(1) In a late essay on Aman, Tolkien said that every beast that there had ever been except those perverted by Morgoth existed in Aman. There are therefore plesiosaurs in the waters off the Blessed Realm, and cave lions in the foothills of the Pélori. There might even be dinosaurs somewhere about, possibly safely sequestered on the formerly-Enchanted Isles.
(2) Falmariel is an invented name for the Queen of the Teleri, Olwë's wife and Eärwen's mother. The character is quasi-canonical in that her existence is logically necessary.
(3) Hellevantari is the invented name for the invented airship-pilots of Valinor. From hellë - "sky" and vanta- "walk". Literally, "skywalkers". Many but not all of them are Vanyar. I assumed that if the Valinoreans had artificial wings, which they canonically did, after Elwing invented them, they could have airships too.
(4) The Noldor learned to capture light in jewels very early in their history. I assumed that the art would be widespread in Aman by the time of this story (beginning of the Fifth Age, Middle-earth time).
(5) The name Yólanis and everything else about her is my invention, but the character is quasi-canonical in the sense that her existence is logically necessary - she is the mother of Nerdanel and the wife of Mahtan. The red-brown hair was associated with the Aulendili, the especial followers of the Vala Aulë. Mahtan, Maedhros and Amras had it, canonically; I have let Yólanis have it as well because I felt like it.
(6) "Sky-friends" - astronomers
(7) Invented name of Ingwë's wife, the High Queen of all Quendi. Another quasi-canonical character.
(8) Yes, it's a submarine of sorts. If the Vanyar can have airships, the Teleri can have submarines. Don't ask me how they all work. Eldarin technology is of the Clarkeian sort, sufficiently advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic. The name is intended to mean "Deep-wanderer".
This is a work of fan fiction, written because the author has an abiding love for the works of J R R Tolkien. The characters, settings, places, and languages used in this work are the property of the Tolkien Estate, Tolkien Enterprises, and possibly New Line Cinema, except for certain original characters who belong to the author of the said work. The author will not receive any money or other remuneration for presenting the work on this archive site. The work is the intellectual property of the author, is available solely for the enjoyment of Henneth Annûn Story Archive readers, and may not be copied or redistributed by any means without the explicit written consent of the author.