Comments for: Amid the Powers and Chances of the World

Talk to Azalais

Andi Scribbles - 18 Jun 06 - 12:48 AM

This story is wonderful! Vivid descriptions, three-dimensional characterizations, and elegant dialogue... all in all, one of the best (and most Tolkein-esque) fics I have read. Well done! Keep the chapters coming, please! I'd like to see more Rowanna/Legolas interaction.

Azalais - 23 Jun 06 - 2:18 AM

Wow  - thank you so much, Andi!  That made my day!  It's always great when someone new discovers Powers and Chances... because I've been writing it for sooo long that I'm always amazed anyone is still reading... It's been on the go for years and I update very erratically, thanks to the combination of RL and unreliable Muse - but you've inspired me to try and get on and finish the next chapter!

Fear not, lots more Rowanna/Legolas interaction to come, tho' not just yet...

dwelf - 02 Sep 06 - 6:27 AM

Ch. :

Hi,

Well done Azalais! Rowanna is convincing and realistically from ME... and she is quite endearing.

I like the way she behaves in this new environment (legend like one).

You are obviously trying to stay cannon, and you are doing a great job at it.  Thank you, I am learning about ME as I follow Rowanna.

Keep it up!!

Azalais - 02 Sep 06 - 1:28 PM

Ch. :

Thank you Dwelf! I'm so glad you're enjoying it. You're right, I do enjoy trying to keep within/around/between canon, so I've learnt an awful lot about M-E in the process of writing this fic so far! - both obscure canon detail, and learning about "my" M-E, in the sense of how I think particular events or places probably felt/sounded/looked (smelled?!) if you were there.

I hope you'll carry on enjoying it and I also fervently hope (but daren't promise!) that I'll get the next half-finished chapter done and up before Christmas!

DrummerWench - 19 Jun 07 - 10:34 PM

Hi, Azalais!
I'm so happy to see your excellent tale moving forward!  I hope you can keep your muse happy and RL under control enough to keep going.
You're doing such a great job weaving the story in between canon. Smile Also, we're finding out a little more about your MC!

Azalais - 20 Jun 07 - 3:29 AM

Hello Drummerwench!

Wave

You're doing such a great job weaving the story in between canon.

Thank you! That's one of the fun bits of this bit of the story - I have my head in and out of Appendix B and the Minas Tirith chapters continually - so I'm glad it's working for you! Fingers crossed for no writer's block next...

DrummerWench - 15 Jul 08 - 10:23 PM

I'm so happy you updated, Azalais!  I'm really enjoying your story--though that's not exactly the right word for my feelings during your last couple chapters!  It's tense and sad and so well done.

Thanks for writing!

Azalais - 16 Jul 08 - 2:59 PM

It's tense and sad and so well done.

Thank you so much, DrummerWench! (and that was quick off the mark - I hadn't even got round to posting a story alert! Please tell me you haven't been checking daily for updates for the last 6 months...)

Seriously, it's good (and interesting) that you found some tension - given that, at least with regard to canon events, this isn't an AU, and you all therefore know who wins the Battle of the Pelennor, I'm glad there's some dramatic interest left!

DrummerWench - 20 Jul 09 - 9:58 PM

Hi, Azalais -
I have been so enjoying your tale! You are creating a compelling and well-written story. Please continue, and thanks so much for writing!
DW

Azalais - 21 Jul 09 - 3:04 AM

Hello again Drummerwench!  Good to see you're still reading.  Don't worry, I have no intention of giving up now! Next chapter in process of being pondered.

Az

Chelle - 04 Apr 10 - 2:00 PM

Now I'm done and - erm, write faster, could you??

I especially enjoyed seeing the events of the books from the other side, the things Tolkien left out.

Cheers!

Chelle

zauza - 08 Apr 10 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

I just found your story and i am fascinated by it.

Your writing, the story itself, your characters , it's a powerful and compelling tale of "hope, friendship and love" and the way you are weaving in between canon is done so beautifully , and like you promised without fantastic achievements , but those of honesty, courage and love.

Rowanna has won my heart already and i am fiercely hoping for a happy end ,for such an amazing and real character.

I will be waiting for more and for Legolas to realize ,that there will be nothing left for her, without his love.Wink

Zauza

Azalais - 11 Apr 10 - 2:51 PM

Zauza - I'm so glad you're enjoying it; thank you for that lovely feedback!  I couldn't possibly reveal, of course, how it's all going to end Wink but suffice to say there are a few twists and turns to come yet!

Azalais - 11 Apr 10 - 2:54 PM

Chelle - I'm delighted you enjoy the "seeing events from the other side", because that's exactly what appeals to me about writing fic, and why I try to weave in and out of the gaps in canon as closely as I can!

Sorry about the writing speed So embarassed! - thanks to RL I am very erratic! But I do have the next chapter at least half written, so put yourself down for a story alert if you haven't already Wink

Erulisse - 24 Aug 10 - 7:02 AM

The basic commentary on your latest post pulled me into your tale.  The beautiful way that you told it and brought Rowanna and her life into full realization made me lose sleep until all chapters had been read.  I thank you for several hours of joy, and await all additional chapters with great anticipation.

- Erulisse (one L)

Azalais - 29 Aug 10 - 1:24 PM

Wow - thank you, Erulisse! That's just the sort of inspiration I need to get the next chapter knocked into shape - I wrote bits and pieces on my iPhone while I was on holiday but until I pull them together I don't quite know what they amount to.

I'm delighted you enjoyed it so much so far - hopefully not too many more chapters to go!

curiouswombat - 09 Sep 10 - 9:53 AM

I am caught up at last with all the adventures of Rowanna and her better known friends and acquaintances.

I have really enjoyed the story so far - but will now be chomping at the bit for the next chapter, of course...Smile

Azalais - 11 Sep 10 - 2:15 PM

Glad you´ve been enjoying it, curiouswombat!  Am working on next chapter, I promise - that´s the problem with this neverending WIP, people catch up and then hit the brick wall and have to wait for me to get my act together... So embarassed!

DrummerWench - 01 Oct 10 - 9:27 PM

Oh, Yay! A new update! I mean, Oh, No! your poor characters.  Also, Oh, My! excellent use of the sea-poem--very nice.

Like curiouswombat, I appreciated the superstitious reaction to the Lady of the Wood.  Enjoyed the nod toward the Druedain.  The examination of mortality / immortality & relations between mortals & immortals always fascinates me.  We cannot actually know what it's like, as there are no such things (uh, that we know of), but I really like your thoughtful take on it.

Erulisse - 02 Oct 10 - 4:03 AM

What a joy to see a new chapter in this tale.

So, things are grinding towards the confrontration.  When will Rowanna find the courage to speak out truthfully to the Twins and to Legolas?  Truth is deserved, but it doesn't always happen because people are afraid of hurting those that they care about deeply.

You just made my day by posting a new chapter.  Now....next please?????

- Erulisse (one L)

Azalais - 02 Oct 10 - 5:51 AM

Hi Drummerwench! Thank you for the feedback!

Oh, Yay! A new update! I mean, Oh, No! your poor characters.

I'm being so evil to them at the moment - forget Galadriel as the Witch of the Woods...You little devil!

I'm glad you liked the Masefield poem - I've loved it for years, but until I went and dug it out again for this chapter I hadn't realised quite how beautifully it would fit: "I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied..." well, exactly.

Not long to wait for next chapter, it's nearly done!

Azalais - 02 Oct 10 - 5:54 AM

Erulisse - what lovely feedback, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

You're right, everything is definitely coming to a head. And yes, difficulty in putting into words everything that's in their hearts is definitely an issue...

Next chapter very very imminent, like this weekend, barring technological disaster!

Silbereth - 29 Nov 10 - 11:55 AM

This is the best OFC story I've read; full of suspense and excellent characterisation, I found myself really caring about Rowanna throughout :) A brilliant story!

Azalais - 29 Nov 10 - 12:12 PM

Silbereth - thank you so much!  It's only just come out of Beta, after eight years in the writing, and I'm still finding it a bit difficult to stop thinking continually about the characters myself - so I am delighted it struck such a chord with you.

There are going to be some more (much shorter!) Powers-verse stories, if you would like to find out what happens to Legolas and Rowanna next - they'll all be collected together under the story called Ithilien Tales...

Thank you again for such lovely feedback,

Azalais

walkingmoonlight - 20 Mar 12 - 1:19 PM

This is an incredible story. I'm something of a closet fanfic reader, but I told everyone I encountered how incredible your writing is. It was exactly the kind of story I've been looking for, for years--the kind that makes me feel like I did the first time I read LotR. You had me laughing one moment, crying the next, then laughing while crying (literally, when Gimli sends the crying maids home I was laughing as I was sobbing. It left me with that familiar aching sensation, sorry to see the story done, but so happy to have read it.

Aiwendiel - 28 Mar 12 - 1:27 PM

I have just gotten to start reading this after including it in my "bookshelf" list for a long time. What a wonderful tale, I love that we readers are given the perspective of an outsider's viewpoint of such crucial events. And what an outsider! I find I often loathe the OC female dropped (or all the more often shoved awkwardly) into "the story" as a foil or a love interest... But not your Rowanna. She's terrific and very believable. Great work!

ziggy - 14 Dec 10 - 1:21 PM

Ch. 7: With Foes Ahead, Behind Us Dread

So I was intrigued by your last comment on my story and then I found this...and am in love with it. I have snatched moments to read this and just had ot stop at this one. It is the best I have read from this perspective. You create that wonderful sense of urgency and trepidation, tension, everything needed. Glorfindel is fabulously well written and that moment where he is arming himself, or rather the nameless scribe is, is just gorgeously written, sumptuous (going to run out of adjectives). And then you bring us back to Bilbo. Perfect.

Azalais - 15 Dec 10 - 3:00 AM

Ch. 7: With Foes Ahead, Behind Us Dread

Hi Ziggy,

Ha! Gotcha! Well, as you know, as far as Sons of Thunder is concerned it's reciprocal... and Powers is finished, so you know you won't be left hanging!

(But would I rather you were reading/commenting on Powers, or writing Sons? Oh, the dilemma...) Laugh out loud

I'm so glad you like the arming of Glorfindel, because picturing that moment gave me shivers, so it's great to hear I managed to convey some of what was in my head.

Hope you enjoy further chapters and I will really look forward to any comments Tongue out

maeglin - 02 Jan 11 - 8:31 PM

Ch. 7: With Foes Ahead, Behind Us Dread

"Down below, Erestor stood again in the hall, at the hub of frantic activity. She recognised the imposing figure of Glorfindel beside him, and several other Elves whom Bilbo had at one time or another pointed out to her, "lords of the Eldar, my dear; some of the greatest princes of the Firstborn lingering anywhere in Middle-earth." They towered even over Erestor, impossibly fair; it seemed to Rowanna as she watched that in the now shadowy hall a pale glimmer surrounded them, as though they cast their own starlight. With a shock, she realised that several of them bore full arms."

What wonderful imagery in a powerful scene!  Has me wondering, who (besides Glorfindel) were these warriors?  Tolkien did not identify the 'others' sent out against the Nine, only implying that there were several.  And here they are, vividly (if fleetingly :) ) brought to life.  Would be great to see your perspective on their identities..

Maeglin

Azalais - 03 Jan 11 - 1:07 AM

Ch. 7: With Foes Ahead, Behind Us Dread

Hi Maeglin! Wave

I was basically riffing off what Gandalf tells the Hobbits about Glorfindel and the unidentified others like him:

"And here in Rivendell there live still some of [Sauron's] chief foes: the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power."

So they have to be returnees from Valinor from before the Change of the World, but that's about all we know - and I'm not enough of a First Age scholar even to speculate, really, though I'd love it if someone did! (hint, hint?...)

Delighted you're reading, and hope you'll continue and will continue to comment too!

Areil - 04 Jul 09 - 10:11 AM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

"Never mind the light of Elbereth and the favour of the Valar, man, I have no need of you to bestow them - where is Elrond? Quickly! I must speak with him at once!"

Weather that was written in seriousness to emphasize urgency or jest, I laughed out my heart. It is so wonderfully placed in the seriousness of atmosphere that was building up and melts it away in typical dear old Gandalf-style.

Azalais - 04 Jul 09 - 2:50 PM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

Thank you, Areil!  Crikey, it's so many years since I wrote that chapter (this being an Epic Beta Fic That Will Not End to rival Dwim's Lie Down in the Darkness... and I write in very intermittent fits and starts, mostly RL's fault) that I had to stop and think about what I had in mind at the time!

Gandalf is in deadly earnest, I think, and getting irritated with Erestor's obsession with protocol, but I couldn't resist a wry dig, especially given the irony that, though Erestor doesn't know it, Gandalf really is the last person around who needs any help obtaining the Valar's favour...

Are you a new-ish reader?  I get ridiculously excited when I pick up anyone new, because given how long I've been posting this thing, understandably various people have lost the will to live.  If you are, though, I'd better warn you that you'll almost certainly be caught up to the end of The Story So Far faster than I'm writing - but welcome!

Cuinwen - 12 Aug 10 - 10:01 PM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

LOL, ". . . and smoking good Old Toby without stopping to savour it is always a bad sign, if you ask me."  Brilliant, that.  I wish I had written it.

Azalais - 13 Aug 10 - 1:11 AM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

Thank you Cuinwen! I do enjoy writing Gandalf, even though it´s always a slightly intimidating prospect...Eeeek!

ziggy - 14 Dec 10 - 1:32 PM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

Love this sort of a step away from the action, not involved or really part of it, but an observer. It gives the characters much more status actually, than you are aware of reading LOTR.

Gandalf is really well portrayed -the excitement of his arrival contrasting so beautifully with his grumpy dismissal of Erestor.

Ah, that moment of shared relief and realisation between Arwen and Aragorn.

Azalais - 15 Dec 10 - 3:03 AM

Ch. 8: He Will Not Pass The Borders

That's one of the reasons I like having an OC (or minor character) as primary viewpoint character I think - I love looking again at the events of LoTR from the perspective of someone 'outside'.

And there is lots more of that kind of gap-filling to come (it's one of the reasons this fic ended up so long - too many irresistible gaps!) so I hope you'll continue to enjoy...

ziggy - 14 Dec 10 - 1:48 PM

Ch. 9: There Shall Be Counsels Taken

And at last, the Council- but again, you dont re-write Tolkien, and I love you for that- it's either from another perspective or outside the written pieces - love the bit with Legola sin the tree, thinking and working out what needs to be done, the memory of the attack, his resentment of Imladris- it must have annoyed Thranduil no end! I have always thought that too.

Azalais - 15 Dec 10 - 3:13 AM

Ch. 9: There Shall Be Counsels Taken

Ziggy - yes, on the whole, rather as you do in Sons of Thunder, I try to avoid straight rewrites of things we have in detail in JRRT (he did it best, after all!) and go for writing "round the edges" or presenting other perspectives. I'm glad you like that Legolas-in-the-tree episode, it's very dear to my heart Wink

ziggy - 18 Dec 10 - 6:44 AM

Ch. 13: Many Paths and Errands Meet

This chapter is just wonderfully written- with such an eye for detail. I particualry liked the scene between Elladan and Legolas- the way you used the candle to show first the steadiness of Legolas' hand, and then the slight tremble as he is disturbed byElladan's words. The whole use of candles to show the passage of time, character's reactions etc is very delicately done and hugely effective.

Azalais - 18 Dec 10 - 8:59 AM

Ch. 13: Many Paths and Errands Meet

Thank you Ziggy! I'm glad you liked the use of the candlelight :-)

Aiwendiel - 28 Mar 12 - 1:33 PM

Ch. 16: When Wind is in the Deadly East

Ah, I was on pins and needles until the very end, wondering if you would fall victim to the obvious but totally implausible plot line (Rowanna as a 10th walker). Am so glad you did not, though I also admit to ruminating on what you might have done with that! But no, all those wonderful canon characters would never have DREAMED of allowing a mere woman to accompany them, even if we wish the Professor hadn't written them as such predictably chauvinistic males. Can't wait to read more!

TariElfLady - 19 Nov 10 - 11:07 AM

Ch. 17: Till the Snows are Melted

I cannot believe you have had no comments on this truly wonderful tale.  It has totally captured my interest and I can't wait to find out who the romance is with.

Azalais - 20 Nov 10 - 3:07 AM

Ch. 17: Till the Snows are Melted

Tari - thank you so much!

The thing about the early chapters is, they were posted before the Comments facility existed on HASA (that's how long this fic took to write!) Same goes for the Forums - you'll find there are comments and Forum threads from about half way through...

Hope you continue to enjoy. And will be intrigued to see what you think of the romance - the first draft of the story made it pretty clear in the author's notes up front who the romance partner was, but once the story was finished I decided to take those out! I'm just finishing tweaking it now, and am then going to move it from Beta to General...

ziggy - 18 Dec 10 - 7:15 AM

Ch. 17: Till the Snows are Melted

Another wonderful chapter, full of little details, like Arwen's embroidering of the banner that appears later in ROTK. I love the careful attention you have given to the plot- and it weaving in and out of LOTR's events, the allusion to events that happen in the background and the lack of mention of those events are written in LOTr- of course, because the Fellowship traveled in secret.

Azalais - 18 Dec 10 - 9:01 AM

Ch. 17: Till the Snows are Melted

Ziggy - yay, you spotted what Arwen was embroidering, top marks! You're really ploughing through the chapters.. (I'm not distracting you from Sons of Thunder, though, am I? hint, hint...)

ziggy - 18 Dec 10 - 10:34 AM

Ch. 22: Still Round the Corner We May Meet

I love this- the atmosphere of fear, the spies, neighbours nforming on neighbours- all very credible in the light of what happens in the main plot of LOTR. I like hte fact that you have portrayed the effect of Wormtongue's rule on the ordinary Rohirrim. I like too the details of their city, the low eaves, the necessary light, the children working and the sense that the city if bulging with refugees who have moved in with kin. And of course it will be Eowyn who helps. I love the way you elevate the female characters and recognise theri roles in the backstory- Arwen's quiet usefulness and now Eowyn's subversive network- very reminiscent of the Resistance, which Tolkien would have loved I am sure!

ziggy - 18 Dec 10 - 10:34 AM

Ch. 22: Still Round the Corner We May Meet

Azalais - 18 Dec 10 - 10:44 AM

Ch. 22: Still Round the Corner We May Meet

I remember really enjoying writing this chapter; I did get very into imagining the background and backstory of what was going on in Edoras. I remember thinking how typical of JRRT it was that he says lots of the Rohirrim have come to Edoras for safety, yet there's no mention of any encampments outside when Gandalf and the Three Hunters ride up, nor of lots of extra people in the streets!

And I did enjoy having Eowyn working her own quiet underground resistance, too - I'm glad that works for you, and that you're still enjoying the story so much. Filling in gaps and embroidering the bits JRRT left out is probably my favourite thing to do in fic, so it's great when my readers like the results!

AndreaH - 10 Dec 10 - 2:48 PM

Ch. 24: Steed went Striding to the Stoningland

Hi, I just found your story a week or so ago. Don't tell me she's got to go riding on again... Maybe I'll read "just one more chapter" before I go to bed Wink. Thanks for the tale, AndreaH

Azalais - 11 Dec 10 - 10:30 AM

Ch. 24: Steed went Striding to the Stoningland

Hi, AndreaH - thanks for commenting! - it's always lovely to know people are reading and enjoying. Though it does seem to have that "just one more chapter" effect on people...

There's a fair bit of riding to and fro still to go at this point, one way and another! Hope you continue to enjoy.

Cheers,

Azalais

Areil - 05 Jul 09 - 10:23 AM

Ch. 27: Over the Land there Lies a Long Shadow

I just noticed a striking fact, our dear lad Pippin and Rowanna are of nearl ysame age

Azalais - 05 Jul 09 - 12:40 PM

Ch. 27: Over the Land there Lies a Long Shadow

I just noticed a striking fact, our dear lad Pippin and Rowanna are of nearly same age

That's true, isn't it?  She's a couple of years older than he is.  Yet interestingly, even though people of Dunedain descent are generally at least as long-lived as hobbits, I never think of Rowanna as in any sense a "tween" though that's definitely where Pippin is.

Perhaps that's as much a reflection of her upbringing - losing her father at a very early age, living independently with her mother, then developing her own livelihood as a horse-breeder - as of her calendar age.

I certainly tried quite hard, when writing the chapters in Minas Tirith where Rowanna and Pippin interact a lot, to make sure she wasn't patronising him.  They're good friends; I think she feels older than him, and she tries to encourage and comfort him where necessary, but actually that's fairly mutual...

You're romping through the chapters, anyway! See - I told you you'd be caught up in no time!

Aiwendiel - 28 Mar 12 - 7:33 PM

Ch. 27: Over the Land there Lies a Long Shadow

Very realistic, her arrival in Minas Tirith, the jumbled throng of the city about to be besieged, finding help from the boys of the Lampwrights street, her mother's mysterious illness... And so cleverly done to bring her to the Houses of Healing and cross paths with Pippin. I really like how again yu show us familiar events through the eyes of one outside the main action-- nice touch, her catching that flash of white light from off the Pelennor!

TariElfLady - 22 Dec 10 - 10:57 AM

Ch. 29: Till the Dark Lord Lifts His Hand

I just wanted you to know that I am still reading this wonderful and totally adictive tale.

I had thought Rowana would end up with one of the twins, but it seems you have something else in mind which is fine with me.  I love Legolas too.

Azalais - 22 Dec 10 - 12:53 PM

Ch. 29: Till the Dark Lord Lifts His Hand

Tari - wonderful! Thanks so much for commenting. And as for the course of true love, obviously I couldn't possibly say a word ;-)

Julie - 17 Jul 08 - 4:33 AM

Ch. 30: Death in the Morning and at Day's Ending

Thanks for another chapter, I liked it! Glad her mother's fever has broken, and a good description of uncertainties when you don't know what's going on elsewhere (and you don't have an escape route). Good luck writing! I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Azalais - 17 Jul 08 - 5:17 AM

Ch. 30: Death in the Morning and at Day's Ending

I was really struck, when I thought about it, by how distant the siege and the battle for the Pelennor might have felt from the Houses and the Citadel, if the geography of MT really is as I (and to some extent PJ) have always pictured it. It clearly takes ages to trudge up from the First Circle to the Sixth, especially the way the gates are offset so you can't go straight up the hill. So I imagine the only messengers going to and fro during the siege would have been the strictly essential, strategic ones (to Denethor, later Gandalf and Imrahil, and possibly also to the Warden of the Houses, but not to all and sundry).

Great fun for fanfic authors, as we can play dramatic-irony games with who finds out what about the state of play elsewhere and when...

Good luck writing! I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Thank you! So am I - I know what happens, RL just has to butt out of the way long enough to let me get a writing head on...

Cheers,

Azalais

ziggy - 19 Dec 10 - 2:38 AM

Ch. 30: Death in the Morning and at Day's Ending

The end of this chapter, you really hit hard with Wulfdan. Made me cry. I think the understated way you show this seige is some of the best writing I have ever seen in fanfic. It is , as you have done consistently throughout this story, been an oblique look at the epic events, but personal and from a woman's perspecitve. I like htat she is not fighting but healing, much more convincing than some, that sh eis frightened and that ehr mother is now sleeping. Wonderful. Utterly compelling and convincing.

Azalais - 19 Dec 10 - 11:16 AM

Ch. 30: Death in the Morning and at Day's Ending

Ziggy - I'm honoured that it moved you so much. (I made myself cry when I wrote Wulfdan, so I'm always evilly glad when it has the same effect on readers...)

As for "some of the best writing I have ever seen in fanfic"... [blinks] Wow. Coming from a storyteller of your calibre, that's quite a compliment. Thank you, indeed. All through the writing of these Minas Tirith chapters I was very conscious that everyone already knows how the siege and the battle turn out, so I had to create tension in other ways - hence very much writing from the POV of minor characters outside the main action, who don't know what's happening. I'm delighted that works so well for you.

Julie - 18 Jul 08 - 2:17 PM

Ch. 31: Life to the Dying in the King's Hand Lying

Thanks for another chapter. This works well; you figured out good ways to get Rowanna close to Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas ... and the talkative Haragond was useful. Works. Good luck writing!

Azalais - 21 Jul 08 - 1:39 AM

Ch. 31: Life to the Dying in the King's Hand Lying

Thanks!  You've actually touched on a couple of things there that made me want to kick off a bit more discussion, so if OK with you I'll copy this across to the P&C forum...

Cheers,

Az

ziggy - 19 Dec 10 - 2:46 AM

Ch. 31: Life to the Dying in the King's Hand Lying

Fabulous- the almost chance encounter, the description of the war torn Minas Tirith, Elrohir turning to her - he is going to be disappointed, isnt he. And then to find Legolas asleep. I htink I would have woken him up - Rowanna is very restrained. Does she know?

Azalais - 19 Dec 10 - 11:48 AM

Ch. 31: Life to the Dying in the King's Hand Lying

Hi Ziggy,

the almost chance encounter - well, it was set up to look as chance as possible, so I'm glad that convinced! I must admit I'm fond of that scene - about the nearest to H/C that I was prepared to allow this fic to get, and there's a tenderness to Rowanna's feelings that prevents her wanting to wake L when he's so obviously exhausted.

Does she know?  - how she feels about him? Perhaps not consciously - though as you'll have realised by now, she finds out well and truly in a couple of chapters' time...

ziggy - 19 Dec 10 - 2:32 AM

Ch. 32: The White Gulls are Crying

I could not stop reading but just have to brielfy to say how wonderfully well you write the seige, the battle etc.

rinlossien - 14 Aug 08 - 9:56 PM

Ch. 33: The Setting Sun, The Rising Sun

Another chapter!  I am rich beyond measure.  It works, on a bunch of levels, but though I know what comes next, canon-wise, at least, I'm left feeling quite desperate to know what comes next for Rowanna and Legolas. As I tell my wanna-be 'tween, it's much more intriguing than knowing all.

The grand realization scene was very well done, accurate both to the characters and to the rest of your story (and to cannon, too, I think). It was almost surprisingly real, a scene between real, grown-up people who, in the pause before the storm starts pounding again, discover an amazing, wonderful thing. Finally, hurrah!

Thanks for a great read, and please, be kind and generous to your muse so she'll treat you in a similar manner.

Azalais - 15 Aug 08 - 12:59 PM

Ch. 33: The Setting Sun, The Rising Sun

Author rubs hands with evil glee Devilish What a gratifying effect to be having on my readership. I promise to do my very best not to leave you hanging for too long!

Phew. I realised after writing this chapter that the rest of this fic could potentially be quite nerve-wracking to post - after all, I've spent 30-something chapters leading up to the Fine Romance; what on earth is going to happen if you guys feel it wasn't worth the wait when we get there?

Finally, hurrah!

And so say all of us Smile Except possibly the Despite-It-Being-A-Romance section of the readership. I can't quite believe the blessed thing has finally got this far.

I'm going to respond in more detail to this and your Forum comment together, over on the forum... Thank you for such lovely feedback!

rinlossien - 04 Dec 09 - 5:09 PM

Ch. 38: The Crownless Again Shall Be King

Oh, Azalais!

Thank you for this most excellent start to the season of light.  I have duties to attend to, but as soon as I'm done, I'll read and comment.  Just as a hint: my birthday's in 21 days (I share it with that famous guy : })

Kathleen

Azalais - 05 Dec 09 - 1:19 AM

Ch. 38: The Crownless Again Shall Be King

I'll be looking forward to your feedback :-)  (and just tell me about the duties; if my Christmas cards never get out this year it will be all Legolas and Rowanna's fault Rolling my eyes...)

DrummerWench - 01 Jun 10 - 9:28 PM

Ch. 40: Of Folk of Men and Elven-Kin

The course of love is not running smooth; if it did, we'd have no story! Azalais, this is all so plausible, all the rumor & innuendo.  Also, I love the parallel conversations R. & L. are having, just beating around the bush and, uh, getting set up for misunderstanding?  I am continuing to enjoy this, even though we're out of imminent danger, all is still fraught.  Great job!

Azalais - 02 Jun 10 - 2:53 AM

Ch. 40: Of Folk of Men and Elven-Kin

The course of love is not running smooth;

Well, of course not, where would be the fun in that? You little devil!

just beating around the bush and, uh, getting set up for misunderstanding?

You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment...

I'm so glad it's all feeling plausible to you - and that you're enjoying it still! Thank you for the lovely feedback!

rinlossien - 11 Aug 10 - 5:12 PM

Ch. 41: I'll Look for Thee, and Wait for Thee

Thank you, Azalais!  Your post made my day.  Lots of low level stress as things begin to return to real life, with hints of future higher level stress. You continue to make this very real, and to add depth to the canon in doing so. I eagerly await the next installment.

Kathleen

curiouswombat - 01 Oct 10 - 4:03 PM

Ch. 42: Until the Stars are All Alight

How good to see a new chapter, and well worth the waiting.

It was good to see Rowanna back with friends in The Mark.  I enjoyed the description of the visit of the elves  - surreptitiously warding off the Evil Eye seems very likely, with all they believe about the Witch of The Woods.

That Arwen's words, spoken to reassure Rowanna, should increase her worries is also very believable.   How difficult it might be for Elrohir and Elladan to be objective about her worries, should she share them.

I

Azalais - 02 Oct 10 - 5:47 AM

Ch. 42: Until the Stars are All Alight

Glad you enjoyed it, curiouswombat! I've been itching to get the story back to Minas Tirith, but I did want to spend some time on the Elves' passage through Rohan - in part because we don't get it in canon at all, and in part because I wanted to show that the culture clash between the Rohirrim on the one hand, and Elven and Elf-friendly cultures on the other, is very much still alive, and will thus have a bearing on some of Rowanna's decisions about her future...

Oh ho, just you wait 'till next chapter. Elrohir's going to [cut for spoilage]...

(Not long to wait, I promise, it's just about written!)

Azalais - 02 Oct 10 - 12:06 PM

Ch. 42: Until the Stars are All Alight

Oh, and I meant to add earlier:

Poor Arwen did unintentionally say all the worst possible things for Rowanna to hear at that juncture, didn't she? (That was deliberate on my part - they were messages I needed Rowanna to hear, and I knew Arwen was in the best position to say them; but I also knew there was no way Arwen would be that unambiguous if she'd known Rowanna's situation. So I had to keep her in the dark and let her inadvertently put her foot in it all over the place ;-) )

curiouswombat - 02 Oct 10 - 3:20 PM

Ch. 43: Wake and Hear Me Calling

Wow!  Two chapters in two days - you spoil your faithful readers.

Elrohir certainly speaks the truth as he sees it - and his points are well made...  Now I worry about what Legolas might decide to do, in the light of that short lecture.

Azalais - 02 Oct 10 - 4:20 PM

Ch. 43: Wake and Hear Me Calling

Elrohir certainly speaks the truth as he sees it

He wasn't pulling any punches. Almost literally, at one point...

Now I worry about what Legolas might decide to do,

Bwahahahahaaaa You little devil!

My work for tonight is done...

zauza - 03 Oct 10 - 7:30 AM

Ch. 44: He Walked Alone and Sorrowing

Argg! How cruel their faith!

I did love how you used Sam to be our "eyes" on the narrative in this chapter of our lovers growing pain while listening to the elves song. He is a caring little Hobbit who sees a great deal of what goes around him . Brilliant.

Our two lovers have a great deal of pain ahead of them , but can i be hopeful that things will get better? That someone, perhaps Sam will have comforting words for both of them?

i love the new chapters, but i hurt with them.

Zauza

Azalais - 03 Oct 10 - 9:58 AM

Ch. 44: He Walked Alone and Sorrowing

Zauza - oh, I know, I hurt too! I´ve made myself cry more than once with the latter chapters of this fic!

Don´t give up hope; any more than that I couldn´t possibly say...

I´m glad having Sam as the POV character for the feast scene worked for you. I tried writing from various POVs and as soon as I hit on Sam´s it all came together much more easily - because he can easily stand in for the reader as a caring but outside viewpoint, I think, and also because (as Julie pointed out some chapters back) he seems to be the only one of the Fellowship who´s picked up some of the Rowanna-and-Legolas vibes...

DrummerWench - 06 Oct 10 - 1:31 PM

Ch. 44: He Walked Alone and Sorrowing

Ohmanohmanohman, way to torture your characters! And your readers...  Really like Sam as POV character--great choice!  Also great the way things joyful for others are so distressing for R & L.  I mean, great for the story, hardly for them!

Azalais - 07 Oct 10 - 4:36 AM

Ch. 44: He Walked Alone and Sorrowing

DrummerWench - I did warn you the Witch of the Woods would have nothing on me... You little devil!

But then how can you have lovely angst and drama and tension (I hope, anyway!) unless I am horrible to them once in a while...

Glad Sam works for you, as he seems to have done for others - I have had this scene in my head for as long as the fic has existed (my big dramatic climax!), but until I came to write it out hadn't settled on the POV; writing it from Sam's POV seemed to flow really easily, which is usually a good sign I find. Glad you liked it!

curiouswombat - 27 Oct 10 - 3:51 PM

Ch. 45: On Journey Long Without a Word

Hmm - the King might have foreseen the problem with Faramir and Éowyn's plan for Rowanna, alongside Legolas' own plans, if only they'd told him...  But they may end up achieving even more than they expect!

Azalais - 28 Oct 10 - 12:39 AM

Ch. 45: On Journey Long Without a Word

I couldn't possibly comment. (Well, I could and I will, but in the Forums, so as not to be too spoilery...)

curiouswombat - 30 Oct 10 - 2:34 PM

Ch. 47: And In a Noon of Gold

"many plants which can safely draw the poison from the soil without harm to themselves – mustard, pigweed, alpine pennycress," Ah - I remember that bit of research!

I can just imagine the emotions of both at this unexpected meeting.  And I can really feel what Legolas felt when he described the sea-longing.

Azalais - 30 Oct 10 - 3:10 PM

Ch. 47: And In a Noon of Gold

Ah - I remember that bit of research!

I thought you might - I'm a great believer in recycling Wink (Though the research was actually done for Powers - that part of this chapter has been written for months - and recycled for the "Six Months Later" LJ drabble, rather than the other way around...

Believe me, the emotions of these two at this point have been washing around in my head for so long, it's a great relief to get them out on the page. They won't give me a moment's peace now till this thing's finished...

DrummerWench - 30 Oct 10 - 5:36 PM

Ch. 48: Beneath the Sky Shall Be Our Bed

Whee! I was reading the previous chapter, then was catching up on the comments & threads when I realized you were probably in process of updating again! So refreshed the "Overview" screen, and there it was!  Yay, you finally got them together, totally believably, too.

Really like the hint of osanwe-kenta (sorry, character map's broke, no dots over the e).  Also, Rowanna is part Numenorean, no?, so she may have a little drip of Elvish blood, too.  For whatever that's worth...

Although you could legitimately end here, am anxious to continue with you in whatever you send our way.  Great job!

Azalais - 30 Oct 10 - 5:54 PM

Ch. 48: Beneath the Sky Shall Be Our Bed

Yay, you finally got them together

[Breathes huge sigh of relief] You're not the only one cheering, believe me! The pair of them have been driving me nuts... Very glad to hear it was believable - I'd hate to let my faithful readers down at this late stage!

The bond isn't really intended to be as specific as telepathy - JRRT seems to reserve that for the most powerful among the High Elves, at least in LoTR; it's more harking back to what Legolas speculated about in the chapter where they first kissed; that because for mortals the fea and hroa are so inseparable (at least in this world), it's physical closeness that really cements the emotional bond between him and R. I wouldn't say they can read each other's thoughts: but emotions, yes...

Just one, short, epilogue chapter to go. OMG. I can't quite get my head round that.

Erulisse - 30 Oct 10 - 7:05 PM

Ch. 48: Beneath the Sky Shall Be Our Bed

Finally all of the angst is resolved and R&L are together again.  Finally they have the maturity to talk together instead of turning away in imagined anger.  And they are able to listen, and to agree that being together - no matter the titles awarded - mattered more than anything else to them.  This is what they had been thinking about for the past year.  They each had run through hundreds of possible conversations and confrontrations in their minds.

Yet, when they finally are together and able to talk again, they don't find themselves as tongue-tied as I would have thought they would be.  It is almost as if they fall into the same comfort levels they had before the night of the Wedding.  I have to agree with other commentors - it's a little too easy.  I wanted nothing more than having the two of them join and be a couple, but it was too easy.

However, I am anxiously awaiting your last chapter.  I will be sorry to say farewell to the tale of L & R.  It's been a delightful journey.

- Erulisse (one L)

ziggy - 19 Dec 10 - 9:27 AM

Ch. 48: Beneath the Sky Shall Be Our Bed

Lovely. And I am scared to read the last chapter because I want to keep this piece of happiness, but I think I know how it will end....

ziggy - 19 Dec 10 - 9:27 AM

Ch. 48: Beneath the Sky Shall Be Our Bed

Erulisse - 31 Oct 10 - 9:09 AM

Ch. 49: Epilogue: Our Days Are Ending

I have read this last chapter several times now, even woke up with it in my brain and had to read it again.  Each time I weep, not for sadness, because how could I be sad at a fulfilling life and life-long love.  No, out of joy, because dreams do come true and love does transcend all.  Thank you - Le Hannon.

- Erulisse (one L)

Azalais - 31 Oct 10 - 9:25 AM

Ch. 49: Epilogue: Our Days Are Ending

Erulisse - what lovely things to say, I'm honoured and moved that you felt like that - that's exactly how I would want my readers to feel!

(Incidentally, in response to your and other people's really helpful crit on Ch 51 I did go back and rewrite parts of it, and also tweak 49 and 50 - thread on this in the story's Forum - would love to know at some point if the revised chapters work better for you...)

ziggy - 19 Dec 10 - 9:33 AM

Ch. 49: Epilogue: Our Days Are Ending

Ok - it is the only way it could end. But that doesn't make it any easier. And now I am going to do whenever I read and End of the Fellowship story- go back and read chapter 1 all over again. Can't write anymore right now- too sad...

Azalais - 19 Dec 10 - 12:01 PM

Ch. 49: Epilogue: Our Days Are Ending

Ziggy - I'm glad the end feels necessary, it should. One of the things I swore to myself about this fic was that if I set out to write an Elf/Mortal romance, I wasn't going to cheat about the possible endings...

But don't be too sad; there's a new ongoing serial, Ithilien Tales, which is going to encompass various vignettes from Legolas and Rowanna's life over the 120 years between Chapters 47 and 48 - sign up for a story alert! The first chapter, A Night in Emyn Arnen, is already posted and if you enjoyed Chapter 47 of Powers, might be to your taste.. ;-)

Thank you so much for reading and for all the comments! I'm delighted you've enjoyed it nearly as much, by the sound of it, as I did writing it.

(Now then - ahem - Sons of Thunder? hint, hint...)