Comments for: Theme and Variations

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

Theme and Variations

Ti'ana Luthien - 28 May 06 - 2:15 PM

Oh, this was a delight to read from beginning to end. You've done a marvelous job of getting Faramir past all his baggage - and without having him succumb to angsty-ness! I have nothing against Faramir angst, but I don't think the man was constantly posessed of dark thoughts.

I loved the whole Jane Austen angle (huuuuuuge JA fan, here); it made me giggle and yet annoyed the heck out of me, as such gossipping always does.

I loved the image of an "uncivilized" Aragorn - exactly the way I picture it, I must say; and I think he would  have continued to be something a trial to the staff even once more accustomed to life - and the drinking/smoking scene was, quite honestly, one of my favourite parts.

I really can't say it enough...I loved this story. And if you decide to continue in this vein, then I'll be waiting along with everyone else.

Cheers,

Ti

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

Gandalfs apprentice - 29 May 06 - 9:30 PM

Hello, Ti'ana Luthien

So glad you enjoyed "Theme and Variations"--one of my purposes in writing it was to attempt to give a lighter touch to this often so angsty, difficult period in Faramir's life while at the same time remaining true to the story. Putting some comic characters in the Steward's family a la Jane Austen proved to be the best route! And thanks for adding your recommendation!

Gandalfs apprentice

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

Tyleet - 19 Feb 08 - 6:32 PM

I really like this! It has an almost Austenian feel to it--Morwen is a dead ringer for Pride & Prejudice's Mrs. Bennet. And I love Faramir's somewhat easygoing narration--it worked very well.

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

illereyn - 19 May 08 - 4:43 AM

Hey Gandalf's Apprentice!
This is a really wonderful story - I enjoyed watching Faramir's relationship with Aragorn grow - and the sisters are a real treat!

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

Raksha The Demon - 01 Dec 05 - 9:53 PM

Ch. 1: Theme and Variations

I enjoyed this story.  I'm always intrigued by stories that pay attention to Faramir, and his relationship with Aragorn, and this one was no disappointment.  Loved Faramir's two aunts - the concept of a sister who was too much for Denethor is quite scary.  Thankfully Morwen seemed to have enough sense not to personally pester the new King once she'd met him.

I loved Aragorn's overtures of friendship to Faramir, and his memory of Ecthelion.  I've also thought that Aragorn and Faramir would become fathers around the same time, and raise children who would be friends - this would also help forge a powerful bond between Arwen and Eowyn.  (that and horses; I keep seeing them racing horses around the Pelennor when Minas Tirith gets a bit too stifling)

I'd like to see some encounters between Faramir's aunts and Eowyn, perhaps Arwen as well.

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

Gandalfs apprentice - 02 Dec 05 - 8:49 AM

Ch. 1: Theme and Variations

Hi, Raksha: Thanks for reading my story and leaving a comment. The challenge here was to write about Faramir coming to terms with all the baggage he has, through no fault of his own, in dealing with Aragorn. I wanted to do it without getting dark and angst-y.

I, too, see Arwen and Eowyn galloping over the plains...

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

oshun - 03 Dec 05 - 3:10 PM

Ch. 1: Theme and Variations

I loved it. I have always been a Jane Austin fan and it was a delight to read the gossip and speculation and find it all ring so true. I know you are involved in other works, but was disappointed that this is all there will be. I do so agree with Raksha's comments on wanting more.

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

DrummerWench - 05 Dec 05 - 9:23 PM

Ch. 1: Theme and Variations

Comedy of Manners!  My second-favorite genre!

Fantasy of Manners - the combination of both favorites - there's far too little of it.  I thoroughly enjoyed your tale.  If you continue in this vein, I'll be delighted.

DrummerGirl

Go to Theme and Variations

Theme and Variations

Beleth - 11 Feb 08 - 6:33 PM

Ch. 1: Theme and Variations

Hi GA! Sorry, if I took awhile to come to this story!

This is very good, considering that I usually don't read Post War of the Ring stories. The dialogue and style of the story is perfect. I must also say that Lady Morwen's gossipy personality was very entertaining to read. Grin  I also really enjoyed reading, and enjoying, a story with Faramir as the main character,for once. hehe...

Your description of Arwen's eyes is just lovely. I could almost feel as though I was near the crystal pool.

This is a wonderful story! Thanks for writing!

Go to Theme and Variations