Comments for: Fell and Fair

Talk to Elena Tiriel

Jay of Lasgalen - 20 Oct 06 - 5:05 AM

This is wonderful!  I love the idea of a series of drabbles from different POVs before, during, and after the battle.  You chose such unusual characters, too - the widow, the wolf, and the warg for instance, which make this so interesting.

Most of all I love the legend of the Grey Ghostriders sweeping to the rescue before riding off again.  A pity they weren't there for Eomund.

Jay

Elena Tiriel - 14 Dec 06 - 9:15 PM

Hi Gwynnyd!

Interesting set of drabbles. I had not read them before and I like them very much.

I am so sorry I missed this story before.

Ah, another person who believes in copious author's notes. Kindred spirit!

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments! They are a real treat to see, because the muse had deserted me, so I hadn't been able to work on this series for over a year.

I'm especially pleased that you dared to look at the Author's Notes -- so far, this series is 70% comments and 30% drabbles... LOL!

The muse is back (finally!), so maybe I'll have more drabbles to add soon.... wish me luck!

Elena Tiriel - 14 Dec 06 - 9:52 PM

This is wonderful! I love the idea of a series of drabbles from different POVs before, during, and after the battle. You chose such unusual characters, too - the widow, the wolf, and the warg for instance, which make this so interesting.

Most of all I love the legend of the Grey Ghostriders sweeping to the rescue before riding off again. A pity they weren't there for Eomund.

Jay

Hi Jay!

Thank you so much for your comment! I so enjoy giving voice to Tolkien's lesser-known characters and races -- the ones that most writers don't choose to explore.

Some have accused me of having a special affinity with creatures of the Dark, but I'm just a very good listener... *vbg*

If the muse continues to cooperate, I hope to have some more drabbles soon, at least some from... less customary points of view... Who knows, maybe I'll even writes some drabbles about the battle itself!

Jay of Lasgalen - 10 Jan 07 - 11:05 PM

"She is our grandmother."

*Grin*

I wish I could have seen Eorl's face at that!

I love this collection of drabbles - and the subject matter.  I really liked the twins' appearance described from the horse's POV.

Jay

Elena Tiriel - 11 Jan 07 - 2:20 PM

Hi Jay!

"She is our grandmother."
*Grin*
I wish I could have seen Eorl's face at that!

LOL! Don't we all? I envision it turning white, with a definite "Oh, Béma!" kind of expression.... And his wise old second-in-command is gritting his teeth and trying hard not to roll his eyes at his blasted young lord's gaffe....

I love this collection of drabbles - and the subject matter. I really liked the twins' appearance described from the horse's POV.

Yeah, I definitely go for the more unusual POVs.... Though, in his defense, Felaróf paid far more attention to the twins' magnificent horses than their Riders....

Thank you so much for your kind words, Jay!

AFriedman - 12 Dec 07 - 6:18 PM

These drabbles were a pleasure to read and good luck with MEFAs!

I LOVE the balance of POVs--everything from the expected characters, the Elves and Men, to the villains and the beasts.  IMO more people need to write about the Easterlings.  Those were some of my favorite drabbles, especially the really sad one about the Balchoth widow!

AFriedman

Elena Tiriel - 12 Dec 07 - 9:05 PM

Hi AFriedman!

These drabbles were a pleasure to read and good luck with MEFAs!

Thank you so much! It is such a thrill to hear from readers who enjoy my drabbles... ;) And I need to start doing my MEFA reviews right away - where have the last few months gone???

Ah, thank you! *blushes* I love to write from more.... unexpected PoVs LOLOL!

IMO more people need to write about the Easterlings. Those were some of my favorite drabbles, especially the really sad one about the Balchoth widow!

Ah, I'm so glad you liked them! Tolkien wrote so little about Easterlings, so these are purely figments of my imagination. Unfortunately, they didn't come out well in the Battle of the Field of Celebrant, so any Balchoth drabbles in this series will tend to be sad....

I have 16 more drabbles (this is turning into the drabble equivalent of a novel LOL!) that I haven't posted yet (working on the author's notes...), and three of them are from the Balchoth PoV. I'll try to post them next, since you aren't the only one who has told me they especially like "my" Balchoth.

Thank you for such a pleasant surprise - it really brightened my day!

Jay of Lasgalen - 21 Aug 08 - 12:31 AM

Wonderful, as always!  The newest additions are a joy to read - yet Arwen's is so sad.  I love the image of her brothers sewing her shroud and digging the grave, then standing vigil.

And of course I love Elrohir's melancholy as he contemplates all there is to lose.  Glorfindel is a wonderful support.

Jay

Elena Tiriel - 08 Sep 08 - 4:34 PM

Hi Jay!

Have I not answered your comment yet? Please excuse me for being so late!

Wonderful, as always!  The newest additions are a joy to read....

Thank you! *beams*

Thank you, Jay, I'm so glad the burial scene touched you emotionally. It was wrenching to write... I cried throughout the numerous revisions of each drabble.

Jay

Ah, I hoped you would enjoy seeing this scene again.  Sorry it took me so long after your birthday to compile the author's notes and post it.

And thank you — as I mentioned in the notes, not only was this scene written for your birthday, but your story may very well have been responsible for first envisioning Elrohir climbing the walls. Wave

Glorfindel may be a secondary character, but  I really love him (as does my muse Wink ) and like to portray him as a pillar of support for the family of the Peredhel who made him so welcome in his home.

Thank you for your very kind comments, Jay!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 9:28 AM

Ch. 1: Preface

Ah, am looking forward to reading this--bless the MEFAs for causing us to read where we often but skim!

Gwynnyd - 20 Nov 05 - 9:46 PM

Ch. 2: Early 2510 Third Age

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 9:34 AM

Ch. 2: Early 2510 Third Age

Cirdan also knows such foresight, then?  Interesting!

And this has to have been among the hardest of Elrond's many losses--knowing it will be so many centuries before he will be reunited with the woman he loves.

Neaththetrees - 25 Oct 09 - 4:49 AM

Ch. 2: Early 2510 Third Age

I read this pasage with tears running down my face. At Celebrian's words "Remember to sing under the stars!" I was lost. They were too close to my great-grandfather's words of advice for life : enjoy rolling your cigarrette.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 9:45 AM

Ch. 3: 7-8 April 2510, Night

There was much to mourn, but also much to praise.  And they know the two sons of Elrond remain themselves in spite of their resolve to destroy as many of the orcs as they can.

Elena Tiriel - 27 Dec 07 - 9:52 AM

Ch. 4: 8 April, Morning

Hi Denise!

Oh, hooray! My compliments to the tabloid!

Yes, I understand that dumpster-diving is occasionally lucrative.... Wink

This is a wonderful set of drabbles depicting a... legendary relationship. *g* I've never seen Celeborn treated quite like this, but love the results - and the ending.

Thank you! You do know that you inspired this set of drabbles, don't you? Laugh out loud I read your extremely kind MEFA review on Christmas Eve, which gave me the kernel of an idea.... and I stayed up all night to write the drabbles and post them on Christmas Day. (And I've actually tweaked them several times since.... usually I get that out of my system before I post new material, but this was a very special occasion!)

The insults are inspired, and this is quite the lovely image:
Glaring, he sends for his sword and slowly starts to strip.
*Denise fades into dreamland for a while...*

ROTFLMAO Yes, I was rather fond of that line myself... do you know that I had one extra word available, so added slowly at the very last minute? I think it added a certain je ne sais quoi.... and it does explain why Celeborn and Elrohir later were sparring wearing naught but breethclouts and braids, and bearing live steel.... Pimp

Also loved: The Lady would be angry if I unduly disabled him...
The Lady? You'd better worry about Celeborn's fangurls, Hirvegil.

LOL! I think Hirvegil actually knows that.... he is the one who told Celeborn that a blunted weapon doesn't suit him (though I swear I didn't plan that! I just let them snark....) Devilish

Great job, Elena Tiriel, and a sweet Christmas present for us readers!

Thank you so much for the compliment, Denise, and especially for inspiring this chapter! Wave It was really great fun to write!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 9:50 AM

Ch. 4: 8 April, Morning

A good plan, and one that worked well for centuries....

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 9:52 AM

Ch. 5: 8 April, Evening

Now, that would have been a spectacle!  Heh!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 9:55 AM

Ch. 6: 8-9 April, Midnight

Am glad she has her husband to strengthen her this night.

Elena Tiriel - 14 Dec 06 - 9:34 PM

Ch. 7: 9 April, Morning

"Man-dappled blood"--what a wonderful turn of phrase, at so many levels!

Cheers--

Adaneth

Hi Adaneth!

Thank you so much! Your comment did indeed cheer me, tremendously!

The word limits on drabbles can be a challenge. We must find ways to say a lot in few words, rather than many -- but I find that sometimes this is liberating, rather than constraining... Thank you for recognizing this!

Jay of Lasgalen - 25 Jun 07 - 1:47 PM

Ch. 7: 9 April, Morning

Thank you for this wonderful update!  There are two parts I particularly love - Galadriel's musings on the fate of the males in her family, destined to be warriors; and Elrohir's thoughts as they cross the Anduin that all their training was focused on that moment.  It's a chilling thought.

I love the lembas blessing too - the qualities and strengths it confers seem to sum up the twins so well!

Jay

Elena Tiriel - 26 Jun 07 - 5:46 AM

Ch. 7: 9 April, Morning

Hi Jay!

Thank you for this wonderful update!

You're very welcome! I actually wrote the new drabbles a couple of months ago, but Real Life got in the way... I really had to force myself to polish them and finish the Author's Notes.

There are two parts I particularly love - Galadriel's musings on the fate of the males in her family, destined to be warriors; and Elrohir's thoughts as they cross the Anduin that all their training was focused on that moment.  It's a chilling thought.

Thank you! Yes, the twins come from a long line of warriors who mostly didn't live out their full lives... and who were obsessed with protecting what they value, for good or bad. I am trying to show how the twins became obsessed with protecting all Free Peoples; which I think is considerably more honorable than protecting jewels....

Thanks! I really struggled with that blessing, and it doesn't really sound all that Elven to my ear... but I think it suits the occasion well enough.

Jay, I so appreciate hearing that you enjoyed the drabbles, and especially which parts pleased you most. Your comments have really made my day... Thank you!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 10:11 AM

Ch. 7: 9 April, Morning

The warriors are now keen to be about their trade.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 10:14 AM

Ch. 8: 12 April, Late Morning

Trust a horse-lord to question the bloodlines of his new allies' steeds!  Heh!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 10:49 AM

Ch. 9: 13 April, Evening

Accepting the life of the Eldar takes perhaps more experience than this Man knows.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 10:55 AM

Ch. 10: 14 April, Early evening

(SHUDDERS!)  Very orclike!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 11:39 AM

Ch. 11: 14 April, Late evening

It's certainly a valid worry!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 11:56 AM

Ch. 12: 14-15 April, Night

I love looking on this moment with 20/20 hindsight, knowing all this came to naught.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 12:33 PM

Ch. 14: 16 April, Morning

Nine years old!  Yes, children even!  How horrible!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 12:35 PM

Ch. 15: 16 April, Afternoon

Ugh!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 12:37 PM

Ch. 16: 20 April, Afternoon

Not the place to take a rest, obviously.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 12:45 PM

Ch. 17: 2511 Third Age

The lie of invincibility appears to be too well regarded by these.  And now--defeat unforeseen, tragedy that by decree may not be mourned, losses compounded by lies and denial and gross exaggeration.

I mourn for the widow.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 12:59 PM

Ch. 19: 2933 Third Age

And so another of the Heirs to Isildur falls.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:01 PM

Ch. 20: Three Days Later

Endures, although her own hope is dead--always the wives of the Heirs have given their own hope for the rest of their people.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:04 PM

Ch. 21: Weeks Later

Yes, to have lost this much of their family must have been the worst.  And the loss of Ivorwen must have been so difficult for Dirhael.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:09 PM

Ch. 22: 2995 Third Age

And the tales continue.  And one day Eomer shall MEET those two Ghostriders himself!  And fight by their sides!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:11 PM

Ch. 23: 3002 Third Age

And too soon does she follow him, leaving their children orphaned....

At least the stories continue, and he did not die a coward.

DKP - 19 Jan 09 - 7:36 PM

Ch. 24: Early August, 3019 Third Age

Wonderful spin on the resurfacing of old tales, Elena Tiriel! The eye-witness account would have been a boon for any Rohirric tale-teller, but I particularly love the young, stammering, newly-enlightened bard.

And the twins: marvelous as always. Their interactions with each other and the Rohirrim are funny, delightful and true-feeling. I do love Elladan's "denseness", and:

"...you have got to stop shocking mortals like that."

Hee! But it's so much fun - as are these drabbles! Thanks for the update, ET.

Denise

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:17 PM

Ch. 24: Early August, 3019 Third Age

Ah, but I remember part of this section, although the last one is new to me.  So, the word finally seeps in that these two DID fight alongside Eorl!  Yes!

Jay of Lasgalen - 08 Feb 08 - 12:58 PM

Ch. 25: 29 September 3021 Third Age, Evening

Beautiful.

Although Tolkien never mentioned Elladan and Elrohir being there as their father sailed, I'm certain that they were!

I love the memory of Maglor, too - it would be wonderful if one day he met Elrond's sons.  I know he'd have loved them as he did their father.

Jay

Elena Tiriel - 17 Feb 08 - 10:14 AM

Ch. 25: 29 September 3021 Third Age, Evening

Hi Jay!

Beautiful.

Thank you! *beams*

True! I think Sam wrote that part of the Red Book, and he tended to focus on Frodo and people from the Quest (plus Círdan, since he greeted them to Mithlond).

Actually, I expanded the Author's Notes to mention this; you know me... I write short drabbles with infinitely long Author's Notes! LOLOL!

I love the memory of Maglor, too - it would be wonderful if one day he met Elrond's sons. I know he'd have loved them as he did their father.

Yes, Maglor showing up in this scene *really* surprised me... which is why I posted the chapter with only one drabble (there will be more later, I hope *gives muse stern look*). This scene just came totally out of the blue! *hugs muse*

And yes, I think Maglor would love the Twins... they would remind him of Elros and Elrond, who gave him a chance to redeem himself. He always struck me as the most tragic of the sons of Fëanor -- an artist by temperament, compelled by his oath to participate in soul-deadening deeds.

Thank you for your comments, Jay!

Freyalyn - 19 Aug 08 - 1:29 AM

Ch. 25: 29 September 3021 Third Age, Evening

This is wonderful.  Found by accident and read with great appreciation.  Thank you.

Elena Tiriel - 08 Sep 08 - 4:40 PM

Ch. 25: 29 September 3021 Third Age, Evening

Hi Freyalyn!

So sorry for not responding to your comment earlier!

Isn't it always an unexpected pleasure when we stumble across a story that we enjoy reading? Thank you for so kindly letting me know you liked it!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:20 PM

Ch. 25: 29 September 3021 Third Age, Evening

I, too, have imagined that Maglor sang farewell to Elrond, and that he and Galadriel heard it.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:25 PM

Ch. 26: Mid-October 3021

He appears to need it.

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:27 PM

Ch. 27: 121 Fourth Age

Just as I, too, have imagined the same scene.

DKP - 19 Jan 09 - 7:48 PM

Ch. 28: Fourth Age — Undying Lands

Ah! *rubs hands together excitedly* More than one update to savor!

This is a delightful exchange, and a beautiful characterization of Celebrian. I love the nut-cakes being called one of the more ingenious melodies in the Song (a great way to look at all the variations in chocolate!). The subtlety and sheer slyness of Ilúvatar's designs and pleasures of the flesh, indeed... *g*

Very clever banter and glorious writing. It's always hard for me to believe you are limited in your word count, because the drabbles never feel restricted.

I also love Mithrandir's reflections on the true reason behind Celebrian's long-ago departure - an unselfish one. I'd never looked at it that way, but it fits wonderfully.

Agape4Gondor - 19 Jan 09 - 8:57 PM

Ch. 28: Fourth Age — Undying Lands

DKP put up a last line about Celebrian's departure and the reason. I'm in the midst of writing a dark Celebrian tale and so was most intrigued.

I'm very glad I clicked onto these offerings... besides a thought-provoking line, they are delightful. Thanks ET. Now - to read more!

DKP - 19 Jan 09 - 7:56 PM

Ch. 29: Fourth Age, Sometime After

This latest addition is beautiful and moving, ET. A lovely rendition of Nienna and her ministry, and her delicate unravelling of her patient's misery.

I absolutely love the strength of Galadriel's connection to Celeborn. This segues nicely into Celeborn's thoughts in the next drabble. Now: their reunion? *makes puppy eyes*

"And Celeborn never suffered fools gladly. He had a way of... discouraging servile behavior."

Ha! I need no further encouragement to skip over to the Addendum and review Celeborn's relationship with one of his so-called minions... *g*

Gwynnyd - 20 Nov 05 - 9:50 PM

Ch. 30: Fourth Age, Morning — Middle-earth

Barabra:

I am so sorry I missed this story before. I like it very much.

Gwynnyd

Aiwendiel - 26 Oct 09 - 2:39 PM

Ch. 33: Three Years Later

Just found this-- awesomely beautiful. Now I'm going to be pondering sea shanty tunes that will go with the lyrics... "...to the lamplit quays of Avallone" all night! Loved your characterizations of both Cirdan and Glorfindel. Thanks!

Gwynnyd - 21 Nov 05 - 6:41 AM

Ch. 35: Author's Notes

Ah, another person who believes in copious author's notes.  Kindred spirit!

mistry89 - 27 Jul 07 - 11:44 PM

Ch. 35: Author's Notes

These were rec'd by Eresse (I think), and I've really enjoyed the glimpses of the sons of Elrond through the various points of view.

Thank you!

Elena Tiriel - 28 Jul 07 - 12:58 PM

Ch. 35: Author's Notes

Hi Mistry89!

Thank you! I so enjoy hearing from my readers... and thank you also to Eresse for the rec. I write these drabbles for myself -- at the promptings of an *extremely* fickle muse LOL! -- and it is so gratifying to know that there are readers who enjoy them, too!

Thank you!

You're very welcome!

Larner - 22 Oct 09 - 1:45 PM

Ch. 35: Author's Notes

A fair and beautiful and too often sad yet triumphant story.  And fully worthy of Tanaqui, whose own drabbles have delighted so many and so profligately!

Thank you.  Haven't commented on the last few chapters due to time constraints--must leave shortly for work.  I hope that your muse--and Liz--may move you to continue in this vein again one day.

Elena Tiriel - 23 Oct 09 - 5:00 AM

Ch. 35: Author's Notes

Hi Larner,

Thank you so much for your kind words about Fell and Fair! No one has ever commented on every chapter before, and I can't begin to tell you how thrilled you made me!

A fair and beautiful and too often sad yet triumphant story.

Ah, thank you for that observation! While writing F&F, I actually fell in love with the sons of Elrond after having so thoroughly explored their basic humanity (if such a word can be attributed to Peredhil!)

It's amazing that I didn't have any idea what the finished story would look like when I started -- no clue that it would end up being an entire story arc, told in drabbles, rather than a regular drabble series... and I'm really pleased that it did, as well as grateful for the all the feedback from my generous beta-reader and so many others....

I would like to finish the author's notes, and still have many ideas for other scenes that I would like to fill in, but my muse has decided to take a permanent vacation... *sigh* maybe someday he'll decide to come home, even if only to get me to do his laundry....

Thank you again for your perceptive and heart-warming comments, Larner!

DKP - 25 Dec 07 - 10:24 PM

Ch. 36: Addendum

Oh, hooray! My compliments to the tabloid!

The insults are inspired, and this is quite the lovely image:

Glaring, he sends for his sword and slowly starts to strip.

*Denise fades into dreamland for a while...*

Also loved: The Lady would be angry if I unduly disabled him...

The Lady? You'd better worry about Celeborn's fangurls, Hirvegil.

Great job, Elena Tiriel, and a sweet Christmas present for us readers!