Comments for: Many Guises and Many Names

Talk to Gandalfs apprentice

demeter d - 06 Feb 06 - 1:01 AM

Haven't visited the list of new stories for a long time.  I just discovered this peice of yours. This last chapter is lovely. A happily ever after moment like i always imagine when I read the books.  I have just read all of them but the Denethor chapter.  They are all charming.  thank you for sharing them.

Gandalfs apprentice - 07 Feb 06 - 6:03 PM

Hi, demeter d

Thanks for your kind review of my drabbles and vignettes. As I write them I add them in their place according to where they would fall in Aragorn's lifetime. Eventually, I hope to have a collection that reflects most of his life--or at least his many names!

Gandalfs apprentice

DrummerWench - 06 Aug 06 - 7:26 PM

Hi, G.A. -
I am not much of a drabble fan.  That said, I really like this series of short pieces.  The short and medium length connected vignettes read as if they are seamlessly part of a larger whole (to me).
I assume they are all in the "Sword of Elendil" -verse.
Good reading here!
DrummerWench

Gandalfs apprentice - 09 Aug 06 - 10:56 AM

Thanks, DrummerWench, for your comments on "Many Guises and Many Names." They are "Sword of Elendil" verse in the sense that I view them as entirely compatible with that tale. The only one that derives from "Sword" more directly, however, is "Spinning," about Arwen waiting the arrival of Aragorn in Lorien. Tolkien doesn't tell us what she thought about Aragorn before that; I believe she already had feelings and did not fall in love with a suit of clothes!

RS - 14 Dec 06 - 1:18 PM

Ch. 7: Epiphany (Denethor, Ecthelion)

Hi Gandalfs apprentice!

Whoah! A rude awakening for Denethor...truly a disturbing epiphany for him!  Thorongil's silence and movements said a mouthful.  I really enjoyed this.

RS

RS - 03 Jan 07 - 2:50 PM

Ch. 10: Clothes Make the Man (Celeborn)

"It is a Noldorin obsession"...Love that line! I love the fact that Celeborn was "sort of" involved with Galadriel's "doings".

This just tickled me!

Larner - 19 Dec 07 - 3:56 PM

Ch. 10: Clothes Make the Man (Celeborn)

Humor her indeed!  Heh!  But Celeborn is right, of course!

Love it, GW.

Silivren Tinu - 03 Jan 07 - 3:56 PM

Ch. 12: Pipeweed (Gandalf)

I like how you explore so many different sides of Aragorn and stages of his life in these drabbles and vignettes, and include so many other characters while you're at it. I especially enjoyed this chapter, probably because I always loved the the relationship between Aragorn and Gandalf in the books.

"For a man with so little pride, you have remarkable goals," - A perfectly fitting description of Aragorn before he became Elessar.

I also loved the vignette about Estel stealing Asfaloth - poor Glorfindel, he should better get used to it. ;-)

Soubrettina - 07 Feb 07 - 5:15 AM

Ch. 22: Work Detail (Arwen)

Somehow I really, really love Arwen's dialogue for this- the way she starts a conversation with the actualy point without any build up to what the hell she's talking about. Not only did it make me laugh like crazy, but it seemed very in character. Somehow she's not exactly tuned into the same frequency as the rest of us... or rather, we're not tuned into hers and she doesn't always adjust for that.

Laugh out loud

Soubrettina

RS - 14 Jul 08 - 9:32 PM

Ch. 24: Fugitive

Found this story at another site and I wanted to share my comments here.... I love your fatherly Aragorn...calm and collective---"you will never do this again" "She knew what was coming. He never shouted at her, never even scolded her. Instead, he would talk to her, and somehow he always made her see everything differently". What a treat to find this. I have been keeping up with "Sword of Elendil" (and diligently waiting for an update) and to run into this story.... it somehow seems, to me, an extension of "Sword". I love the fact that Aragorn named one of his daughter's Gilraen and that Ivorwen was able to know her daughter's namesake.

Well, when you are done with that story, maybe you can continue this (don't hold my breath..right?) I'd like to find out if another war did break out.

Mar'isu - 15 Feb 06 - 9:52 PM

Ch. 26: King Elessar's Peace

Dont' tell me this is the end!  I like the idea that Eldarion is showing off the White Tree a century later.  This is after Aragorn has died, correct?

Mar'isu

Gandalfs apprentice - 16 Feb 06 - 8:45 AM

Ch. 26: King Elessar's Peace

Hi, Mar'isu: Thanks for your comment on "King Elessar's Peace." I do mean to continue to add to my drabble series on Aragorn, as the stories are written. Eventually I plan to have at least one little story on each of his names. I write the stories as they come to me, not according to any plan, and they are posted according to where they would fall in his lifetime.

From your comment I see I need to make some revisions in "King Elessar's Peace." It is meant to take place about 10 or 20 years before Aragorn's death--that is, toward the end of his reign when things are supposedly at their best and the peace firmly established. The characters are not Eldarion and his son, but an old man of the common people and his grandson, come to see the Tree that stands for the Peace. You know, it's really hard sometimes to get all that information into a drabble! That's precisely why I like the form.

Thanks again,