Comments for: The Sword of Elendil

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

DrummerWench - 24 Jun 06 - 4:18 PM

*notices "Sword of Elendil" has been updated*  *finds that nothing visible has been changed since May*

I figure you've been busy tidying up behind the scenes.  Perhaps the next chapter will make its debut soon?

DrummerWench

Gandalfs apprentice - 24 Jun 06 - 4:27 PM

DrummerWench:

I altered the story summary to include Ivorwen and Dirhael on the character list--they had not been on it before, because, believe it or not, they were not on the HASA master character list! Even that little change shows up as an "update." Sorry for the disappointment!

I'm hoping to post Chapter six, "Rangers and Rivendell," in beta next weekend, and to put a draft chapter seven, "The Scarred Man," in the workshop. After that: "Trolls." Much action-adventure and drama on the way....

G.A.

Aerenos - 27 Jun 06 - 7:33 PM

Sorry I can't give you any real constructive comments, but I loved the story!  Very well-researched and well-written.  I'm looking forward to your next chapter.

DrummerWench - 19 May 07 - 9:53 AM

Hi, G.A.
You know, this is just the kind of thing I like!  A tale that, without spending all its time in the bedroom, is nevertheless for and about adults.  A tale that examines the intersections of different cultures and personalities.  A story with adventure, heartache, and growth.

Also, a story with Aragorn as a young man.  I like that, too! Wink

DW

Gandalfs apprentice - 20 May 07 - 7:11 PM

DrummerWench: you wrote this is just the kind of thing I like! A tale that, without spending all its time in the bedroom, is nevertheless for and about adults. A tale that examines the intersections of different cultures and personalities. A story with adventure, heartache, and growth.

That's what I've been aiming for--and it's wonderful that at least one reader thinks I've succeeded! Thanks!

RS: Well, we know how it turns out in the end, don't we? But Aragorn had a long road to travel on the way.

Thanks, guys!

pandemonium_213 - 22 Jul 07 - 8:18 AM

I'm new to this wild and woolly phenomenon of Tolkien fan fic, although I am a longtime fan, so I am taking my inaugural plunge into the Forbidden Pool of HASA by commenting on this excellent serial.The handy "story recommended for…" list assesses "Sword of Elendil" accurately.  Good pacing, excellent dialogue, well-crafted points of view, imaginative gap-filler,  expansion on Tolkien's milieu, yes, all those and more apply.Specifically, I'm really taken with the imagery and symbolism of the falcons, the truly wonderful characterization of Saelind, the exploration of cultures and their conflict, and the atmospheric descriptions of the life of Men in the Third Age.   More than that, you have written young Aragorn as a truly compelling character.   Even though I read this as a Tolkien fan (and critic),  "Sword of Elendil" is a darned good story in its own right.   I eagerly await the next installment.Note: No juicy sweet fish were caught and consumed during this site visit. If there are egregious errors in formatting for this comment, well, I can only shrug and claim that I'm a Luddite.

jgmsccc - 19 Mar 08 - 5:33 PM

Just want to thank you for continuing this story.  You really give personality to Aragorn and the people in his life.I know I read the first edition, but I dont remember all of it.

Gandalfs apprentice - 18 Jan 10 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, Casso and obsidianj, for your comments on "The Sword of Elendil." Yes, Aragorn's stature is beginning to be revealed to all, but he is still very young...especially for a certain Elven lady. In the next chapter, you will learn more about Ahando.

maeglin - 29 May 10 - 11:59 PM

Ah, this was awesome!  A great read.  The poem at the beginning and end is great; do we get to find out who will reforge the sword?

Gandalfs apprentice - 06 Jun 10 - 8:28 AM

Thanks to all who have read and commented on "The Sword of Elendil," Casso, RS, and others. I expect to post the final chapter within the week. To maeglin, who asked who reforged the sword: read Pandemonium's fine tale, "The Glittering of Swords," at the Silmarillion Story Archive.

DrummerWench - 12 Jun 10 - 10:28 AM

Congratulations on completing a fine work!  Even though I'm sorry to see it come to an end, you did a great job of wrapping up a compelling and exciting tale of the young Aragorn's growth in maturity and experience.  The characters and their development and interactions are excellent. Fabulous job, G.A.!

Dwimordene - 14 Jun 10 - 6:59 PM

And so it ends in a beginning - a lovely opening out into the story of the Aragorn we eventually come to know. [Some spoilery stuff below, in case other readers are concerned.]

I really liked Ahando's intervention - brilliant use of the notion of the Houseless Elf. It makes the idea of the Heirs of Isildur being hunted take on a dimension far vaster than we usually get out of the Appendix, where it appears to be a more recent phenomenon. But it appears that Ahando has been doggedly, wolfishly at it since before there was an Isildur for anyone to be heir to! Daeron's redemption, saving Rodnor from the Wolf, was well done, though I was very sorry to see Hawk go, and Beleg.

I also found that Vairë - I assume it's Vairë - really stood out, with her uncanny, gorgeous and terrible tapestries.

Thanks for a great story of Aragorn's coming of age! Bravo!