Comments for: Another Man's Cage

Talk to Dawn Felagund

Another Man's Cage

Rhapsody - 21 Oct 06 - 12:47 PM

Ow Dawn, the last chapters were such a delight to read. Where at first it was such a pleasure to follow Caranthir, Celegorm, and Maedhros, you treated us to magnificent insights from Nerdanel and Fingon. There is so much humour and delightful scenes in the past chapters that even I read it before it fulfils me again with so much mirth and joy. Especially Maglor's outbursts crack me up all the time. But as you know, Celegorm's pure interaction with nature is just the greatest inspiration you gave me and well, I thought you should know that.Heart

Go to Another Man's Cage

Another Man's Cage

Greywing - 25 Nov 06 - 12:06 PM

Rarely is the present tense used so effectively.

Brilliant foreshadowing throughout.

Go to Another Man's Cage

Another Man's Cage

MerryK - 18 Jan 07 - 8:17 PM

Dawn, this is probably the most beautiful story I have ever read in fanfiction! Your characters are absolutely brilliant in their uniqueness, your writing style is catchy and intriguiging, and above all, it is incredibly true to Tolkien. Your Feanor is, IMHO, perfect.

~MerryK

Go to Another Man's Cage

Another Man's Cage

etondap - 14 Feb 07 - 5:05 PM

This is truly one of my favorite stories, fanfiction or not. Incredibly well-written, engaging, and a great many other overused adjectives besides. It's not often we get to read non-emo/angsty stories about the House of Feanor, and this one is a real treat. I especially love how well you captured each of the characters' personalities.

A question regarding chapter 28:
"Stone. Thought. Share."
Could it, perhaps, be referring to the palantiri?

Go to Another Man's Cage

Another Man's Cage

Shasta - 24 Mar 07 - 6:30 PM

I was dying to read this story, having seen so much positive feedback for it on the HASA front page. Having said that, every part of this story has exceeded even the high expectations I got from reading the comments. The four sons of Feanor that you chose to follow in this story have such uniquely wonderful personalities and are as well-developed as any character can be. The growing strain in Nerdanel's relationship with Feanor and Maglor's disillusionment with his brother is all too evident and realistic, considering their individual personalities.

Something I find especially great about stories that focus on personas whose fate is already known, is that their happiness is all the more poignant. It's nice to dream up happy endings for everyone, but I'm glad Tolkien made his world so unforgiving and believable.

Go to Another Man's Cage

Another Man's Cage

Sszvein - 03 May 07 - 12:21 PM

How I loved your story! So much that I plowed through you 40 or so chapters in less than a week and cried at least ten times.

I had gotten used to Ithilwen's version of the characters, which I love also. Yours is quite different and I'm glad it didn't stop me from reading.

It feels as if we are among them; their emotions and thoughts are truly touching.

I await the next installment and hope you other stories with help me wait for it. =)

Go to Another Man's Cage

Another Man's Cage

SurgicalSteel - 12 Jan 09 - 3:29 PM

This is an absolutely amazing story. I'd started it numerous times only to have to break away and kept restarting again from the beginning. I finally copied the whole thing to my Sony Reader over the holidays and read it over the course of a few days off. Loved the characterizations of Feanor and Nerdanel and each of the children. The strained relations between Feanor and his father and half-sibs were wonderfully done. You manage to make Aman feel like a real place, and I don't think I can say that about many other fics that are set there. Absolutely phenomenal - I'm glad I finally finished this, it was well worth the reading!

Go to Another Man's Cage

Another Man's Cage

Himring - 20 Sep 14 - 2:32 AM

I originally read AMC here, on HASA. It was one of the ways in which HASA was a formative experience for me. I was a committed lurker, then, so I did not leave a single comment at the time...

Go to Another Man's Cage