Comments for: Answering the Call

Talk to docmon

Answering the Call

docmon - 22 Nov 08 - 11:29 AM

Thank you, Michelle! Exciting, frightening, AND though-provoking - well, I think my job here is done! Cool Your pick of favorites is ironic - Sam's and Boromir's scenes were the most difficult to write. I had a tough time putting Sam into such a situation, so that one was hard emotionally, I guess. Boromir just refused to cooperate for weeks!

Yes, Gimli's chapter is different. It wasn't intentional at first. It's what first came to me, and I decided to stick with it. I didn't realize until much later the effect it would have on the story as a whole, which you summed up nicely. It infuses some hope into a story that dishes out a heavy dose of despair. I think we all need that. Wink

You left me open to do some Shameless Self-Promotion (tm), so I will add that I just finished a full-length AU story, With Hope and Without Hope, where the Three Hunters get captured on their way to freeing the hobbits. My reviewers have agreed it's not your usual Three-Hunters-captured story. So I recommend it! Innocent

Go to Answering the Call

Answering the Call

Mar'isu - 15 Feb 06 - 10:02 PM

Ch. 2: Gandalf

O . . . M . . . G.  Wow.  This is frightening and so true.  You managed to keep him in character, 'using the Ring out of a desire to do good'

Mar'isu

Go to Answering the Call

Answering the Call

docmon - 16 Feb 06 - 9:41 AM

Ch. 2: Gandalf

Why, thank you, Mar'isu! I'm glad it rung true for you. I always wondered at that point, when he said something similar himself, what would he do in a 'desire to do good' and how terrible could it be? Well, perhaps I have a rabid imagination, or maybe it could be quite horrible.

Glad I frightened you, too! ;-) Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Go to Answering the Call

Answering the Call

Alastiel - 17 May 07 - 10:57 AM

Ch. 10: Gimli

My goodness. That was breathtaking. And very, very sobering.

Wonderful, wonderful job. Just goes to show that the members of the Fellowship really were strong after all, and that we simply took it for granted.

Violin Ghost / Alastiel

Go to Answering the Call

Answering the Call

docmon - 17 May 07 - 12:24 PM

Ch. 10: Gimli

Thank you, Alastiel!

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I do think we take the characters' strength for granted. So many things could have gone wrong at so many points...

Thank you for taking the time to comment as well.

docmon

Go to Answering the Call

Answering the Call

Michelle - 16 Nov 08 - 12:47 PM

Ch. 10: Gimli

Oh, what an exciting, frightening and thought-provoking AU! It's hard for me to decide which chapters I liked best. Maybe Sam and Boromir. Sam, because his experience with the ring was so unlike everyone else's - while still leading to doom (with a capital D). And Boromir, because the last sentence there absolutely slew me. That was fantastic.

Though, Gimli's chapter - and I assume it's the last on purpose - gives me hope. He came into possession of the ring by accident, without wishing it. And it seems that helps him to hold on to the original plan. You don't give us the assurance that he actually succeeds. But I have hope. And that's always a good thing to have handy when reading LOTR-fic!

I hope to see many more AU stories from you. They're so very original!

Go to Answering the Call