Comments for: Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Talk to Azalais

Andi Scribbles - 18 Jun 06 - 12:48 AM

This story is wonderful! Vivid descriptions, three-dimensional characterizations, and elegant dialogue... all in all, one of the best (and most Tolkein-esque) fics I have read. Well done! Keep the chapters coming, please! I'd like to see more Rowanna/Legolas interaction.

Azalais - 23 Jun 06 - 2:18 AM

Wow  - thank you so much, Andi!  That made my day!  It's always great when someone new discovers Powers and Chances... because I've been writing it for sooo long that I'm always amazed anyone is still reading... It's been on the go for years and I update very erratically, thanks to the combination of RL and unreliable Muse - but you've inspired me to try and get on and finish the next chapter!

Fear not, lots more Rowanna/Legolas interaction to come, tho' not just yet...

DrummerWench - 19 Jun 07 - 10:34 PM

Hi, Azalais!
I'm so happy to see your excellent tale moving forward!  I hope you can keep your muse happy and RL under control enough to keep going.
You're doing such a great job weaving the story in between canon. Smile Also, we're finding out a little more about your MC!

Azalais - 20 Jun 07 - 3:29 AM

Hello Drummerwench!

Wave

You're doing such a great job weaving the story in between canon.

Thank you! That's one of the fun bits of this bit of the story - I have my head in and out of Appendix B and the Minas Tirith chapters continually - so I'm glad it's working for you! Fingers crossed for no writer's block next...

DrummerWench - 15 Jul 08 - 10:23 PM

I'm so happy you updated, Azalais!  I'm really enjoying your story--though that's not exactly the right word for my feelings during your last couple chapters!  It's tense and sad and so well done.

Thanks for writing!

Azalais - 16 Jul 08 - 2:59 PM

It's tense and sad and so well done.

Thank you so much, DrummerWench! (and that was quick off the mark - I hadn't even got round to posting a story alert! Please tell me you haven't been checking daily for updates for the last 6 months...)

Seriously, it's good (and interesting) that you found some tension - given that, at least with regard to canon events, this isn't an AU, and you all therefore know who wins the Battle of the Pelennor, I'm glad there's some dramatic interest left!

DrummerWench - 20 Jul 09 - 9:58 PM

Hi, Azalais -
I have been so enjoying your tale! You are creating a compelling and well-written story. Please continue, and thanks so much for writing!
DW

Azalais - 21 Jul 09 - 3:04 AM

Hello again Drummerwench!  Good to see you're still reading.  Don't worry, I have no intention of giving up now! Next chapter in process of being pondered.

Az

Chelle - 04 Apr 10 - 2:00 PM

Now I'm done and - erm, write faster, could you??

I especially enjoyed seeing the events of the books from the other side, the things Tolkien left out.

Cheers!

Chelle

zauza - 08 Apr 10 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

I just found your story and i am fascinated by it.

Your writing, the story itself, your characters , it's a powerful and compelling tale of "hope, friendship and love" and the way you are weaving in between canon is done so beautifully , and like you promised without fantastic achievements , but those of honesty, courage and love.

Rowanna has won my heart already and i am fiercely hoping for a happy end ,for such an amazing and real character.

I will be waiting for more and for Legolas to realize ,that there will be nothing left for her, without his love.Wink

Zauza

Azalais - 11 Apr 10 - 2:51 PM

Zauza - I'm so glad you're enjoying it; thank you for that lovely feedback!  I couldn't possibly reveal, of course, how it's all going to end Wink but suffice to say there are a few twists and turns to come yet!

Azalais - 11 Apr 10 - 2:54 PM

Chelle - I'm delighted you enjoy the "seeing events from the other side", because that's exactly what appeals to me about writing fic, and why I try to weave in and out of the gaps in canon as closely as I can!

Sorry about the writing speed So embarassed! - thanks to RL I am very erratic! But I do have the next chapter at least half written, so put yourself down for a story alert if you haven't already Wink

Erulisse - 24 Aug 10 - 7:02 AM

The basic commentary on your latest post pulled me into your tale.  The beautiful way that you told it and brought Rowanna and her life into full realization made me lose sleep until all chapters had been read.  I thank you for several hours of joy, and await all additional chapters with great anticipation.

- Erulisse (one L)

Azalais - 29 Aug 10 - 1:24 PM

Wow - thank you, Erulisse! That's just the sort of inspiration I need to get the next chapter knocked into shape - I wrote bits and pieces on my iPhone while I was on holiday but until I pull them together I don't quite know what they amount to.

I'm delighted you enjoyed it so much so far - hopefully not too many more chapters to go!

curiouswombat - 09 Sep 10 - 9:53 AM

I am caught up at last with all the adventures of Rowanna and her better known friends and acquaintances.

I have really enjoyed the story so far - but will now be chomping at the bit for the next chapter, of course...Smile

Azalais - 11 Sep 10 - 2:15 PM

Glad you´ve been enjoying it, curiouswombat!  Am working on next chapter, I promise - that´s the problem with this neverending WIP, people catch up and then hit the brick wall and have to wait for me to get my act together... So embarassed!

DrummerWench - 01 Oct 10 - 9:27 PM

Oh, Yay! A new update! I mean, Oh, No! your poor characters.  Also, Oh, My! excellent use of the sea-poem--very nice.

Like curiouswombat, I appreciated the superstitious reaction to the Lady of the Wood.  Enjoyed the nod toward the Druedain.  The examination of mortality / immortality & relations between mortals & immortals always fascinates me.  We cannot actually know what it's like, as there are no such things (uh, that we know of), but I really like your thoughtful take on it.

Erulisse - 02 Oct 10 - 4:03 AM

What a joy to see a new chapter in this tale.

So, things are grinding towards the confrontration.  When will Rowanna find the courage to speak out truthfully to the Twins and to Legolas?  Truth is deserved, but it doesn't always happen because people are afraid of hurting those that they care about deeply.

You just made my day by posting a new chapter.  Now....next please?????

- Erulisse (one L)

Azalais - 02 Oct 10 - 5:51 AM

Hi Drummerwench! Thank you for the feedback!

Oh, Yay! A new update! I mean, Oh, No! your poor characters.

I'm being so evil to them at the moment - forget Galadriel as the Witch of the Woods...You little devil!

I'm glad you liked the Masefield poem - I've loved it for years, but until I went and dug it out again for this chapter I hadn't realised quite how beautifully it would fit: "I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied..." well, exactly.

Not long to wait for next chapter, it's nearly done!

Azalais - 02 Oct 10 - 5:54 AM

Erulisse - what lovely feedback, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

You're right, everything is definitely coming to a head. And yes, difficulty in putting into words everything that's in their hearts is definitely an issue...

Next chapter very very imminent, like this weekend, barring technological disaster!

Silbereth - 29 Nov 10 - 11:55 AM

This is the best OFC story I've read; full of suspense and excellent characterisation, I found myself really caring about Rowanna throughout :) A brilliant story!

Azalais - 29 Nov 10 - 12:12 PM

Silbereth - thank you so much!  It's only just come out of Beta, after eight years in the writing, and I'm still finding it a bit difficult to stop thinking continually about the characters myself - so I am delighted it struck such a chord with you.

There are going to be some more (much shorter!) Powers-verse stories, if you would like to find out what happens to Legolas and Rowanna next - they'll all be collected together under the story called Ithilien Tales...

Thank you again for such lovely feedback,

Azalais

walkingmoonlight - 20 Mar 12 - 1:19 PM

This is an incredible story. I'm something of a closet fanfic reader, but I told everyone I encountered how incredible your writing is. It was exactly the kind of story I've been looking for, for years--the kind that makes me feel like I did the first time I read LotR. You had me laughing one moment, crying the next, then laughing while crying (literally, when Gimli sends the crying maids home I was laughing as I was sobbing. It left me with that familiar aching sensation, sorry to see the story done, but so happy to have read it.

Aiwendiel - 28 Mar 12 - 1:27 PM

I have just gotten to start reading this after including it in my "bookshelf" list for a long time. What a wonderful tale, I love that we readers are given the perspective of an outsider's viewpoint of such crucial events. And what an outsider! I find I often loathe the OC female dropped (or all the more often shoved awkwardly) into "the story" as a foil or a love interest... But not your Rowanna. She's terrific and very believable. Great work!