4. Least Expected - by Imhiriel
Soon after crossing the Fords of Isen a sharp challenge disturbs the night.
"Halbarad Dúnadan, Ranger of the North I am," I call back. "We seek one Aragorn son of Arathorn, and we heard that he was in Rohan."
One rider comes forward from the shadowy host facing us. No warrior, this: a wizened figure, face oddly pale by starlight.
"You won't find him here; unbidden stranger that he was..."
Too slow to react to his furtive hand-signal, the lethal arrow quickly robbing me of all senses but pain, the last I hear in life his mocking words:
- "Of all joys this is the least expected!" - Aragorn's words in RotK, The Passing of the Grey Company.
- Halbarad's dialogue is taken from the actual scene ibid.
- Gríma's appearence is as described in TTT, The King of the Golden Hall.
- "We welcomed guests kindly in the better days, but in these times the unbidden stranger finds us swift and hard", says Éomer in TTT, The Riders of Rohan.
This is a work of fan fiction, written because the author has an abiding love for the works of J R R Tolkien. The characters, settings, places, and languages used in this work are the property of the Tolkien Estate, Tolkien Enterprises, and possibly New Line Cinema, except for certain original characters who belong to the author of the said work. The author will not receive any money or other remuneration for presenting the work on this archive site. The work is the intellectual property of the author, is available solely for the enjoyment of Henneth Annûn Story Archive readers, and may not be copied or redistributed by any means without the explicit written consent of the author.