Comments for: Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Talk to Azalais

Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Areil - 04 Jul 09 - 10:11 AM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

"Never mind the light of Elbereth and the favour of the Valar, man, I have no need of you to bestow them - where is Elrond? Quickly! I must speak with him at once!"

Weather that was written in seriousness to emphasize urgency or jest, I laughed out my heart. It is so wonderfully placed in the seriousness of atmosphere that was building up and melts it away in typical dear old Gandalf-style.

Go to Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Azalais - 04 Jul 09 - 2:50 PM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

Thank you, Areil!  Crikey, it's so many years since I wrote that chapter (this being an Epic Beta Fic That Will Not End to rival Dwim's Lie Down in the Darkness... and I write in very intermittent fits and starts, mostly RL's fault) that I had to stop and think about what I had in mind at the time!

Gandalf is in deadly earnest, I think, and getting irritated with Erestor's obsession with protocol, but I couldn't resist a wry dig, especially given the irony that, though Erestor doesn't know it, Gandalf really is the last person around who needs any help obtaining the Valar's favour...

Are you a new-ish reader?  I get ridiculously excited when I pick up anyone new, because given how long I've been posting this thing, understandably various people have lost the will to live.  If you are, though, I'd better warn you that you'll almost certainly be caught up to the end of The Story So Far faster than I'm writing - but welcome!

Go to Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Cuinwen - 12 Aug 10 - 10:01 PM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

LOL, ". . . and smoking good Old Toby without stopping to savour it is always a bad sign, if you ask me."  Brilliant, that.  I wish I had written it.

Go to Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Azalais - 13 Aug 10 - 1:11 AM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

Thank you Cuinwen! I do enjoy writing Gandalf, even though it´s always a slightly intimidating prospect...Eeeek!

Go to Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

ziggy - 14 Dec 10 - 1:32 PM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

Love this sort of a step away from the action, not involved or really part of it, but an observer. It gives the characters much more status actually, than you are aware of reading LOTR.

Gandalf is really well portrayed -the excitement of his arrival contrasting so beautifully with his grumpy dismissal of Erestor.

Ah, that moment of shared relief and realisation between Arwen and Aragorn.

Go to Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Azalais - 15 Dec 10 - 3:03 AM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

That's one of the reasons I like having an OC (or minor character) as primary viewpoint character I think - I love looking again at the events of LoTR from the perspective of someone 'outside'.

And there is lots more of that kind of gap-filling to come (it's one of the reasons this fic ended up so long - too many irresistible gaps!) so I hope you'll continue to enjoy...

Go to Amid the Powers and Chances of the World