Comments for: The Sword of Elendil

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

DrummerWench - 24 Jun 06 - 4:18 PM

*notices "Sword of Elendil" has been updated*  *finds that nothing visible has been changed since May*

I figure you've been busy tidying up behind the scenes.  Perhaps the next chapter will make its debut soon?

DrummerWench

Gandalfs apprentice - 24 Jun 06 - 4:27 PM

DrummerWench:

I altered the story summary to include Ivorwen and Dirhael on the character list--they had not been on it before, because, believe it or not, they were not on the HASA master character list! Even that little change shows up as an "update." Sorry for the disappointment!

I'm hoping to post Chapter six, "Rangers and Rivendell," in beta next weekend, and to put a draft chapter seven, "The Scarred Man," in the workshop. After that: "Trolls." Much action-adventure and drama on the way....

G.A.

Aerenos - 27 Jun 06 - 7:33 PM

Sorry I can't give you any real constructive comments, but I loved the story!  Very well-researched and well-written.  I'm looking forward to your next chapter.

DrummerWench - 19 May 07 - 9:53 AM

Hi, G.A.
You know, this is just the kind of thing I like!  A tale that, without spending all its time in the bedroom, is nevertheless for and about adults.  A tale that examines the intersections of different cultures and personalities.  A story with adventure, heartache, and growth.

Also, a story with Aragorn as a young man.  I like that, too! Wink

DW

Gandalfs apprentice - 20 May 07 - 7:11 PM

DrummerWench: you wrote this is just the kind of thing I like! A tale that, without spending all its time in the bedroom, is nevertheless for and about adults. A tale that examines the intersections of different cultures and personalities. A story with adventure, heartache, and growth.

That's what I've been aiming for--and it's wonderful that at least one reader thinks I've succeeded! Thanks!

RS: Well, we know how it turns out in the end, don't we? But Aragorn had a long road to travel on the way.

Thanks, guys!

pandemonium_213 - 22 Jul 07 - 8:18 AM

I'm new to this wild and woolly phenomenon of Tolkien fan fic, although I am a longtime fan, so I am taking my inaugural plunge into the Forbidden Pool of HASA by commenting on this excellent serial.The handy "story recommended for…" list assesses "Sword of Elendil" accurately.  Good pacing, excellent dialogue, well-crafted points of view, imaginative gap-filler,  expansion on Tolkien's milieu, yes, all those and more apply.Specifically, I'm really taken with the imagery and symbolism of the falcons, the truly wonderful characterization of Saelind, the exploration of cultures and their conflict, and the atmospheric descriptions of the life of Men in the Third Age.   More than that, you have written young Aragorn as a truly compelling character.   Even though I read this as a Tolkien fan (and critic),  "Sword of Elendil" is a darned good story in its own right.   I eagerly await the next installment.Note: No juicy sweet fish were caught and consumed during this site visit. If there are egregious errors in formatting for this comment, well, I can only shrug and claim that I'm a Luddite.

jgmsccc - 19 Mar 08 - 5:33 PM

Just want to thank you for continuing this story.  You really give personality to Aragorn and the people in his life.I know I read the first edition, but I dont remember all of it.

Casso - 11 Apr 09 - 7:32 PM

Ch. :

Wow, thanks for the Easter pressy.  Better than chocolates. So pleased to see this new chapter. Thank goodness Aragorn has such a steadfast keeper in Halbarad, and those memories of Arwen to keep the darkness at bay.

This is a wonderful story beautifully written and so enjoyable to read. What a talent you have. thankyou  for sharing it with us.

Next chapter please?

DrummerWench - 11 Apr 09 - 8:55 PM

Ch. :

Hi, G.A.!
It's great to see this chapter completed!  I enjoyed hearing him tell about his first meeting with her.  Also liked being in Halbarad's POV.
Can't wait for the next chapter!
DW

illereyn - 12 Apr 09 - 8:15 AM

Ch. :

Yay!  An update!  Thanks so much GA!
I liked how you switched to Halbarad's perspective - you capture his fear and uncertainty very well.
Looking forward to reading more!

Gandalfs apprentice - 12 Apr 09 - 4:41 PM

Ch. :

Thanks to all those reading and enjoying the latest chapter of "The Sword of Elendil," especially illereyn, DrummerWench and Casso.

Halbarad deserved his own chapter, so he got it here. He is in his own right a hero of this story, after all. But our Ranger friends aren't out of trouble yet....I will post the next chapter sooner than this one, I hope.

Gandalfs apprentice - 18 Jan 10 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, Casso and obsidianj, for your comments on "The Sword of Elendil." Yes, Aragorn's stature is beginning to be revealed to all, but he is still very young...especially for a certain Elven lady. In the next chapter, you will learn more about Ahando.

maeglin - 29 May 10 - 11:59 PM

Ah, this was awesome!  A great read.  The poem at the beginning and end is great; do we get to find out who will reforge the sword?

Gandalfs apprentice - 06 Jun 10 - 8:28 AM

Thanks to all who have read and commented on "The Sword of Elendil," Casso, RS, and others. I expect to post the final chapter within the week. To maeglin, who asked who reforged the sword: read Pandemonium's fine tale, "The Glittering of Swords," at the Silmarillion Story Archive.

DrummerWench - 12 Jun 10 - 10:28 AM

Congratulations on completing a fine work!  Even though I'm sorry to see it come to an end, you did a great job of wrapping up a compelling and exciting tale of the young Aragorn's growth in maturity and experience.  The characters and their development and interactions are excellent. Fabulous job, G.A.!

Dwimordene - 14 Jun 10 - 6:59 PM

And so it ends in a beginning - a lovely opening out into the story of the Aragorn we eventually come to know. [Some spoilery stuff below, in case other readers are concerned.]

I really liked Ahando's intervention - brilliant use of the notion of the Houseless Elf. It makes the idea of the Heirs of Isildur being hunted take on a dimension far vaster than we usually get out of the Appendix, where it appears to be a more recent phenomenon. But it appears that Ahando has been doggedly, wolfishly at it since before there was an Isildur for anyone to be heir to! Daeron's redemption, saving Rodnor from the Wolf, was well done, though I was very sorry to see Hawk go, and Beleg.

I also found that Vairë - I assume it's Vairë - really stood out, with her uncanny, gorgeous and terrible tapestries.

Thanks for a great story of Aragorn's coming of age! Bravo!

Dwimordene - 07 Mar 07 - 4:12 PM

Ch. 1: Prologue: The Legend of Narsil

Hi G.A.,

I wandered over to see what was posted so far, and found this lovely prologue poem.

I very much like it: I can imagine generations of young Heirs of Isildur learning this rhyme, each one wondering if in the end he would be the one to answer the final questions and bring Narsil's history out of the legendary past and into that prophetic present opened in the last stanza. The poem very neatly encapsulates what is at stake for Aragorn in this story: his journey to from young man into Chieftain, who can answer to the eschatology of the Elder Days that has somehow always already taken him into account.

Great set up, and post more soon!

Dwim

Gandalfs apprentice - 14 Aug 07 - 11:03 AM

Ch. 1: Prologue: The Legend of Narsil

Hi, RS and belacqua! Thanks for your comments on "Sword of Elendil." Just remember: the course of true love ne'er did run smooth... Keep reading, and your questions will be answered.

Larner - 16 Oct 10 - 6:51 PM

Ch. 1: Prologue: The Legend of Narsil

A most proper prologue, this.  I very much look forward to reading this now.

Raihon - 17 May 06 - 9:50 AM

Ch. 2: Arathorn's Son

I am really enjoying this story. I like this wry, warm Aragorn and you capture his youthful impulsiveness and insecurity without making him rash or bumbling. Nicely done.

-Raihon

Hanasían - 14 Jun 06 - 6:51 PM

Ch. 2: Arathorn's Son

This is an excellent opening to this part of Tolkien's unfinished story! I'm always on the lookout fr stories that have to do with Arnor,  the northern Dúnedain, and the Rangers. Very well written!

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 12:39 PM

Ch. 2: Arathorn's Son

So--already a quarrel between himself and Arwen?  /he is quite young, isn't he?

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 7:44 PM

Ch. 3: Taking Leave

I can appreciate his concerns for his own motivation.  So, he has actually kissed Elrond's daughter?  Lucky him!

oshun - 02 Apr 06 - 10:31 PM

Ch. 4: At the Meeting Stone

I am so glad to see that you are posting your revised chapters and moving forward with this beautifully written story. No one is born a hero, not even the heir of Isildur, and yet when you write of the 20-year-old Aragorn we see in the young man, untested and immature, the foreshadowing of what the man we have come to know best only as he comes into his full power and purpose. I particularly like the details of the keep, the characters, the whole feel for the Dúnedain with their harsh life and high purpose. The careful consideration and fine writing have enabled you to strike the fine balance between realism and magic that this story demands. Looking forward to the next installment.

Gandalfs apprentice - 03 Apr 06 - 8:52 AM

Ch. 4: At the Meeting Stone

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, heartofoshun. It's hard to write a young Aragorn and get the right balance between potential and room for growth. I'm glad you think the portrait in "Sword" is good. In a few more chapters the story will soon evolve into high action/adventure. I hope to post the next chapter, "The Test of Battle," in a couple of weeks.

G.A.

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 8:24 PM

Ch. 4: At the Meeting Stone

Excellent, that he is recognized in part by the presence of Narsil.

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 8:24 PM

Ch. 4: At the Meeting Stone

Excellent, that he is recognized in part by the presence of Narsil.

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 8:39 PM

Ch. 5: Shadow of Angmar

Glad that his grandmother has foreseen his return.

oshun - 22 May 06 - 11:40 AM

Ch. 6: Queen's Falcons

Anyone who loves Halbarad should definitely read this chapter. On Aragorn--I cannot but think of Wordsworth, "The Child is father of the Man..." It is so honest in its portrayal of the young Aragorn--completely recognizable, but with so much more to do and learn. Of course, your continued development of the world of the Northern Dunedain is a real contribution to the genre. Awesome!

Oshun

DrummerWench - 28 May 06 - 7:42 PM

Ch. 6: Queen's Falcons

I read through this chapter again when you transferred it from the Workshop to Beta.  Finally I have the time to drop a note.

I so enjoy Aragorn's backstory as you tell it.  You have made him a well-rounded character - still a youth in many ways, but beginning to show his maturity.  Petulant!Aragorn made me laugh, and Halbarad's reaction was just right.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

DrummerWench

Dwimordene - 29 Apr 07 - 11:32 AM

Ch. 6: Queen's Falcons

Hi G.A.,

Making my way through a quick rereading before I get to those new chapters.

I don't know if I've said this before, but I do love the idea of the falcons who protect the keep. It makes so much sense: when the spies of the Enemy number birds among them, one would need birds on your side as well to catch them.

Dwim

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 8:55 PM

Ch. 6: Queen's Falcons

I, too, like the idea that the peregrines protect the keep, as another Peregrin will one day protect the King!  Nice foreshadowing!

oshun - 04 Jul 06 - 9:51 PM

Ch. 7: The Hidden Fortress

Great chapter--I love the way you handle Aragorn and Halbarad--nice and easy, comfortable and close. Halbarad is great giving his advice on what to expect/how to handle Bree. And Halbarad's version of the tale Beren and Lúthien reached a whole new level of hilarious. How dare the cheeky guy play with the heroic pair in such a scandalous way--the Loathly Lady! Fair Lúthien as a slobbering troll! Aragorn's response was priceless--fortunately he has a sense of humor.

Sorry to neglect here all the serious parts of the chapter. Just a quick note that you seamlessly move the plot forward, while imprinting on the reader further aspects of the development of the relationship between Halbarad and Aragorn.

Oshun

RS - 06 Jul 06 - 10:23 AM

Ch. 7: The Hidden Fortress

I'm rolling on the floor here!  Halbarad's or should I say the Poet's,  take on this revered story is Priceless!  And I'm sure his forebearers don't mind! Surely they would not begrudge them a hot meal and a bed!

Laughter, hardship, and spirituality all mixed in this wonderful chapter!

Dwimordene - 29 Apr 07 - 12:23 PM

Ch. 7: The Hidden Fortress

Our mortality is never out of mind. But my grandfather's body was never found, and my father sleeps in an unmarked grave in the mountains. Where will I rest?

I love the anxious poignancy of this line, so appropriate to a Ranger. To rest as a metaphor for death also evokes the restlessness of someone without a home, the uncertainty of finding any rest as a Ranger, until death. But even death as a final rest may not answer to the desire for a home - bodies are buried far away, or are lost to the Wild.

Love it!

Dwim

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 9:07 PM

Ch. 7: The Hidden Fortress

Apparently Halbarad's tale has been edited out?  Pity!

But Aragorn begins to learn what he must, and I think he will feel at home soon enough.

RS - 09 Jul 06 - 11:40 AM

Ch. 8: Wise Heart

My stomach is in knots!  The anticipation of seeing a lost love, the excitement of finally seeing her, the rejection of unrequited love (or is it?) AARRRGGHH! Great job on the angst!  Like the twins said, "we have not heard the end of this story". I loved this chapter but you are killing me Gandalf's apprentice!

RS

Dwimordene - 01 May 07 - 5:59 AM

Ch. 8: Wise Heart

Saelind is clearly the wisdom figure here - title gives that away before ever she delivers the precise diagnosis of the Dúnedain re: Elrond:

"They complain of both too much and too little attention from Elrond, it seems to me. But even the Lord of Rivendell is not all powerful."

But I love her for her wry sense of humor - she doesn't take herself seriously at all, I think. Her understated banter with her grandson and great-grandsons--teasing Aragorn about subjects she promises never to mention (again), rebuking Halbarad for being impertinent (and clearly loving him for it all the while), making light of her age and fragility in frank terms--is wonderful. She was no doubt a devastatingly witty figure in her youth, and effortlessly embodied the traditions and authority the Dúnedain might expect of the wife of a Chieftain.

Dwim

Gandalfs apprentice - 06 May 07 - 3:02 AM

Ch. 8: Wise Heart

To all: thanks for your comments!

Dwim: <i>Saelind is clearly the wisdom figure here - title gives that away<i>

"Saelind" means Wise Heart in Sindarin, according to HoME. She's the <i>estel<i> of the past--the continuity of royalty.

RS: I'll leave you to look up "eunuch" in the dictionary.

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 9:33 PM

Ch. 8: Wise Heart

A good meeting as the future confronts the past, and all look to the present.  Now, to see the celebration promised.

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 9:43 PM

Ch. 9: The First Death

The history of Aragorn is indeed fascinating.  He needed to learn his craft of protection, but as Elrond's son.  And he appears to have learned well.

RS - 29 Apr 07 - 6:57 PM

Ch. 10: Harvest Festival

Hi G.A.!

I like that Saelind is among her people as opposed to being confined to her cottage.  And how fitting it is to have her tell Aragorn about his father.  Arathorn not liking ale and pipeweed?....how ironic!

Daeron is a scary person--like a dark cloud hovering in the shadows, and yet I feel sorry for him.  So Beleg was responsible for the fight between Daeron and Arathorn?  Interesting..... I hope we get to hear Gilraen's take on this whole situation.

Has my love made me a eunuch?  Very funny line!!! What is a eunuch?  (althought I can guess what a eunuch does not do!)  It's so natural how Aragron's thoughts wander towards Arwen. That's pretty much how a person's mind often works when one has just left a relationship...especially the way theirs ended.

He had wondered at the look of sadness in her eyes.   This particular memory of Arwen gives the reader a glimpse of what she might have been going through...that she was not the haughty and cold elf that broke Aragorn's heart.

"he had seen two eagles in their mating dance, their claws entwined as they tumbled through the air."   A very powerful image!

He would settle for nothing less. If she would not have him, he would have no one... It seems like father and son have a lot in common!

I am so enjoying this!

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 9:58 PM

Ch. 10: Harvest Festival

Not a eunuch, but able to stir only for one, perhaps?  A good deal to learn in one gulp.

Greywing - 06 May 07 - 5:06 AM

Ch. 11: The Test of Battle

Wonderful story, with the perfect mix of subtle humour, tension and conflict at the appropriate times. The suspicion and unease with which some of the Dunedain regard Aragorn is very believable.

Ach, poor Brelach!

Re: whether the chapters flow-- I do not see a problem, and it has been a riveting read (and you know I'm not really all that fond about stories involving too many Men. ;) )

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 10:11 PM

Ch. 11: The Test of Battle

Does a Nazgul lurk somewhere nearby, I wonder?  Alas for Brelach.

Raihon - 30 Nov 08 - 8:07 PM

Ch. 12: Fever Dreams

I'm caught up to where I left off ages ago. Nice to re-read - the flow is really great.

I hope to have time to read more soon. :)

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 10:24 PM

Ch. 12: Fever Dreams

Ah!  Now we begin to see some of the history of Rhudaur.  Now, to find out who this evil sorceror might be!

RS - 19 May 07 - 10:44 PM

Ch. 13: The Captains' Council

Whew!  The tension in the council room was so thick that you can cut it with a knife!  I, too, was getting edgy and thinking, "Go on Aragorn, say something in your defense!"

I cannot wait for the day when Aragorn can prove his self worth to the Dunedain and make Ingold and Daeron (especially Daeron!) eat their words......hopefully while Halbarad watches!!

Raihon - 01 Dec 08 - 5:44 AM

Ch. 13: The Captains' Council

Maybe I've been reading too many mystery novels, but I really expected the chapter to end on a cliffhanger and I'd have to click to the next chapter to find out the result of the vote!

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 10:50 PM

Ch. 13: The Captains' Council

Already wise and well prepared for his future office!  Well done!

Casso - 09 Jul 07 - 6:38 PM

Ch. 14: The Dagger

'He slept the dreamless sleep of exhaustion each night, and for that he thanked the hard road. '

Ah yes, but spring is coming and after, summer, and with it a visit to Rivendell that will cause sleepless nights, however hard the road.

Thanks for another great chapter.

Gandalfs apprentice - 10 Jul 07 - 9:05 AM

Ch. 14: The Dagger

Thanks for the comments. Yes, many sleepless nights await Aragorn--and more trials than a broken heart.

RS - 10 Jul 07 - 5:00 PM

Ch. 14: The Dagger

A wonderful moment with Saelind and Aragorn ---and her moment of passing was beautiful, just beautiful.

Aragorn pushed himself to the limit of his strength, and felt his body hardening, toughening, growing. ---Whew!!!...Imagine that!

As usual I was pleased to see another update!

RS

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 11:03 PM

Ch. 14: The Dagger

Ah, he does mature, and feels the ties to his kindred.  I am glad he was able to see Saelind to her rest in that manner.

RS - 10 Aug 07 - 1:55 PM

Ch. 15: The Haven of Rivendell

OUCH...That hurts!  Poor Aragorn! You weren't kidding when you said that you were going to increase the angst level of his feelings towards Arwen.  Just reading that moment with him and Arwen made me want to hide under a rock... It was real painful to read.

Very interesting about your take on female Elves...and Arwen:

It is not uncommon for Elf-women to take lovers, and I would be very surprised if Estel were the first—"  "They have an ease and freedom that I quite envy—especially the women."

So far, I'm painting a picture of Arwen as being cold, aloof, detached. My heart breaks for Aragorn.

The dinner scene was so intense you could feel it in the air!  I as a person observing ARagorn's plight was feeling very uncomfortable...as I'm sure Gilraen and Ivorwen were!

A little comic relief from Dirhael made this chapter a little bearable.  I love his blunt and outspoken personality!  I have a feeling that Lindir and Erestor lost their debate with him!

What a lively bunch...Aragorn's family!  I love the exchange amongst them at the breakfast table!   Just a brief moment of normalcy for ARagorn and Gilraen.

Good Job with this chapter!  I really enjoyed it!

belaqua - 13 Aug 07 - 12:59 PM

Ch. 15: The Haven of Rivendell

The story seems to be very well balanced and promising so far. I'm dying to read new chapters, please post as soon as possible!)) Although have to admit I'm a little anxious about all this relationship stuff. If differencies to canon "have to do with the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen", as you said, does that mean Arwen's not gonna love him back??! I mean all these complicated feelings and dramatic interactions are very captivating but in the end she's going to realize she loved him all along, right? Right? I'm wondering and I'm pondering...

pandemonium_213 - 18 Aug 07 - 3:21 PM

Ch. 15: The Haven of Rivendell

First of all, thanks for feeding my Sword of Elendil addiction.  There's a lot to like about this chapter. You've shifted setting and tone nicely from the harshness of the Angle to the sequestered peace of Rivendell.  It's quieter, softer, but the story continues to move along well. You captured Dírhael as a curmudgeon, but a warm, likeable one.  The multiple layers of familial love and concern, i.e., Ivorwen and Dírhael for Gilraen, Gilraen for Aragorn, I & D for their grandson, are well-executed and all too easy to relate to.  Finally, turns of phrases like these - "his face full of the mania of love" and "like golden drops of honey seeping from a sieve" - are pure gold.  Oh, and that jab at LaCE?  Well done!  Heh.

mistry89 - 18 Aug 07 - 6:47 PM

Ch. 15: The Haven of Rivendell

I've only just "discovered" this story, and am eager for more. Filling in backstories, gap fillers, and slices of life are delightful in themselves - this is more :)

Hope this makes sense!

Thank you.

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 11:26 PM

Ch. 15: The Haven of Rivendell

As one who tends to follow LaCE, I find the idea of the dalliance you describe as strange, but it's still possible, I suppose.  Love the family dynamics here, and can't wait to read more.

RS - 09 Oct 07 - 9:22 PM

Ch. 16: The Evenstar

I do believe that Aragorn would rather face the harsh scrutiny of his fellow Rangers back at the Angle then go through this torturous emotions of the heart!  Once again you've left this reader's stomach all tied up in knots!

What would you lose to let me be with you? ...Though Aragorn thinks he has matured, he still has room to "wise up", with a statement like that and all.

His agonizing resolve at the end was very heartbreaking...very determined but so SAD.

Seeing Aragorn go through this is torment..I often have to remind myself the outcome with his relationship with Arwen to get me out of my bleakness.

His time with his twin foster brother was a lot of fun! ......Aragorn scoffed as he threw off his clothes yet again....MY, MY!!

Hope your updates will be sooner.

RS

Casso - 09 Oct 07 - 10:42 PM

Ch. 16: The Evenstar

Spoilers for those who read comments before reading the chapter

I am woefully ignorant of matters pertaining to wrestling but am I to assume that it is done naked? Wow, I doubt I will get over this scene anytime soon.

I do feel for Arwen, I think she feels more for Aragorn than she will admit, He must not be distracted from his 'Destiny', did her father tell her this? Far from warning Aragorn off his daughter, was it the other way around? Did he warn his daughter off Aragorn?

I loved this chapter, nice family dynamics, angst, naked stuff, heartbroken Aragorn.  Keep up the great work.

Write again soon.

Casso

obsidianj - 11 Oct 07 - 11:35 AM

Ch. 16: The Evenstar

Oh, this chapter is heartbreaking. "I am Estel no longer. Hope is left behind." Aragorn is in a bad place, spiritually, with this thought. I hope that he will find hope again soon. Having no hope is a really desolate place to be.

Gandalfs apprentice - 13 Oct 07 - 9:43 AM

Ch. 16: The Evenstar

Thanks, RS, Casso and obsidianj, for your kind comments on "The Sword of Elendil." Yes, Aragorn is suffering a lot in this chapter; it's a turning point in the story, as you will see. One of the reasons I wrote the naked wrestling scene was to relieve the grimness a bit. Glad it worked!

Updates will be slow but steady.

G.A.

oshun - 14 Oct 07 - 8:04 AM

Ch. 16: The Evenstar

You did warn there were naked men in this chapter. You didn't convey how cute they would be. I am sorry, just ignore me--this is a novel of high seriousness; above that kind of nonsense (well, not entirely, I hope). Wonderful chapter. Arwen is in trouble, whether she fully realizes it or not. Aragorn is charmingly vulnerable and just a shade callow (appropriate to his age). I guess that is what this novel is all about--tracing the growth. I do love that last line: Operatic in its histrionics and, yet, so believable of this serious young man. (Hope he never entirely loses that passion though.)

Aerenos - 29 Dec 07 - 7:27 AM

Ch. 16: The Evenstar

I'm sorry that I've been away for so long and missed keeping up with this story.  I am caught up now, however, and I loved the read!

You really capture Aragorn's spirit and "rawness" well - raised by elves, yes, but definitely a Dunadan.

Larner - 17 Oct 10 - 11:48 PM

Ch. 16: The Evenstar

Aragorn will find he will never truly leave Estel completely behind.  But he does still have some growing up to do!

obsidianj - 15 Feb 08 - 8:00 AM

Ch. 17: The Scarred Man

That fight was quite a surprise. I didn't expect Daeron to go so far. What got into him? And even more disturbing was the little voice commanding Aragorn to kill. What is going on here?

I really hope you can update more often. I want to know what happened here.

Gandalfs apprentice - 16 Feb 08 - 3:37 AM

Ch. 17: The Scarred Man

Hi, obsidianj: Thanks for your post on "The Sword of Elendil." I do expect to update more often. As for "what happened," well, it'll be a while before all is made clear. Much adventure ahead!

RS - 18 Feb 08 - 9:58 PM

Ch. 17: The Scarred Man

Hi G.A.!

Wow! I think Gilraen's words held true!...

"You speak with a strange vehemence," ... "You make me afraid you'll do something rash and risk your life."...

"avenge my grandfather"...?Aragorn?...initiating the sparring?  Quite an interesting turn! This is the total opposite of the original story (if I remember correctly)

Daeron may be "mad" as Aragorn said or a "traitor" as Beleg may think, but I think there's more to this than meets the eye!  Does Daeron have a deathwish or are outside forces trying to take control?

Your description of the sparring scene gave me the chills. From Daeron's footsteps to his menacing words..Utterly frightening!

Can't wait for the update...and welcome back!

RS

pandemonium_213 - 20 Feb 08 - 5:36 AM

Ch. 17: The Scarred Man

It may have been a long wait, but you've rewarded your loyal readers with another richly crafted chapter.  Although Aragorn takes center stage in Sword of Elendil, your characterizations of the supporting cast add amazing depth to this series. These shine through in this chapter, e.g., the long-married-couple banter between Ivorwen and Dírhael to gangly adolescent Rodner's "foolish grin" to Ríannon who had watched over Aragorn when he was a toddler.

It's immensely gratifying to read your portrayal of Gilraen. That first scene is really poignant - I got all verklempt reading that!

Hat's off to your nuanced take on Daeron.  It's easy enough to write characters in binary Good Guys vs. Bad Guys mode, but showing Daeron's complexity (Gilraen's insight, Daeron's warmth toward Beleg) adds tremendous emotional impact to that final - and intense - scene of this long-awaited chapter.

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 12:07 AM

Ch. 17: The Scarred Man

So, Daeron wishes to see Aragorn lose his own self-respect by killing him, and apparently wishes to flee his own anger through death.  Interesting.

obsidianj - 05 Mar 08 - 1:36 PM

Ch. 18: Chieftain's Justice

A great chapter. This is getting really ominous. First the attack and then the man cannot remember a thing. What is going on?

I can understand that Aragorn doesn't like the two choices for punishment, especially since they have to punish a man who obviously has no memory of the deed.

In light of Aragorn's strange accident during his first battle this is even more strange. I hope they can figure out soon what is happening.

pandemonium_213 - 05 Mar 08 - 5:24 PM

Ch. 18: Chieftain's Justice

You've ratcheted up the sense of mystery and foreboding yet again in this chapter, starting with Aragorn's fever dream (appropriately discordant) to the debate over Daeron's potential fate (and Aragorn's ruminations on these) to the trial.  The latter is a particularly a well-drawn scene with attention to environmental detail, protocol and dialogue that together convey a "you-are-there" feeling.

Daeron continues to emerge as a sympathetic character; the trial and the last scene of this chapter bring this forward in a big way .  Hat's off to creating these complex characters!

I also appreciate your infusion of the rational, e.g., that Daeron's memory loss may be due to "sickness of the mind" (psychiatric illness) and that Aragorn's dreams are influenced by fever.   This is not to say that an exogenous maleficent presence cannot be at work, but the "rational explanations" add ambiguity which works well here. Likewise, it's gratifying to see that Elven healing is a not facile undertaking and that there's a price to pay for applying it.

RS - 06 Mar 08 - 8:01 PM

Ch. 18: Chieftain's Justice

As threatening as Daeron is, or was, to Aragorn, I do feel sorry for him.

I do hope everything works out.

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 12:26 AM

Ch. 18: Chieftain's Justice

A most troubling situation, with apparently someone seeking to influence these two to violence beyond their natures.  That Aragorn sought to aid Daeron afterward is to the good. though.

pandemonium_213 - 12 Mar 08 - 7:09 AM

Ch. 19: Trolls

So you slipped another chapter into "Sword of Elendil" and what a deliciously dark one it is!

You build the tension and fear in the chapter  with skill. First, as Aragorn and the Dúnedain journey to the Weather Hills, you detail Goener's expertise in trollology and his recount of what happened to Arador and his companions.  That's ominous enough.  Then there's the hunt - from finding the troll spoor to the climactic attack. I'm not going to comment explicitly on that here lest I expose spoilers for other readers, but just let me say the climax of this chapter is gruesomely vivid and exciting, too. The final scene is heartbreaking.

I got a major kick out of a certain characteristic you gave to the troll and the black humor associated with that: a very sly nod to your other opus, you rascal!

Well done, G.A.  Keep 'em coming.

obsidianj - 13 Mar 08 - 12:49 PM

Ch. 19: Trolls

This is a dark chapter. Trolls are up to no good and as dumb as they are, they are still dangerous. The tension mounted in this chapter from being briefed on a troll hunt to doing the actual thing. Watching the troll go about her daily business was gruesome and then the end. It is heartbreaking. It will take a long time to get over this. I just hope that the boy will get over it in time.

Gandalfs apprentice - 16 Mar 08 - 6:19 AM

Ch. 19: Trolls

To all who have commented and read "Trolls" in "The Sword of Elendil": yes, it is indeed a dark chapter. I wish I could promise you that this is the darkest hour, but I suspect you know it isn't. There will be lots of food for your angst hunger in the chapters to come! Next up: "Beyond the Circles of the World." I hope to post within the week.

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 12:44 AM

Ch. 19: Trolls

A horrible ending for the boy--and what a thing for his brother to have seen!  Love Aragorn's means of comforting him as he can accept it for now.

obsidianj - 20 Mar 08 - 6:05 PM

Ch. 20: Beyond the Circles of the World

What is with Aragorn? I don't think all of his moodiness can be explained by grieving. Maybe he should use the Athelas on himself.

And poor Rodnor. Seeing the twins must have been a shock to him and a painful reminder of his own twin.

RS - 21 Mar 08 - 9:42 PM

Ch. 20: Beyond the Circles of the World

I enjoyed the fist-flying moment between ARagorn and Halbarad. It gave me a much needed laugh.  Can't wait to read about Aragorn's journey with his brothers and Halbarad.

I hope Elladan and Elrohir can give some comfort to Rodner...and help Aragorn through this.

I am still getting over the shock of reading the previous chapter...couldn't comment on it. No words could describe how I felt when reading it.

Dwimordene - 02 Apr 08 - 11:36 AM

Ch. 20: Beyond the Circles of the World

Hello, GA.

I am finally caught up on this story. I actually had to go back and reread a few chapters, which was lovely, since his struggles to find his place in the shadow of his father lead up nicely through these latest chapters. In one, he has to deal with the bitter legacy of Arathorn's marriage to Gilraen in the form of Daeron, and the difficult quetsion of justice; he is still trying to prove to the skeptics among the Dunedain that he is a worthy successor to his father as both Heir of Isildur and Chieftain. The troll hunt is a way of trying to be a son to his father and avenge his death, and now at last he must face his father's grave in the company of brothers old and new. These chapters have been marvelous at showing an Aragorn attempting to negotiate the intricate ties of blood and loyalty and to create a family large enough to accommodate his own bonds of affection.

At the same time, of course, doing that is a political exercise, as noted, and Aragorn is steadily chipping away at resentment and skepticism.

The action in the troll chapter was well done, and satisfyingly horrific. I liked the light touches of morbid humor (kissing troll hags and turning them into Elves, which becomes a nice running gag), and also the lesson in how to hunt trolls. Very well thought out - it added to the sense of being present to begin an endeavor that may well cost some of the participants their lives. I knew the second Goenor said he likes to take along some lads who are light enough to scramble up those trees, that nothing good could come of this. One just gets that sinking feeling in one's stomach. And boy was it dead on target! The surviving twin's reaction to Elladan and Elrohir was poignant and appropriate, I thought, and it is good to think the Infamous Twins feel a certain responsibility towards a twin bereft of his brother.

TTFN,

Dwim

Gandalfs apprentice - 02 Apr 08 - 2:36 PM

Ch. 20: Beyond the Circles of the World

RS, obsidianj, Dwim: thanks for reading and commenting on "The Sword of Elendil." This is a dark chapter heading into an even darker stretch. The next chapter will be called "The Grave," after which our heroes get into some really bad spots. Aragorn is indeed having his baptism of fire here!

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 1:03 AM

Ch. 20: Beyond the Circles of the World

Learning to grieve properly is a new experience, of course.  Glad he and Halbarad had their battle--they both needed it.

RS - 05 Jul 08 - 10:43 PM

Ch. 21: The Grave

Realization certainly dawned on Aragorn regarding Arwen in this chapter... it surely was an eye opener; or did it also pose more questions for him?  And what was this disagreement between the twins?

"...and he listened white-faced and shaken, for all the preparation he had made in his mind. Halbarad cried out and hid his face in his hands."  --- That one sentence was enough for one's imagination to conceive the horrors of what the Orcs did to Arathorn...really blood chilling.

The reference of the earth remembering Arathorn's death and Aragorn letting his blood drop on the glyphs of his father's grave was very stirring and beautiful!  OMG!

And... that young Estel sure was a handful!  Aragorn and whiskers...and maidens?  Rowrr!

A wonderful chapter!

Gandalfs apprentice - 07 Jul 08 - 2:43 PM

Ch. 21: The Grave

RS: Thanks for your comments on "The Sword of Elendil." Yes, Aragorn continues to find out that things are even more complicated than he knew. I hope to post the next chapter, "Betrayal," within the week.

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 1:23 AM

Ch. 21: The Grave

At least he was able to visit the grave and to see the assault.  And he has a good deal to think on--a necessary thing, I think.

DrummerWench - 05 Aug 08 - 9:29 PM

Ch. 22: Betrayal

Another excellent chapter, G.A.!  You build the tension well; I appreciate the way the edgier scenes are interspersed with relief.  Showing Gilraen's foresight & building up to the climax of this chapter is well-done!  I love all your characters--they're consistant, believable, and different from each other--not an easy thing to accomplish.  Great job!

Elrûn - 06 Aug 08 - 2:19 AM

Ch. 22: Betrayal

Gandalfs apprentice,

I completely agree with DrummerWench: Your story is very inspiring, especially its darker aspects! I have been following it for quite a while, enjoying the background it provides for both Aragorn's youth and the Dúnedain in general.

Elrûn

RS - 06 Aug 08 - 3:38 PM

Ch. 22: Betrayal

I am hoping he is leaping to save them!  Call me a Polly Anna but I still have hope for Daeron!

Gandalfs apprentice - 07 Aug 08 - 9:23 PM

Ch. 22: Betrayal

DrummerWench, Elrun, RS: Thanks for your thoughts on "Betrayal." I'm not going to give the story away, of course, but I can promise not to make you wait so very long for an update....the story will get even more intense before it winds down.

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 5:27 AM

Ch. 22: Betrayal

I, too, hope he's come to save them, but I supppose we must see.

Loved seeing Gilraen mothering Rodnor--the boy needs it!

RS - 15 Oct 08 - 1:35 PM

Ch. 23: Beleg's Tale

This is really creepy!  From the frantic and horrifying end of the previous chapter to this quiet, mystefying calm.  Very eerie.

oshun - 15 Oct 08 - 4:53 PM

Ch. 23: Beleg's Tale

Just read this again. It is truly an eerie and creepy chapter. Really well done. In addition to all that, relationship and dialogue between Aragorn and Halabarad continues to be so convincing.

Gandalfs apprentice - 18 Oct 08 - 9:31 AM

Ch. 23: Beleg's Tale

Hi RS, oshun: Thanks for your comments, and reassuring me that I hit the creepy note I was aiming for. Can't say that you'll find much respite in the coming chapters. But of course, since it's Aragorn, we know it will all come out right in the end. I hope to post again in a few weeks. Sorry it's so slow!

RS - 16 Dec 08 - 9:05 PM

Ch. 24: The Servant of Mordor

You got me sweating there for a minute...I knew Aragorn was not going to die...but...it got scary there!  Very suspenseful!  I almost jumped for joy when Daeron and Halbarad prevailed (if it were a scene in a movie I would have!)

I knew my hope in Daeron was not in vain!  "I am no traitor"  "I am a true Dúnadan."  I love those lines and it truly fit Daeron's character.

Can we try for an update soon?  It doesn't hurt to ask.

Gandalfs apprentice - 17 Dec 08 - 12:15 PM

Ch. 24: The Servant of Mordor

RS, Raihon and all those who have been following "The Sword of Elendil": thanks for reading! I plan to post at least one more chapter by the end of December. Our heroes are still in a lot of trouble!

Aerenos - 02 Jan 09 - 7:06 PM

Ch. 24: The Servant of Mordor

Another great chapter, GA!  I like the pace you keep from chapter to chapter, without giving up anything on detail.  I am particularly interested in your reference to the Sorceror of Rhudaur, as I am always looking for story ideas about the Dunadain during the time the Northern Realm was split amongst Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur.  Thanks for another great read!

Aerenos.

obsidianj - 17 Jan 10 - 6:43 PM

Ch. 24: The Servant of Mordor

That was close. I had my suspicions about Beleg, but I didn't anticipate this twist. At Dearon is no traitor.

But you killed off Hawk. He was one of my favorite characters :(.

I hope that at least Rodney will survive this story ;-).

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 7:02 AM

Ch. 24: The Servant of Mordor

At this point Elvish medicine is what is needed.  Now--to get the child to Rivendell as soon as possible.

I'd wondered if the beardlessness had something to do with the spell on him.

pandemonium_213 - 18 Jan 09 - 7:06 AM

Ch. 25: The Power of Elven Healing

I'll happily feed your muse.

I liked the "mechanism" of Aragorn's application of elven healing.  Your descriptions of this rang very true for me, but I am admitting my own biases here.  And this "...whirling like a fallen leaf into a vortex as black as Morgoth's heart."  Wonderful!  The lingering phantasm in Aragorn's memory is a good touch of foreshadowing, too.

I adore your Halbarad and Aragorn, and even in the midst of peril, the lightness of their banter and long friendship w/ one another are apparent.  I'm thrilled to see Daeron redeemed, of course.

And Drauchir?  What an excellent bad guy!  Very inspired.

As always, your descriptions of the landscape make it a character in itself.

DrummerWench - 18 Jan 09 - 2:04 PM

Ch. 25: The Power of Elven Healing

Hey, G.A. -
Great to see this updated again!  You keep the tension and suspense up, and maintain (and develop!) the relationships among the characters.

As it turns out, I really like Daeron.  Beleg / Drauchir is great, too, in a very scary and creepy way.

The healing scene is well-thought out and tense and a bit puzzling for us and for A.--excellent!

Also like this nod to the books:

"Well, you can laugh, but I can't. You are white as a ghost."

"A poor choice of words." Aragorn frowned. "Don't say such things."

Again, very good!  Hope the Muse sticks around for more of the same!
DW

Aerenos - 20 Jan 09 - 7:04 PM

Ch. 25: The Power of Elven Healing

I'll echo the previous comments - another great entry in The Sword of Elendil.  I like how Aragon's confidence is tested in this chapter, and the opportunity you've created to develop him further.  Awesome story!

RS - 28 Jan 09 - 10:59 PM

Ch. 25: The Power of Elven Healing

Six more chapters?? Darn... I would hate to see this story end.

Long cliffhangers regardless, it always pleases me to see updates!

Hope Rodnor does not succumb to this phantom sorcery.

Gandalfs apprentice - 29 Jan 09 - 8:39 AM

Ch. 25: The Power of Elven Healing

Pandemonium, DrummerWench, Aerenos, RS: Thanks for your comments on the ongoing drama of Aragorn's young manhood. He's still got many challenges to face, even after the threat of the sorcerer is overcome--including coming to some kind of resolution about a certain Elf-maiden, and meeting that crusty old wizard. I appreciate your patience with the slow progress of the story.

Casso - 10 Mar 09 - 1:47 PM

Ch. 25: The Power of Elven Healing

I can see, in this story, Aragorn developing into the sort of man who will become a great leader of Middle Earth.  This is a wonderful story. I see RS's comment re six more chapters, while that sounds great I will hate to see this story end.  Looking forward to more Aragorn / Arwen and Gandalf.

Keep up the great work.  Can't wait for more. Am re reading my favorite bits while I wait.

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 7:15 AM

Ch. 25: The Power of Elven Healing

A nasty wight, this one.  I hope Aragorn got him out of there!

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 7:28 AM

Ch. 26: Steadfast

At least Beleg no longer exists as a channel for the enemy.  Sad, but necessary.  And Aragorn is now safe.

Casso - 17 Jan 10 - 2:43 AM

Ch. 27: Shadow of the Elder Days

I don't know what to say. I'm relieved, and thrilled, to see another chapter of this story.  I found your message in my inbox this morning. As I wanted to savor each word of this chapter I did not read it 'till this evening when everyone else in the house was in bed and I had a half glass of red wine to enjoy along with the chapter. And enjot it I did. I get the feeling that EVERYONE will now come to fully realise how great Aragorn will be (except perhaps for Halbarad and Elrond who have long known it).

I will hold you to posting the next chapter sooner, although, so long as there is a next chapter, sometime, I'll be happy.

RS - 18 Jan 10 - 4:01 PM

Ch. 27: Shadow of the Elder Days

So Happy to see the update!

First of all, I share  Gilraen's frustration (and bitterness) of the stark contrast between the harsh and bleak life of the Dunedain and the easy life of the Elves in Rivendell.  And to think that some Elves are pompous enough to think the way Lindir does..GRRR!

You always seem to make my heart jump...the first time Arathorn and Gilraen's saw each other..(pitter patter).

Cannot wait to see what transpires between Elrond and Aragorn at the pathways.

I do hope we get to hear from Halbarad and his first impression on Elrond.  Your description of his first  introduction to this Elf lord was pretty amazing .  Have we seen the last of Arwen?

Truly enjoyed this chapter..but of course, I leave it with more questions which I hope will be answered in the next few chapters!

By-the-way..The beginning of this chapter is reminiscent of another writing from you with Arwen behind the loom thinking about Aragorn...different story of course.. but still a favorite of mine!

Of course...waiting for the next update!

obsidianj - 21 Jan 10 - 6:07 PM

Ch. 27: Shadow of the Elder Days

So, the battle for Aragorn is not over. Seems like the worst part is about to begin.

I can understand Gilraen. Since Aragorn is gone, her purpose of being in Rivendell is also gone. And I could slap Lindir. That was very arrogant, but from his pov maybe understandable. I have to assume he never bothered to get to know the mortals. To him they seem not worth the effort. I hope he has no horse or something, they die even faster.

Gandalfs apprentice - 23 Jan 10 - 9:16 AM

Ch. 27: Shadow of the Elder Days

obsidianj: thanks for your comments on "Sword." Regarding Lindir, his remark "mortals are not our business" is straight from LotR. I just extrapolated his attitude from that. Needless to say, I do not sympathize with his POV, and wonder if the professor expected that his readers would!

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 7:43 AM

Ch. 27: Shadow of the Elder Days

It is always good to know who--and what--your enemy is.  Now they know!

RS - 23 May 10 - 4:34 PM

Ch. 28: Aragorn Walks the Pathways

Hi!

Welcome Back!  I was so excited to find the new posting!

This was hauntingly beautiful...an emotionally charged dreamscape with fluid-like changes in scenery.  So vivid was this that it was not hard to imagine at all!

I love your interpretation of Elrond's and Aragorn's "talk" regarding Arwen.  You put warmth to this area.  The love between Elrond and Aragorn still shows through.

What nearly undone me was Beleg's message to Aragorn and what he had to say at the end.  "Pass the tissue Please!"

Will be waiting for the next update, as usual!

Casso - 27 May 10 - 2:32 PM

Ch. 28: Aragorn Walks the Pathways

Huzzah, Huzzah, another chapter and well worth the wait. I hope this story never ends, or at least when it does you have another Aragorn story to continue on with.

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 8:01 AM

Ch. 28: Aragorn Walks the Pathways

At least through Beleg he comes to know his father and finds the memories he needs.

Casso - 31 May 10 - 3:01 PM

Ch. 29: They Also Serve Who Only Stand and Wait

Ha, you spoil us, two chapters inside a week?  One of my favorite chapters so far I think.  Someting of a relief and a chance to catch ones breath for all those involved, except perhaps for Halbarad, who must have been out looking for those two missing rangers all this time.

I'd love to wander about a place like Rivendell, visiting the kitchens, stables, kennels and workshops, what a treat that would be.

Well done GA, Please don't stop writing any time soon.

PS,  I also read your other story over at SOA re Gandalf meets Aragorn, enjoyed very much, is it something that you will continue?

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 9:49 AM

Ch. 29: They Also Serve Who Only Stand and Wait

Ah, good!

RS - 08 Jun 10 - 4:43 PM

Ch. 30: The Heir of Elendil

So the saga ends.  I'm just so sad .

Never a dull moment--Pure anger, turmoil, confusion, realizations... just a whirwind of emotions...leading to  the last chapter---calm, tranquil, acceptance.

just breaks my heart;  there is so much intensity and determination for this unrequited love that it hurts .

I love Aragorn's conversation w/Ivorwen. I love her!

Your Aragorn  really grew on me that it makes it so much harder to know that he would lead a hard, lonlely life to reach his destiny.

"You carry your love in your eyes.."  Great explanation of the "light in his eyes "!

".. mirth would arise at times like a spring from the rock." -- My favorite description of Aragorn, which you happened to convey so successfully!

Truly enjoyed this story and one of my faves!  Hope you have another one up your sleaves!

Casso - 09 Jun 10 - 2:32 PM

Ch. 30: The Heir of Elendil

Oh dear, The end has come.

I (among many others I'm sure) have eagerly awaited each chapter,jumped up and down with joy every time I received notification that another  chapter was there to read and then read it several times.

I almost didn't want to read this chapter. It means its over.

Ditto all RS's comments.  Go Ivorwen, what a great lady.

Your Aragorn, Halbarad and all the other characters are now, officially, my favorite versions.  When I think of any of them they will appear to me  as you have shown them.

I love the idea of Aragorn and Halbarad hitting the high seas.

Perhaps there will be more?

sometime?

Larner - 18 Oct 10 - 10:06 AM

Ch. 30: The Heir of Elendil

A most auspicious ending.  Thanks for the enjoyable read.

Hanasían - 14 Jun 06 - 7:02 PM

Ch. 31: Author's Notes

Gandalf's apprentice, I have to say that you capture what is probably one of the most debated aspects of J.R.R. Tolkien's stories of Middle Earth. I believe that there is so much depth to the stories as published that so much can be written of events that are only brushed upon. You have done a great job of putting this story together!