Comments for: As the Tide by the Moon

Talk to EdorasLass

roh_wyn - 29 Nov 05 - 9:43 AM

I love this story and how well it portrays both canon characters and OCs.  I also like the descriptions of the political situation in Rohan at the time and how every moment of the story is so fraught with tension.

The only thing I don't like is all those cliffhanger chapter endings!

EdorasLass - 29 Nov 05 - 5:18 PM

Roh_wyn -Thank you so much! I'm really fairly awful at politics, so I'm pleased to hear that the vagueness there is working! :)

I wish I could say I'm sorry about the cliffhangers, but I'm mostly not. It's what keeps me going from one to the next, having a big plot point to pick up!

Thanks again,

Edoraslass

Romanna Nariel - 09 Dec 05 - 9:45 AM

Eddie - this is an incredible story you have going!  I check back so often to see if you've updated...and every time you do I bite my fingernails because I know it's going to be another good one.  Every chapter you answer previous questions while creating new ones...you leave your readers stunned!

Wonderful Job!

EdorasLass - 10 Dec 05 - 9:24 AM

Romanna - Thank you so much! It's been slow going lately, so I'm glad you're hanging in there. :)  And you can sign up to be alerted when I update. That way you won't have check back and be disappointed -- you'll just find out in youre e-mail when there's a new chapter!

Thanks again!
Edoraslass

Katzilla - 13 Jan 06 - 10:05 AM

This is a wonderful story, with very believable characters and a nicely twisted plot. Gríma's fun to write, he is such a resourceful villain! Thank you for a great read!

EdorasLass - 13 Jan 06 - 10:16 AM

Katzilla -- Thank you! I'm glad to hear people are reading this, since I've gotten rather stalled lately.  I promise, I do know what happens and how it ends -- it's just slow going right now.  :)

annmarwalk - 04 Mar 08 - 3:00 PM

Ch. 3: The Advisor II

It's been a very long time since I've read this, and your comment the other evening brought it to my mind. So here I am to savor it once again.

First of all, Theodred is delicious - patient as a cat with a mouse even while realizing that Lathwyn is playing cat-and-mouse with him, too. This Theodred is so very different from the one you usually write that my head is spinning (in a good way) over the idea that someone might actually be playing hard to get with him. Yet you convey their flirtation very economically, giving us just enough (and our seeing it through Grima's POV is an inspired stroke.) It's not so much a triangle (even if Lathwyn might imagine it so) as a puppetmaster and his playthings.

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 2:38 AM

Ch. 11: The Housemaid -IV

I love how you portray the slow change in Lathwyn's feelings, how she falls in love with Théodred and how she slowly realizes that she does love him. You have a wonderful eye for those small nuances of emotions and behaviour.

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:27 PM

Ch. 11: The Housemaid -IV

Thank you! I like slow, gradual changes in characters - it always seems more realistic to me than a whole bunch of epiphanies.

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 2:41 AM

Ch. 12: The Heir - III

Ahhh... I love the exchange of the small tokens as an acknowledgement of their mutual feelings. And again, well done. Your characters are real, they are firmly placed in their culture and society and that makes the story so interesting to read.

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:28 PM

Ch. 12: The Heir - III

I like coming up with cultural details. It's a fun thing to think about.  Thanks!

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 3:05 AM

Ch. 13: The Advisor - V

*shivers* You do Gríma  so well, the way he observes the people around him and tries to use everything he sees and hears for his own advantage.

One thing that was a bit too quick for me in this chapter is how easily Gríma moves from not even thinking that Lathwyn's affections for Théodred are not feigned but real to accepting them. He goes from complete ignorance of Lathwyn's real feelings for Théodred to plotting how to use that for his advantage just a bit too smoothly.

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:17 PM

Ch. 13: The Advisor - V

Hmmm, that's not how it was supposed to come across.  Grima's unsure as to which it is, so he's preparing for either option -- mostly because he doesn't really care whether it's real or not.  Does that make sense?

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 3:41 AM

Ch. 15: The Heir -IV

I have to admit that I am a bit in doubt about this chapter...

At the beginning I feel there is not enough about Eledher, I cannot really *see* her, especially when she starts screaming at them. After that, she's there, and  perfectly characterized, I think. But before that moment, she's a bit "flat".

What made me frown a bit was how quickly Éomer believes her and how calm he remains. Of course that sets off Théodred's reaction very well (that was really great btw, poor man!). But I think if you put in sort of a short, volatile flare of temper at the beginning, Éomer would work better. If he's not so calm and reasonable throughout the chapter.

And *sigh* how horribly sad! :-(

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:20 PM

Ch. 15: The Heir -IV

But before that moment, she's a bit "flat".

Oh, yes, she's meant to be. :)  It is Theodred's POV, after all, and that's his interpretation of her behaviour.

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 3:46 AM

Ch. 16: The Housemaid - V

This is so sad. :-(

But very, very well written.

To finally have someone she loves, and now it's gone, it's her fault, and all that remains is silence and loneliness even when he is there. :-(

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:29 PM

Ch. 16: The Housemaid - V

My poor girl. *sniff*  And it's not even really her fault, except that she's oblivious.

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 3:52 AM

Ch. 17: The Advisor - VI

Is it on purpose that you repeat the paragraph about the bracelet (how it is meant to mark her)?

Apart from that this is really an excellent chapter, watching the strategies of Saruman and Gríma unfold.

*shivers some more*

(I guess that it won't help if I beg you to go AU with this once more?)

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:22 PM

Ch. 17: The Advisor - VI

Yep! I do that sometimes when I tell a scene from one (or more) POVs, so that there's some feeling on continunity -- I know it can feel disjointed at times, with all these frickin' POVs.

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 4:05 AM

Ch. 18: The Siblings

Oh wow! I remember you complaining about Éowyn, that's she's being difficult, and in the first part of the chapter I was like "Huh? Where did that come from all of a sudden???" But then the second part: great!!! It's perfect, and it's excellent timing for introducing Éowyn and some of her background with Gríma troubling her for so long. I'm full of admiration!

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:23 PM

Ch. 18: The Siblings

Thanks! This chapter was a HUGE pain, so I'm glad that it made sense to someone besides me! :)

JunoMagic - 25 Nov 05 - 4:21 AM

Ch. 19: The Heir -V

It is entirely unfair that you make me cry for the last chapter that is posted at the moment.

I feel so sad for the two of them. And how cruel of you to end this chapter with such an ominous cliffhanger!

EdorasLass - 25 Nov 05 - 2:25 PM

Ch. 19: The Heir -V

Wow, I can't believe you sat down and read all these today! Thank you so much, and thanks for all your comments!

And how cruel of you to end this chapter with such an ominous cliffhanger!

Heee. You know how I am. Cliffhangers rule!

JunoMagic - 30 Apr 06 - 3:50 AM

Ch. 20: The Women

Oh, what a great twist! I began suspecting as you elaborated on the mood swings and her fatigue.

What a perfect idea!

This is a really moving chapter and I admire how your develop your characters, dense and subtle. Really well done, this is a pleasure to read.

I'm trying very hard not to hope for a happy end.

One sentence was a bit strange, as if something's missing: "Of course she can speak of these things to no-one, which makes the pressure she is under than much greater."

Thank you for another great chapter!

Yours
Juno

EdorasLass - 30 Apr 06 - 11:12 AM

Ch. 20: The Women

Juno - Thanks!  I thought it would be too predictable a twist, then realized how I could use it in a different way!

And thank you for pointing out the typo. I have a bad habit of typing "than" for "that" and vice versa.

EL

JunoMagic - 30 Apr 06 - 3:58 AM

Ch. 21: The Advisor - VII

Once again I can only say how much I admire your skill in character development.

Your portrayal of Gríma is very realistic and convincing, how easily he discards Lathwyn  "Lathwyn has begun to bore Gríma" - perfect. So many other authors would have started making Gríma begin to suspect Lathwyn at this point, but I like your interpretation so much better. It is much more *real*. He's so self-centered and vain, he doesn't notice what's right in front of his eyes.

I am also enjoying how you set the enemies against each other: not only spying on Rohan, but spying on each other. Evil will often be its own undoing.

Another fascinating chapter.

Yours
Juno

EdorasLass - 30 Apr 06 - 11:14 AM

Ch. 21: The Advisor - VII

Juno- Thanks!

Yep, it is that Grima is self-center & vain, but it is also that he tends to think all servants - particularly female servants - aren't too bright, and couldn't possibly have the sense to fool him.

And IMO, of course there were spies everywhere! :)

EL

JunoMagic - 30 Apr 06 - 4:09 AM

Ch. 22: Interlude - May 3016

Oh, this is so exciting.

I hope that Eledher will be alright, and I'm scared that you will kill Théodred any chapter now.

I enjoyed the little scenes in this chapter, it's a great way to keep your readers on their toes, eager for more.

Yours
Juno

EdorasLass - 30 Apr 06 - 11:16 AM

Ch. 22: Interlude - May 3016

Juno - Hey, I'm not the one who killed Theodred before LOTR even started! It's just canon is all. :)

And I really like writing those little scenes - it's  a nice change to see everything from everyone's POV.

EL

Raksha The Demon - 18 Apr 06 - 11:25 PM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

Could there be a happy ending for Eledher and Theodred?  Hmm; Queen Lathwyn Eledher; has a nice ring to it.  Theodred has some major apolozizing to do first, though.

You haven't killed off Faramir, have you?  I don't like seeing him killed, even in absentia in an AU.

EdorasLass - 19 Apr 06 - 8:50 AM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

Raksha -

Thanks! We'll just have to wait and see about that happy ending.  :)

And no, I haven't killed off Faramir - that was just an example of the inaccurate rumours going around.

roh_wyn - 21 Apr 06 - 8:56 PM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

Well, that was certainly an unexpected turn of events! Can't wait to see what happens next...

oshun - 22 Apr 06 - 10:55 AM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

Good storytelling. I was a few chapters behind and caught up today and was really surprised at where you have taken it. I cant wait for the next installment now! It started off sooo sad--

EdorasLass - 23 Apr 06 - 5:08 PM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

roh_wyn - Thanks! I'm a big fan of unexpected turns of events, as I'm sure you can tell. :)

EdorasLass - 23 Apr 06 - 5:10 PM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

Oshun - Thank you! I'm surprised where it's gone,too. This is really not what I had in mind when I started writing this story. But ah, well, it does what it wants!

JunoMagic - 30 Apr 06 - 4:27 AM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

Now you have made me cry *twice* in one chapter.

I think this is my favourite chapter.

You make Minas Tirith come alive, and it's amazing to see it with the eyes of a stranger.  I love how you stay within character and realistic - how she would be mainly concerned with her life, and not with politics, how news would come to her by chance or not at all... how she would experience the evcuation.

Perfect. Just perfect.

I loved so many details: how you describe Minas Tirith, the market of the Rohirrim, the realistic details (the window in her chamber!) that make the scenes you write so authentic... how you describe the way Eledher is slowly settling in, how she comes to know real kindness for the first time in her life.

The kid is beyond cute. As always I can only admire how well you portray babies and kids so well.

And then the end.

THANK YOU!!!

Yours
Juno

EdorasLass - 30 Apr 06 - 11:20 AM

Ch. 23: The Serving Woman

Juno - I just really want to thank you (and everyone who's commented) for NOT giving away plot twists in the comments. :)

Thank you! Somehow, it's easy for me to describe Minas Tirith as if I were a stranger to it. Plus there are so many little nooks and crannies and alleyways to describe - it's grand fun to think about!

And I was worried that I was getting OOC with Eledher - I was afraid that she was going to come across as suddenly too happy - so I'm glad I managed to keep her in character.

JunoMagic - 20 Aug 06 - 1:23 AM

Ch. 24: Interlude, April 3019

Ah, what a precious chapter. It made for a great Sunday breakfast. :-) I'll be very sad to see this story end.

Yours
JunoMagic

Anoriath - 20 Aug 06 - 4:44 AM

Ch. 24: Interlude, April 3019

Squee!  Only one more chapter!

Oh... wait a minute...

*woe*  Only one more chapter!!!

*sniff*

Oh, my, the longing is almost palpable in this chapter.  Makes my heart ache.

EdorasLass - 20 Aug 06 - 7:36 AM

Ch. 24: Interlude, April 3019

Juno - Thank you! A nice change to the trauma, isn't it?

And I'll be sad to see it end, too. I suspect that's part of the reason I've been so slow updating.

EL

EdorasLass - 20 Aug 06 - 7:37 AM

Ch. 24: Interlude, April 3019

Silli -
Thank you! It's so hard to do longing without hitting maudlin - I'm glad it's come across well.

EL

Larner - 10 Nov 08 - 2:31 AM

Ch. 25: Interlude - April 3019-July 3019

Ah--such a wonderfully crafted, as well as all too likely, AU, especially considering the ptotagonists and the nature of Grima Wormtongue!  And love the resolution!