - 7:24 AM

Ch. 34: Chapter 33

As always, very impressive.  Your ability to create realistic domestic scenes and visualize what Aragorn's life might have been like without the Evenstar as his love is awesome.  If I have a complaint, it's that you spend almost too much time sketching out the everyday.  A little tension and crisis thrown in a different points would help IMO...and I'm not necessarily talking about their house being attacked by the wraiths either, say Nienelen gives Aragorn a scare by becoming extremely sick and he is forced to examine his feelings for her.

Anoriath - 19 Oct 06 - 4:56 PM

Ch. 34: Chapter 33

Thanks  IVIaedhros.  Smile  (btw: That's certainly a creative way to get around the name already being taken.)

Ah, yes, it's always a challenge to keep up the tension but not let it bleed power from your climax.  Thanks for your feedback.  I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Iel_o_Thorongil - 19 Oct 06 - 11:30 PM

Ch. 35: Chapter 34

She's quite an amazing woman.

Anoriath - 21 Oct 06 - 9:49 AM

Ch. 35: Chapter 34

She's quite an amazing woman.

Thanks,  Iel_o_Thorongil.  Smile It's a bit of a challenge to create a woman who is heroic in her own way, but whose heroism doesn't put her beyond the reach of the credible.  I suppose we'll see if I've been successful at achieving a good balance once we reach the end.

Thanks for reading!

~Sillii

Gandalfs apprentice - 24 Oct 06 - 3:21 PM

Ch. 37: Chapter 36

The guarding of the Shire is causing big trouble, I see. Eager for more....

Anoriath - 24 Oct 06 - 7:41 PM

Ch. 37: Chapter 36

The guarding of the Shire is causing big trouble, I see.

Yeah, I just couldn't write about a community in the North and not give somebody that voice.

Thanks GA!

(tippity-typpety, baaaackspace, tappity)

Gandalfs apprentice - 26 Oct 06 - 7:25 AM

Ch. 38: Chapter 37

What beautiful writing, what a beautiful scene! Sorry to be so coarse after your eloquence, but this PAF is happy. And of course I am wondering, wondering...what about Arwen?

Something wrong here:

The reeds squeak as they rub one tother but soon my lord has lifted them from me.

We shall see once our son has visited the wrath of ever heir of Elendil, from Isildur to your father, upon you.

Anoriath - 26 Oct 06 - 4:36 PM

Ch. 38: Chapter 37

Thanks GA! I'm glad you liked it.

I'll take a look at the spots you highlighted. Maybe some rephrasing or comma-moving.

this PAF is happy.

*blink* PAF. PAF? Hmmm, must be a blogging term I don't know. *googles*

"Pakistan Air Force" Uh.. no.

"Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation?" Most likely not.

And my personal favorite: "Punk A?? Fraggers" *snork* Probably not, but shall leave it as an option.

No! No! Wait! I think I've got it. It doesn't mean "Perverted Aragorn Fan" does it? Laugh out loud

Thanks again!

Gandalfs apprentice - 28 Oct 06 - 10:24 AM

Ch. 39: Chapter 38

On the hunt for Gollum, eh?

Your story just gets better and better. Neinelen's acceptance of her "unloved" status (at least in the way she wants to be loved--I do believe he cares deeply about her, but that is not at all the same thing) is SO sad. And what is going to happen to Edainion? You've made him so endearing.

Eventually, I suppose, we will find out something about what's been going on in Rivendell all this time.

Anoriath - 28 Oct 06 - 5:14 PM

Ch. 39: Chapter 38

Yeah.  I think that's a fairly universal experience, to struggle with the desire to be loved in a way that is not forthcoming.  The fantasy of "what might be" can be so compelling.

As for your questions:

Well, I have to confess --

*employs massive amounts of restraint*

Phew!  That was close!  Wink

Thanks GA!

Iel_o_Thorongil - 28 Oct 06 - 10:01 PM

Ch. 39: Chapter 38

This woman knows such love as I have never seen. Thank you for the update. It is beautiful.

Anoriath - 29 Oct 06 - 7:42 AM

Ch. 39: Chapter 38

Thanks, Iel_o_Thorongil.  I'm pleased you're enjoying it.  Smile

Gandalfs apprentice - 07 Nov 06 - 9:01 PM

Ch. 42: Chapter 41

You have done a great job of melding the bigger tension with the personal here. The mood is getting very dark! Can't wait for more....

Anoriath - 08 Nov 06 - 4:50 AM

Ch. 42: Chapter 41

You have done a great job of melding the bigger tension with the personal here.

Good! :) I'm glad you 're finding it so.

Can't wait for more....

I'm afraid my posting is going to be a bit more erratic since we've moved through the "inspiration" phase of writing, onto the "perspiration," and now we've gotten to the "heavy sweating" phase of writing. Wink

Thanks GA!

Gwynnyd - 08 Nov 06 - 6:02 AM

Ch. 42: Chapter 41

Oh, no!

Stop whatever else you doing and keep writing! Don't leave us hanging here for too long. Months in labor would be no fun at all. :-(

Gwynnyd

Anoriath - 08 Nov 06 - 4:50 PM

Ch. 42: Chapter 41

*snork*

LOL!  I've gotten to the point that I feel like my life has become divided into parts:  1)  writing and 2) not writing.  Unfortunately, part #2 involves things like earning money and, well, breathing.  Grin

Thanks Gwynnyd!

Gwynnyd - 22 Jan 07 - 9:31 PM

Ch. 44: Chapter 43

And I was thinking to myself only yesterday.. gee, there hasn't been an update in awhile!

A quiet chapter that hints of several new developments.  Sigh.  I suppose I can't hope for starlting revelations and thrilling action, or at least a visit from Aragorn, in every one, can I?

Poor Nienelen!  So many worries.

Gwynnyd

Gandalfs apprentice - 22 Jan 07 - 11:01 PM

Ch. 44: Chapter 43

A chapter begging for an early update! Please don't keep us waiting so long again! What will happen to Edainion, and when will Arwen appear in the story....well, you know all my questions!

You're missing a cap T in the first paragraph.

Anoriath - 23 Jan 07 - 6:10 PM

Ch. 44: Chapter 43

A quiet chapter that hints of several new developments. Sigh. I suppose I can't hope for starlting revelations and thrilling action, or at least a visit from Aragorn, in every one, can I?

Ah, well, this seems to be the same I reason I struggled so much with this chapter and thus why it took so long. It's akin to the sophomoritis of middle movie/book in a trilogy. Lots of story arc building... not a whole lot of climatic action.

Lots of hair-pulling when writing this one. "NOTHing is HAPPening! I am SICK to death of meaningful looks! O.M.G. This. is. THE. most. putrid stuff. I have. EVER. written." *Lather-rinse-repeat* :D

Hopefully it's not just me who finds the writing experience an inherently bipolar one.

Thanks Gwynnyd!

Anoriath - 23 Jan 07 - 6:18 PM

Ch. 44: Chapter 43

Yes, I honestly really regret that. I would stare and STARE at that chapter until it got to the point I just couldn't stand looking at it anymore. bleh.

LOL! Well, good, that means you're still interested in having them answered. :)

Got the tweak. Thanks, GA!

Gwynnyd - 18 Apr 07 - 7:18 AM

Ch. 45: Chapter 44

Ooof! Exciting chapter! So much is happening. I am extremely curious as to what she hopes to accomplish by riding out to the fires. Those must be orcs firing the granaries/farms, and it would be the best part of discretion to stay behind. Arrgh. cliffhangers!

Gwynnyd